Final

Love's Way

Kibum just recently moved out of their shared dorm following Jonghyun and Taemin, who moved in with their family the year before. Kibum had a reason to move out, he was in a relationship for over 6 months and his boyfriend CJ had finally asked him to move in with him. He was ecstatic as everything in his life was moving smoothly. He was in talks for a new solo release, already filming a new drama and most of all- he was in a perfect relationship with the absolute perfect boyfriend. His life was perfect- or so he thought.

“ OPEN THE DOOR” there was a loud banging on the dorm’s front door. “OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!!!” The banging continued until Minho finally opened the door.  Kibum was standing outside looking absolutely furious for some reason. Before Minho even tried to ask him what happened, he stormed past towards the room that he and Jinki used to share a few months ago. All Minho could do was to watch what was being unfolded right in front of his eyes.

“ LEE JINKI !!!!!!!!” Kibum sounded so angry and it was scary. Jinki heard him earlier and was already at the door while Kibum was breathing fire at him.

“ What.. what’s going on Kibum?” he asked genuinely confused.

Jinki got his reply with a slap across his right cheek.

“First of all , LEE ING JINKI.. KNOW YOUR PLACE !! HOW DARE YOU PUNCH MY BOYFRIEND!! how dare you in to my life??? Who do you think you are????? What makes you think that you can walk around punching my boyfriend?”

Jinki then realised what this was about and he also knew that Kibum was in no state to talk or understand. Instead of trying to explain himself , he did what he thought was the best thing to do. He muttered a quiet “I’m sorry, Kibum”, and closed the room door in front of Kibum’s face and latched it.

“ YOU ING COWARD, JUST STAY OUT OF MY LIFE” Kibum spat bitterly.

Minho couldn’t watch this anymore as he stepped in and dragged the fuming Kibum to the living room.

“ Kibum, I don’t know what the hell happened but I don’t think I can watch you treat Jinki hyung like this. You knew him for 10 freaking years and you should know him better than anyone. You should know that he wouldn’t hurt a fly without a reason”  Minho noticed that Kibum was slowly calming down and it was a good sign.

“CJ HAD TO GET 5 STICHES MINHO, WHAT WAS SO BAD THAT HE COULDN’T HAVE TALKED? THERE’S NO EXCUSE, IT’S HIS FAULT”

Minho knew that Kibum was trying to convince himself more than anything right now.

“Anyways, I’m leaving Minho. I have to get home”

Minho watched a flustered Kibum leaving the door. He knew that Kibum was already feeling guilty for what he just did, but he didn’t say anything and instead, quietly closed the door behind him.

Kibum was feeling just more than guilty. He knew that he had crossed the line and he was feeling like a complete douchebag for losing his temper. He didn’t mean to hit Jinki and he couldn't erase that look of hurt that flashed across Jinki’s eyes when he did.

It was already late but Kibum desperately wanted a drink . Instead of heading home, he decided to drive over to his favourite bar around the same neighbourhood.  He was glad to see that that his favourite bartender and also close friend, Mir was working that night.

“Give me the usual, but stronger please” Kibum said while getting himself up on the bar stool.

“looks like someone’s in a bad mood” Mir raised an eyebrow while preparing his drink as he saw Kibum releasing a deep sigh.

“were you at the dorm just now? Is Jinki feeling better? Mir asked.

“ Um why would you ask that? Why would Jinki not be better?” Kibum asked nonchalantly.

“ Oh, I thought you were at the dorm to check on him. He was in a brawl with CJ the other day and he got beat up pretty bad” Mir watched Kibum’s reactions change by the second from confusion to shock.  “Wait what??? What do you mean? Mir you need to tell me what exactly happened that day.” Kibum was starting to worry because something obviously did not sound right.

“Jinki told me not to tell anyone anything, you know how he is. But I think you need to know because Jinki is an idiot. I was on shift that day and I saw everything. CJ was here with his friend and also a girl that I’ve never seen before. I'm sorry to say this Kibum and I know that it's going to be hard, but I could see that he clearly being flirty with the girl from the start. Jinki was there but CJ didn’t see because he was at the bar counter. I was also keeping an eye on Jinki because I could see that he was becoming tense by the minute watching them. He kind of lost it when he saw CJ leaning for a kiss from the girl.  It all happened too fast then, Jinki walked over to him and punched him straight on his face.  But CJ’s friend came for his rescue and started beating up Jinki instead. I had to get involved and threaten them that I’ll call the cops or they would have done some serious damage to him. I’m sure he was hurt pretty bad especially in his stomach, but he just told me to act like nothing happened, gave me his megawatt smile and walked away. He’s an idiot, I bet he didn’t even treat any of his injuries”

Kibum didn’t know what upset him, the fact that his boyfriend was cheating on him or the guilt from treating Jinki like earlier when he was in fact standing up for him. He only knew that right now he had to go to Jinki. He thanked Mir and drove back to the dorm.

As he was walking in, he saw the familiar silhouette of Jinki crouching outside the entrance to the dorm and Kibum’s heart felt so heavy seeing him staring in to space. He felt tears threatening to fall from his eyes. 

“Jinki hyung” Kibum saw that Jinki tensed up when he saw that it was him but he looked at him with eyes full of questions. Kibum slowly walked up to him and lowered himself in front of Jinki to match his eye level and reached to cup Jinki’s face. “Hyung, why didn’t you tell me?” he asked as his tears finally gave way and rolled down his cheeks. “ why did you do it?, why did you have to fight them and hurt yourself, why are you always hurting quietly, I hate you”.  Kibum was now sobbing hard and shaking, and instinctively Jinki took over and held Kibum in his arms without saying anything . “ He.. he cheated on me.. I treated him so well, I loved him so much but maybe I wasn’t good enough” Kibum continued to cry uncontrollably and every emotion hidden inside his heart was pouring out. “ Shh, Bummie, he’s just stupid not to see how amazing you are, it’s not you but him, just come home. He doesn’t deserve you “ Jinki felt Kibum softly nodding while still sniffing his tears.

Kibum felt much better and calmer after he cried his heart out. Jinki then led him to the dorm and he made some tea for both of them. Kibum huddled next to Jinki on their couch and sipped his tea while Jinki rubbed soothing circles on his back. Although Kibum was broken, he also felt safe around Jinki. Just like how it used to be before he moved out. Kibum then remembered what Mir told him about Jinki’s injuries.  He slowly placed his cup on the table next to the couch and ran his hands under Jinki’s shirt. Jinki was visibly taken aback by his touch but Kibum’s warm palms softly hovering over his black and blue bruises were comforting and Jinki just let him. While Kibum was grazing his stomach, Kibum softly spoke. “Thank you for standing up for me hyung. But please don’t ever do that again”. Kibum was tearing up again when he saw the bruises on Jinki’s torso as his shirt rode up while he was running his hands on him.  Jinki just hummed in response. But he knew that he would definitely do that again if ever he saw that bastard. Both of them fell asleep in each other’s arms that day. Just like how they used to when they were sharing the same bed at the dorm.

Jinki drove Kibum to CJ’s apartment the next day to bring over his belongings. He walked Kibum to the door and for Kibum’s relief, CJ wasn’t even home. Kibum had texted him that morning telling him that he wants to break up and then he had simply replied with an “ok”. So that was the end of his fairy tale. Just like that. Ended over a text. But somehow, he felt like he was finally free. He knew that there was no point crying over a sick bastard like him.

Life with Jinki and Minho back in the dorm reminded him of the small pleasures in life he took granted for. Minho was his best friend and Jinki was his safe haven, he was slowly starting to enjoy life. Everything was fine except for one slight problem. Kibum knew from the way his heart was acting like a high school girl’s around Jinki- that he was falling for him. And that wasn’t good. Jinki was already taken and straight. He couldn’t believe that he was steering towards possibly a bigger heartache.

The main problem was Jinki, he wasn’t helping Kibum either. How could Kibum not fall for someone who makes him feel like the most precious person in the world?  Jinki always treated Kibum like a princess. He would always check on him and take care of him, and just did every little thing to make him happy. He would always cuddle him at night and kiss him on his forehead when he wakes up. He will back hug Kibum when he’s busy in the kitchen or just lay down his head on his lap while watching TV. Jinki was extremely clingy when it came to Kibum and it was nothing new. But something in Kibum just sparked and he’s not able to go back anymore. Every little thing that Jinki did, it made Kibum’s heart flutter and he also was having problems trying to hide himself from blushing furiously. Kibum knew that for Jinki, they were just gestures of affection but it wasn’t any help to calm his storming heart.

