Signed

All of the Stars

Golden Clouds Entertainment and Independent Stars Entertainment were two totally different entertainment industries in Korea. They were on the board of being in the top 4 companies. The other two being DUST Entertainment and Hitting Stars Entertainment. (A/N: I with names but you get the point).

 

Golden Clouds Entertainment (GCE) was one of the very first entertainment agencies. The company started off very small ran by a family and later turned into a huge empire once they expanded their horizons to music. GCE ran to the top with their chart-topping boy group, TuneUp. GCE expanded in the beginning of 2003 and continued moving up with the production of quality idols and talented actors/actresses. GCE went big in 2010 with the start of girl group,  Cherry Roses, who included the very first international (non-korean) female idol. From there GCE’s company expanded to child acting and modeling. GCE continued to create talented soloists and groups. Their idols typically known for clean cut images, innocence, classiness, and pristin looks. In 2012, they decided to try something new and tried their very first bad boy image with their group, 6oys (boys). The public was shocked by the image but quickly adjusted to it. GCE then took their idols in other groups to take on the bad image but they kept other groups clean. GCE is known as the company with clean idols with that one bad boy/girl, their actors and actresses, and their juicy idol scandals. They also are rumored to have ties with the mafia which keeps them feared by certain companies and brands.

 

As for Independent Stars Entertainment (ISE), it began with strictly music and has focused on making the best idols ever. They made sure their idols had top notch vocals, impeccable dance skills, and award winning acting skills. Despite the name of the company, the company controls their stars strictly and don’t care if the public knows. They claim to only want the best and the best is made with strict authority. ISE’s growth came from soloist, Goo Ji-eun, who was one of the first idols to be sent to America to promote Kpop. Ji-eun received so much love in America that ISE gained attention in America and quickly rose in Korea and America. Soon tons of parents paid for their children to train under the company and only the best of the best would make it. ISE is known for their strict ways , international workings- many of their idols winning large awards around Korea and Japan- , and their variety in group/idol concepts.

 

Hye-jin was personally picked by the CEO of GCE when she was a trainee under ISE for her development. The CEO, Sun Jun-ho, had kept careful watch over 6th grade Hye-jin when she auditioned at the mall. It was a bit creepy but he predicted she would grow into a beautiful woman and his prediction was correct. He sent people to spy on her during her trainee days at ISE. They kept him up to date on her vocals and her beauty, he decided after years of thinking to finally get Hye-jin under his label but he knew ISE wouldn’t give Hye-jin up so easily. CEO Jun-ho met with the CEO of ISE, Cho Min-su, to negotiate deals. CEO Min-su wasn’t onboard with giving Hye-jin up and instead offered Byul-yi to CEO Jun-ho.

 

Moon Byul-yi had the perfect background story. A girl from a poor family who wanted to sing to help her family out. CEO Jun-ho took that deal and soon Byul-yi left ISE to continue training under GCE but CEO Jun-ho had to give up a trainee. He sent one of his boy trainees and thought he would be satisfied without Hye-jin but he wasn’t. He returned to CEO Min-su once again two months later. This time money got involved and essentially he paid for Hye-jin to go under GCE. Of course no one knew this besides the two CEOS. The price of Ahn Hye-jin was nearly a million but CEO Jun-ho didn’t regret his decision when he learned of her transferral to his company.

 

When Hye-jin left ISE she was a bit sad to leave Whee-in behind but excited to start her journey to debut. She was requested to withdrawal from university and to move into an apartment in Busan with four other girls. Hye-jin quickly followed the request and found herself crying in the train station with Whee-in the day she had to leave to the shared apartment. Hye-jin didn’t typically have anxiety but the train ride to Busan left her stomach with butterflies. She didn’t even wait for the train to pull off before calling Whee-in to talk on the phone on her journey.

 

“What if they aren’t as cool as you?” Hye-jin cried into her phone.

 

“They’ll be cooler than me.” She said with a snorty sniffle.

 

“No one is as cool as my Whee! She can draw, she can sing, she can cook really good food.”

 

“Aish, I’m sure those girls can do that as well!”

 

“But not like my Whee. Whee, promise me that you’ll send me food!”

 

“I’ll try to.”

 

“I hope the company lets me keep my phone.”

 

“Me too.”

 

Both girls grew silent as Whee-in stood on the train station platform. Hye-jin had her eyes fixed on the window, picturing Whee-in running along side the train. It was a moment like this that Hye-jin needed Whee-in more than Whee-in needed her. Hye-jin played with the ring on her finger and took a shaky breath. What if these girls hated her? What if these girls made fun of her weight and body? What if these girls tried to murder her in her sleep?

 

“Hye-jin?” Whee-in asked, interrupting Hye-jin’s thoughts.

 

“Whee-in?”

 

“No one is going to murder you.”

 

Hye-jin erupted into loud laughter. Whee-in had managed to read her mind as the kilometers between them grew wider. Whee-in laughed as well, both girls getting weird stares as they snorted and cried in laughter. But it was the truth, Hye-jin wouldn’t get murder. Hye-jin would probably be the one most likely to murder them before they do her. They sighed in unison, their breathing calming together as their phone call continued.

 

“Whee, when we debut… We have to make sure the public knows we are best friends.”

 

“Of course. They’ll see us and be like they are the two young girls who are irreparable.”

 

“No making best friends with your group members.”

 

“I highly doubt I will… You scared me when you tried to befriend me.”

 

Hye-jin snorted loudly, her head turning from the window to her bag. Her ankles crossing over one another as she got comfortable on the train. Her head falling back against the seat as they recounted Hye-jin’s attempts to befriend Whee-in.

 

Whee-in’s lips were stuck in a dimpled smile as she left the train station. Her laughter filling the air as she walked with skips in her steps.  Both girls laughed together, not caring that the world was giving them rude looks. Soon the world will come to love their laughter and pay for photocards of their smiles. Hye-jin and Whee-in make multiple promises to each other. Their phone call lasting until Hye-jin’s phone died.

 

Whee-in stopped in her tracks as the call suddenly ended. She now felt the pain of losing Hye-jin. Even though her best friend was just going to Busan, she didn’t know if she could continue this without Hye-jin. Her smile faded, her heart dropping to her stomach. She stood in the middle of the sidewalk, people pushing her and bumping her without apologies. Whee-in gasped out as her phone slipped from her hand and hit the ground. She quickly bent down to retrieve it. Could she really do this without Hye-jin? She shook the thoughts away and decided she could. She could do it because she wanted to and she made a promise to Hye-jin and her family. Whee-in smiled once again and headed back to ISE to start training with her soon to be group members.

 

Hye-jin arrived at the train station in Busan with a cold stare on her face. Her nerves were high but she didn’t want to show weakness. She got off the train with her three suitcases and bag. She looked around, her eyes squinting in slits as she looked for the person who was supposed to pick her up. She was told the driver was a woman named, Bo-hee. She wanted to punch herself for not charging her phone but she didn’t dwell on it too long. She wheeled her bags to a vending machine, grabbing out cash to grab a snack. Hye-jin pressed the buttons to choose her snack item before jumping from the sudden hands on her shoulders.

“Ahn Fatal?!”

 

Hye-jin quickly turned and sunk back against the vending machine. It was that girl, Moon Byul-yi. Hye-jin remembered Byul-yi due to the huge lesbian crush Whee-in had on her. She remembered Whee-in being sad when Byul-yi left ISE with no explanation. They both figured Byul-yi got dropped for her vocals. Byul-yi was an amazing dancer but her vocals wasn’t her strong suit or she was just to shy to show them off. But from what Hye-jin heard from Whee-in, Byul-yi was an expert rapper with charming winks. Hye-jin also learned through Whee-in that Byul-yi liked to write songs and even produced music.

 

“Earth to Ahn?” Byul-yi said, snapping her fingers in front of Hye-jin’s face.

 

Hye-jin shook her head like an animated character and raised an eyebrow, “What are you doing here?”

 

“What are you doing here?” Byul-yi mocked, copying Hye-jin’s facial expression.

 

If Hye-jin wasn’t so damn nervous she would laugh but instead she just glared at Byul-yi. Byul-yi’s playful exterior quickly changed to a serious one, her rabbit teeth vanishing. She pointed towards the door to the train station. “Bo-hee and I were waiting for you.” Like a gentlewoman, Byul-yi took two of Hye-jin’s bags and led her over to their driver. Hye-jin gulped as she followed Byul-yi, this dream turning into more of a reality. She quickly bowed to Bo-hee. She introduced herself and followed them to the van. She couldn’t wait until she got the opportunity to charge her phone to tell Whee-in who was in the same group as her.

 

Inside the van, Byul-yi sat in the back with Hye-jin to make her feel more comfortable. Both girls remained silent for a bit. The radio and Bo-hee’s coughing filling up the awkward silence. Hye-jin played with the ring on her finger, her gaze stuck on the window. She watched the buildings pass them by.

 

“How’s Whee-in?” Byul-yi finally asked, she broke the silence.

 

Hye-jin looked over at Byul-yi, “She’s… Okay… Do you not talk to her?”

 

Byul-yi shook her head and sighed heavily, “They’ll take your phone.”

 

Hye-jin silently cursed. Of course… She should’ve known this. Many companies did this to make sure their upcoming idols really focused and didn’t leak secrets to the public. Hye-jin just hoped she could get her phone charged enough to call Whee-in before they stole her cellular freedom.

 

“Have you met the others yet?” Hye-jin asked to keep her mind off of her phone and Whee-in.

 

Byul-yi shook her head and stretched out her arms towards the roof of the van, “Just you. We’re heading to the company to meet up with the others.”

 

Hye-jin silently cursed again. She hoped they could’ve stopped by the apartment first so she could hide her phone. She simply put her phone in one of her bags and took a deep breath as the van rolled up to the company building. She climbed out and thanked Bo-hee, who remained inside of the van. Hye-jin followed close behind Byul-yi, who walked with confidence and as if she’s done this a million times before. She bowed to the people they passed in the building but she remained close behind Byul-yi.

 

The girls took the elevator up to the floor, where their assigned practice room was. Hye-jin looked around the hallway as they walked to a door. Hye-jin read the names on the piece of paper taped to the door: Kim Hyuna, Bae Juhyun, Moon Byulyi, Kang Seulgi, and Ahn Hyejin. Hye-jin almost screamed from seeing her own name. This was becoming official, those were the names of her group members and behind this wooden door they would be waiting there.

 

Hye-jin took a deep breath as Byul-yi opened the door with swagger. Hye-jin shuffled in behind her. There she found the other three girls in the room. One in sweats in the corner on her phone. Another one in front of the mirror doing chest pops and a bit shaking to the nonexistent music, and the last one standing at the window. As soon as her and Byul-yi entered, all three girls turned their attention to them. Everyone bowed and awkwardly greeted each other. Hye-jin learned the corner sitter was Seul-gi, the dancer being Hyuna, and the window girl being Ju-hyun.

 

Hye-jin couldn’t help but notice how close in height her and Seul-gi was. 162 cm Hye-jin was only 161 cm. It was a bit comforting but she felt intimidated by Hyuna’s flawless beauty and Ju-hyun’s flawless beauty. Both of the women looked like models and they weren’t even wearing makeup. Hye-jin suddenly felt self-conscious, something she rarely felt. Hye-jin zoned out as each girl flopped down on the ground and formed a mini-circle. Hye-jin came back to earth and took a seat next to Byul-yi.

 

She was now in between Seul-gi and Byul-yi. Her eyes meeting Ju-hyun’s as they all got comfortable on the ground.

 

“Who is our baby?” Hyuna asked with a smile.

 

“I bet its Seul-gi, she looks pretty young.” Byul-yi said.

 

Hye-jin glanced at Seul-gi. Was this girl the baby?

 

“I’m a ‘94 liner.” Seul-gi said with a nervous chuckle.

 

“Ohh! I’m ‘92 liner.” Byul-yi said.

 

“I’m ‘92 as well, which month?” Hyuna asked.

 

“December.” Byul-yi replied.

 

“I’m your unnie then.. I’m June.” Hyuna said with a smile.

 

“A-ah, I’m ‘91 liner.” Irene cutted in with a shy smile.

 

“Oo! You’re the oldest of us then!” Byul-yi pointed out.

 

Hye-jin’s face grew hot as everyone eyes fell on her. Dammit, she’s the baby of the group. Hye-jin didn’t want to be the maknae but she couldn’t complain. It was better than nothing. She smiled cooly and leaned back on her hands.

 

“I’m ‘95 liner.”

 

She cringed as the girls fawned over Hye-jin being the youngest. She hoped she wouldn’t get too much crap for being the baby and hoped that the company wouldn’t shove her into a baby image. Even if Hye-jin was the baby, she looked maturest besides Hyuna.

 

“We all look so different. I wonder what concept we’ll be stuck with.” Seul-gi said, her feet lightly tapping against the wooden floor.

 

“I bet I will get stuck with the bad girl image.” Hyuna mentioned.

 

“No! You’ll probably get the y concept. Bad girl will probably go to Ju-hyun.” Byul-yi countered.

 

“Ju-hyun unnie looks too innocent.” Seul-gi shared.

 

Hye-jin simply listened as her group members went on with guessing who would get what role in the group. This was really her new life. No Whee-in by her side but she couldn’t complain. She was just glad everyone seemed nice and accepting. Hye-jin was also glad no one was forcing her to speak. She figured it's because she’s the maknae and they don’t want to stress her out. Maybe, being maknae won’t be too bad.

 

She continued to listen as the conversation went on. She learned Hyuna is from Hongje-dong, Seul-gi is the only child, Ju-hyun collects plushies, and that Byul-yi didn’t have much confidence when it comes to dressing feminine. After awhile the group of girls were all looking at Hye-jin. She took a deep breath, it was time to shake Whee-in off her mind and get to know her group members.

 

“I uh I-” Hye-jin started.

But company officials walked into the studio. All girls were on their feet at once. They formed a natural line as the officials took their places. Everyone followed with polite bows and introductions. The officials requested that all five girls follow them to the meeting room to discuss the future for the five of them. This was it. Hye-jin will become an idol with Ju-hyun, Hyuna, Byul-yi, and Seul-gi.

~

Meanwhile Whee-in found herself at a cafe waiting for her group members and manager. She was the first to arrive and her nervousness was way more noticeable than Hye-jin’s. Whee-in’s feet swung under the table because her feet couldn’t reach the floor. Her long hair in a tight ponytail that she kept tugging on. She kept her phone on the table, waiting for a possible call from Hye-jin. But one didn’t come through and that made Whee-in even more scared. She took a deep breath and decided to just shoot Hye-jin a quick message.

 

To: My Hye <3

 

I’m meeting my members today too! I’m so scared. >.< wish u were here.

 

Whee-in put her phone aside and played with the ring on her finger. Her mind went to the day Hye-jin presented the rings as presents. She knew the rings costed something because it never turned her finger green so the silver had to be real. She was still trying to think of the perfect gift for Hye-jin to match up to the matching friendship rings. She rubbed her thumb over her birthstone and took deep breaths. Her head instantly shaking as one of the waitresses approached her to ask if she wanted anything. If she got a drink or eat anything at this moment, she knew she’ll just hurl it right back up. Wouldn’t that be an amazing first impression? Throwing up in front of her group members.

 

Her mind raced with what ifs and her chest tightened with anxiety. She took longer breaths and exhaled loudly. The panic attack was slowly building and she knew that would be a terrible first impression as well as throwing up. She called Hye-jin’s phone, the phone sending her straight to voicemail.

 

“H-hye… I’m so scared. They aren’t here yet… How are things for you? D-did anyone try to murder y-you yet?” She laughed at the end of her nervous message and hung the phone up.

 

Her eyes went to the window as she watched a familiar face walk by. She stood up slightly as Yong-sun opened the door to the cafe. Was Yong-sun one of her group members? She didn’t know too much about Yong-sun but the older girl scared her. Yong-sun’s voice was insanely impressive and Whee-in always worried Yong-sun would find Whee-in’s voice weak. She watched Yong-sun as the older girl looked around. They made eye contact and Whee-in quickly got all the way up. Yong-sun approached Whee-in with a smile, the two bowing respectfully to each other.

 

Yong-sun sat across from Whee-in and gave her a relaxed smile.

“How are you?” Yong-sun asked.

 

“N-nervous. How are you? D-do you want something to eat or drink?” Whee-in asked, looking around for that waitress.

 

“I’m nervous too. No, I’m fine.”

 

Whee-in nodded her head and sat back down. The two gave each other awkward smiles as they waited for the others. Whee-in her lips with nervous and tried to think of something to say but nothing came out. Yong-sun didn’t think too much of Whee-in’s nervousness, she simply grabbed the menu and read it as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

 

Whee-in looked back out the window and gulped as another female walked by. She watched the cafe door as she walked inside. The girl looked around with a bright smile on her lips, she instantly took notice of Whee-in and approached their table. Yong-sun and Whee-in got out of their seats and bowed along with the stranger.

 

“Hello! Im Yoona here! Nice to meet ya!” She said with a bright smile.

 

“Hello, I’m Kim Yong-sun.”

 

“J-jung Wh-whee-in.” Whee-in stammered, her face growing warm.

 

She sighed internally with relief as Yoona took a seat next to Yong-sun. The older girls chatted as Whee-in checked her phone again. She decided to send Hye-jin another text, her leg shaking under the table.

 

To: My Hye <3

 

Yongsun unnie is in my group and this girl named Im Yoona. Do you have anyone we trained with in your group?

 

Whee-in put her phone back down and gasped in surprise when she realized a new girl had arrived. She got up quickly and bowed as everyone did introductions once again. The new girl is Park Sun-young. Whee-in nibbled on her bottom lip as the other three just easily chatted as if this was nothing. Whee-in started to feel left out and a bit stupid for being so silent but her anxiety was too grand. The monster was behind Whee-in with its long nails in her shoulders and its weight on her back.

 

She desperately needed Hye-jin here before she goes crazy. She put her head down as the other three chatted and ordered drinks. They left Whee-in alone without saying another word to her. She was thankful for that but at the same time she was upset. Why weren’t they trying to include her? She looked back out the window and took notice of a van that pulled up. This time two people got out. A gorgeous girl and a man. She assumed that must be the manager and the others caught notice of them as well. Everyone got off their asses and lined up to greet the manager with a bow. The new girl is Ahn Hee-yeon. When she said her name, that made Whee-in’s heart jump. Ahn Hee-yeon. Ahn Hye-jin. She shook her head and took a seat once introductions were made.

 

“Alright. The CEO will meet with the five of you tonight over dinner but for now, I will go over the general details.” The manager started.

 

All five girls listened to the older gentleman, their full focus on him as he mentioned that the five of them will be moved into a dorm in the company building. He discussed that the oldest and the youngest will share the same room for the reality show. Reality show? They don’t even have a group name and they have a reality show? Whee-in’s eyes nearly bulged out of her head at the mention of that. She blinked quickly and hoped no one took notice of that. A reality show sounded like too much for Whee-in and this was only the beginning.

 

Will Hye-jin get a reality show, too? Whee-in wondered. She hoped so, that could be fun for the two of them. To watch each other on TV and maybe they could mention their friendships on the show. Whee-in couldn’t help but glance at her phone as it lit up, she hoped it was Hye-jin but it was only her fellow classmate alerting her about the art exam. Whee-in didn’t even bother with replying. She was going to have to drop from university like Hye-jin did to pursue this career. Whee-in just hoped that she could return later if the debut failed and they disbanded after just one album.

 

“One more thing ladies.” The manager said as he opened a folder.

 

“Yessir?” They all said in unison.

 

“You’ll have to be willing to cut your hair short. Above the shoulders.”

 

Whee-in’s eyes widen as well as Hee-yeon’s and Sun-young’s. Yong-sun and Yoona both seemed fine with the news. But everyone agreed on that deal and grabbed the contracts assigned to the each of them. Whee-in knows if she signed this, there will be no turning back. She took a deep breath and even though they wouldn’t know, Hye-jin and Whee-in both signed their 7-year contracts at the exact same time. Doesn’t that fate sound sweet?