III

Well, it’s kinda complicated

Dahyun tiptoes to her bed while she keeps her eyes on Mina, waiting for any sign that she's still awake. But the rise and fall of her chest is steady, mouth a little open, fingers relaxed in a natural curl, and her hair tousled; seems like she has been asleep for a while so she walks back to turn off the light. She has been dreading to have a confrontation with Mina that she avoided any chance to be in the same space as her for the past few days but here she is climbing into bed and lying down on the space Mina has intentionally left for her. Why is this beautiful human being even here, beside her, in her bed? Dahyun is dying to know the answer; her heartbeat can wake up the whole building and she sure wouldn’t mind if it would at least wake up the person next to her because she could not bring herself to give Mina a nudge when she’s looking like the softest fluffball that you would never dare to upset. She doesn’t move nor utter a word; she stays with her back against the mattress and hands clasped on top of her belly as she gets lost in thought. Will Mina awkwardly rush out of the room? Or will Mina wake her up with a gentle caress on the shoulder? With a smile that can make her look forward to Monday mornings? Will she finally tell Dahyun how much she also likes— oh yeah how could she almost forget. Mina likes someone else Jeongyeon. She knows Jeongyeon fairly well since they both play for the school’s soccer team, they are both into photography, and they both know Mina. Although the difference, Jeongyeon is team captain, Jeongyeon is chosen to represent the university for a photo exhibit, and it’s no secret Mina is crushing on her so comparing the two of them there is no way Mina would like her in the way she dreams of. She just stares blankly at the ceiling, her mind quieting down along with the stillness of the room. But she hears a small incomprehensible mumble from a half asleep Mina, then an arm finds its way to her, forearm resting on her lower rib. She turns her head to the side, scans her face to see if she’s about to wake up but her eyes are still shut and breath still calm. For now, Dahyun lets herself enjoy the simplicity of the moment.



There is nothing gentle about the way the hand is shaking her shoulder right now. “It starts in less than thirty minutes!” And beginning the day with her roommate shouting wouldn’t even make her like weekend mornings. “You have to go take a shower!” Dahyun hopes Chaeyoung could lower her voice a bit, waking up on a Monday with less than four hours of sleep is bad enough. Mina is already up, sitting next to her, sluggishly scrolling on the phone with her face still puffy from sleep and strands of her messy hair covering almost half of her face. Dahyun sits and Mina looks up but neither of them says anything. “Get up fast, both of you!” Chaeyoung drags her by the sleeve. “We can’t be late!” Dahyun could only hurriedly hop out of bed while Mina makes a beeline to her own dorm room. Maybe they can talk about it later in the day.



What’s worse than an hour of sleep-inducing classroom lecture is the two-hour mandatory forum they are on their way to. “How did it go last night?” Chaeyoung asks amidst running and panting. “We didn’t get to talk. She was asleep when I got there.” A few steps away from the auditorium and they spot Mina and Tzuyu waiting for them by the entrance. “At least try not to make it awkward.”

 

Looks like Dahyun has a different definition of trying seeing that she purposely sat three seats away from Mina. They are oddly quiet doing their own thing. Mina is on her phone, Tzuyu is reading the forum pamphlet, Chaeyoung is doodling carrots on her own arm, and Dahyun is getting comfy to snooze before the program officially starts. She was about to doze off when Chaeyoung whispers a question. “Why did you sit there? You’re making it weird.” She glances at Mina and Tzuyu also having their hushed conversation. “What?” She dramatically leans away as if offended. “This is a very normal arrangement for us.” Chaeyoung just gives her the eye roll.

 

Dahyun has been entertaining herself with Mario Kart Tour for too long already. Her phone is drained so she gets her hand on the closest thing she could fidget with, a pen, a coin, the hem of Chaeyoung’s sweater paw, basically just about anything that will help her get through this. Six speakers finished and the seventh and last presenter is now on stage but waiting for the program to end seemed like forever because the endless q&a session is making it longer than it should that she swears she could strangle the next student who asks yet another insightful question she doesn't really care about. She is a little too on edge because she’s hungry and sleepy which is never a good combination, and maybe because she has to face something or more like someone later on. The emcee finally (finally) finishes his closing remarks and Dahyun is the first to stand among the crowd.



Don’t make things weird. At this point it could be her mantra from the number of times she has repeated it in her head and that’s all Dahyun can think of right now (aside from the burger she’s planning to order with extra cheese but no pickles, plus onion rings on the side) as they make their way to their fave cafe. Dahyun can’t ruin the vibe of this place; this cafe is and always will be for good memories only. This is where the four of them first ate out together, where they meet when they cut class, where they had breakfast at three in the morning after a party, where they briefly catch up in between their different schedules. There is something comforting about it and Dahyun likes to keep it that way so she sits beside Mina, tries her best to contain the restlessness she’s holding since this morning and for a moment everything was back to normal. They do what they usually do, she feeds Mina an onion ring, Mina shares with her a soda, and they all laugh about that petty student council Twitter fight, occasionally leaning on each other while giggling. All is pretty fine until Dahyun started to get jittery repeatedly wiping her sweaty hands on her jeans because Chaeyoung and Tzuyu are about to leave for a class while she still has a one hour break. With Mina. She clears then shifts her seat towards Mina, she’s almost ready to casually open up the topic but Chaeyoung calls out a quick reminder before they step out. “By the way! Don’t forget to email your file to Jihyo, she wants to compile them before class.” Dahyun does a facepalm. “I totally forgot about our group project.” Apparently she still has one more thing to take care of. “I’ll stop by the library and you can go ahead, if you want?” Dahyun won’t deny that a part of her wishes Mina has somewhere else she needs to be, “It’s fine, I’ll go with you.” Because with Mina smiling at her like that, she may not be able to keep her cool for so long.



Seventeen tabs open, window is lagging, and if she could type hundred words per minute she would. Mina is beside her browsing BuzzFeed articles on the computer while Dahyun is trying her best to make it quick, she needs one more sensible paragraph to finalize her paper but her brain is not cooperating. Just when she has made up her mind to settle for a sloppy industry analysis research to get it over with, Sana randomly rolls in and sits on the edge of her table. “Hey, cutie.” Dahyun barely registered the greeting, she had her attention on attaching the file. 

“Trying to get into bed with Dahyun again?” And of course it’s followed by Nayeon’s familiar teasing voice. Email is sent; a couple of clicks to logout and she’ll be done in a second. 

“No, I just wanted to say hi.” Sana’s comment was undeniably followed by a flirty snicker and she knows she needs to get out of there, like right now. 

“Oh, you’re not? Then maybe I can borrow Dahyun some ti—” Dahyun abruptly stands up, she doesn’t really want Nayeon to finish what she’s about to say. 

“Okay,” All she can do is laugh nervously while Mina quietly observes them, expressionless. “I need to go now.” She takes apprehensive glances at the three of them before bolting. 

“See you around?” Sana and Nayeon look somewhat confused but Dahyun doesn’t have time to explain, she takes Mina’s hand hurriedly guiding her outside.

 

Dahyun eventually let go and grips her bag strap instead as they walk, clenching on it like it’ll give her the courage to spit out at least one syllable any moment now because it’s not a long walk before they reach the building for their next class. “So,” But Mina immediately cuts her off. “Look, this was never going to work.” Almost three days of agonizing anticipation and she gets the answer in less than three seconds. “Oh. It’s okay. I get it.” She has seen this coming but it’s a lie if she says it doesn’t hurt. It’s also a lie if she says she didn’t get a tad bit optimistic after she saw Mina waiting for her last night, she’s always been the hope for the best expect the worst kind of person. She really has nothing else to say and the silence is getting uncomfortable so she puts her attention elsewhere, kicks a pebble, steps on a crunchy leaf, perhaps even the grainy cemented pathway is getting interesting at this point because she has never wanted to get to class as fast as possible as she does now. Mina doesn’t say anything either, not until before she pushes the classroom door open. “Now that we have that cleared, can things go back to normal?”

