The Encounter

The Parent Trap

It was as if the pain was blinding her completely, and all Hee Young could feel was the warm liquid trickling down her cheek, and a striking pain in her body and head. She tried to open her eyes, however, the images around her looked blurry. Strangely enough, she could slightly recognize the faces of the people above her, but she could only hear a piercing white noise ringing through her ears. The voices around her were muffled, but she could hear the words clearly.

"Hee Young-ah! Hee Young-ah!"

"Does your head hurt?"

"Does your neck hurt?"

She shook her head weakly, and all she could do was close her eyes from the pain shooting in her body, before she felt a pair of arms trying to assist her as she braced herself for what’s next.

__ 

Sometimes, Ji Chang Wook wonders why he skipped on reading the horoscope on the papers every morning, because now, he's immensely regretting it.

He was fine fifteen minutes ago. In the bustling district of Gangnam-gu, in the quaint, red-bricked building of his agency, he was just in a dilemma as he held the final script for his next project in his hand after weeks of careful deliberation. The white walls of the small conference room, aside from his boss and manager, witnessed his careful consideration, and the frosted glass ensured that the secret would be kept within this room as long as they could last it. Truth be told, he was a busy man, going through his Asian tour for his fanmeetings and the rehearsals for it as well, multiple CF offers and variety show guestings that offered a bit of comic relief to his stressful life. But now, it's like he just wants to grab the nearest pillow somewhere and take a good nap, or just sulk away his woes with a bowl of hot soup.

"Well, we still have one more meeting with the production team regarding the terms and conditions of your contract for the next project," CEO Choi Jung Hyo leaned back in his seat. "Until then, I really have to ask you one last time: are you sure you want this project?"

Chang Wook nodded. "I'm firm about my decision."

"There's a lot riding in this. We have a PD and a writer that consistently produced Baeksang-winning projects, a high budget, and rumoured senior actors. Are you aware that you have to step up from your last project?"

"I'm aware."

"And you're also aware that this project is completely out of your comfort zone? That this has more terms and procedures that require actual professionals to understand? You'll be roasted if you screw it up."

"I am, daepyo-nim."

He quirked an eyebrow towards Manager Bang Chi Gu, before turning to him. "How are you going to prepare for this one, though? You only have less than three months to prepare until they start filming, and the writer is pretty strict on details. She even called me up if you had any updates on how are you going to prepare yourself." 

"I've been doing my research and inquiring for civilian volunteer programs that fit my schedule." He traced the backbone of his script as he spoke. "I'll just pick which one fits my schedule best. Actually, I’m about to ask somewhere after this meeting.”

"Impressive," he raised an eyebrow. "You're gonna learn all of that by walking around all day?"

"I'll be assisting them as well, and I'll get to ask questions about different jargons to understand the role better, as far as I'm concerned."

His boss turned to his manager, a deadset expression in his eyes. "I hope the statement is ready to publish sometime soon. We just need one last meeting with the production team to settle any creases in the contract and we'll be good to go. Understood?"

The manager nodded, and he turned to Chang Wook just in time as he stood up and bowed in response towards him. "Repay me with hard work."

"I will, daepyo-nim."

As they stepped out of the office, they wasted no time as they made their way to the company garage, his sandals slapping along the tiled floors. 

"I also forgot to mention," Manager Bang added, twirling the keys in his index finger. "We already handled the recent dating rumour that's been going around, statement and all. Man, you really have to be too good to have news sites flying around on you all the time."

Chang Wook shook his head at him. "I'm just doing my job though, but thank you for what you did."

"It's my job to do that, but you're welcome." He chuckled. "Also, you have a few events coming up, and a photoshoot in Okinawa in the next few days. Tickets and accomodations are settled. You'll be wearing an ensemble sponsored by Givenchy when you arrive at the airport..."

Manager Bang's voice seemed to wane as he internalized some of the things he said. It had been like this for a while now: photoshoot, event, CF, drama, and repeat. As much as he's thankful for the amount of work and support that's been coming from different sides of the industry and from the fans as well, he feels as if his gears are getting a little too hot or rusted even. He was like a machine stuck on auto-pilot at this point, and there would be days where he would just rather stay at home and not leave or move an inch from his bed. He was getting a bit exhausted with the lack of sleep and the amount of work he puts in, and then, he lets his mind wander over the thought of having a break, just him and some peace and solitude, as well as some time to think. He pictured himself riding on his bike, the crisp wind blowing past his face as he cruised along the highway, the sound of the engine, the rustling trees, and the waves crashing on the rocks by the shore. There's another image playing in his mind, though: warm arms s around his waist, a soft chin placed by the curve of his shoulder, a gentle, childlike laugh ringing in his ear as he rides by the road. His heart soars, and then sinks at the thought of it. Besides, it's been eight years since he had a break as serene as the one in his mind. He can't help but think that it will just be another memory that will play over and over in his brain, far from the possibility of being turned into reality once more. But there was this ache inside him that wanted it back, that feeling where he could care less if anyone saw him in that state, that feeling of having someone's arms wrapped around his body not for lust, but for happiness, for love. He wanted that back, he wanted to be happy like that once more.

But alas, time and chances weren't on his side. It felt as if it was a blur though when it happened, until he couldn't contact her number, until he found her space vacated and for lease, until there wasn't any trace of her in his life anymore but the memory his skin kept, that sensation he's familiar with whenever he thinks of that time. If he would be honest though, if there was any chance that he'll ever get to have that moment again, he'll do whatever it takes to keep it with him for as long as he lives. 

Well, that is if time lets him.

"Ya! Wook-ah! Are you still with me?" Manager Bang slapped his shoulder, pulling him out of his funk. He nodded frantically in response, before sighing and getting inside his black van, strapping himself in alongside his manager.

"Are you alright?" He asked as he turned the keys, starting the ignition.

"I am." He sighed. 

"One of those days again, huh?" The van slowly eased it's way out of the driveway as they made their way out of the alley. Chang Wook could only nod at him.

"I can tell the fatigue is catching up with you. What do you say we get fancy after we inquire? Heard there's a good Japanese restaurant a couple of blocks away."

Chang Wook is silent, nodding once more as he looked outside his window instead.

"SHI—"

Manager Bang didn't even finish his expletive when the tires screeched as something came out of the corner just as they were about to turn. The men in the van suddenly topple forward, and the adrenaline rush kicked in as they watched someone quickly fall over on the ground, noticing the small bump the van did just as the person fell.

No, it wasn't just a person. It was a kid. 

Which makes this situation ten times worse than it already is. 

Chang Wook and Bang Chi Gu panicked as they rushed out of the van, and as Chi Gu checked for any signs of a bump or scratch on the car, Chang Wook came over to check over the young girl doubled over on the ground, looking for any signs of bruises or blood coming out of her body. The worry sinks in further when the thought of the kid having a concussion popped in his mind. And if this is any worse, the moment the media gets a piece of this story, the public would have his head.

No, the parents of this kid would have his head first. He knows they will be ruthless once they knew. 

Now, as he gazed at the little girl laying down on the sidewalk, he feels dizzy by the thought of a lawsuit in his hands, but there were more things that needed more care as of the moment, and he wasted no time to try and hold her head in the position she was in, but the young girl was groaning and sobbing from the pain.

"Are you okay?" He asked, checking her body for any signs of trauma, and unfortunately, when the kid turned her head towards him, there was a cut on her forehead that ran from her temple until her ear, the red liquid trickling from his head down to the ground. He also noticed the spots of blood on the hem of her socks as the scratches from her knees bled. And for the first time, the young girl squinted up at him, and she stared at him with an open mouth, more tears spilling out from her eyes as she watched him in silence. The image makes Chang Wook's heart sink, and it was like he was ready to kick his own for what he's done.

"What's your name?" He asked, but her lips shook as she squinted at him closely. 

"It's okay, you can tell me." He calmly spoke.

"Hee Young-ah!" A shrill voice screamed, followed by rapid footsteps towards them, and a young boy hurriedly crouched down beside him, not even noticing his presence.

"Hee Young-ah! Why did you have to run like that?!" He screamed, and the young girl could only hiccup her sobs. 

"Does your head hurt?" Chang Wook spoke up, and his voice caused the young boy to look at him in shock as well. Sometimes, he doesn't really get why the need for overly shocked expressions whenever he's around, maybe because he's not used to it after all this time. But at this moment, he could care less if he's seen like this right now.

The young girl shook her head, her eyes half-closed. "Does your neck hurt?"

She shook her head once more. "Alright, but we still have to be very careful. We'll take you to the hospital to have you checked."

He turned towards the kid beside him, who had the same expression as the injured girl as they stared at him. "How do you know her?"

"S-She..." the young boy stuttered. "My—My sister."

It's like the situation couldn't get any worse from here. He feels more than guilty knowing that this kid just watched his own vehicle almost run over his sister. Chi Gu ran over and assisted him in aiding the kid inside the vehicle, making sure that the head won't be moved too much. Chang Wook opted to sit by the passenger seats behind the front row, assisting the young girl alongside her brother as they made their way to the nearest hospital in the area. He turned to the young boy by the other end of the seat, seeing as how he still stared at him with wide eyes and shaking lips, before looking down at his sister.

"You'll be okay, Hee Young-ah," he cooed. "You'll be okay. We got you."

Hee Young could only sob as she laid down on the seat, closing her eyes as the tears poured. "I'm so sorry Chung Ae, I'm so sorry for being so reckless."

"You really didn't have to be this reckless." He muttered, before he looked back at him, and for some reason, even behind the kid's glasses, something about him felt like he was staring at a mirror. Strangely enough, his face reminded him of what he looked like back in elementary school, like he was talking to some past version of himself as of the moment.

"A-App—Ahjussi." The boy caught himself. "Will my sister be okay?"

He sighed, looking by the front window as Bang Chi Gu turned a corner as they approached the hospital. "I hope she will be, kid. I really do."

He watched as the boy looked down by his lap, a few tears falling from his eyes, and he leaned over to pat his head. 

"Ya," he cooed towards him. "You're Chung Ae, right?"

The boy nodded in response. "Don't worry Chung Ae, we'll take care of it, alright?"

He sniffled in response, placing his small hand by the sides of his large hand that laid on top of his head. "It's not that it's just..."

"What's wrong?"

"I promised my eomma that I'll protect my sister no matter what, and I failed." He choked a sob. "She got hurt because I didn't rush to her on time."

His heart breaks by the thought of their mother being worried over what happened to her kids, and he's bracing himself now for the worse things to come. 

"No, no." He hushed him, moving the hand on his head to wipe the kid's tears that stained his cheeks. "I'm the one at fault. You didn't do anything wrong."

He doesn't know why, but despite the many children he has encountered in his life, he couldn't help but feel soft and overprotective over this young boy. He doesn't know why he had this urge to coop him— no, both of them up in his arms and keep them from any harm that went against them. He doesn't know why he felt this way, but he hoped that it's just a momentary feeling. 

"If anything, your eomma should be mad at me for what I've done." He muttered to himself, before turning to him.

"Your sister is Hee Young, am I right?" He asked, and the two nodded. 

"Well," he addressed them solemnly. "I'm sorry for causing this accident, Hee Young, and I'm sorry for hurting your sister, Chung Ae. Rest assured that I'll handle everything, so don't worry. I'll take care of the two of you until your parents arrive."

The two watched him with wide eyes as he continued. "I need to also talk to your parents about what happened. Do you know their numbers?"

"We—We only have an... eomma..." Chung Ae trailed off with that last word as the van arrived by the emergency bay of the hospital. Bang Chi Gu rushed out of the vehicle as he asked for the staff to help him out, and within seconds, Hee Young was on a stretcher as she was led inside. Chang Wook and Chung Ae accompanied her inside as his manager drove off to park somewhere. And it was also noticeable that almost everyone in the emergency room was staring at the three of them, but what was strange was the shocked and sad expressions of the medical staff looking at Hee Young instead of being focused on him. A nurse came in first to check the vital signs, before the pediatrician quickly came by to ask her some questions as well, especially after hearing her case, and afterwards, another nurse arrived with the necessary apparatus for her wounds. Luckily, there wasn't a concussion, according to the diagnosis, but she needed to take a few hours rest for further observation. 

Chang Wook doesn’t notice the sudden burst of the doors of the emergency room, focusing only on the injured kid in his care. He watched as the nurse cleaned her wounds from her knees up to the one by her temple. The young girl sniffles and hiccuped her sobs as the medicine stung her bleeding cuts, and Chang Wook could only hold her tiny hand, grasping it tightly in his fist.

“It’s alright, bud.” He cooed, soothing his thumb over the surface of the little girl’s hand. “You’ll be okay. It’s going to be alright.” 

“You’ll be okay, Hee Young-ah.” The little boy by her side piped up, and he could only muster a smile as he looked at the two siblings.

”Right, Ap—Ahjussi? She’ll be okay?” He turned towards him, and Chang Wook nodded as he patted the little boy’s head, thinking about how adorable he is trying to comfort his sister.

"So, you're twins?" He asked, and the two nodded slowly, as if they were observing him like a butterfly perched on a flower. 

"Well, your parents are quite lucky to have you two for being so supportive with each other." He smiled at them. "Your parents must've raised you well."

They were silent when he mentioned their parents, making the situation a bit awkward than before. 

Chang Wook raised his eyebrows. "Oh, well... speaking of which... Do you know your eomma's or your appa's number so I can talk to them about what happened?"

Chung Ae stopped for a while as she looked at his sister, a silent conversation between them as they looked around the emergency room, before he nodded, and as he typed the numbers he dictated, Chang Wook excused himself from them, but just as he was about to press the "call" button, Chung Ae's next word stopped him.

“Eomma!” 

The yell of the little boy echoes through his ears, and he felt a chill run down his spine. Oh God, here it is. He mentally prepared himself for the worst: lawsuit, public anger, some woman ready to charge at him and claw his eyes out, his near death in the form of her beating him into pulp. But just as he thought of the worst case scenarios that could finally meet his own death, he freezed when the mother finally broke her silence. 

“Hee Young! What happened?! Who did this to you?! Oh my goodness!” 

The voice, the distinct accent, the bullet train of flashbacks suddenly hitting him. His heart suddenly ached and shivered at the sound. Before he knew it, his left shoulder pushes outward, his neck twisting to finally meet the face of the voice he’s never heard in years. Her hair was pulled back in a makeshift ponytail, her flushed cheeks and watery eyes gazing at the girl with such urgency, before bowing her head into her hands as she grasped onto her daughter's hands. And all of a sudden, the world halts its turns, the people in the emergency room dissolving in the background as the all too familiar doll eyes met his own for the first time in eight years. 

"Oh my God." 

It’s her.