Home

Home

Rays of light starts to leak to my half-opened eyes as I stretch my body in the morning. It was a normal weekday and another hours of work away from my home. I try to use the body beside me to cover my eyes, but the empty space  indicates that it’s time for me to get up and find where did my morning medicine went. I get up, fixed our bed and tied my shoulder-length hair as I yawned all my sleepiness away before going down straight to the kitchen.

 

There she is, my morning medicine.

 

“Good morning Minari~” I said as I hugged her from the back while touching her belly.

She really loves waking herself up very early to cook even though I told her a million times that she should rest and I can manage to. But who I am to stop what she loves? In fact, she told me that she wanted baby to be a great cook someday so she teaches our baby inside her stomach hahahaha. 

 

She stop whatever she was doing and turn her body to face me. I kneeled in front of her first as I kiss her tummy. “And good morning to you too angel.” I smiled and stood up.

 

“Morning tiger.” I trail her moles with my kisses as she smiles from ear to ear with her pinkish cheeks and closed eyes.

 

Beautiful indeed. 

 

I have no idea what I did in my past life to deserve this sight every morning.

 

“How can you be this beautiful in the morning? Tell me your secret, I won’t tell I promise.” I while jokingly zipping my mouth. She throw her head in my shoulder as she laughs in my corny lines. 

 

God, music to my ears.

 

“How can you be this cheesy early in the morning Son Chaeyoung?”

 

“I don’t know!! maybe the perks of living with this angel?” She giggles and lightly pushes me and turn her body to the oven again.

 

“Suit yourself baby, I cooked some baked eggs in spinach and tomatoes.” She prepares the table for the both of us, poured some milk in our glasses and sit in the chair in front of me.

 

Its been 4 months since I saw bacon or any fatty foods in our table. I miss that though. Its been 4 months since my wife starts to control everything I eat inside or outside our home. And I can’t blame her. I can’t really blame her because I’ll do the same.

 

It was New Year’s eve. The night when I thought that the only news I will hear was Mina’s pregnancy, but life surprises us more than what we hoped for.

 

The Myoui and Son’s family was all reunited in our rest house in Changwon. We exchanged gifts and and tell stories to each other like its been centuries since we last all met. I was beside Mina the whole night since she announced that we are having a baby. They all congratulated us for the success because it took us third tries before it showed positive result. I also had a drink together with Mina’s cousin, Momo and Sana. They are the sweetest person I’ve ever known. No doubt that they are Mina’s cousin, but the loudness of their voices compared to Mina confuses me sometimes hahaha. I knew these dorks since our high school days because we all went to the same university where my Minari and I met. Thanks to their unstoppable teases, I already have the love of my life. 

 

I introduced the two of them to my cousins Dahyun and Tzuyu. These two are like my sisters. Even though we don’t see each other a lot these days because we took different paths since we graduated, they still never failed to catch up with me. Dahyun was now living in Seoul to pursue her career in songwriting. She was the go lucky girl between the three of us, but she still managed to have a stable job that keeps her big apartment in the city. Tzuyu is now a known model. Yep, she’s quiet famous in both South Korea and Taiwan. Her mother was the one who pushed her to do modeling career because she saw potential in her daughter. Luckily, Tzuyu obeyed her and told us that it was the best thing she ever did in her life.  

 

In the other hand, I now fulfilled my dreams of becoming a stage director. I was just an aspiring theater artist before I try to took risk of building my own company and  It was really not that easy. It took me a lot of hardships before I made where I am today. Mina also owned her own dance studio now where she teaches ballet. Momo and Sana was part of her success as they build their group together after we graduated.

 

We were all having the night of our lives waiting for the countdown while watching Dahyun danced to the song coming through the speakers. Sometimes I asked myself where did all of her energy came from because she never seems to catch her breath with all these dancing. She tried to pull my arms in the middle of the backyard after a moment.

 

“Come on Chaeng! Did Mina made you all rusty and weak in your sleepless nights together?”  They all laughed to Dahyun’s statement. This nut. 

 

She will never let me not humiliate myself  in front of everyone. 

 

Even though I’m a bit off myself already because of all the alcohol in my system, I still dance with all my heart in Twice’s Cheer up song. I put my hands in the air while singing until the four of them joined me together with Mina. 

 

I was indeed the happiest.

 

We were all waiting for the countdown outside looking at the beautiful fireworks in the night sky when I felt like I needed a glass of water. Maybe because I drank to much and I need to refresh myself a little.  I told Mina that I’ll just be in the kitchen for a bit and kissed her lips before I left.

 

I opened the fridge shakily as I felt like my mind and head was spinning. I don’t know what’s happening to myself, but all I think about was getting myself some water and I’ll be okay. I hope. 

 

I managed to get a container and a glass, but my aching chest failed me to held the both of them. It slipped through my hands and the sound of breaking of glass and fireworks was the last thing I heard.

 

I woke up 5 days later and the first thing I saw was Mina sleeping by my side. 

She explained to me everything and honestly, I can’t processed all the things that was happening. All I know was I was already diagnosed with Atherosclerosis and I was in critical stage.

 

It is some kind of heart disease that usually targets elders, but surprise here I am. The doctors told me that this can be hereditary since my grandmother was diagnosed with the same disease. It causes me to have a momentarily mild to intense chest pains, fatigues, muscle weakness and a lot of more. The supposed to be the time of me to take care of my wife because of her pregnancy was switched and I was confined in the hospital for almost a month. 

 

I thought I was gonna die in an early age that time, but having Mina by my side and the blessing that she‘s carrying gave me hope for continuing fighting for my life.

 

~~~ 

 

“Yah Chaeyoung-ahh stop staring! Finish your food already, so you can take your medicine!”

I snapped out of my thoughts and smiled to her. What will I do without you Minari?

 

“Aren’t you enough to be my medicine?”

I blink my eyes multiple times while showing my cute dimples. These dimples are my power to her hahaha. Please please work! I really hate the taste of my new prescribed meds. 

 

“Shhhhh you will drink your meds or you will sleep in the couch?”

 

Oops.

 

“That’s really unfair!” I pout my lips really hard to try again one more time.

 

“CHAEYOUNG-AHHH” omygad she screamed.

When Minari screams, Chaeyoungie shuts.

 

“Aye aye” I finally gave up because there is no way she will let me stand up on this chair without seeing me gulping every last piece of my medicines.

 

After that, I volunteered in cleaning the dishes and came back to our bedroom to get ready for work.

 

I showered and fixed myself in the mirror as I saw Mina entering the room smiling at me. I turn to her and welcome her in my arms.

 

“Why the smile pingu?”

 

She steps closer by closer and snakes her arms around my neck while I embrace her by the waist. Her eyes are so beautiful to the point that it can speaks to what is she feeling inside. Her emotions are all written deep inside those eyes and I knew it even without her saying.

 

She hugs me tightly like this is the last hug that she will ever give to me and buried her face into my neck before she stared in my eyes again.

 

“Please take care today okay?”

 

Her voice is full of worries and sadness that surely makes my heart breaks everytime I saw her like this. I stuck her hair behind her ears before pecking her lips and tell her the words she need to hear before I go.

 

I will baby. I will go home to you.” I kiss her softly in hoping my lips will make all her worries away.

 

“3pm is it?” I smiled whole-heartedly.

 

“Yes baby. I’m excited to know whether we will having a prince or a princess hehe. Don’t be late okay? ” The sadness was replaced with excitement and thrill after I remind her about our appointment to her doctor.

 

“Promise.” 

 

She accompanied me until I was already in front of my car. I kissed her one last time before hoping in inside. I saw her waved her hands to me before I drove away.

 

~~~~~

 

 

Hours passed by very slowly that day. It was 12 o’clock in the dot when I decided to take some break before fetching Mina in our house. Our group was rehearsing for the celebration of Buddha’s birthday as we are assigned to performin a festival. We were all preparing and taking extra time for this for almost two months as we want to show a spectacular performance this coming weekend. 

 

“Chaeyoung-ah! We’re done decorating the stage. Maybe a couple of polishing tomorrow and this will all be perfect.”  Jeongyeon unnie taps me on the back. 

 

“Thank you bro, It’s really impossible for me to do this without your help.” I smiled to her as I push her a little. Jeongyeon here is one of the most responsible person I know besides to Jihyo. They work for me since the very beginning of this that’s why I treat them like a sister already. I am very lucky to have people like them around.

 

“Are you being cheesy to me? Stop that Chaeng I already have Nayeon” She makes a disgusting face to me as I just roll my eyes to her and punch her arm.

 

“Hahahaha don’t you need to take Mina to the doctor today?” Jeongyeon asked.

 

“Yep, I was just taking a rest. I feel like I over used my body today.” I sighed while leaning myself more in my seat and closed my eyes.

 

“Yah!! Mina told me to not let you tired out like this. She will kill me if she’s here right now. You know, she can be a little scary when it comes to you.” She said.

 

“You can go home now Chaeng. Don’t worry we will lock this place for you.” She taps me in my shoulder as I stand up.

 

“Thank you Unnie. I’ll just stop by in my office and I’ll be on my way.” Jeongyeon nods and I continue to walk to the other room where my office is located. 

 

I sat in the chair in front of my table while reading some of the paper works. It’s been really hell of a week of rehearsing and I badly need to take a long nap later because this body is killing me. It’s almost 12:30 in the afternoon and I think I still got time to take a rest here because it will just take me a 10 minutes drive before arriving home. I fixed  the papers and cleared the desk in front of me as I let myself drown in my sleepiness.

 

~~~~~~~  

 

I open my eyes and slowly adjusts them in the lights of my office. I groaned a little as I felt like a little better than earlier. 

I decided to look for my phone.

 

*2:55pm*

 

*35 missed calls* - Minari 🖤

*51 messages* - Minari 🖤

*1 incoming call* - Minari 🖤

 

“Oh !”

 

I almost trip in my chair and hit my knee in the side of the table when I saw the notifications in mg phone. Why did I overslept?!! She’s gonna kill me for sure oh my Gd! 

 

I did not bother to use the elevator as I know it will took me less time when I use the stairs. I feel like I am flying due to the pace of my running and I don’t mind as long as I get home easily. I try to contact Mina while driving, but she’s not answering any of my calls. There is one registered answered call and I think I accidentally answered it earlier while sleeping.

 

“Fck fck! She’s really gonna kill me.” My heart was beating so fast because I know how important this day to her and I am not by her side now haistt. I don’t know how many red lights I passed just to come home to my Minari. I know she will be mad at me, but I think I’ll just took a day off tomorrow if we do not make it on time today.

 

Once I reach our driveway, I hurriedly locked my car and went straight to our door.

 

“MINARI” I searched for her in  the living room and the kitchen and found nothing.

 

I went up to the second floor to scan our bedroom hoping she is asleep for all the waiting she made.

I knock before I opened the door and  still, nothing.

 

“Minari honey?”  Where is she?

 

I look at my phone *3:00*

 

Wow! It really just took me 5 minutes to get here hahaha. I am not late , so I think I can defend myself to her later when she got home. But still, I missed her calls and made her worried and I know I have a lot of explaining and pleading to do in able for me to not sleep in the couch.

 

I sent her messages and called her a million times before I decided to lay down in our bed to take a rest for all the running I made. Maybe she is on her way now that’s why she cannot pick up. Maybe. 

 

I opened my messages and woahhh her hormones really kicked in because she’s really angry in these texts. 

 

I read everything she sent me from the beginning until the very last. I scroll and swipes every angry messages from her and laugh nervously. I know she cannot be this angry to me when I kiss her on her nose later hehehe. When I am about to open the last message I heard the front door open and I run downstairs to welcome my angry wife.

 

“Minari.” I called her name. She was facing the door and slowly locks it with her head down.

She did not seem to notice me that’s why I called  her name again and try to step a little closer.

 

“Mina, I’m very sorr—“ I was cut off when I saw her shoulders shaking. Is she crying? Did I really angered her this time? She kneel down placing her phone to the floor while burying her face in her palms. She’s crying.

 

“Baby what happened? Don’t cry please I’m here Minari shhhh.” I try to embrace her from the back and puts my phone to the floor too while I tap her shoulder lightly to face me. I hate seeing her like this. It makes my heart and whole body aches just by the sight of her in this state.

 

“Chaeyoungie” She said between her sobs while slowly facing her body to me still kneeling to the ground.

 

“Yes Minari? I’m here, you can tell me what’s wrong if you’re ready okay baby?” I continue to hug her and rubs her shoulder. Something might happened while she was away. I badly want to know what puts her in this state, but that can wait later.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah *sobs* I’m sorry baby, I’m sorry”

She cries harder this time and I don’t really know what to do. This is my first time seeing her like this   and It makes me cry too in front of her. I can’t stop my tears and I hate myself for crying because I should be the tough one in times like this.

 

“Shh it’s okay.. “ I rub her back now and simply wipes the tears coming from her eyes. Her eyes are now really puffy and red that seems likes she’s been crying since earlier. She can’t look straight in my eyes and just continue to cry while facing the ground until I saw her phone lights.

 

*Jeongyeon*

 

I try to remove my eyes from her phone and focus into Minari,

 

but why would Jeongyeon text her?

My guts tell me to open and read the message   that Jeongyeon sent. I slowly reach for her phone while I am still hugging her in my other arm.

 

Jeongyeon

 

I hope you got home safe Mina and try get some rest before you come back here in the hospital.

 

I’m very sorry for your lost.

 

____

 

I curved my eyebrows to what I had just read.

What is she talking about? What lost?

 

I heard Mina sobs again softly between my arms. 

 

“I love you Chaeyoung-ah....”

“Please don’t do this to me...“

“Come home now baby...”

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE END 

Thank you for reading everyone! Hope you enjoy until the very end hehehehehe leave some comments below and I’ll post an epilogue if you want 😉