 

And that’s what Dahyun does, pretends everything is fine. She high fives Chaeyoung like she’s not feeling the lowest she’s ever been. She laughs at Tzuyu’s joke like she’s not trying to hold back a sob. Mina and Dahyun sit a little too close, elbows touching every now and then as if she doesn’t want to be ten seats away from her. Lecture is boring as usual and Dahyun is zoning out. Their professor has been blabbing since he got here but Dahyun isn’t listening to a single word, she’s thinking of how to get her head straight because she can’t ruin their friendship that is one of the only few things she is sure of. They have gone through almost all of the PowerPoint slides and Dahyun didn’t even read half of it, she’s busy reminding herself to keep her emotions at bay like she always does. She’s staring into space and probably not blinking, Chaeyoung had to wave a hand right in front of her face. “Prof said we can take the last fifteen minutes to have a group meeting.” She snaps back to reality to see people scattering to break into their groups and finding a space to meet. “What happened?” Chaeyoung asks once they sat down with their group mates. 

“I think she wants to stay friends.” She gives a nonchalant shrug, tries her best to appear cool about it. “We’re good, don’t worry about it.” Dahyun hopes Chaeyoung buys it.

 

They reviewed their stuff, listed down what needs to be revised, delegated tasks for each member, have set up a timetable for the deliverables, and nothing more to discuss so Dahyun and Chaeyoung were about to stand to leave when Jihyo asks. “You guys are friends with Mina right?” 

Chaeyoung answers for the both of them. “Yeah we’re pretty close.” And Dahyun follows with a nod. 

“Okay you know my friend, Jeongyeon?” Dahyun is torn whether she wants to know where this conversation is going or not. “I need your help ‘cause Jeongyeon is such a !” She has an idea what this is about but she prays she’s wrong. “She likes Mina.” It is safe to say that it is not a good day for Dahyun. “I want to get them together, if you’re up for it?” Chaeyoung looks at Dahyun with her big round eyes hinting a mix of both disbelief and concern. Dahyun is aware only stupid people would agree to something like this, watching Mina from the sidelines swoon over someone else would hurt like hell more so be involved in making it happen. 

“Sure, we can do something about it.” Apparently, she is one of those people after all.



Dahyun crashes on her bed and Chaeyoung slumps next to her. “Do you want to talk about it?” Dahyun covers her face with a pillow and doesn’t say a word. “You don’t have to help set them up though?” That is true but the sadness is making her dumb, her brain is telling her that it might help her detach without blatantly pushing people, more specifically Mina, away. “They’re a good fit, the feeling is mutual. I can’t do anything about it.” Her voice is muffled but Chaeyoung is still there trying to understand her, she’s always so patient with her that Dahyun would someday grow a strawberry farm for this self-proclaimed strawberry princess just to show her how much she’s appreciated. “If you don’t feel like talking yet, do you want to go out? I’m meeting a friend you can come with me.” One other thing Chaeyoung is good in is knowing how to console her.



Dahyun got so caught up it slipped her mind that the opening of the weeklong university festival is tonight. The atmosphere is great with the smell of smoky grilled beef from the food tents and scent of cinnamon from the churro food cart, boyfriends at the carnival booths throwing darts at balloons to win that big stuffed penguin for their girls, student orgs selling merchandise for their promotions and fundraisers, and the marching band is on the field while the cheer squad is doing back flips and tumbling. Campus is so alive with all these students roaming around giddy and chill, some are having a picnic on the lawn, others are by the bleachers taking pictures, and a roaring crowd is gathered in front of the stage. 

“Who are we meeting and why are Mina and Tzuyu not with us?” It’s not that she wants to see her, although a glimpse would be fine, the point is she doesn’t want the four of them falling apart because of her and besides, they’ve attended the festival together since freshman year. 

“They didn’t bring it up either, maybe they’re staying in? And I’m meeting Momo.” Dahyun stops walking, the information is too much she can’t process it while multitasking.

“Wait. What? Momo? The friend you’re meeting is Momo? Are the two of you dating? Or something?” Dahyun is beyond clueless, she didn’t expect that. 

“Nope. I mean, nothing serious yet. It’s our first time going out together.” A sudden realization hits her, so they’ve been flirting all those times Momo went with them during fieldwork.

“Did you really just bring me to your first date with her?” Chaeyoung is ready to do anything for her; she’s too precious for this world she doesn’t deserve to worry about her heartbroken friend tailing on a first date. 

“Okay I'm sorry for making you tag along but I just had to before you start moping.” Dahyun is far from mad for being a third wheel, she’s actually so grateful for having a friend like her that she had to give her the tightest hug and cheesiest smile with a small shy thank you. But she needs to get out of their way sooner or later and find someone else to bother tonight so she texts Sana, asking if she’s at the festival.

 

Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Momo and are lining up to order corn dogs when they hear someone calling Momo; they turn around to see Jihyo approaching them excitedly pulling Jeongyeon with her. After a few small talks Jihyo discreetly asks Dahyun where Mina is, convincing her how it’s the perfect time and place to start breaking the ice. She can’t say no to her face without having to explain very personal stuff (like how she likes the same person and how the said person rejected her just this afternoon) so she takes her phone and in a couple of rings Mina picks up. “Where are you? We’re at the festival, come here with Tzuyu?” Mina said they’ll be there and in about twenty minutes they arrive, it was easy to spot Mina when she’s elegantly waddling her way as if people are parting to make way for a queen. Mina and Tzuyu are surprised they have company but Jihyo smoothly takes over the conversation and soon enough she has gotten Mina and Jeongyeon comfortably talking. Dahyun feels defeated, she has to admit they look good together and a few more dates they’ll be a blissful couple in no time. Tzuyu and Jihyo went to grab snacks, Chaeyoung and Momo are taking videos that they almost look like YouTube vlogger girlfriends, and Dahyun doesn’t even want to check how much Mina is enjoying Jeongyeon’s dad jokes so she awkwardly stood there gazing at the crowd and like an angel sent from heaven to save her from this misery, she suddenly met eyes with a familiar face. Nayeon beamed at her with her bunny teeth before walking towards her. “Hi! Why aren’t you with Sana?” 

She would have gone to her in a heartbeat but she doesn’t know where she is. “I texted but no reply.” Dahyun gives her an exaggerated pouty face that can win over anyone. 

“Sana replied, you . She’s waiting for you.” Nayeon links their arms and steals her away from her friends. 

“There you are!” Sana puts an arm around her shoulder so Dahyun pulls her close by the waist. Sana and Nayeon introduce her to their friends who Dahyun discovers, are just as warm and entertaining as them. The battle of the bands got them hyped that Dahyun and Nayeon are singing along a little too loud and probably out of tune but they don’t care as long as it feels right. The songs got them pumped that they’re dancing carefree, with Sana’s back practically pressed against Dahyun, hips one with the beat and bodies in sync. She is genuinely having fun but she’s so tired, the good kind of tired but she is so exhausted she needs a break. “I’ll go buy a drink, you guys want some too?” She asks Sana and her friends. “Yes please, I’m so thirsty.” Dahyun was a few strides away when Sana called her. “Wait, I wanna come with you.” She held out her hand and Sana takes it, Dahyun leads as they push their way through the crowd with their fingers intertwined. But they didn’t make it to the vending machine because Sana yanked her away from the noise then turns at the corner to hide in a dimly lit empty hallway. Sana gives her a peck and Dahyun bursts out laughing. “I thought you were thirsty.” Sana leans on the wall, takes Dahyun by the wrist to keep her close. “Yeah, I am.” Dahyun is not sure if she’s slow or Sana wasn’t clear about what she meant when she said she’s thirsty but with the way Sana is ogling at her lips and how Sana doesn’t mind when she rests her hands on her hips made it clearer. 


The song playing in the distance is getting inaudible; Dahyun’s senses are zeroing in on Sana. She gets a lot closer that she can smell Sana’s perfume with a whiff of that distinct detergent used at the resident laundromat. Her eyes are focused on her lips, how the tip of her tongue slightly peeked out before playfully grinning at her. Sana leans in, the kiss was so gentle and chaste she didn’t expect it’ll be followed by a soft bite on her lower lip. Dahyun kisses her back, she can faintly taste what’s left of Sana’s watermelon lip tint and it’s making her want more. The sensation of Sana’s tongue is making her head rush that she draws back for a second but Sana pulls her. Her lips brush Sana’s neck, she might have left a mark or two. Dahyun slides a hand under her shirt, from her lower back and— a phone rings. Dahyun slightly jumps and Sana’s shriek echoed in the hollow corridor. She checks her phone but doesn’t accept nor decline the call, just puts it on silent. “Sorry.” Sana cracks up laughing. “It’s okay.” Her day took a 180-degree turn thanks to Sana, and she’d prefer for it to stay that way for the rest of the night but something is nagging at the back of her mind, why was Mina calling her?