Things became worse for Kibum when Jinki’s girlfriend Tiffany was back in town from her tour. They had little time to spend with each other and it broke Kibum whenever he saw Jinki being affectionate towards anyone else other than him.  Kibum knew Tiffany for the longest time and they were friends, but he just couldn’t help feeling like he was third wheeling all the time Jinki insisted that he wanted him to go out with them.

But end of the day Jinki still didn’t change, he never changed.  He always made sure Kibum was loved too, just that he had more responsibilities and lesser time to spend with him.

Later that November, Kibum got invited as a VIP for a Prada event. He definitely didn’t want to miss it but he knew that CJ would be there. He was honestly afraid to go alone. As Kibum voiced his worry to Jinki , he suggested that he could accompany Kibum instead. Kibum knew that he just fell in a little more love with Jinki. Little did Kibum know that Jinki didn’t want Kibum to go alone either, as his over protective nature kicked in for his beloved Bummie.

Kibum helped Jinki dress up for the event and Kibum was in awe at his own ability looking at the gorgeous man right in front of him. Kibum also looked extremely dashing in his Prada ensemble and Jinki’s heart did a little flip looking at how beautiful Kibum looked. But of course it’s normal between friends, Jinki convinced himself while back hugging Kibum and getting a smack in return for ruining Kibum’s hair.

Jinki entered the event with his arms linked with Kibum and they had a nice time mingling with friends. After some socialising, Jinki and Kibum were busy having their own animated conversation at one corner. Shortly after, they noticed that Tiffany was also at the event. Seeing the two boys together, Tiffany let out a squeal and approached them. She then nagged at her boyfriend for not telling her that he was attending the event. Jinki smiled sheepishly and apologised with a kiss on her cheek. Kibum’s heart broke a little but he tried his best to not look affected. After some drinks, Tiffany seemed bored of all the small talk. Being a social animal, she somehow managed to drag Jinki away despite his protests to meet her friends. Jinki looked back mouthing a “ I’ll be back “ guiltily and Kibum couldn’t help but smile at how adorable he was.

After playing with his phone and spending some time by himself Kibum wanted to use the washroom. He then left his drink on the bar table headed towards the signs along a corridor when he was suddenly blocked by force. Kibum noticed that it was none other than CJ and that he reeked of alcohol. Kibum put up a brave front and faced him. “WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?” he spat at CJ “leave me alone, we are done dammit!”  CJ ignored his words and being the stronger out of the two, he used force to push Kibum to the wall.  “Not so fast Kitty, I’ve missed you” CJ now wore a disgusting smirk that scared Kibum. He had no idea that this was the man he was in love with less than a month ago. Kibum was helpless, not being able to move and he didn’t want to make a scene at the event. “Just please leave me alone CJ, please let me go” Kibum was pleading, begging but his words were just empty words for CJ as he captured his lips and kissed him roughly. Kibum was disgusted, he felt so dirty and tears spilled from his eyes. CJ was forcefully kissing him all over and now fumbling with his zipper and all Kibum could do is softly call for help in between his sobs “ Jinkii Jinkiii hyung…Jinki hyung” his words were barely audible.” Don’t you dare let anyone else’s name come out from your pretty mouth” CJ was angry and grabbed his face with his free hand.  He was so rough that he left a gash on his beautiful face while handling him. Kibum was in pain, he needed Jinki.

When he felt like there is absolutely no hope, he suddenly felt someone pull CJ away from him. Kibum was released from his grip and he saw that Jinki was finally there. Kibum had never seen Jinki this angry and his eyes were dark and emotionless as he punched CJ continuously. Kibum was in a daze to react but he came to his senses when he saw blood. Jinki wasn’t able to control himself and at this rate, kibum knew that Jinki would kill him.

 

 “YOU ING SCUM!! IF YOU EVER COME NEAR HIM AGAIN I AM GOING TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON’T GO HOME ALIVE” Kibum didn’t have much energy left in him to stop him but he saw some guys who intervened and stopped Jinki. Kibum was crying, from the shame, from the shock and from the guilt of dating someone filthy as him.

 

Kibum was leaning against the wall, his knees buckling and feeling dizzy because his body was hurting all over.  Just when he thought that he was about to collapse, Jinki held him. Kibum was now expressionless as he watched Jinki quickly arrange his disarrayed clothes and then clasping his hand, tugging Kibum to move forward.  Kibum just followed him quietly with his head down as Jinki moved swiftly through the crowd. He vaguely saw Tiffany stopping Jinki but he just shrugged and steered forward with Kibum as quickly as possible. Once he reached the car park, Jinki held the door open for Kibum and fastened the seat belt for him. The drive was quiet without a single exchange of words between them. Jinki carefully lead Kibum to the dorm and headed straight to their room. He made Kibum sit on the bed and kneeled next to him, looking in to his eyes.   “  Bummie it’s all my fault, I failed to protect you “ Jinki’s eyes started to pool with tears and Kibum felt like his heart broke just looking at  his Jink all weak and vulnerable before him . Kibum enveloped the sobbing Jinki in his arms while not being able to stop his tears himself. “No no no Jinki don’t say that shh, you are here with me now and that’s all I need”. Jinki wrapped his arms around Kibum’s waist, and gently lifted him on his bed. He then held Kibum close to him. “I’ve never felt so angry before, Bummie, I’ve never wanted to hurt someone like this but all it took was for me to see you like that and I..I just turned in to a monster” Jinki was caressing Kibum’s cheek and his heart broke looking at the gash on Kibum’s beautiful face.  He instinctively peppered Kibum’s face with the gentlest kisses making Kibum tear up again. Jinki then brushed his thumb across to wipe the forming tears and kissed his closed eyelids. He then traced Kibum’s beautiful cupid bow lips with an urge to capture them in his. Kibum was staring at him with his eyes glassy and when their eyes met, he reached for Jinki’s face with a soft smile. “ I’m always happy when I’m next to you, I don’t think I need anything else”. Jinki was then smiling back at Kibum with his eyes forming in to crescents. “I need to do something I should have done a long time ago but let me take care of the cut on your face first”. After treating Kibum’s wound and bruises and also planting sweet kisses at every single bruise he saw, Jinki left the dorm promising Kibum that he would be back soon.

Kibum fell in to deep sleep because of the exhaustion earlier but he woke up when he felt a slight dip on the bed next to him and as two familiar arms s around him pulling him closer. “I’m back “ Jinki whispered softly in to Kibum’s ear as he nuzzled on the crook of Kibum’s neck. Kibum smiled and turned around to face the elder with a smile. “Welcome back” he said , his voice raspy from sleep.

“ I broke up with Tiffany” Jinki said out of the blue and Kibum looked at him with confusion. “Well I realised that I wasn’t in love with her” Kibum’s heart started beating in his chest violently. “ w.. why?” Kibum managed to ask him while looking deep in to Jinki’s brown orbs with a little gleam of hope. “Because I’ve always been in love with someone else and realised it a little too late?” Jinki was now smiling teasingly at Kibum and he flushed. Kibum’s mind was going “it couldn’t be right? It just couldn’t” when Jinki leaned in to place a gentle kiss on his lips. Jinki’s eyes were watching Kibum closely for his reaction but he was so overwhelmed by everything and started to cry instead.

“ I’m sorry.. I thought..” Jinki was suddenly flustered when he saw him cry thinking that it was a wrong move. “ babo” Jinki heard Kibum’s soft voice as Kibum tugged him back towards his lips crashing them together. This time the kiss was more passionate and both boys poured all their emotions in to it. “ I.. I thought you wouldn’t like me that way because I was a boy” Kibum said shyly and Jinki thought there was nothing more adorable than the boy in his arms right now.” I like you because you are Kibum, the person who stole my heart even without me knowing, doesn’t matter if you are a girl or boy” Jinki said lovingly. “You are the most beautiful person in my eyes and the only person I want to protect and be with all my life- I.. I  love you Bummie” tears were streaking down Kibum’s cheeks again at his confession as he buried himself in to Jinki’s chest and Jinki heard a muffled “I BLUBU TO” and smiled to himself. Yes everything is perfect, with his Bummie in his arms.