year four

collision
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: heejin proves some prick wrong, hyunjin (and the rest of the world) cheers her on.

~

Heejin’s fourth year begins with Haseul bounding over to her and Chaewon in unbridled excitement.

 

“I guess Headmaster Kim isn’t mad at you?”

 

Haseul rapidly shakes her head, “Headmaster Kim appointed me Head Girl!”

 

If there was anyone more deserving than Haseul of the title, the two fourth-years didn’t know who. Starting from their first year, Haseul has been a steadfast home for comfort and support. Selfless to a degree that is almost worrisome, the seventh year has a heart that seemed to naturally care and nurture for her friends and younger classmates. Academically, she consistently showed to be a top student that professors would hold high praise for. Inherently good and familiar with the code of conduct at Hogwarts, she already had experience with being a Prefect and it seemed only natural that she would earn such an important title for her last year.

 

Swaddling the Head Girl in a tight hug, Heejin and Chaewon generously give her their congratulations.

 

With her fourth year being the last Heejin shares with Haseul (and consequently Sooyoung, Vivi, and Jinsol), the girl promises to herself to remember and engrave the moments that she shares with her friends.

 

~

 

As it turns out, Haseul isn’t the only one to earn titles of authority.

 

When the girls meet up at lunch the next day, Jiwoo has her hair tied up to show the new proud Prefect emblem adorning her Hufflepuff uniform. With her large gummy smile, hands on her hips, and a confident stance, the Hufflepuff calls for the attention of her friends.

 

“So! You guys notice anything?”

 

Eleven pairs of eyes glance to her.

 

“Your hair is red now?”

 

Jiwoo shakes her head, “Yes, Hyunjin! And?”

 

“You’re wearing pants instead of a skirt?”

 

Jiwoo deflates the slightest bit. Before she can object, Chaewon interjects, “Your lipstick’s smeared?”

 

Jiwoo freezes. Jungeun pales.

 

(Heejin and Hyunjin look to each other and guise their snort of laughter as coughs.)

 

Deciding to give the poor girl mercy while she frantically wiped at the corner of her lips, Heejin acknowledges the obvious with a warm smile on her lips, “Congratulations in becoming Prefect, Jiwoo unnie.”

 

The fifth-year pouts as her friends teasingly poke at her. In the turning of the tides, Jungeun kisses her cheek, leans into her neck, and whispers, “You deserve it; I’m so proud of you, Jiwooming.”

 

(Jiwoo doesn’t know if it’s the sudden brazen showcase of affection, the nickname that’s said with such heartfelt emotion, or the the emboldening compliment that turns her cheeks scarlet.)

 

(Jiwoo figures it’s all of it. Jungeun all in her own, in love and enamored, is enough to get her heart racing and cheeks blushing.)

 

~

 

Hyunjin is usually even-tempered and it takes an awful lot of effort to irritate her, nonetheless, anger her. That is, unless her friends are concerned. Hyunjin and Heejin are shacking up in the library, studying for their Herbology test. When Heejin leaves to get a textbook, she hears a fourth-year Slytherin diagonal to her at the long table they are situated at bad mouthing the half-blood witch. Unwilling to let such words slide, Hyunjin does not hesitate to stand up for her friend.

 

“I don’t see why you think you’re so entitled to think you’re above her.”

 

“She’s not full-blooded like you and me. She has no place here, acting like she’s just as capable.”

 

Hyunjin’s blood boils and she feels her mind reel at the traditional oppressive thought that was prevalent in the past. Curling her fingers into a fist to prevent herself from lashing out and speaking through gritted teeth, it’s almost like venom is plagued in each word she throws back.

 

“That’s where you’re wrong. She’s more than capable. She works hard and she has more skill in her tiny pinky than you have in your whole body.”

 

The other Slytherin proves to be easily miffed as he bangs his fists on the table and abruptly stands, “She’s scum and she taints the purity in magic!”

 

If it wasn’t for the hand that suddenly rests at her shoulder, Hyunjin would have stood from her chair to meet the eyes of the person who deemed himself superior to her friend.

 

“Is there something wrong, Hyunjin?”

 

The sound of Heejin’s calm voice slightly deflates the anger bubbling inside of her. Gathering their belongings and stuffing them in her bag, Hyunjin opts to leave the table and away from the other Slytherin. Taking Heejin’s hand and lacing their fingers together, she takes determined steps away, “Nothing’s wrong. Let’s just go.”

 

Promptly stopping the girl on her walk of determination, Heejin lifts the hand that was holding their Herbology textbook and pouts, “But, I had to get on my tiptoes for this book.”

 

The sight in front of Hyunjin pulls the corners of her lips in an upturn.

 

(Being Hyunjin’s friend for the past three years has shown Heejin a few things. Knowing how to calm her down and taking the ladle that stewed at her anger is one of those things.)

 

In the middle of the library with their hands still interlocked, Hyunjin feels her body loosen and her shoulders relax. Swiping her thumb over the back of Heejin’s she readjusts the strap of her bag before tapping the girl’s nose.

 

“Let’s check that book out and we can study elsewhere. It’s getting too stuffy for me.”

 

Even as they leave the library and walk towards the clock tower, their hands still remain laced together.

 

All studied out and brains full of different magical plants, Heejin and Hyunjin sit at the window of the clock tower, looking out and to the sky.

 

“The library wasn’t stuffy, was it?”

 

Hyunjin, just barely glancing at the Gryffindor, lowers her head. Heejin knows her too well to believe her made up excuse for leaving. “No. The library was perfectly fine. It’s just-”

 

“What he said got to you?”

 

Hyunjin feels herself warm at the nonchalance in Heejin’s tone, “Didn’t it get to you?”

 

Heejin shrugs and hums.

 

“I’ll admit that it’s not the greatest thing to hear.”

 

Hyunjin exhales and the lingering anger tints her harsh breath.

 

“You shouldn’t have to hear bull like that. Especially when you’re doing your best to become a great witch and you’re busting your to properly learn.”

 

Hyunjin seldomly curses and Heejin knows it’s only when the girl is reeling in frustration does she express herself so. Leaning her head on the girl’s shoulder, tracing spell formations on her arm, and nuzzling into her, the slight tickling at Hyunjin’s arm and the subtle whistle of air from Heejin’s nose does well to bring her down.

 

Running a hand through her hair and sighing, Hyunjin leans her head on Heejin’s and laces their fingers together again.

 

“It’s not fair. Your blood doesn’t determine your capability. It doesn’t mean you’re any less of a wizard than me, any less human. I just don’t understand why he got off on saying such hurtful things.”

 

Heejin could only sigh. What could she say that Hyunjin already didn’t? She didn’t understand either. She didn’t understand why words from a complete stranger, who knew close to nothing about her, hurt her more than she would ever want to admit.

 

~

 

Hyunjin has no problem with following rules. In fact, she doesn’t usually go out of her way to break them. Being tied to quidditch, Hyunjin doesn’t like to threaten her position (and her team) with reckless behavior that would prevent her from playing the sport. But for Heejin, Hyunjin finds herself considering the consequences should she get in trouble for spiking a drink with an orange half of a Puking Pastille.

 

At dinner, whilst enjoying her meal, her appetite is rudely ruined when she overhears the fourth-year Slytherin from the library crudely talking about the same girl Hyunjin would sacrifice her playing eligibility for. Looking at his screwed-up and snide face, it seemed like the boy was perpetually stuck sneering. (Hyunjin is relieved that Heejin is yet to arrive for dinner. The last thing Hyunjin wanted Heejin to hear was the boy’s nasty words. Having enough of hearing his discourse, Hyunjin fishes into her backpack for the emergency Puking Pastille she keeps and breaks off the orange half of the candy. Before she leaves to find Heejin (who was probably still in the library studying for her Defense Against the Dark Arts class), Hyunjin sneakily drops the orange half into the boy’s drink for it to dissolve without having him or his friends notice.

 

Waiting by the doors of The Great Hall to watch the spectacle to come, it doesn’t take long after the boy takes a gulp of his drink for him to suddenly rush out of the doors, hands covering his mouth, in urgent search of the restroom. Or a bag. Or anything that could catch the bile rising up his throat.

 

He doesn’t quite make it anywhere substantial and throws up in the middle of the hall. While people around him groan in disgust or yelp in surprise, Hyunjin picks up stride towards the library and past the boy who leans against the wall, breathless. Stepping over the pile of vomit and glaring at him, a clear message is sent.

 

(As Jinsol would say after whacking a bludger through the air after someone is being rather verbally nasty to a teammate of hers on the pitch, “Talk , get hit!”)

 

Hyunjin feels that in the moment where their eyes meet, a dynamic shifts.

 

Hyunjin is more than willing to take any consequences if it meant that she would be protecting Heejin.

 

(When Hyunjin tells Haseul about the incident later, the Head Girl battles the two figures on her shoulder and debates whether to be a good friend or a good authority figure. Haseul compromises and makes Hyunjin tutor a first-year having difficulty in flying.

 

Hyunjin understands the girl’s predicament and takes the punishment with ease.

 

And plus, it’s flying. If Hyunjin could, she would fly all day if her body wouldn’t tire out on her.)

 

Hyunjin doesn’t tell Heejin about it when she meets her in the library. Instead, she gives her a sandwich and quizzes her on the spells she studied for. Before curfew, Hyunjin and Heejin wander around the castle, letting the stairs take them wherever they desired. At the end, however, they find their way to the clock tower, like they always do.

 

The clock tower is a place they go to at the end of day. It had become tradition for them to frequent the tower to sit and talk, away from everything. It felt most isolated there, like nothing could break the revere they create there together.

 

(It also works as an excellent reminder for them to return to their dorms before curfew comes.)

 

Even there, where most of their disclosure on fears and doubts takes place, Hyunjin does not tell her. She didn’t see the point of worrying her and distracting her from her studies.

 

~

 

In Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor Kim announces the start of formal dueling practice. At the announcement, there is a low murmur of excitement between the students. Studying and learning spells is one thing, actually practicing them is another. In her gut, Heejin feels a need to prove herself. To who? She wouldn’t know. Perhaps it might’ve been Professor Kim.

 

She always did admire Professor Kim. Not only is she an excellent witch, but she is also an extremely vital teacher. Even outside of the classroom, she graciously extends her time and effort in aiding students who need help. In Heejin’s first year, while she was grasping magic and everything to do with it, Professor Kim walked her through a few lessons and if it hadn’t been for that, she would have fallen behind.

 

Ever since then, especially for this class, Heejin works diligently in practicing spells and mastering them.

 

When Professor Kim calls up Heejin’s name for demonstration, the Gryffindor hopes that Professor Kim will call up Hyunjin or Chaewon. Battling the two in a duel is something Heejin wants to experience, what with Chaewon having extensive interest in this class and Hyunjin being a natural at casting spells.

 

As it seems, the universe turns a deaf ear to her hopes and Professor Kim calls for the fourth-year Slytherin that Hyunjin held a great fury over.

 

When the boy stands up, there is a sense of evil mirth in his eyes. His smirk is discomforting and everything about him awakens Heejin’s nerves.

 

This boy has it out for her and the half-blood can feel it. Her heart starts racing and her palms start to sweat. With panicked eyes, Heejin looks to the person that can calm her, no matter the situation. Hyunjin’s face is neutral, but, Heejin knows her well enough to sense the concern in her eyes.

 

As Professor Kim briefs the class on the rules, once again, Hyunjin can read the nervousness written all over Heejin’s body. Her shoulders and her stance are rigid, tense with fear. Her eyes are the slightest bit wider and her hands are curled into fists. (Normally, Hyunjin would rub her back and force her fists open for her fingers to lace through them to physically alleviate the stress building in Heejin’s body.) Locking eyes with her, Hyunjin exaggerates her breath, making a show of slow breathing. Without needing words, Heejin begins to mimic her. At the most microscopic level of gestures, Hyunjin makes a face of encouragement towards her.

 

“You can do it. You studied hard for this; I believe in you.”

 

When Professor Kim calls for commencement, facing the Slytherin boy, Heejin steels herself and calls for her courage to flare. Truly, with the soul of a Gryffindor, the girl feels her body’s stance widen and her shoulders square. Looking the boy in his eyes, seeing the disgust in them, Heejin makes a promise to not let this boy win—to prove him wrong, that she isn’t scum or incapable.

 

She is like what Hyunjin says, more than capable and with motivation instilled in her, she will show him.

 

It’s not blood that denotes capability, it’s drive and dedication.

 

Heejin has those two things coursing through her body like the half-blood magic in her veins.

 

Reading him, Heejin formulates a strategy. Knowing his distaste for half-bloods, for Heejin, the girl knows he is set in attacking.

 

“Fumos!”

 

“Petrificus Totalus!”

 

A smoke-screen fumes while a body-binding spell penetrates through it. When the smoke clears, Heejin is not stuck in place with her wand up. Instead, the girl had sidestepped the curse in time for her to escape it. With the time given to her, she recites the first spell

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter