Some fish swim in beer

fish out of water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Dahyun tightened her embrace around Sana's shoulders and kissed the top of her head.

It was the first thing she did when she woke up. If all morning were like that, Dahyun wouldn't have minded waking up every day, even on Mondays. With Sana's head resting on her chest, Dahyun felt anchored to the world, to her life. Maybe she would be able to compose again thanks to her moments shared with the mermaid. So much beauty, so many wonders in one person. Dahyun had never had a muse before, but she was certain that someone who could make her appreciate mornings qualified as a muse.

 It was hard to believe Sana was real.

 But she wasn't a dream. It was the fourth day in a row Dahyun got to wake up with Sana by her side. Sana wasn't part of some elaborate dream. Mermaids were real. Sana was real, and right there, with her. In her bed. At Chaeyoung's aunt's place. Far away from her parents' home in Seoul, far away from church. Dahyun hadn't gone to church in a long time now; when was the last time? Three months ago, maybe – it had been so long she could barely remember. It was the first time in her whole life that Dahyun had spent so much time away from church. But why go back to a place where she didn't feel safe, a place where she forced herself to pretend to be someone she wasn't?

 Sana was pretending to be someone she wasn't, too.

 Pretending to be someone you aren't for your own safety. Funny how they both had to do it. Dahyun didn't feel like laughing, though. It should be easier to come out as gay than as a mermaid, but Dahyun still couldn't do it. On most days, she could barely admit to herself that she liked girls. It was easier to deny, to pretend. And to think most of the people close to her believed she was a terrible liar. There was a reason why Dahyun did so well with theater in high school.

 Dahyun felt a warm hand sneak under her t-shirt to rest on her stomach.

 Oh no. Not again. Why did Sana have to do that? Did she do it on purpose so Dahyun would have a heart attack? There was no way Sana could be so oblivious that she wouldn't notice the effect she had on Dahyun.

 "I like Dahyun."

 Dahyun could still hear Sana's voice, crystal clear. The way she had said it. Dahyun couldn't be certain that Sana truly understood the meaning of the words, but it was still enough to make her heart beat faster. Yesterday had went by in a blur. They had stayed at the beach, fingers intertwined, until Chaeyoung sent a message to ask where they were (and to ask them not to get arrested for exhibitionism and public indecency, but Dahyun preferred to ignore that part). The rest of the day had been just the three of them lazying in the living room, watching movies and teaching Sana some Korean. Dahyun liked it, the whole casualness of Sana's presence, the fact that having her around didn't create any awkwardness.

 Chaeyoung liked Sana. Dahyun hoped that their friends would like her just as much.

 But more importantly, she hoped that they wouldn't ask too many questions about Sana's origins and how they met. They would definitely ask the most embarrassing questions possible, though. Questions about her relationship with Sana. Not a relationship, Dahyun reminded herself. It was just a friendship that had started only a few days ago, it was nowhere near a relationship.

 Dahyun didn't want it to be a relationship.

 Of course she did. Who was she trying to fool? Herself?

 "Unnie?"

 Chaeyoung's sleepy voice came from the other side of the room. It was good to know they all were still in bed like the lazy sloths they seemed to be.

 "Shouldn't we get ready for the party?" Chaeyoung asked, her question interrupted by a loud yawn.

 "Probably, yeah. But we'd need to prepare breakfast."

 She heard Chaeyoung groan at the thought.

 "Don't we have leftover pizza from yesterday?"

 Pizza for breakfast wasn't all that appealing, but right now, Dahyun would take cold pizza over cooking anything. She didn't even want to have to get out of bed – and it had nothing to do with the fact Sana was sleeping half on top of her. Dahyun snorted at herself. It had everything to do with Sana sleeping half on top of her. Even if Sana's head was heavy as a rock and Dahyun could barely feel her arm anymore, it was nice. Chaeyoung would say it was because she was whipped for Sana. And she wouldn't be wrong.

 "Let's go with pizza, then," Chaeyoung mumbled, yawning again.

 Dahyun heard her friend move in bed. To sit up, Dahyun guessed.

 "You're gonna need to teach your girlfriend to keep her exhibitionism kink in check."

 "I don't know enough Japanese to tell her that! I wish I could, trust me!" Dahyun protested, loud enough to wake up Sana.

 The mermaid yawned and stretched – it would have been all dandy and fine, but Sana's hand was still under her top. Dahyun yelped, grabbing the hem of her t-shirt to bring it down again. She would need to be careful during the party, if she didn't want to end up a bit too exposed. God. They should have just cancelled everything instead of trying to continue with their plan with Sana in the house.

 Having Sana around during the party would not end up. Both Dahyun and Chaeyoung were aware of it. Then again, even without the party, things were an absolute mess.

 She had a mermaid's arm in her t-shirt, hand resting right under her chest. There was no doubt Sana could feel her heart beating too fast and hard against her ribs. Would Sana know why her heart was beating like that? Did mermaids' hearts beat the same way humans' did? Dahyun couldn't touch Sana's chest to check. That would be the contrary of reasonable. She would have a heart attack before she could even feel Sana's heart anyway.

 "Sana, it's time for food. Let's go."

 

 

 "Sana needs a bath."

 Dahyun looked up at her best friend, eyebrows raised in surprise and confusion. Those were not words she had expected to hear from Chaeyoung. Especially not while they were cleaning up the house to make sure expensive vases and glasses would not be in danger during the party. Or ever. It was like Sana didn't sweat, so why would she need bath? Dahyun didn't want for Sana to need a bath. Because if Sana needed a bath, then Dahyun needed to help Sana take a bath.

 No. Nope. Not again.

 "She hasn't taken a bath in like, three days. And you haven't either," Chaeyoung explained, holding Dahyun's gaze. "You probably need a bath more than Sana does. She smells a lot better than you do."

 "Are you saying I stink?"

 "Yup, that's what I'm saying!"

 Dahyun rolled her eyes, but she didn't try to protest. She knew that Chaeyoung wasn't wrong. She wouldn't admit that her friend was right, but she could accept that she wasn't entirely wrong. Dahyun didn't need to sniff herself to know that a shower would do her some good. She had been avoiding the bathroom like the plague – she didn't want reminders that she had seen Sana and wet.

 Sharing the bathroom with Sana again would be a nightmare. The prettiest nightmare ever.

 But she also knew that she would have to, sooner or later. She couldn't let Chaeyoung to take care of that, of Sana. It wasn't some sort of possessiveness. It was not. Dahyun simply didn't think that it would be for the best if she was the one to take care of Sana, since she seemed to have gotten used to her presence. It had nothing to do with not wanting to share Sana's attention with Chaeyoung.

 "You should go take care of your sweat smell. Like, now." It sounded like a suggestion, but Dahyun knew that Chaeyoung wouldn't leave her much of a choice.

 "We still have things to do before the party, though."

 "I'll do the dishes while you take care of the... cleaning the mermaid..." Chaeyoung trailed off, silent for a moment, "and cleansing your soul, probably."

 "I do not need to cleanse my soul."

 Dahyun crossed her arms over her chest. Chaeyoung did not seem convinced. At all.

 "Look at me in the eyes and tell me you didn't enjoy seeing Sana ."

 "I'm not going to play your game. I'm just gonna make sure Sana is decent for the party."

 It seemed like a good way to dodge the challenge. Chaeyoung wouldn't accept it, but Dahyun didn't have the courage to say anything else to her friend. She wanted to flee and hide in the bathroom. And it was what she did, followed by Sana.

 Dahyun leaned back against the door, eyes shut tightly as she took deep breaths to try to calm herself down. Deep, slow breaths. She hated it, the way her heart was beating because of Sana, because she had thought of Sana . It was ridiculous. Sana was just a girl. A mermaid, sure, but still just a girl. A very attractive girl who was staring at her. Even with her eyes closed, Dahyun knew that Sana was staring at her. She could feel it.

 "Is Dahyun okay?"

 Sana's voice came from much closer than Dahyun expected. A mere step away. So close that Dahyun could feel Sana. Dahyun couldn't open her eyes now.

 "I'm okay," she whispered, uncertain of her own words. "Your Korean getting really good."

 Dahyun couldn't help but smile, proud of Sana for all the progress she had been making in such a short time. Mermaids were impressive. Maybe they should test Sana's IQ, and a few other things that could make understanding Sana easier, and make it easier for Dahyun and Chaeyoung to deal with the mermaid.

 Mermaids were fascinating creatures– people. Sana was a person, not a creature. Studying Sana would be wrong in so many ways.

 Dahyun opened her eyes. Sana was right there. So damn close. Dahyun felt breathless. Sana placed a hand on her cheek; her skin was warm and soft, and her touch was the most gentle.

 Girlfriend.

She wanted Sana to be her girlfriend. . Dahyun was done for. Her perfect little life was over now. It was officially over. She would never be able to go back to church or to look at her parents in the eyes again. Dahyun knew that it was too late to turn back. Sana had kicked the closet open. Broken beyond repair.

 Dahyun didn't want to go back to pretending. She knew who she was. She wanted to be herself and to feel comfortable with who she was. She could do it.

 No. She could not.

 "Water?"

 Sana took her hand back, away from Dahyun's face, and pointed a finger at the bathtub.

 It seemed like Sana was more interested in taking a bath than in kissing, or in any form of affection – Dahyun couldn't even blame her. Taking a bath was awesome and one of the best ways to relax. And mermaids were bound to be attracted to water, weren't they?

 The moment Dahyun reached for the tap, Sana started to undress.

 .

 That mermaid really would be the death of her. Sooner rather than later.

 Sana looked excited as she sat in the bathtub. But while she played with the water slowly filling the tub, her eyes didn't leave Dahyun for one second. Dahyun smiled at Sana, which earned her bright grin in return.

 Sana had the most beautiful of smiles.

 "Dahyun," Sana said, as a sudden frown reached her features. She extended an arm towards Dahyun and wiggled her fingers. A silent invitation.

 What did Sana want? Dahyun grabbed Sana's hand in her own and gave it a light squeeze.

 "Dahyun. Water."

 "You want me to... take a bath with you? You want me to go in the water with you?"

 Sana nodded. That could not be a good idea, in any life time or universe. It was a terrible idea. Dahyun was terrified, but still, she pulled her hoodie over her head. She pulled down her pants, and to Sana's obvious excitement, she took off her underwear and sat opposite Sana in the bathtub, arms wrapped protectively over her chest.

 Dahyun had never taken a bath with a girl before. She hadn't been in front of anyone in years. She had been a reserved and self-conscious kid, even in her deepest memories. She hugged her legs to her chest, desperate to make herself as small as possible. She wanted to disappear. Why had she accepted to join Sana in the bathtub? Sana's confidence in her own body, and how comfortable she seemed in the , those were the reasons why. Sana didn't think of as something special; Dahyun wished she could think like that, too.

 "This is weird," she mumbled.

 Sana moved a little closer to her. There was more than enough room in the bathtub for both of them to sit comfortably, but of course Sana would choose to get unreasonable close to her. While they were .

 Dahyun watched as Sana threw her legs over the edge of the tub to lie down in the water, eyes closed. Just like the day Dahyun had brought her home. She leaned over Sana's body, holding her breath as if it would help her, to turn off the water.

 "Sana?" she questioned once she was sitting again.

 Sana sat up immediately.

 "Turn around," Dahyun asked as she gestured with her finger to make sure that Sana would understand. "I'll wash your hair."

 Sana squirmed when Dahy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter