II.

To Love Again

Minjoo silently dragged Chaewon while holding her hand. Chaewon stared at their hands and a warm feeling fills her heart as she feels the familiar touch that she missed. The older girl looked back to see if she could get a glimpse of Wonyoung and Yujin. She is worried about Wonyoung because she knows that no matter how strong the younger girl acts on the outside, she still breaks at the smallest things.

When Chaewon saw that Yujin walked away and Wonyoung followed suit, she stopped walking before pulling Minjoo's hand to keep her from walking further. The younger girl turned to Chaewon, "Why?" she asked, "Your plan worked. They're going to talk in some private place now. You can let go of me," Chaewon said as she flashed a small smile.

Minjoo shook her head, "We also need to talk," she tried to look straight into Chaewon's eyes but she couldn't. Chaewon stayed silent, expecting the younger girl to start speaking again, but they ended up just awkwardly standing in the middle of the corridor. 

With a little courage, Minjoo reached for Chaewon's hand again before pulled the latter closer. The senior did not resist as Minjoo closed the distance between their bodies. The junior's hand is still holding Chaewon's as her free hand wrapped around Chaewon's waist. Minjoo rested her head on Chaewon's shoulder where she started crying silently. Aware that Minjoo is tearing up, Chaewon moved to hug the younger girl back but her other arm stopped halfway.

"Please," Minjoo said between her quiet sobs, "Please," with her faint voice, she pleaded again.

Chaewon gulped before wrapping her arms around Minjoo. As she felt the older girl's embrace, Minjoo only broke down more. Chaewon tried to calm Minjoo down by rubbing her back but this only made the latter cry harder.

Minjoo missed this. She never knew that she would be able to feel this again. She hates herself for what she did before. She was aware that it wasn't the only way but her rashness got the best of her.

While Chaewon tried to shush her crying, Minjoo hugged Chaewon tighter. Truth be told, they're comfortable in each other's warmth. Words cannot contain how much they missed each other. They were quite a famous couple in their school and everyone was literally surprised when rumors of their breakup spread. Although, Minjoo had it harder because some students would look at her with judging eyes as they talk about how 'entitled she must've felt to dump Chaewon just like that'.

"I'm sorry," Minjoo quietly said. It was muffled since she buried her face on Chaewon's shoulder. Despite being a little inaudible, Chaewon understood what her junior just said. Unconsciously, the edge of Chaewon's eyes filled with tears and as she blinked, they streamed down her face.

Minjoo pulled away then she wiped her tears. She looked at Chaewon and she felt a pang in her heart seeing the older girl crying. This reminded her of their breakup. The scene replayed in her mind as emotions welled up inside of her. She cleared again, "It was a mistake. I was a fool for letting you go and hurting you like that. And I know it's unfair because I didn't even ask you beforehand," she explained, "I'm not expecting you to forgive me soon or if you ever will. I hate myself for not really thinking things through and not considering what you would've felt. Chaewon, you deserve to be treated more than how I did. I was stupid thinking that I'd be a distraction to you while we're together. If I could only go back in time, I'd hit my self and tell her that it would distract you more if you get hurt," Minjoo continued as she hit her head lightly with her fist.

Minjoo kept hitting her head so Chaewon decided to hold her wrist to keep the younger girl from hurting herself. Chaewon remembers how often Minjoo would do this to herself whenever she becomes frustrated. Their memories together flooded Chaewon's mind; and she is reminded of how much she wants to protect Minjoo.

"Don't," Chaewon said as she slowly put down Minjoo's hand by the wrist. Chaewon smiled a little before patting the younger girl's head—which took Minjoo by surprise. Minjoo immediately raised her head to look at Chaewon and her eyes filled with tears again when she saw her senior's smile up close.

"You're smart but sometimes the stupid randomly jumps out," Chaewon said with her hand still resting on Minjoo's head. 

"I really am sorry, you know," Minjoo pouted.

"That's good to hear," Chaewon paused, "I guess?"

Minjoo chuckled, "I'll do anything to make it up to you," for the first time since their breakup, the younger girl finally flashed a real smile.

"Do my homework," Chaewon said with a straight face while Minjoo's smile slowly faded, "That's not fair!" Minjoo whined as she stomped her feet like a baby. Chaewon laughed at her and Minjoo smiled again. This was the very laughter that would light up her day—a melody that she wouldn't get tired of hearing.

It took some time before Chaewon caught her breath from laughing. Minjoo even lightly hit her arm a couple of times to make her stop but to no avail. Chaewon jokingly wiped some tears off the edge of her eyes after laughing so much. She cleared before speaking, "Just do me a favor and let's start over again," she offered.

Minjoo's jaw dropped. Chaewon giggled and she reached for Minjoo's chin to close the younger girl's mouth. After that, she bopped the tip of Minjoo's nose making the younger girl's face light up. She smiled so wide that her whisker-like dimples showed up.

"I missed that smile," Chaewon said as she ruffled the younger girl's hair.

"Hey!" Minjoo slapped Chaewon's hand away, "You know how much I hate getting my hair messed up," she complained while fixing her hair.

Chaewon chuckled, "That's why I keep doing it," she explained and Minjoo glared at her, "Plus, you look cuter when your hair's all over the place," Chaewon beamed a smile that made Minjoo's heart beat fast. She could feel her face heating up so she cupped her cheeks with her hands. "Like what I said," Chaewon then put her own hands over Minjoo's and uttered, "Cute," while her smile grew wider.

The older girl's remarks didn't help Minjoo calm down. If anything, it made things worse. Minjoo is panicking deep inside and her heart is about to burst. They used to be like this while they were together but Minjoo never got the hang of it. It's like she's always feeling things for the first time. Chaewon wasn't really the type of person that you would think as a romantic one because she gives off an icy aura. Minjoo could remember the first time Chaewon approached her to ask for her name and number. She felt shivers down her spine when she saw the older girl walking down the corridor and she stood like a plank when the said girl stopped in front of her. Since that day, they started hanging out and, eventually, develop feelings for each other.

"B-by start o-over again, h-how far in t-the past i-is that?" Minjoo asked while stumbling over her words. Chaewon walked closer and Minjoo became stiff, "Not too far," Chaewon leaned closer to whisper into Minjoo's ear, "If ever you didn't get it, I meant the day I called you mine," the younger girl felt shivers down her spine while her heart feels like it wanted t.

"Y-you m-mean," Minjoo was too flustered to actually find the words she wanted to say. Chaewon, on the other hand, found it amusing to see her junior act like this. She proceeded to pinch Minjoo's cheeks with both her hands, "Yes, we're back together," she assured and she cracked up when Minjoo's eyes grew wide, just like how they would whenever she tried to impersonate the cymbal monkey. 

"Oh my god," Minjoo said in disbelief, "OH MY GOD!" she repeated—only this time she jumped into Chaewon's arms. Minjoo hugged Chaewon so tight and the latter gladly returned it. They really missed each other's embrace and this one seems to be making up for the lost time. They both started tearing up out of happiness. Minjoo still feels overwhelmed because she didn't expect this in the first place. Her initial plan was to take Chaewon away from Wonyoung so that Yujin can talk to her while Minjoo gets to talk to Chaewon—it was a win-win situation for them. In that plan, Minjoo thought that Chaewon wouldn't give her the easy way out so she mentally prepared herself for rejection. Little does she know, it was only her that Chaewon was waiting for. Since the day that Minjoo cut ties with her, Chaewon waited for Minjoo to take it back because no matter how hurt she felt, the younger girl will always have her heart. At the very moment Minjoo held Chaewon's hand again, the older girl already forgave the younger.

The school bell rang and Minjoo grunted. Chaewon put her hands on Minjoo's shoulders and pushed her a little so that she could look at her properly, "Pay attention in class. Don't think about me too much. See you later," she said before running away while waving her hand goodbye. Minjoo watched as Chaewon's figure grew smaller. When she couldn't see the other girl anymore, she started sprinting to her classroom; but, on her way, she saw the back of someone familiar. 

"Yujin!" she called out but the person didn't stop dragging herself. Minjoo caught up and made the person face her. She was right—it was Yujin—but something was wrong. 

"What happened?" Minjoo asked but Yujin didn't seem to hear it. The latter only blankly stared at her. Minjoo has a feeling of what happened but she figured that she wouldn't be able to talk to Yujin properly. Instead, she dropped Yujin by her classroom before running in full speed to her own. Fortunately, Minjoo got there on time.

------------------------------------------------------------

Minjoo was already fixing her things when one of her classmates went up to her and tapped her shoulder. She turned to her, "Yes?" she said and her classmate gestured over their door, "Someone came looking for you," she said before walking away. Minjoo looked over to where her classmate gestured and there she saw Chaewon standing and waving at her. She hurriedly put her bag on her back and ran towards her senior.

"We're back at this again, I guess," Minjoo said with a smile plastered on her face.

Chaewon nodded, "Yes. Let's go," she reached for Minjoo's hand and her fingers perfectly fitted themselves in the gaps between Minjoo's own fingers. Chaewon started walking but she stopped because Minjoo didn't move, "Why?" the older girl asked, "Can we please check on Yujin? I bumped into her earlier but she doesn't seem okay," worry was written all over Minjoo's face. Chaewon had no other choice but to tag along. They started walking the other way and they could hear the whispers of the other students. They continued making their way to Yujin's classroom, not paying attention to what the others have to say.

As they reached the door of Yujin's classroom, Minjoo looked over the glass to see if Yujin is still there and she sighed when she saw who she was looking for sleeping in their seat. Minjoo tugged Chaewon and they both went inside since there were only a few students who were cleaning. The sophomores exchanged confused glances to each other upon the entrance of two upperclassmen. Chaewon noticed this and talked, "We'll just get Yujin, continue what you're doing," she made sure to smile and chuckle a little to ease the tension. The sophomores nodded and did as asked.

Minjoo let go of Chaewon's hand when they finally got to Yujin's seat. Chaewon watched as Minjoo wrapped her arms around Yujin to gently shake the latter in order to wake her up. Yujin slowly raised her head, "Yujin," Minjoo weakly said as Yujin's bloodshot eyes looked back at her. Yujin's eyes were red not only because she just woke up but also because she has been crying. Chaewon looked at Yujin's desk and saw that her notebook's pages wrinkled, a sign that they got wet and dried after some time. 

Yujin sniffed, "You're with her?" she said as she pointed at Chaewon. Minjoo nodded and looked at Chaewon, "We fixed what had to be fixed; and it turned out well," she smiled before turning her attention back to Yujin. "Good for you," Yujin weakly said before slowly standing up to gather her things. Minjoo turned to Chaewon again and the latter understood what the younger girl meant. Chaewon took a step back and let the two talk alone. 

Minjoo leaned on the table beside Yujin, "Do you want to talk about what went on with you and Wonyoung earlier?" she asked and Yujin stopped what she was doing for a while like she was thinking of what to say, "If I say no, will you stop bugging me about it?" then Yujin continued to fix her things. Minjoo just smiled and shook her head. Yujin looked at her, "It's over," and her eyes welled up with tears again. The younger girl quickly averted her gaze and closed her bag. She turned to Minjoo, "I'll get going. Have fun with Chaewon. I'm happy for you," Yujin pursed her lips for her dimples to appear and she lightly tapped Minjoo's arm before leaving. 

As soon as she went out of Yujin's classroom, Minjoo saw Chaewon leaning against the wall beside the door. "Yujin's seatmate approached me when I went out. She said that Yujin had her head down after you dropped her here. She tried checking on her from time to time and she heard faint sobs," Chaewon paused for a while, "Her classmates think you dumped her," the older girl said trying to contain her laugh. Minjoo shot her a glare before reaching for Chaewon's hand to hold it.

"She's broken, you know," Minjoo said as they swung their hands.

"In Wonyoung's stories, that was Wonyoung two years ago," Chaewon stopped and Minjoo did the same. "I don't know if Wonyoung would tell me something but I think you should go catch up with Yujin and talk to her. I'll try my luck with Wonyoung," Chaewon suggested and Minjoo nodded her head in agreement. They separated their ways and Chaewon started calling Wonyoung.

------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily for Chaewon, Wonyoung had cleaning duties and was only about to leave when she called. The senior sighed in relief as she reached the freshman's classroom and saw her waiting by the door. Chaewon called for her and Wonyoung turned her head towards her before waving back. 

Chaewon tried catching her breath before talking, "Let's go?" she asked and Wonyoung nodded. While they were walking, Chaewon started asking about how Wonyoung's day went and if she was having a hard time. Wonyoung only answered with a giggle, "Go straight to the point. I know you want to ask about what happened between me and Yujin," she said and Chaewon could only scratch the back of her head in embarrassment, "I forgot you were smart and quick to catch on things," she shyly said and Wonyoung shook her head. The younger girl looked at her with a small smile, "What I did back there wasn't so smart, though," she said before looking down on the ground. Chaewon tilted her head in confusion and Wonyoung sighed before explaining what really transpired earlier.

"It's so dumb, right?" Wonyoung finished her story as they both sat down in the ice cream parlor with their orders in their hands. Chaewon took her time to process everything that Wonyoung just told her, "Okay, let me get this straight, you finally found the answer you couldn't find two years ago and Yujin was asking you to come back to her but you pushed her away?" she asked and Wonyoung nodded, "Wow, I could've said that instead," the  younger girl said while pouting her lips.

Chaewon leaned back on her seat as she crossed her arms, "Why?" she looked serious.

"What do you mean?" Wonyoung asked as she took a spoon of mint choco ice cream into .

"She said she still loves you, Wonyoung. She wants to get back together. Why didn't you let her prove herself to you?"

Wonyoung put down her ice cream, "I think you overlooked the important detail in what I said. She doesn't love me for me anymore. She's stuck with the old me not me, me," the younger girl explained and Chaewon could only furrow her eyebrows. Wonyoung sighed, "Look, before she broke up with me, I was slowly becoming more independent and I was proud of it. I kept on telling her how I have been doing things on my own. I guess she didn't like that and got scared that I would dump her one day because I wouldn't need her anymore. Fear got the best of her so she decided that before I break her, she'll do it to me first," as soon as Wonyoung stopped talking, Chaewon finally pieced everything together.

"Are you preventing her to be manipulative if ever you get back together? Is that it?"

"Yes. I hope my words got to her, though. Yujin could be hardheaded most of the time," Wonyoung said and she took another bite.

Chaewon watched Wonyoung enjoy her ice cream, "It got to her, Wonyoung. It really hit her like a truck," she said before digging into her ice cream.

Wonyoung stopped eating, "How would you know?"

Chaewon gave Wonyoung a small smile, "We always talk about my feelings for Minjoo and how I'm not mad at her for hurting me despite the pain I feel whenever I see her with Yujin, right?" Wonyoung hummed yes then Chaewon continued, "We talked and we're back together," she finished and she stayed silent, waiting for Wonyoung's response.

"And how does that answer my question?" Wonyoung raised an eyebrow and only at that time did Chaewon realize.

"Well, Minjoo wanted to check on Yujin. We went to her classroom and she looked miserable,"

Wonyoung snickered, "Are you saying this to make me feel guilty? Let me remind you that I was in her shoes once. I went through so much pain and I had no one by my side," the younger girl had her head down and has her hands balled into fists. Chaewon felt a pinch in her heart as she saw Wonyoung's tears drop to the table. She was crying silently but she couldn't stop her body, especially her fists, from shaking. Chaewon moved her seat closer to the table in order to reach Wonyoung better.

"I'm sorry I haven't met you when you needed someone," Chaewon said as she rubbed Wonyoung's arm for comfort. She knew that it wouldn't ease the pain but she does it anyway. When the younger girl finally gathered herself together, she lifted her head up and looked at Chaewon straight into her eyes, "The past doesn't matter anymore. The important thing is that I pulled through and got out of that slump. And, of course, I have you now," Wonyoung smiled and Chaewon's heart dropped. She always knew that no matter how much Wonyoung denies it, her fragile self will always be inside of her. Wonyoung doesn't really want to show her vulnerable side to anyone but Chaewon manages to make her do so when she's around.

Chaewon let out a deep breath, "What's your plan now? Act like Yujin's a ghost?" Wonyoung stared into the void with that question. If she's being honest, she really hasn't thought this part through. All she knows is that she needs to stay away from Yujin because if she doesn't, she's afraid she might put her guard down and let the older girl enter her life again. Wonyoung went through this ordeal before and she barely made it. She doesn't know if she'll be able to make it the second time around.

------------------------------------------------------------

While Chaewon went for Wonyoung, Minjoo ran as fast as she could to catch up to Yujin. As soon as she made a left turn towards the exit, she saw Yujin walking like a zombie. She sprinted and when she was finally beside Yujin, she rested her left arm on the younger girl's right shoulder. Yujin got startled but when she saw that it was Minjoo, she stopped walking. Minjoo then took this chance to catch her breath.

"I thought you're going home with Chaewon?" Yujin tilted her head.

"I did not say that. You suddenly left and I didn't even have the chance to talk to you properly," Minjoo squinted her eyes at Yujin and the latter chuckled, "Sorry, okay?" Yujin said and she put her hands in front of Minjoo as if telling the older girl to chill.

Minjoo started walking and dragged Yujin by her sleeve to make the latter follow suit, "What happened back there?" Minjoo straight up asked and she felt Yujin tense up. She thought there is no point in trying to ask Yujin some nonsense before asking about what she really wants to know; and on another note, Minjoo already approached her about it earlier.

Yujin looked down and she smiled bitterly, "She resents me, Minjoo. I mean, I would hate me too if I were in her shoes, but—" Yujin stopped for a moment because she started choking in her tears. Minjoo wrapped an arm around Yujin's shoulders to provide some sort of comfort. Yujin sniffed before continuing, "But I can't help getting hurt hearing those words from her."

"What did she say?"

"That I was wrong," Yujin wiped her tears, "She made me admit to myself what I have been denying all these years," she cleared , "But do you know what got to me the most?" Minjoo hummed to let the younger girl continue, "She seems to be doubting my feelings," Yujin sighed in frustration while Minjoo just accompanied her. They walked silently and as they reached the bus stop, Yujin plopped down on the bench. Minjoo sat beside her and with a deep breath, she asked Yujin an important question, "Is that it? You're going to give up?" Minjoo turned her head to look at Yujin, who still has the same bitter smile plastered on her face, "If that's what she wants, then yes," her voice was weak and the answer was a whisper. 

"When will you find the courage to fight for what you deserve?" Minjoo asked again, this time, turning away from Yujin and looking at the road straight ahead.

"You might think I deserve her but I don't. She deserves someone better than me," Yujin's shoulders dropped at what she had just said. "She wants you, Yujin. I'm very sure she's just afraid that history would repeat itself. If there's one thing that she doesn't deserve then it's your coward self. You know you can go for her and win that internal battle you're having with the fear brewing inside of you; it's just that you easily gave up without even trying," Minjoo raised her voice a little, making Yujin flinch.

Yujin let out a deep sigh, "I won't risk going after her knowing that I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from being the usual me—or, at the very least, go back to the old me. I will not pursue her again without fixing my self first," she stares at the ground, "I can't afford seeing her break because of me again. I swore to myself that I'll protect Wonyoung at all costs even if it means staying away from her," Yujin tightly gripped the strap of her backpack, "Even if it means letting her go," it was as if she was only whispering those words, "Again," and as this word escaped , tears started dropping from her eyes.

"Look at me," Minjoo ordered and Yujin did as told. As soon as she raised her head, she met with Minjoo's blank expressions and before she could speak, Minjoo slapped her. Yujin was too surprised that the first response she had was to place her hand over the cheek that caught the impact of Minjoo's palm. The older girl stood up, "I hope that's enough to wake you up. Do yourself a favor and actually try this time," Minjoo said before turning around and walking away.