III.

To Love Again

Yujin, with her right hand resting on her cheek, felt a pang in her heart that hurt more than the slap that Minjoo gave her. It was the first time that the older girl ever hit her like that. To top everything off, Minjoo's words seeped into her system like poison. She looks down at her feet as tears drop onto her skirt.

Yujin knew she was doing some things wrong and would always take the easy way out—it was how she was. At times that she knew she had to do something, a little voice inside her head would tell her what consequences she might get from doing it. That was the same voice that made her push Wonyoung away. The very same voice that told her to tell Wonyoung what she still feels after all these years. To be honest, Yujin is confused. Wonyoung was the one who stuck with her through those years but she broke her—almost beyond repair—all because of a stupid voice.

A bus stops in front of her and she gets in. She sits by the window as she starts to contemplate whether to take Minjoo's advice or let the older girl be mad at her.

-----------------------------------------------------

Minjoo continued to walk away from Yujin without looking back. She doesn't know where to go but she knows that she has to be far away from Yujin as possible. She doesn't know where she got the courage to slap Yujin like that or even utter those words while raising her voice.

She stopped on her tracks when she felt like she is far enough. She took out her phone to call Chaewon and the latter answered it almost immediately.

"Where are you?" Minjoo directly asked.

"I'm in the ice cream parlor near the school with Wonyoung. Why?" 

"I'll go there. Please don't leave yet,"

"Huh? I thought you're with—," Chaewon obviously cut her words, "Excuse me, Wonyoung. I'll have to go outside for a while," Minjoo hears Chaewon say on the other end followed by a hum that she assumed was from Wonyoung.

Minjoo then hears bustling noises from Chaewon's end so she figured the latter is already out. Chaewon cleared , "I thought you're going to talk to Yujin?"

"That's what I thought to," Minjoo sighs, "I kinda messed up," she continued as she stopped a taxi and rode on it.

"We'll wait for you here then. I have an idea of what happened back there and I now know Wonyoung's reasons. I think it will be better if the two of you could talk as well since you know Yujin's side," Chaewon said.

"I would do that if it was my story to tell. No matter how much I want them to fix their relationship, I can't get myself to meddle directly. I guess we'll just have to keep pushing them until they do it themselves," Minjoo explained and Chaewon sighed in response.

"I understand. See you, then," 

"Sure. Bye," Minjoo was about to end the call when Chaewon spoke, "I love you."

Minjoo was too flustered to reply immediately that when she finally snapped out of her shocked state, it was already too late as Chaewon already dropped the call. She felt her cheeks burning up and she couldn't fight the smile forming in her lips. The ride seemed longer as Minjoo looked forward to seeing Chaewon; as if they weren't together hours ago. A few minutes later, she spots the familiar ice cream place and she gets out of the taxi.

From the outside, Minjoi could clearly see Wonyoung's back and she's sure that the freshman's frame is blocking Chaewon. She went inside and she beamed as Chaewon landed her gaze on her. The older girl stood up to get her a chair and she sat down after she got to their table.

"Do you want anything? My treat," Chaewon said.

Wonyoung rolled her eyes, "Hey! You barely treat me," the youngest whined and pouted. Minjoo found it cute but Chaewon only narrowed her eyes, "You're heartbroken, not starving," the eldest said which only made Wonyoung pout more.

Chaewon stood up and proceeded to go to the counter to order. Knowing Chaewon, Minjoo knew why the older girl wanted her to order something. This is Chaewon's way of telling her to at least talk to Wonyoung and give her an insight of what Yujin feels.

"Uhm," Minjoo started and Wonyoung looked at her, "How did you know Chaewon? Have you been friends for a long time now?" she asked for the younger girl to be more comfortable.

Wonyoung put her hand on her chin, "Not too long. I happened to bump into her before my exam day and everything started from there," she explained and Minjoo nodded her head.

"Can I ask in return?" Minjoo hummed in response and Wonyoung continued, "Did Yujin tell you anything about me? Like how we used to be a thing?" Wonyoung's eyes lit up in curiosity.

Minjoo played with her fingers. She gave a mental reminder to herself that this is the perfect time to tell Wonyoung how devastated Yujin is. Even though Wonyoung might think that she is being biased, she'll try to help just like Chaewon asked her to. Yes, a quick change of heart; well, the things love can make you do.

"Yujin told me a lot about you, to be honest. I felt like I know you personally even without meeting you. She would brag about you being smart, kind, cute, and everything nice. Yujin seems to have exhausted all the positive adjectjives in the dictionary for you," Minjoo gave Wonyoung a small smile, "She hated herself for leaving you. She's not as brave as you think; if anything, Yujin's a coward," Wonyoung's eyes grew wide upon hearing what Minjoo just said.

"She may be my friend but what she did was wrong. I understand her, though. I did the same mistake and hurt the one I love as well," Minjoo said as her eyes shifted from Wonyoung to Chaewon. The senior was standing in the queue waiting for her order to be made. At the time Minjoo's gaze found her, she looked over her shoulder—an instinct, maybe—and their eyes met. Chaewon gave her a warm smile which she returned.

"At least, you own up to your mistakes," Wonyoung sighed, "It took you a while but you still admit what you did wrong."

Minjoo looked at Wonyoung. She studied the younger girl's face—it was full of sadness and regret. Wonyoung opened again, "I love Yujin. I still do. I never stopped loving her. I always hoped that we could bring back what we had," her voice cracks. Minjoo grips the seam of her skirt as she looks away from Wonyoung.

"Yujin loves you, too. I know it's scary to try again but I hope you could take the risk," Minjoo quietly said but Wonyoung still heard it.

"I don't think I can,"

"If you fear being broken again, remind yourself that you're way stronger than who you were two years ago," Minjoo raised her head and held Wonyoung's right hand, "Braver and wiser, too."

Wonyoung smiled, "So why should I give the very same person who hurt me another chance to do it again?"

"Will you let her hurt you without standing up for yourself? Will you just accept everything she says without defending yourself?"

"N-no," Wonyoung's reply turned into a whisper.

"Look, Yujin might keep telling us that she wouldn't change nor doesn't change but it's a big fat lie. I've only known her for more than a year but she matured a lot. She did change, Wonyoung, she just doesn't want to admit it," Wonyoung looked straight into Minjoo's eyes and she found the sincerity of the older girl. She was about to talk again but Chaewon suddenly arrived with Minjoo's ice cream.

"So," Chaewon's eyes slowly shifted from Minjoo to Wonyoung and vice versa. She tried to sense how much tension there is between the two. Her eyes were then fixed to Wonyoung as soon as she sat down. Despite only knowing the younger girl for a short amount of time, Chaewon feels a strong connection with her. It was like Wonyoung is her long lost sister.

Minjoo started to eat her ice cream. Chaewon chews on her lower lip trying to figure out what to do next. Silence fell upon their table until Wonyoung cleared , "Minjoo," she called out and the older girl stopped what she was doing. Chaewon tensed up and she tried to read Wonyoung's expressions to figure out what she will say next. Before Chaewon could conclude, Wonyoung continued, "If Yujin finds it in herself the courage to be truthful with her feelings, then I'll try again. However, if she decides to do nothing," Wonyoung smiled bitterly, "I'm afraid I can't make myself take the risk."

"It's a deal then?" Minjoo asks while showing her pinky. Wonyoung looked at it and chuckled before intertwining her own pinky with it, "Deal."

-----------------------------------------------------

The tick of the clock fills the room and, usually, it would lull Yujin to sleep. Tonight was different as she is deep in thought with her current dilemma. Sure, she wants Wonyoung back but the younger girl was pushing her away. When she did the same to her two years ago, Wonyoung didn't even bother her for them to get back together. Suddenly, Yujin's mind was filled with more thoughts. 

Right, why would Wonyoung chase after a jerk? Even Yujin wouldn't do that.

Yujin put her right arm on her forehead as she stared at her ceiling. She bites her lip while thinking of what she should do. Will she do the right thing or the easy thing? Doing the right thing would lead to uncertainty but the easy thing would cost her two of the most important people in her life. Either way, Yujin has to deal with change and she hates readjusting.

"I hope there's a time machine so I could just start over whenever I do the wrong thing," she closes her  eyes in frustration. She stayed like that for a few seconds before opening her eyes again. Yujin got up to reach her phone.

1:05 am.

She sighs upon learning what time it is. She unlocjs her phone and texts Minjoo; although unsure if the older girl is still up.

Minjoo...

Sorry :(

Are you sleeping?

If you don't reply nor read this in 10 minutes, I'll assume that you are.

Then Yujin started to wait. She lightly tapped the back of her phone as she waited for Minjoo's reply. As the ten minute countdown she set reaches the last few minutes, Yujin was losing hope. However, her eyes lit up when she saw two check marks on her messages meaning Minjoo has already read her message. Three dots appear as the older girl types her reply. Yujin thought everything will be okay until she read the Minjoo's reply: 'Don't talk to me unless you decide to fix this mess.'

Yujin scratched her head in frustration. Why is Minjoo acting like this anyway? Just because she managed to patch things up with Chaewon doesn't mean Yujin could also do the same. Knowing that she won't be able to properly talk to Minjoo, Yujin placed her phone back on her bedside table. She hugged one of her pillows and her brain might be playing with her but she likes it because she starts smelling strawberries. Yujin's lips curve into a smile and she drifts to sleep with her face in mind.

-----------------------------------------------------

Yujin starts her day by actually running a marathon from the bus stop to her classroom. As a heavy sleeper, Yujin survived her freshman yead doing this and she doesn't care if she has to go through sophomore year by always being a hair away from being marked late.

She reached her classroom right before her homeroom teacher arrived. Yujin began to settle her things and when she took her notebook from under her desk, a piece of paper fell. She took it and almost immediately recognized the handwriting: Don't go to the cafeteria or anywhere during break time. I'll come to you.

One of her problems seems to be solved after all.

Time slipped away way longer and usual. Yujin never really liked listening to her teachers. She always had her seatmate, Jiheon, to provide her with homework answers. Her poor seatmate also makes her a reviewer—which she barely spares some glance—whenever their exams come up. Yujin appreciated the gesture. Out of all the people that Yujin got along in their class, Jiheon was one of those she could really call her friend.

Yujin rested her chin on her left arm as she fixed her eyes on the clock. She sighs when she realizes it minute hand barely moved from last time. Only minutes have passed by but for her, it felt like eternity.

"The more you watch it, the slower it goes," Yujin heard Jiheon say. She looked to her right, "You know how bad I am at listening," she replied and Jiheon scoffs, "Stubborn, too," Jiheon comments to which Yujin furrows her eye brows.

Jiheon stops taking down notes and faces Yujin, "And, dumb; if i may add," she chuckled and as much as Yujin feels offended, she knows that her seatmate is only messing with her.

Yujin clicks her tongue while rolling her eyes before facing the front again. Jiheon tries to keep in hee laughter upon seeing Yujin's reaction. She starts writing again, "I could tell you who left that note," she said without looking at Yujin. 

"No need. I'll recognize that handwriting anywhere."

-----------------------------------------------------

The bell rang and Yujin stood up to stretch her body. Jiheon did the same before asking Yujin if she wants to go to the cafeteria together. Yujin turns it down with but promises to make it up to her. Before Jiheon went out, she spoke, "Remember that the time you spend beating around the bush or thinking which decision would be more suitable for the situation are all wasted time. I don't have any idea on what goes on with you or Minjoo but if your heart tells you to stop, then follow it," 

"Wait, no! This isn't about Minjoo," Yujin said and Jiheon looked back to her as a small 'Oh' escaped her lips. Jiheon giggled, "Forget what I said. Bye," she said before storming out of the room.

Now, Yujin is alone as she waits for Minjoo. She grows anxious by the moment but she knows she has to face this. The door opens and Minjoo goes in. She walks directly to Yujin and when she finally made it in front of the younger girl, she raised her right hand. Yujin's eyes grew wide but she immediately shut them to prepare for impact. She waited but, instead, she was enveloped in Minjoo's arms.

"Sorry for yesterday. It was harsh but I thought you needed that," she apologized as she rubbed Yujin's back.

Yujin smiled, "You don't have to say sorry. I deserved that. If anything, I appreciated it," Minjoo pulled away, "What's your plan now?"

Yujin's eyes darted from left to right as she scratched her nape, "I don't know," it was a silent reply but Minjoo knew what was up.

"I managed to talk to Wonyoung yesterday," Minjoo took Yujin's hands and the younger girl looked at her, "If you don't want to lose her, do something. Show her that you really want her back. Don't just give up, Yujin," Minjoo squeezed Yujin's hands. Yujin could only sigh, "I'll try," she says but she is unsure if she would.

"Talk to her. Even if it doesn't go well, try to reach out to her again,"

Yujin plopped down to her seat, "It's not that easy," she then rested her head on her table, "I don't think I could keep whatever promise I would tell her," this time, it was muffled but Minjoo understood what she said. The older girl sighed, "Wonyoung doesn't need promises, Yujin. She needs you," she says before patting the younger girl's back and leaving. Yujin heard the sound footsteps slowly fading before hearing their door open and shut.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Too much for not meddling directly," Chaewon teased as she grabbed Minjoo's hand as soon as the latter got out.

"I didn't directly involve myself. I just gave Yujin a little push,"

Chaewon sarcastically laughed, to annoy Minjoo, "Whatever you say," she said and Minjoo's reply was hitting her in the stomach with her free hand.

The two went to the cafeteria and they spotted Wonyoung eating alone. She was waiting for Chaewon since she haven't made some close friends yet. They approach her and Wonyoung's face lit up as soon as she saw them.

"Did you wait for a long time?" Chaewon asked. Wonyoung shook her head, "Only for a few minutes," she answered.

Chaewon left the two to order. Wonyoung looked at Minjoo, "What did she say?"

"She'll try," Minjoo said and she saw Wonyoung's eyes sparkle with hope, "But not with the tone that says she would," she hates to say that but she doesn't want to give Wonyoung false hopes—that's Yujin's job; well, at least, for now.

"I see," Wonyoung slowly nodded her head and her shoulders fell.

"Yujin is unsure because she doesn't want to hurt you again, Wonyoung. She knows herself and she also thinks you deserve better. It's more of an internal conflict than not wanting you back at all," Minjoo tried to comfort her but Wonyoung only gave her a disappointed smile.

Chaewon arrived with their food and it was awkwardly silent. "I don't think I could ever try again, either," Wonyoung breaks the silence, "Well, not now, at least". Both Minjoo and Chaewon looked up, confused, "With what's happening, it's like I'm forcing myself back into Yujin's life. If we were to really fix our relationship, then I think we need to do it ourselves—without any nudge from you guys," Wonyoung paused, "I do appreciate your help but our situations are different. We can't resolve our conflicts the way you did with yours," she looked at the two and they understood what she wants to say.

-----------------------------------------------------

Wonyoung went back to her classroom alone after they finished eating. She still thinks about what Minjoo just said. She wants Yujin to try again but she also knows that when the older girl is hesitant of doing something, she prefers to not do it at all. For the remainder of the day, Wonyoung's mind wasn't focused on her classes; instead, it was on Yujin.

Dismissal came rather earlier than expected; probably because Wonyoung didn't really pay attention to what was happening around her. She hurriedly fixed her stuff and made her way out. Chaewon and Minjoo offered to walk with her to the bus stop but she politely turned it down. She wanted to give the two some space since they seem to have missed each other a lot. If onlyー

Wonyoung shakes her head to snap from the thought. She exhales to calm herself down. She continues to make her way to the exit. She looks around, trying to see if Yujin would be anywhere in sight. This time is when she wants to meet her the least. Upon seeing no signs of the older girl, Wonyoung becomes relieved.

However, fate decided to play a part on their story. She was still far from the bus stop but she would always recognize that shoulder-length brown hair. Wonyoung's grip on the strap of her backpack tightens. She was about to turn on her heels when Yujin's gaze met with hers. There was something in Yujin's eyes that slowly made her heart melt. It was different as she felt more longing than love. If she could see herself in Yujin's perspective, Wonyoung knew that she had the same emotions in her eyes.

Accepting defeat, Wonyoung knew there was no way out of it. She approached the older girl and quietly sat beside her. Yujin opened to speak but no words came out. 

Feeling a little braver, Wonyoung reached for Yujin's hand and she started playing with the latter's fingers. This was a habit of hers that Yujin loved before; she hopes she still loves it. Yujin didn't take her hand away so Wonyoung assumes that the older girl was okay with it. Wonyoung sighs, "I used to do this to calm you down whenever you become tense," she lets out a soft chuckle. 

Yujin balls her hand into a fist, the hand that Wonyoung held, before opening it again and intertwining her fingers with Wonyoung's. She looks down, "I'm sorry for leaving you hanging for two years," her voice cracked. She puts her free hand on top of her head as she sobs. Wonyoung remembers that Yujin tends to do that whenever she's overwhelmed with her emotions. In response, Wonyoung holds Yujin's hand tighter—giving the older girl the strength she might need.

"You were right. I was scared of change. I was afraid that I would keep you from doing things on your own. I know that if I don't stay away from you, I'll hold you back and you would feel like I don't trust your capabilities. I love you and I trust you—but I don't feel the same about my self," Yujin said as tears stream down her face. Wonyoung starts tearing up as she remembers the words Yujin threw at her before. She thought she couldn't be more broken but seeing Yujin in this state shattered her heart into pieces.

Yujin finally lifted her head to look directly into Wonyoung's eyes, "You were so fragile, Wonyoung. All I ever wanted was to protect you and I know that I would hurt you some time in the future so to prevent that, I tried pushing you away," 

Wonyoung shook her head, "Pushing me away shouldn't have been an option, Yujin,"

"I know. At that time, it seemed like the only option; but, now, I know I had other choices. I regret it so much, Wonyoung. I was so caught up with changes happening at once—going to high school, transferring schools, meeting new people, and, on top of it all, not seeing you as frequent as I was used to. It scared me and I panicked. I happened to take it all out on you; which I shouldn't have done. I'm really really really really really sorry," 

They stared at each other; savoring this moment.

Wonyoung cleared , "It must've been difficult on your part, then," she pauses, "I forgive you, Yujin. You acknowledge what you had done and it takes courage to do that," she smiles.

Yujin smiles back, "Are we back together like Minjoo and Chaewon?" her smile turns into a grin but Wonyoung gives her a bitter smile in return, "No. You'll have to prove yourself again, Yujin. Forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean we forget everything that happened; rather, keeping it in mind so that we don't make the same mistakes again," Yujin was about to argue but Wonyoung raised her index finger, "Also, forgiving you doesn't mean our relationship would pick up from where we left off. It is not a game where you could go back to the checkpoint whenever you want to."

Yujin couldn't do anything but sigh in defeat, "Fine. I'll prove to you that I can make you love me again."