Glow

Butterflies

 

 

The world in 2056 is quite boring despite the hopes from the early 2000's.

Jisoo would describe it as gray and dull, with your soulmate the only spark of color in your life.

The first time Jisoo meets Lisa, Jisoo's eating a bucket of fried chicken and Dalgomie is barking at the cat in Lisa's arms.

Jisoo could have swore that Lisa glowed in the sunlight and Jisoo is smitten at first glance.

Lisa is as innocent as a child can be in a land torn by war and when she declares that she's joining the army Jisoo follows.

They last long enough, Jisoo's surprised that they're still alive, but eventually some stupid RPG or whatnot decides to land into the truck they were in.

Jisoo's glad she saw her soulmate because, Jisoo, can't bear to bring herself to say that Lisa isn't hers if it weren't for the fact that the cat-eyed girl who had the cutest gummy smile wasn't plainly in front of her.

---------------------------

Lisa doesn't want to tell her mother that she's found her soulmate.

Really, she can't. She knows that if she does then her mothers going ask her what her soulmates glow looks like and Lisa can't seem to bring herself to admit it.

She could barely find her soulmate the first time because her soulmate has so many holes in her glow, the glow's true color barely percievable.

The only thing Lisa remembers in class about your soulmates glow is that holes mean the sins each person has commited.

That's a hell of a lot sins.

Nevermind the fact that her mother no matter how kind, is utterly disgusted at the fact of homouality.

Her father has a few friends who 'go that way' and he respects them, which Lisa almost percieved as a good thing until he made her look him in the eye and promise that she didn't choose to 'go that way' too. 

Lisa has half a mind to shove her father because they don't have a ing goddamn choice. 

Who decided that being more susceptible to harassment was a choice anyways?

 Yes, there is choice if you want to follow the way you are or give in to the pressure of the world, that's up to you but Lisa'a always been a little rebellious.

 Her parents yell at her to fix her grades, but studying is hard when someone kicked the out of you in school.

She applies for the army secretly, knowing that she can't handle living in this enviroment, her father finds out and threatens to burn her cats.

Lisa joins the military anyway. They keep the cats.

--------------------------

The first time Chaeyoung sets her eye on the yellow glow in the crowd she almost has the heart to kill herself then and there.

It's decorated in bright yellow stars and orange orbs, and Chaeyoung can't help but laugh at how pure her soulmates glow is.

Chaeyoung's done a lot of bad things, she'll admit that, but none of it was her choice.

Her parents attend church regularly, always praying in the section specifically for someone's glow, hoping to wash away the sins commited by their daughter, each time recieving pitying looks from bystanders. 

What they don't know is that her parents glow are probably riddled with more holes than most people will have in a lifetime combined.

Chaeyoungs sure that at this point their glow is gone, the abuse, probably making uo half of it.

She doesn't want to remmeber what happened at home when she was just seconds late of placing dinner in front of them.

Chaeyoung starts to fund charities and volunteers at local food kitchens just to get away. 

The second time Cheyoung spots the happy go color it's at the army camp she's cooking for, and from the way Jennie stiffens up next to her Chaeyoung thinks Jennie spots hers too.

She's got a reason, the troops are caked in dirt and dried blood and when Chaeyoung follows Jennie's gaze she lands on a girl half sitting in the back of an open tent for the critically injured, cleaned, literally almost covered in pink bandages, but the girl is still clearly gorgeous.

Chaeyoung refuses to look at the blonde supported by pillows next to the purple haired beauty but notices that the glow is still pure as how pure is ing?, and Chaeyoung laughs at her own joke.

Chaeyoung hopes the two girls make it through the night.

-----------------------------

They don't but Chaeyoung notices Jennie going to the tent almost immedietly after their shift is done and is satisfied that they managed to meet.

Chaeyoung follows later in the evening and introduces herself to her half-conscious soulmate.

Her soulmate is quiet but mostly speaks to her in a mix of korean-thai which Chaeyoung understands to an extent.

Lisa, her soulmate admits that she like her accent and even tried to pronounce a few words in suprisingly accentless english  Chaeyoung is surprised she even noticed it.

It's been so long since she went back to Australia and the feeble words from those beautifully pink lips reminded her to do so after her contract ends.

Chaeyoung marries Jennie a couple of years later but Chaeyoung doesn't think they can shake off their goddesslike soulmates from their minds.

It's something they like to reminisce over during the quiet nights, when they both feel light enough to discuss all the cute details on their soulmates faces.

Chaeyoung meets Lisa's father at a fancy restaurant, she knows it's him because Lisa gave Chaeyoung her few belongings because she refuses to allow her parents near her.

Chaeyoung smiled at the plain stubbornness in her soulmate and agrees. 

At night she wonders if Lisa's dad even knows she's dead because he doesn't seem to have grieven.

Perhaps she's wrong but somehow she's angry and Chaeyoung doesn't know why.

She only met Lisa for a few hours but she felt so close to her.

Mothering soulmates.