the words (that should be) kept hidden

love him for the last time (then let go)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The weeks zoomed by nauseatingly fast.

 

The surge of costumers during lunch break (aka crunch time) is overwhelming, Jihyo almost feels herself becoming light headed trying to catch up with the city and its busy, busy people. There was no time for a breather and before she knew it, weeks had gone by. Compared to her relatively small quiet hometown, it was as if life was put on 3x fast forward on a DVD player. Her boss is super strict when it comes to working properly, would point out and scold her when mistakes are made but nonetheless a good person (who would even hire a country bumpkin in the middle of the year?); unlike the always forgiving nature of Yerin’s parents who just smiled and patted her on the back gently comforting her with encouraging words. She couldn’t remember how many glass of coffee she broke during her shifts, now she can’t even comprehend how she went from a quaint little cafe to working at a popular chicken restaurant in the city.

 

Somehow she always catches herself comparing everything to that town.

 

It’s quite strange seeing new people everyday on the same route to work; she had memorised the faces of people and which streets they cross on specific time and specific days back home. In here, she can’t even see their faces amidst their quick paced power walk looking down to their phones to check emails and the time, in their suits and ties and formal dress codes that all look similar. Each day it starts to feel like maybe she is seeing the same people everyday with how robotic they look and behave.

 

It’s very easy to drown in this sea of people but Jihyo manages to float just barely.

 

And it keeps her busy enough to not think about Namjoon and his wife at all.

 

But just barely.

 

“How’s Seoul treating you?” Nayeon asked during break time. She was put in charge of training Jihyo and had been working at the restaurant for four years, began during senior high school and now in her senior year of university (has been taking the time off so often it’s like she’s not even attending school anymore). Time flies, huh.

 

“I feel like dying.”

 

Nayeon laughed heartily. Jihyo discovered that the older girl is easily amused despite the negative first impression of her caused by the typical snob city girl appearance she possessed paired with a resting face. She acts more foolish than posh, which is a relief.

 

“You’re doing fine. Actually, so much better than when I moved out to dorms for university. I’ve been living in this city my whole life and it still exhausts me.”

 

“I guess anyone who leaves their family will experience difficulties at first, especially when you’re so far away from them.” Taehyung, another coworker, chimed in. “I’m pretty similar to your situation so I’m rooting for you, Jihyo!”

 

“You should’ve seen him when he first came here. He may look like a city hunk right now but back then his lame fashion choices— Oh My God, the horror!” Nayeon shivered at the recollection of his past. She had known the guy when a friend introduced him to their circle 4 years ago, Taehyung braved the city at the age of 18, left the comfort of the farm life to pursue a career in Photography. Young guy with farmer background who is obsessed with cameras, he definitely stood out in the mix of the grey city; needless to say he was charming with his strong accent and unique personality even under all that lame clothes and hairstyle.

 

“Courtesy to my girlfriend for the upgrade!” he proudly exclaimed. Nayeon frowned at the -eating grin on his face.

 

“I guess I’ll take that as a compliment for my fashion choices.” Jihyo laughed. It ignited a curiosity to see how lame this drop dead gorgeous costumer-bait hunk looked like before. Alas, her timidness remains from her system.

 

“The floral design, GOD! HAHAHA!”

 

“OK— Shut up!— break time is over. I’m handsome now, that’s all that matters.”

 

“How did your girlfriend even like you after seeing you like that— pff!”

 

“OKAY. Time to serve some chicken, ladies!” he clapped his hand in rhythm, reacting so naturally along with her light hearted jibe as if it was something of the ordinary for them. How nice. Jihyo smiles at their little banter. It reminds her of Namjoon and Yoongi and Yerin, their teasing and banters together, dragging the shy little Jihyo along with it— the three people who got her out of her shy shell. She puts a halt to those thoughts. It makes her miss home.

 

“Time to serve some chickens.”

 

 

“Well done on the application upgrade, Yoongi. It runs way smoothly and schedule lines are organised.” Jin gave his employee a hard pat on the shoulder.

 

“There are complains about the new design, though, plus some tiny problems. Should we contact the design team to change it?” his voice is rough, Yoongi had been pulling all-nighters and several overtime with his team to meet the deadline. Those three days felt like a deadweight on him and even after programming the new application design, it took months of meetings and discussion to actually publish the new update.

 

“No, give it time. I’m sure people would get used to it.” the boss shrugged it off. “Don’t forget the company party tonight to celebrate the success of the update, alright?”

 

“Right,” Yoongi would rather sleep. He’s been on a coffee overdoes for months

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter