The Ways to Go

The Parent Trap

With Halmeoni on their side, it seems as if they were good to go on the plan. The only thing that’s going to foil this plan is if their mom catches them red handed, so they try their best to be careful with their actions. But somehow, it’s going to be tough knowing how detailed their mom is and how easily she finds out almost everything. They spent almost the entire weekend thinking through on how to run into him, while of course, making sure that Ji Hyun wouldn't track them on what they would be trying to do. 

Well, Halmeoni thought of trying to call the agency, but it would be tough if they just called out of the blue and said "Hey! One of your artists is the father of two children that my daughter has been raising for eight years, and they want to meet him!" 

Yeah, that's something that would definitely cause a whole new ruckus in their hands. 

They've thought of something or anything that could at least give them a step closer near their target, but it was more difficult than they thought it would be. And as the new week rolled in, while Halmeoni tries to ask for a bit of a tutorial on how to successfully track a famous person from her eldest daughter, the twins go to school, making sure that they spend their time actually learning how to solve the new math problems and how to use the proper pronouns in English sentences, while trying not to think about finding their father. It's in the little things they find refuge in: the way Halmeoni or their mother prepares their snacks and lunches in their respective lunchboxes, the stamps on their hands after they successfully solved something on the board, the laughs that pass their lips whenever someone in their classroom does a silly antic. It gets them through the day as the thought of their father gets buried under their worksheets and stories, until it gets them halfway through the week. 

It's known that every Wednesday, their eomma would be working two days straight in the hospital, which is why Halmeoni treats them to eat out to any place of their choosing. Tonight, they choose a quaint pizza restaurant in a street by Gangnam, since it was a few walks away from the hospital Eomma worked in. They had plans to give her a few slices of pizza before they come back home, so it was just fitting that they would dine here for the night. Not willing to risk the kids getting a cold, Halmeoni makes sure Hee Young's jacket is closed well, checking her buttons and smoothening her hair before going back to Chung Ae, who was sitting with his hands folded in front of him. Halmeoni opted to go for a commute with the kids to the pizza restaurant, since she knew the traffic would be bad at this hour and the amount of people that would be blocking the streets would be far more than she could handle. And so, when the automated voice of a lady said that the next stop would be by Yeoksam-dong, she readies her card as the twins held onto her jacket, before giving it a tap and stepping down from the bus, the chill nipping through them as they were faced with the bustle of the evening in Gangnam. As they were nearing the pizza place, however, they noticed that the restaurant a few steps away from them is having a field day, with tons of reporters and screaming fans by it's entrance, as well as the tight security in the area. Halmeoni heaved a sigh of relief, thinking about how her intuitions were right, before stepping inside the pizza place, the twins still had their eyes on the commotion before the red doors shielded them from the view. 

As the night rolled in, after the servers got their orders, Halmeoni faced the twins, her hands crossed in front of her. 

"My loves," she started. "I think it will take us some time before we get to have our plan rolling."

She watched as the eyes of the twins widened, before she continued. "I asked your Imo a few days ago about... this. And it's going to be a lot harder than we thought."

A frown was starting to set on Chung Ae's face as she continued. "You see, famous people have only a few chances on being seen to the public, and most of the time, only the fans get to see them, not just any other people. Not to mention that their bodyguards are very tough and they do not let anyone meet them very easily." 

Hee Young thinks of that one cartoon show where she watched the main character try to meet a famous person, but fail as soon as they tried to approach the said person. She thought it was a joke, but hearing how her grandmother spoke about it made her stomach tie into a knot. 

"What I'm saying," she trailed off. "I'm saying that it might take a lot of people to ask and get through before we actually have your eomma meet your appa."

The twins nodded slowly, digesting what their halmeoni just said, before leaning back on their seats, a sigh leaving their lips. 

"It's okay, Halmeoni." Hee Young spoke up. "We knew it was going to be hard anyways."

Halmeoni, in turn, pinched her chin. "Hey, I didn't say we can't do it. I said it would take us some time. We'll get there sooner or later, alright?"

The twins nodded, their hearts a little heavy, but the scent of the pizza coming their way lifted their spirits. The three munched away their woes, laughing over the stories they had in school, especially that one time where Chung Ae almost slipped over a puddle after seeing his crush. 

"Your face was so funny." Hee Young doubled over in laughter at the memory. "Halmeoni, if you only saw his face, you would've laughed with me too." 

Halmeoni shook her head at the two. "Hey, it's still scary to think about it. Your brother could've been injured if he slipped too hard." 

"I know, Halmeoni." Hee Young sighed. "But, his face was really funny." 

Halmeoni could only chuckle, before turning her attention to Chung Ae, who was sulking over the story. "Chung Ae-yah, it's alright. It was an accident, no need to be sad about it."

"It's still humiliating." Chung Ae grumbled. 

The three finally paid the bill after some time, the paperbag for the last two slices of pizza was carried by Chung Ae, skipping giddily over the thought of seeing their eomma again tonight. As they exited the restaurant, the crowd they saw before still had a large number. In fact, it only grew after they got out. They didn't understand the commotion of it all, but the cheers were getting louder as they tried to pass them. 

"Halmeoni, what do you think is going on?" Chung Ae asked, hugging the paperbag to his chest as Halmeoni's hand rested by his back. 

"There are probably some famous people back there." She sighed. 

"Speaking of which," Chung Ae turned to her, "Halmeoni, what's our father's name?"

Just when Halmeoni was about to answer, the crowd bursted into life, screams and cheers coming from all around, the flashes of the cameras flashing by the area, the sounds of wails and cries from women filling the air, all chanting one familiar name. 

"Oppa! Ji Chang Wook! Chang Wook-oppa!"

Halmeoni turned her head, just in time for her to see the figure walking to his car, a courteous smile on his face as he waved to his fans. The same smile she saw on the bus, the same smile she saw on the countless dramas and variety shows he's been, the same smile that could be seen in traces of her grandchildren's features, dazzling everyone in his sight. He bowed before being rushed inside his car, a rough millisecond passing by as she watched the vehicle drive away, with some of the fans running to catch up with the car. Halmeoni could only stare as the vehicle disappeared from her sight. 

"Halmeoni? What happened?" Hee Young tugged on a piece of her grandmother's coat. "Who was that?"

"Did...Did any of you saw the plate number of the car?" She asked all of a sudden. Chung Ae nodded slowly. 

"What for, Halmeoni?" He asked, before she turned her head towards him. 

"Don't forget that, we'll need it soon." She spoke slowly, and Chung Ae could only nod. 

"Who was that, Halmeoni?" Her grandson asked, still confused as to what just happened a few seconds ago.

"You don't know Ji Chang Wook?" 

An unfamiliar voice makes the three look up, and they come face to face with a woman, maybe in her late thirties if they look closely. "Pardon me for speaking up, it's just... I'm a fan, so I had to say something."

"I don't know him." Hee Young spoke up. 

"Well," the fan trailed off, before looking at Halmeoni. "He's a famous actor. He has a lot of dramas and shows, and he has a movie out right now. I hope you check him out if you want."

"I... I'm a fan of him. I know who he is." Halmeoni started. "Can... Can we meet him, though? I'm sorry, this sounds like a weird question. I just wanted to give him a gift, that's all."

The fan's eyebrows raised. "Well, we can, but it's not really easy since he's always hiding somewhere or he's hanging out somewhere, and whenever he has an event, the security is pretty tight. So, I think the chances of meeting him are kind of slim. "

Halmeoni nodded at her before she continued. "But, if you want to leave him a few gifts and letters, you can leave some by his agency, although you have to ask permission from them first to give your gift. I'll give you the address, or a good route to the agency, if you want to give the gift personally."

"How can we ask them?"

"Well," the fan sighed. "It's either a call or an e-mail would do, Halmeoni."

Halmeoni nodded frantically as she watched the fan scramble to find a piece of paper, before scribbling something onto it and giving it to their grandmother. 

"Here," the fan breathed out. "Once you stop down this bus stop, there's a road going upwards, before you take a few turns, and you'll see the building with the name on it. Right below the map is the e-mail and the number you should call if you want to give the gift."

"I see," Halmeoni nodded. "Thank you."

"No problem," she smiled, before bowing towards her. "I hope you give your gift safely to him, Halmeoni."

Halmeoni smiled. "Thank you, dear. Now, I hope you go home safely."

"I will, Halmeoni. Thank you!" The fan smiled back at her, before going the opposite route, and the three could only watch her disappear as she turned a corner. 

"Chung Ae," Halmeoni started, crouching down at him. "Don't forget the plate code, alright?"

"I won't, Halmeoni." He nodded. "But... Halmeoni... Who's that? Who's Ji Chang Wook?" 

Halmeoni breathed a sigh, before looking around their surroundings. This was going to be a pretty big bomb to drop on the kids, and somehow, it made her anxious that she would be the one breaking the news to her grandchildren, instead of their own mother. She beckoned Chung Ae to come closer, as well as Hee Young, before she whispered, her heart ready to drop from the three words she was about to say. 

"That's your father."