Chapter 02: Upside Down

The Prodigy

               A brief description about me. I am Lee Seonghwa, I am a Korean who grew up in the States. I am turning 15 years old in just two short days. My parents are powerful Wizards of the Jasper Institute of Magic. And when I reach age of 15, I will be enrolling into Jasper Institute of Magic which makes me very happy. I got the nick name Gray from my friends just because I like anything that goes with the color gray. Simple and weird? Yeah, yeah it is.

               I was just an ordinary teenage boy when one night turned my whole world upside down. A strange old man came to me in my dreams and gave me a weird story. He told me that I am the boy he's been waiting for all these years. That statement alone got things stirred in the wrong direction. My life, as I know it, changed since then. However, it didn't stop there when two strange teenagers visited my house, a girl and a boy. They claimed to have experienced the same weird dream, but theirs was three nights before mine. And the last thing they said, threw me off guard.

               "We will be your mentors until you turn 20 years old," the male stranger said as a matter of factly to me.

               "What?" that was all the response I could muster due to the sheer shock therapy I received.

               If you think that was it. You're wrong. I have to leave the country immediately before my birthday. And if I refuse to do so, I will endanger everyone I know. My whole life plans canceled in one day. I was supposed to enroll in Jasper Institute of Magic, the 2nd most popular magic school in the World, on my birthday. I have my parents to thank for that enrollment. They were alumni of the school. So I got in easy through their recommendations. And with the impressive stats of my magical growth in wizardry, I am more than qualified. I have my whole life planned out until these things start to happen. This life is truly and irrevocably unfair. 

               One last thing to top that morning off, my parents had the dream too. They are more than willing to let me go with these strange teenagers. I, on the other hand, is more than shocked by this revelation. My parents were silent the whole time these teenagers were talking. I expected them to fight these strangers away and I can live up to my dream. I was wrong. My parents confessed that they had the same premonition as I did, a week prior. In hearing so, I lost it.

               "You had the dream?" I can't believe they won't even tell me about this, "Why didn't you tell me?"

               "We weren't sure of what we saw that time," Mom replied as she looks at me, "Dreams like those can be tricky and dangerous."

               "But I am your son!" I seriously lost it this time, "That dream was concerning me, mom."

               "That's enough Seonghwa," Dad stood up, "Please sit back down, and let us explain."

               After letting out a long sigh, I sat down to hear what my Dad has to say, "Dreams like those are no joke and very powerful. Just by the mere mention of it, could trigger the dream to come into a reality."

               "We don't want to put you in harm's way, so we chose to keep it quiet," Mom looked at me with those glassy eyes as she talks, "In hopes that this will pass, but it didn't."

               The stranger girl finally decides to speak, "Now it's set into motion. We have to move now before it's too late."

               "No way!" I am not gonna lose this argument, "And no one is gonna make me."

               Life is annoyingly unfair. My whole speech about 'no one is gonna make me!' ended right there and then. Everything happened so fast that I can't register what just transpired. Now I can't move my body, and I can't speak a single word. To put it roughly, I'm under a spell. I am powerless to do anything else because their spells are at least B level based while I barely learned a C level-based spell. All I can do was just squirm and gave out muffled screams to no avail.  

               “You have to do this or you will die, Seonghwa,” Mom caressed my head while looking at me straight in the eyes, “We love you.” With that she left a kiss on my forehead and moved aside for Dad to talk to me.

               “No one wants this, trust me,” Dad puts his hand on my head, “You will understand soon enough.” I don’t know how to take that from two of the most important people in my life. Mad? Definitely? Confused? Even more so. But what can I do? Nothing but squirming and giving out muffled screams of disapproval.

               A gentle hand finds its way on top my head. I quickly turned my face towards the person who just laid a hand on me. The girl. Before I could protest, my whole body lost consciousness and I out.

               All I know that happened after was waking up in a car going at an unusual fast speed. Half conscious from my previous slumber, out the window was nothing but blur and lights. “Why are we going so fast?” I just had to ask cause it’s actually starting to get scary.

               “We’re running from them!” The male who I met earlier at home sits at the driving seat while shouting back at me.

               I looked behind us to find a Red Humvee chasing us at the same crazy speed. “Wait, what car are we in?” My brain is still trying to process what’s going on that all I can come up with was that idiot of a question.

               “A Black Cadillac,” the female said calmly as she looks ahead as if nothing is actually happening behind.

               “What do they want?” I lunged forward between the front seats then realized something. I’m not restrained anymore and I can talk freely.

               “They want you,” the female looked right at me, “They’ve been following us since yesterday, but I’ve only managed to notice them today.”

               “Why me?” this day keeps getting weirder and weirder.

               “For the very same reason why we want you,” the female once again replied while keeping the serious look on her face, “Your very existence is a key to something World changing, but they want that existence for destruction.”

               “Am I weapon or something?” now this predicament is starting to scare me a bit.

               “You are the only one who can wield the weapon,” this time the male replies as he swerves a corner, a very tight corner, “If they have you, it’s over for all of us.”

               “Now that’s all you need to know,” he pushed me back against the seat, “Just sit there, don’t make a sound, and we will do the rest or I will bind and shut you up again.”

               Well she says it that way, I have no means to argue anymore because I literally don’t want that to happen again. So I just sit back and shut my mouth while waiting for them to do, whatever it is they’re doing.

               What comes next took me by surprise. The girl who told me to sit, stuck her left arm and head out the window. Within seconds the car behind us flew backwards as if it nothing but a piece of paper blown by the wind. Then out of nowhere a portal opened and swallowed the car mid-flight. Just as fast as it appears, the portal closes and is no more. But it didn’t end there, never did. I looked outside and there were buildings everywhere, yet in a split second all I see next was plain white with no more buildings whatsoever in sight.

               “Wait, where did the buildings go?” Again, my mind processed too slow that another stupid question came out.

               “The correct question is where did WE go?” the girls turns her head to look at me at the back, “We’re in the Antarctica.”

               “Antarctica?!” this has got to be a joke because I heard no enchantments at all coming from either of them, “Just exactly who are you people?”

               These two teenagers are no ordinary Wizards. First of all, the guy was able to drive without getting pulled over for underage driving. Second, the girl completed two powerful spells barely in a second. Third, we are teleported to the other side of the world in seconds. Fourth, the most bizarre truth above all, they did all those without uttering any enchantments or spells which also they did back at home. As far as I know only A Grade Wizards can pull those spells out like my parents who are actually Grand A Classes. There is no way they are that strong in Magic, they are not far from my age.

               “My name is Jaebum, but you call me Jay for short,” his driving starts to slow down and moves at a steady pace, “Grade S Wizard.”

               “My name is Nancy, and I am also a Grade S Wizard,” my mouth just hung wide open after hearing both their answers.

               “Wait wait, that’s not possible,” this is crazy beyond comprehension, “Only the headmasters’ elite squad are on that rank. Are you telling me, this young, you’re both already in the headmaster’s elite squad?”

               “Well not exactly,” Jay’s drive turns into a stop when he finally turns to look at me, “We’re not exactly young.”

               “What do you mean?” A totally confused face is plastered on my face.

               “Jay is 700 years old, and I’m 650 years old,” Nancy says it so simply as it if was just another day to day statement like ‘Good Morning’.

               “How is that possible?” I asked again because this is not making sense at all which I hate a lot.

               “We will explain later,” Nancy smiles and gestures to an open plain, “We need to get inside before the snowstorm hits in 5 minutes.”

 

               As if on cue, out of nowhere, the image of the open plain shifted to reveal a huge mansion in the arctic. An all-white painted Mansion with six identical pillars supporting the front porch’s top. On each sides of the mansion are two similar domed buildings, and from left to the right of the mansion are windows upon windows. One thing caught my attention though, the dead tree that decorates it’s front lawn.

 

 

               “We are to begin your training as soon as possible,” Jay speaks out as I follow them towards the mansion and leaving the car.

               “Wait what about the….” My question was short-lived when Nancy waved her hand and the vehicle disappeared into thin air, “Nevermind.”

               My jaw dropped in awe after entering the mansion because of how amazing it is inside. What I saw inside was definitely exceeding my expectation. The outside of the Mansion is nothing compared to what’s inside. As far as my eyes could see, corridors stretched long and wide. It felt like it’s straight out of a storybook. So grand and so lavish are the inner designs of the house.

               “I’m sure your mouth knows its manners too, right?” That’s when I realized my mouth hasn’t closed yet since the moment, I entered the Mansion, “Once you’re done, we need to go to the dining room, everyone’s waiting for you.”

               “Wait, everyone?” I asked yet again after closing my mouth, “Who are they?”

               “You’ll see soon enough,” Nancy says so as she and Jay walks on ahead with me following close behind.

               This particular part of the hallway looks different from the other one. Instead of paintings from famous artists like Donatello, Da Vinci and etc, this area is lined up with the pictures of all the 7 Legendary Masters of Magic. As I notice, they are lined up from the 7th Master to the Strongest one. The strongest Magician that has ever lived, the 1st Master.

               “I’m curious as to how much you know them,” Jay suddenly stops in his track which caused a confused look on Nancy’s face.

               Not meaning to brag but I’ve known my history since I was 7 years old. These 7 beings are my heroes and my role models. “The 7th Master is Choi Siwon with the ability of Ice Magic and his trusted Familiar, The Frost Bear, Lunox. The 6th Master is Gemma Arterton with the ability to control the Magic of Lightning and Thunder and her trusted familiar, The Tempest Unicorn, Hylor. The 5th Master is Alexandra Daddario with the ability to control the Magic of Metal Manipulation with her trusted familiar, The Iron Bison, Donox. The 4th Master is Kim Jisoo with ability to control the Magic of Wind with her trusted familiar, The Storm Eagle, Herion. The 3rd Master is Lee Geuroo with ability to control the Magic of Water and the rumour has is that she has the ability to even control the Oceans of the World which is 70% of the Earth itself, and by her side it her familiar The Sea Serpent, Rhyloth. The 2nd Master is called Park Jaebum who has the ability to control the Magic of Earth and another rumour about him is that when he is angry, the whole world experienced almost a catastrophic earth quake, and by his side is his familiar, The Earth Dragon, Roxor. The last but not least, the Strongest Wizard ever known to man that even the previous six cannot come close to, Kim Soohyun with the ability to Control any form of Fire Magic and unique Destructive Element of Oblivion. It is said that if he wants to, he can destroy the world in fire or into a blackhole. By his side are also two of the most powerful Familiars ever known to man, Rhydys the Flaming Lion and the Dark Dragon Zeidor.”

               “You do know your history,” Jay clapped his hand and smiled. Then it just got to me when I see both his face and Nancy’s.

               “It can’t be,” in sheer shock all I could do was look at them, “You both are….”

               “Took you long enough to notice who we really are,” Nancy chuckled gently as she looked at me.

               “Why do you both look so young?” I stepped closer to examine them closely.

               “People will be in total frenzy if they noticed us ancients are still up and about,” Jay explained as his eyes examined the older version of himself in the picture.

               “So we chose to look younger in which not many people recognize other than the people in our own time,” Nancy explained briefly and might I have to say that her younger version is so very pretty, “And we need to get going.”

               Nancy immediately turned around and walked on towards two big brown doors with Jay right behind her followed by me. My heart is still beating out of sync with this predicament right in front me, it is crazy and wild. I am in the presence of two very powerful Wizards in History who don’t look much older than me. Then another realization hits me like a tidal wave, but could this be true?

               Without hesitation, Nancy opened the big brown doors to reveal a huge domed dining room. Decorated with glassy chandeliers that gleam with such beauty. The room is covered with flawless white paint and 7 huge pillars supporting the dome. The dome however was painted sky blue with 7 stars illuminating the decoration at the middle.

               “I thought he’d be taller,” I heard a different female voice aside from Nancy’s then I froze from looking at the ceiling.

               “Well if Soohyun chooses him then I’m all for it,” says a different male voice chimed in.

               “It would be nice if you can introduce yourself to us,” another female voice joined in.

               I averted my eyes to see 4 teenagers with their eyes glued on me. All I can in return was stare back with another jaw dropping incident. Before are the complete 6 of 7 Masters, the strongest group Wizards the world has ever in. I’m actually in the same room as they are. I almost couldn’t recognize them like the other two, Jay and Nancy, but when I did, it is crazy.

               “Yo…Yo…You’re all.. them…” Of course I would stutter seeing my idols all in one room, “I….I’m Lee Seonghwa….b..but.. You… can call me…. Gray.”

               “Welcome to our halls,” Gemma, the girl who reminded me to introduce myself, welcomed me, “Gray, and please take your seat.” She gestured a seat at the head of the dining table.

               “We will make this brief,” Jay sits himself on my right while Nancy on my left.

               All the 6 Masters are seated on their seats around an oval shaped table made of smooth Marble. I soon realized that the seat I am taking should possibly belong to their leader. My whole body quakes of nervousness, but I assumed what Jay will say next will not make me feel any less nervous. Perhaps even worse.

               “Your birthday is in two days,” Nancy looks at me with those really beautiful eyes, “And when you turn 15, our count down starts.”

               “What countdown?” I looked at her and asked, obviously.

               “The Dark Entity or as we call him by his name, Zaamon,” Gemma explained in turn after Nancy, “Will be free of his prison.”

               “And we have to be ready when that comes because when he comes back, things will be a lot worse,” Siwon, the 7th Master, speaks.

               “So to sum this all out, kid,” Jay speaks this time, “From your birthday to the next 5 years, we will be your teachers.”

               “Yeah.. Sure..” the next thing I knew was blacking out yet again in front of my idols.