year three

collision
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: everything she does is magic. even if magic isn't involved.

~

During the summer, Heejin receives an envelope from Hogwarts. Opening it, she finds a permission form to visit Hogsmeade. At the recognition of the title, Heejin’s feet excitedly carry her to where her mother dwells in the kitchen talking with her husband. Her mother is gracious in signing the form and reminisces to her family about her past memories there with her friends and all of the weekends where they would spend hours just talking at The Three Broomsticks.

 

Her mother’s stories do little to quell Heejin’s excitement in returning. That night, the girl Facetimes Jinsol, waving the permission form and rattling off on all of the things she would like to do there. The now sixth-year shares Heejin’s excitement with a genuine heart and promises to show her all of the passageways to the village. After waving goodnight to the Ravenclaw and getting ready for bed, Heejin marks an “x” on her calendar and itches to cross another day off.

 

~

 

At last, the day arrives where Heejin parts from her parents and races through Platform ¾. Ever so eager, Heejin only throws a wave goodbye and an air kiss before disappearing through the pillar. Greeted with the animated ads and newspapers and the vibrant red of the train, Heejin feels happiness bubble at her chest. In her search for Chaewon, Yerim, and Hyejoo, the arrival of Haseul almost startles her to death. Shortly after Haseul appears, charming smile and all at the sight of the younger friend, a shorter girl comes rushing through and only barely stops herself from crashing into the Gryffindor Prefect.

 

“Haseul! Why’d you stop?”

 

Haseul is quick to send a sharp glare behind her, daring the girl to not correct herself. Quickly reorganizing her mind, the younger girl clears and changes her tone, “Haseul unnie. Why’d you suddenly stop? I almost ran into you.”

 

Haseul only sends a nod towards Heejin before gesturing towards her, “Yeojin, this is Heejin!”

 

Tilting to the left to get a clearer look ahead of Haseul, Yeojin seems to brighten at the sight of Haseul’s friend. Abandoning her cart and eagerly throwing her hand out, Yeojin smiles and the incredible similarity between the sisters’ smiles throws the girl for a loop.

 

“I’m Yeojin! I finally get to meet all of Haseul unnie’s friends and tell embarrassing stories about her!”

 

Heejin giggles at how Yeojin whisper screams the latter part of her introduction. If it weren’t for the volume of the students conversing and the rolling of carts muting her younger sister, Haseul would have been quick to reprimand her.

 

(Perhaps it’s good that Haseul didn’t hear. Yeojin and her did have a habit of quarreling. Loudly. And almost endlessly.)

 

With Haseul and Yeojin a part of Heejin’s search crew, the three are quick to find Chaewon, Yerim, and Hyejoo waiting for them at the boarding area. After the introductions and the reunion hugs, the students board the train and quickly find Jungeun and Jiwoo settling into their compartment that Jinsol, Sooyoung, and Vivi had already claimed. The one next to them is empty and Heejin figures that Hyunjin is yet to arrive.

 

The way her stomach flips at the thought of seeing her friend again is forgotten when Jiwoo layers herself over Heejin’s back and kisses her cheek. When Heejin, Chaewon, Yerim, Hyejoo, and Yeojin settle into the compartment, Jungeun is leaning on the door of the compartment while Jiwoo makes her rounds on greeting everyone. Generous with her affection, she sits on Heejin’s lap before speaking, “So, how was everyone’s summer?”

 

As Chaewon begins to speak, a yelp sounds from the right and there at the entrance, Jungeun is only barely caught from falling by Hyunjin who had opened the compartment door. Jiwoo laughs and it feels a lot like frolicking in a meadow, minus the prickly grass and buzzing bugs.

 

Jungeun quirks her eyebrow up at Hyunjin, “Ever thought of knocking before entering?”

 

Stabilizing Jungeun and letting go, Hyunjin is quick to retort back, “Ever thought of not leaning on everything possible?”

 

It doesn’t take long for their angry facade to wash into teasing smiles and happy laughter. When Hyunjin takes her seat next to Heejin, Jiwoo places her legs on her lap and without hesitance, Hyunjin accepts the weight and rests her arms on them. Reigning the attention back to Jiwoo’s question, the girls spend the rest of their boarding time talking together.

 

~

 

Lost in the sea of first-years, Haseul, Heejin, and Chaewon attempt to look for Yeojin but struggle to do so. The girl blends into the blur of black and grey and her small stature does little to set her apart. When Yeojin is sat at the stool with the sorting hat on her, Haseul’s hands naturally finds Heejin’s to hold in anticipation for her younger sister. As the sorting hat exclaims, “Slytherin,” Haseul is the loudest one clapping at the Gryffindor table. Watching her sibling find a place between Hyunjin and Hyejoo, Haseul’s heart falls into ease knowing that Yeojin would be okay.

 

(Haseul didn’t really have to worry, what with having friends in all of the houses, but, as the older sister, she couldn’t help but to fret over Yeojin. More than anything, she is relieved to see Yeojin being sorted in the house best for her. Haseul would be embarrassed to admit it to Yeojin, but, she thought it was unfortunate that they would share only two years together before she would have to graduate and leave Hogwarts.

 

Yet, she finds comfort in knowing that Yeojin wouldn’t be alone for most of her duration at Hogwarts. Up to her seventh year, Yeojin would have friends accompanying her and Haseul had no doubt in the girl’s social skills. Yeojin would be more than okay.)

 

~

 

As the first weekend rolls around the corner, Heejin is ecstatic to hear that all of her friends are permitted to go to Hogsmeade (that is, the ones that are allowed to in the first place). Before leaving, Heejin promises to buy Hyejoo something from Gladrags Wizardwear.

 

“I like wearing fun socks. They’re better than boring black ones.”

 

Chaewon, who is playing chess with Yerim, glances at Hyejoo before commanding her rook to move forward two spaces, “The socks scream when they’re smelly.”

 

“What are you trying to imply, Chaewon?”

 

Chaewon only shrugs with her eyebrows lifted. Hyejoo is indignant and demands the older girl’s attention, “Are you trying to say I smell bad?”

 

Chaewon shrugs again and dismissively throws a reply, “I never said you were smelly.”

 

Hyejoo only huffs and pouts at the girl. When she turns away, Chaewon and Yerim send knowing looks to each other and the smiles on their lips are endearing and caring. Before Hyejoo leaves to quidditch practice (the girl had succeeded at the trials and earned herself the beater’s bat, as well as Hyunjin’s enthusiastic congratulations), Chaewon slings her arms around the Slytherin and reminds her to bring water to practice. Hyejoo knows well enough to understand that her jeering is nothing but a tease and sends one of those smiles that Chaewon and Yerim loves behind her as she turns away.

 

Finally at Hogsmeade, the flurries in Heejin’s stomach does little to settle the thumping of her heart. Looking at the grandiose of the village, the quaint buildings, and the busy, yet, warm atmosphere, Heejin subconsciously clings at Hyunjin’s arm. When the Slytherin looks beside her, the sight there is wondrous. With Heejin’s eyes sparking in amazement and her joyous smile on her lips, Hyunjin can’t help but to linger her gaze on the girl grasping at her arm and babbling about the beauty of the village.

 

(Hyunjin thinks Heejin beats Hogsmeade out on this one.)

 

Somewhere along the way, their friends get split up.

 

To the last of Heejin’s recollection, Jinsol, Sooyoung, and Chaewon were at Zonko’s Joke Shop, Haseul and Vivi had left to Honeydukes to get some sweets for Yeojin, while Heejin and Hyunjin had decided to hunker down at The Three Broomsticks after stopping by the Gladrags Wizardwear to get a pair socks for Hyejoo. Deciding to leave the inn to explore more, Heejin finds Jungeun and Jiwoo’s whereabouts.

 

“Oh! That’s where they are!”

 

Hyunjin, who had been surveying the buildings, almost bumps into Heejin, “Who?”

 

“Jungeun and Jiwoo! They walked into that store!”

 

Looking to where Heejin points, Hyunjin pales, “That’s not really a store, Heekie.”

 

Turning around to face Hyunjin, the Gryffindor and her confused eyebrows are enough for Hyunjin to elaborate. “That’s Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop and that’s where couples go to have dates. At least, that’s what my sisters told me.”

 

It takes awhile for Heejin to process the information, “Wait. Couples?”

 

Hyunjin nods.

 

“Dates?”

 

The girl nods again.

 

“What are they doing there?”

 

Hyunjin only stares at Heejin, waits for the oblivion to sink away, “Oh my God, are they on a date?”

 

Breathing out a laugh, Hyunjin slings her arm around Heejin’s shoulder and leans her head on hers.

 

“I don’t think it’d be wrong for us to think so? I hear it’s pretty particular in there. I don’t think people go in there just to go in there.”

 

Heejin’s lips pull into a mischievous smirk. Hyunjin has a feeling about what runs through her friend’s mind, dreads to hear it.

 

Dreading does nothing to prevent the girl, however. Tugging the Slytherin towards the tea shop, Heejin and her sneaky smile says, “Let’s go in!”

 

Whining, but, still moving, Hyunjin tries to persuade the girl, “I did say that people don’t go in there just to go in there!”

 

Heejin marches forward, “We’re going in there with a purpose! To spy!”

 

Just as a determined Hyunjin could get what she wanted, so could a determined Heejin.

 

When the two third-years step into the tea shop, “particular” is one way to describe the ambiance saturating the environment. The ringing of the bell above them falls silent to the couples scattered around. The frilly pink bows, decorated tables, and absolute lack of space is a harsh change from the fresh air outside. The windows were fogged and couples were holding hands or kissing over their cups of tea or coffee. Locating Jungeun and Jiwoo, the latter is b with wonder at the tea shop while the former looks rather overwhelmed. Still, when they find a seat, the two order their drinks and settle into their table. With luck, Heejin is able to find an unoccupied table a decent distance away from the two. Rushing Hyunjin to it, Heejin places herself at the opportune position where she could glance at the two without being noticed by them.

 

Helpless, Hyunjin just sits at the table and wallows in her own misery. She didn’t really want to spend her free time surrounded by loved up couples, but, Hyunjin couldn’t find it in her heart to truly refuse Heejin. (To her left, a couple was kissing, quite loudly, and she wished that she knew a spell that could silence others.) When Heejin’s hand lightly slaps at hers, her eyes gravitate towards the girl’s who is sneakily glancing at the fourth-years.

 

“They’re just talking right now.”

 

A minute later.

 

“They just got their drinks.”

 

Turning her head, Hyunjin would laugh at Jungeun’s obvious discomfort if she weren’t in her same position.

 

“Heejin, can’t we just give them their privacy and leave? Didn’t you want to go to Honeydukes?”

 

“I did! But-”

 

“But, if they wanted to tell us anything, they would have. Let’s give them their time; and let us have ours.”

 

At that, Heejin’s full attention is finally on her friend. With a sigh, the Gryffindor is almost ashamed of her rash decision to intrude on her friends.

 

“You’re right; let’s go.”

 

Right before they slide out of their seats, a worker is at their tables and grinning, “What can I get for this happy couple?”

 

Hyunjin’s cheeks turn scarlet at the title.

 

Couple. With Heejin. It doesn’t sound bad.

 

Heejin seems unaffected but reels at the title too. She is quick to refuse his service and pulls Hyunjin away from the table and escapes the tea shop before their friends could notice them. Coming out of Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop, it felt like the pair could finally breathe.

 

They don’t bring up being called a couple, even if it’s all that they can think about when they approach Honeydukes.



After some hours, the girls all meet at the lampost in the middle of Hogsmeade. (Heejin and Hyunjin are the only ones to notice how Jungeun and Jiwoo unlace their interlocked fingers when they arrive). Returning to Hogwarts, Heejin deems her first Hogsmeade trip a success. With socks in tow with a bag of candy, Heejin feels a great deal of happiness in her heart.

 

~

 

The first quidditch match arrives and it’s Gryffindor against Ravenclaw.

 

Decorated in red and gold, Heejin is a walking poster of encouragement for her house.

 

(Chaewon had insisted that Heejin should make up for her small betrayals cheering for Hyunjin with extra team spirit in matches against the other houses. Unable to refuse her friend and her crooked smile, she allows her to paint streaks of red and gold wherever the girl desired.

 

“You said I could paint you wherever I wanted!”

 

“I said streaks! Not my whole face, Chaewon!”


The black haired girl sighs a defeated breath of air and settles on dotting the mole on Heejin’s cheek gold and the other by her eye red. As well as painting streaks on her jawline. And her neck.

 

Heejin muses that perhaps, she should have limited the area that was okay to paint.

 

Chaewon at her own vices is a chaotic force to handle.

 

Gryffindor’s strengths lie in their tenacity and stamina, but, Ravenclaw’s sense of tact and intuition gives way for a riveting match. The scores are close, but, low. Gryffindor’s keeper is doing well at keeping quaffles at bay, but, Jinsol and Sooyoung are doing an excellent job at sending perfectly timed bludgers to disrupt any play formations Gryffindor starts.

 

Thanks to Hyunjin’s quidditch sessions with Heejin, the girl knows that the future of the game and the majority of the points rely on the seekers and their ability to capture the snitch.

 

After some time, the snitch makes itself apparent and Gryffindor’s seeker is in the perfect position to pursue and catch it, which effectively ends the game with a win for the house of red and gold. After the celebrations, the twelve girls are gathered together. Jinsol, who had just showered, takes to annoying Sooyoung by flicking drops of water from her hair on her. When Sooyoung finally has had enough and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter