Horror Stories and Fishing Tails

fish out of water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Dahyun didn't need to open her eyes to know that the body pressed against back was Sana's. She knew the warm hand that had sneaked under her shirt to rest on her stomach. Nothing had ever felt quite as comfortable as lying in bed with Sana. No matter how breathless Sana made her, Dahyun wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. The girls would have for even thinking it, but Dahyun felt like she belonged in Sana's arms, even if it was the cheesiest thing ever. How could she not feel comfortable and safe in the arms of a mermaid?

 Sana had chosen her. Of all the humans, she was the one Sana chose. Maybe it had been nothing more than a simple coincidence, but Dahyun liked to believe that fate had something to do with it.

 Sana retracted her hand. Dahyun allowed herself to take a deep breath.

 She opened her eyes. Sana's warmth was gone. Dahyun sat up, glancing all around her. Everything was dark. She couldn't see anything. But one thing was certain; Sana was gone. Gone. Dahyun couldn't panic. She needed to find Sana before she could get in trouble. She rushed to get up and made her way to where she knew the door was. She had crossed the room in the dark more than enough times to know the way without tripping, and she could see the light filtering from under the door.

 But the corridor wasn't on the other side of the door.

 Haeundae beach. It could have been any other beach, but Dahyun knew. The waves, the water reflecting the moon, the rain.

 That night.

 She stepped closer to the water, unable to enjoy the sensation of the sand under her bare feet. Dahyun could barely feel anything. Not the cold rain on her skin, not the sand under her feet. She couldn't smell the sea either. Deprived of the sensations that she cherished. And still, she could hear the seagulls. Those damn birds loved to give her a headache every single time.

 Right under her eyes, the sea darkened, the color slowly spreading to the sand. Dahyun wanted to believe that it was ink, or maybe paint. But she knew better. Dark red, thick, sleek blood. So much blood. And, just like ten years ago, the sea started to sing. With the same voice that had haunted her sleep for too long, the voice she had been unable to forget for the past years. No matter how beautiful it was, Dahyun hated it with a burning passion. She wanted to never hear it again.

 Dahyun wouldn't listen. She wouldn't let herself be dragged into the sea by that song. The only mermaid's voice she wanted to hear was Sana's.

 The body that rose from the water in the darkness of the night was the same mermaid she had seen as a child. Dahyun was certain it was her. How could she forget a face that had haunted her dreams for so long?

 The water lapping at her ankles was warm, leaving dark stains on her skin. When had she started to walk towards the water? She needed to go back, to get as far away as possible from the sea, from that mermaid. She couldn't move, couldn't control her body. Just like the first time she saw her.

 A loud ringing made the mermaid swim away.

 Her phone. Her phone was ringing. But it wasn't in her shorts' pocket – she never put it there because it didn't fit and threatened to fall out every time she would take a step. So, where the hell was her phone? Nothing made sense.

 

 

 Dahyun startled awake when she felt a hand shaking her by the shoulder. A nightmare. It had been nothing more than a nightmare. She shouldn't have been surprised; she did get to the beach by opening the bedroom door, which made very little sense. And that mermaid... Dahyun pushed the hand away from her shoulder and turned around in her bed.

 Sana was still gone.

 Staying in bed all day long was tempting today. It was tempting every other day of the week, too.

 "Unnie, get your out of bed!"

 Dahyun groaned and pulled the blanket over her head to try to muffle Chaeyoung's voice. She did not have the energy to deal with anyone, not even her best friend.

 "Get up, you slug! It's almost noon! You have a great day ahead of you!"

 Dahyun felt the mattress dip under Chaeyoung's weight – she was without a doubt standing on the bed.

 "How did you even get inside?" Dahyun grumbled.

 "Gahyeon let me in."

 Curse her roommate. Gahyeon was a good friend and a good roommate in general, but Dahyun wanted to hate her right now.

 "How are things between you the two of you, anyway?" Chaeyoung asked.

 Dahyun rolled her eyes, grateful that Chaeyoung couldn't see it, and gave a little kick to her friend's foot. Chaeyoung finally sat down on the bed. Or rather, on Dahyun's back.

 How were things between her and Gahyeon? Nice was a perfect word to describe their relationship. They got along well enough, they knew how to share a space and to respect each other's privacy. It was what mattered the most when sharing an apartment together. It was somewhat amusing that fate had reunited them for the first time since high school when they were trying to find a place – Chaeyoung was still living Jihyo and Tzuyu, and they still didn't have enough room for another roommate.

 The fact that Dahyun had a crush on Gahyeon when they were in high school did not have to change anything between them. It would not change anything between them. They both were different people now.

 "We're just friends," Dahyun finally mumbled into her pillow.

 Chaeyoung remained silent for a moment.

 "You're still not over her, right?"

 "I've been over Gahyeon for years, Chaeng."

 "I meant Sana, and you know it."

 Dahyun didn't want to cry. She would not cry. She refused to cry. It had been over three months now. Still no Sana. . Sana had promised she would come back. And the ahjumma had said that Sana would come back to her. Everyone lied to her, though. Because Sana wasn't cuddling in bed with her right now. Mermaids were stupid creatures. Humans weren't any better, but Sana was not human.

 Chaeyoung grabbed at the blanket and pulled. Dahyun didn't have the energy to resist and let it go.

 Today was not starting in the best manner. But at least she had a friend to support her; even if the support included a lot of teasing and some torture to get her out of bed. Chaeyoung meant well – she simply didn't want her to sulk in bed all day long.

 "Go take a shower and get dressed, loser! We're getting coffee!"

 "Why do you hate me?"

 Chaeyoung gave her thigh a slap.

 "I love you and you know it," she countered, "now get up. You don't want Gahyeon to see look so miserable, do you?"

 "I literally live with her. She's seen me look worse." Dahyun groaned, but she sat up anyway. She yawned loudly and stretched her arms above her head. Today was going to be a long day, she could feel it already.

 

 

 Dahyun would have hated to admit it, but going out for coffee had been a good idea. One cup full of caffeine and she already felt more alive. Sana was not forgotten, far from that, but Dahyun was starting to believe she would manage to have a nice day. It had been a while since she had last taken the time to enjoy a day with her best friend, or any of her friends.

 It felt right. Sana was still missing, but Chaeyoung's presence helped her. Nobody could make Dahyun forget about Sana, but not feeling miserable was progress.

 Denial. Anger. Depression. Ridiculous stages of grieving. Dahyun wasn't sure she would ever be able to reach acceptance, not with the way Sana had left, not when she had no idea what had happened to her. To the girl she loved. Trying to convince herself that Sana was nothing more than just a crush had been a fruitless attempt at dealing with all her feelings. It had only succeeded in making Dahyun angry.

 Angry with Sana. Angry with the ahjumma. Angry with herself and the rest of the world.

 She couldn't make Sana come back. She felt powerless.

 Dahyun shook her head and relaxed in her seat. The coffee shop was nice. Being surrounded by enticing smells and the soft sounds of music playing from the speakers. It felt comfortable.

 "Are you really over your crush on Gahyeon?" Chaeyoung asked between two sips of her coffee. "Living with her didn't change anything between you two?"

 "She never knew I had a crush on her." Dahyun couldn't look away from her cup. "It's surprisingly easy to get over a crush on someone when you convince yourself it's wrong to be attracted to them."

 Chaeyoung reached over the table to grab her hand. Dahyun tilted down her head when Chaeyoung squeezed her hand.

 "You planning on coming out to your parents?"

 "Nope! No thanks!"

 Chaeyoung chuckled at her answer.

 "Does your brother know?"

 "I think Myungsoo oppa would believe that mermaids exist more easily."

 "We both know mermaids are as real as your gayness."

 Dahyun shrugged. Every time she woke up after dreaming of the mermaid, she wondered if all of it had been real. But if Sana had been nothing more than an illusion, the heartbreak wouldn't feel so real. Everything would have been much easier if it had been nothing more than a bad dream or two. No heartbreak, no missing Sana every single day. And no need to face the reality of her uality.

 "You know we're all proud of you, right?" 

 "You told me you were proud of me a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter