Chapter 1

In the Event of a Flashback
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There's this girl.

Correction. There was a girl. 

Eunbi had lived in the same apartment building as Kang Hyewon ever since she transferred in her middle school during her last year. Eunbi was two years older than her but she saw Hyewon around school and the neighbourhood enough to make her think.

'Should I talk to her?'

She never did approach her. It never seemed like the right moment.

But then Eunbi moves out to attend college and she never sees her again. Until she does. In her elective business class. In her seat. Back then, she thought it was a sign.

"Did you speak to her?" Her date asked, a girl Chaewon set her up with. It was a last minute thing when Chaewon notices Eunbi's normal (single and dull) life, then decides to meddle in it.

"No. I sat somewhere else. We never talked for the whole semester." Sakura eyes widen, her lips twitching as she tries to hold her laughter in. "Shut up," Eunbi huffs, ignoring her blind date's sarcastic 'I haven't even said anything'. She crosses her arms and glares at the woman sitting on the other side of the table. "I don't want to hear this from a person who couldn't even have the decency to dress appropriately for a blind date." 

The Japanese girl winced, adjusting her glasses. "Sorry. I wasn't paying attention to the time. Work tends to get the best of me." She admits.

Eunbi sighs. "It's fine."

"So, Kang Hyewon. What happened?"

"I met her one more time a month after my graduation. At a bus stop," She sips her coffee, closing her eyes to remember the scene.

It had been raining that day and Kang Hyewon was standing there, soaked to the bone. And for the first time since she saw her. She approached her first.

Eunbi wished she approached her sooner.

"Never saw her after that."

"Huh. Sorry. That must have . Not seeing her again."

"Unrequited love tends to end that way."

Sakura humms. "Maybe. Or maybe you just didn't take a fall and hoped for the best."

"What? Are you a love doctor now?" Eunbi snorts. Regret was a common feeling, everyone has felt regret. And Kang Hyewon just so happens to be one of Eunbi's. Would she have done something different? Sure. But that time had passed. Only regret remained.

"I know a thing or two about love," Sakura brags, smirking. "Don't think it's only you with a failed first love Kwon. I had one too."

"Why do you sound so proud about it?"

"Do I?" Eunbi rolls her eyes, smile on her lips. "Well, not much of a tale like yours though, I'll admit. I loved her and she loved me back, we were happy for a while. But then things happened and I left."

The shorter woman frowned. "You left?" Sakura sighed. Leaning back on her chair. "Just like that?" Her blind date nods.

"Just like that."

They don't talk about their previous relationships after that. They make small talk, about work, weather, hobbies and Sakura snarks on her. Eunbi doesn't know about romance but she thinks she's made a friend at the very least.

They say goodbye after exchanging contacts.

//////////////////

"I know you," Is the first thing Kang Hyewon says to her when she sees her. "You were my neighbour."

"Back in high school, yeah. Not anymore though." Eunbi smiles, secretly happy at being remembered. Kang Hyewon is in a raincoat, still managing to look beautiful even when it's freezing out and the wind blowing in their faces. "Where are you going?"

"Uni," Kang Hyewon mumbles, eyes narrowed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter