Unchained

Sleepless Night

“Can I come in?”

It was only when the door was closed behind him that Kibum remembered the state of his house. “,” he muttered under his breath, glancing at the back of Minho’s head and waiting for his reaction to the remnants of the party.

“This was for Taemin, right?” Kibum blinked in surprise. “Jinki invited me to come a couple of weeks ago.” That er...Jinki didn’t mention anything about the extended invitation. “I was scheduled to be in New York…” Minho’s voice trailed off as he sighed.

“Why are you here, Minho?” He turned around, then, meeting Kibum’s inquisitive gaze. There was warmth there, still, in those tired eyes. Warmth and hope and a silent plea for understanding. Kibum looked down at the spread of confetti on the floor, then brushed past Minho as he followed the path through it to the couch. He sat in his spot, looking up at Minho expectantly. “Well?”

“I didn’t think I’d get this far...Not quite sure where to begin, to be honest.”

“How about sitting down.” He was more curious than anything else, now. Had he dressed up in that suit specifically to see him? Or was that just a random choice for his day at work? Kibum followed Minho’s progress around the room, and he grabbed the remote as Minho sat on the opposite end of the couch to turn the volume down several clicks.

Minho brushed more of the confetti off and onto the floor as he made himself comfortable, pointedly avoiding Kibum’s gaze. He picked one of the pieces up, twirling it around his finger as he looked up. “You could never irritate me.” Kibum’s brow furrowed in confusion. They irritated each other frequently in the many years they had known each other, especially when they were a couple. “Thoughts of you -- of us -- could never irritate me.”

Oh god...the text message. Was that why he decided to come? Kibum started to apologize for sending that, but Minho continued.

“Those were the happiest moments of my life. The ones with you.”

“Which ones?” Kibum found himself asking.

“All of them.” He gulped as Minho looked down at his hands again. “I missed you so much, ba -- Bummie.”

If he could physically reach into his chest and stop his heart from swelling, he would. He needed to be strong, not only for his own sake but also for Minho’s as well. For a moment, his gaze drifted away. “Then why did you leave?” His eyes snapped back to meet Minho’s when he looked up. “Why did you wait so long to see me again, if you missed me so much?”

“I had to.”

“Had to?” Kibum smirked when Minho nodded. “Ultimatums aren’t that serious. You didn’t have to stay away.” Hurt flashed in Minho’s eyes, and Kibum almost broke his stony demeanor and apologized. He knew...he knew he was being unfair. He had been the one to make him choose. The one to make him leave.

“You don’t understand.”

“Is that why you’re here, then? To explain?”

Minho started tearing the confetti in his hands into little shreds, his voice low and quiet as he told Kibum about a conversation he had with his father. The threat of blackmail, of their relationship -- and Kibum’s uality in particular-- being exposed. How he decided to drive Kibum away, to make him want to let go of what they could have been, because he couldn’t.

“I’m weak, when it comes to you,” Minho said after a stretch of silence. “I know I was being selfish, and for that, I deeply apologize, but I knew...when it came down to it, that I wouldn’t be able to say goodbye to you.”

Kibum swallowed past the lump in his throat. “Why tell me all this now?”

“When I saw you in the subway,” Minho chuckled, shaking his head. “After knowing that you missed me too, I knew I wouldn’t be able to rest until I saw you. One last time.” Last time...no… “I’m sorry for any trouble I caused you,” he said, standing and bowing to Kibum as he started for the door. “I won’t disturb you again.”

“It’s late.” Minho stopped in his tracks. Just let him go. He’s trying to move on with his life. Don’t ask him to -- “Stay. You can always take a taxi or whatever home in the morning.”

Minho turned, hope twinkling in his eyes. “Where will I sleep?” Kibum patted the couch. “What about -- “

“I still have some of your old t-shirts...and the blankets are where they always have been.” Minho nodded as Kibum stood, and started for their -- no, his room. He grabbed his pajamas, as well as Minho's t-shirt he wore most often to sleep in, and went back out to the main room. “Here.” Kibum tossed the shirt in Minho’s general direction, glancing over to find him cleaning off the entire couch before he laid the fleece throw down. “Goodnight, Min.”

“Goodnight.”

He’d be a fool to miss the longing in Minho’s voice.

Distracted now, he went into the bathroom to brush his teeth, completely forgoing his face washing routine. He flicked off the bathroom light and walked down the hall to see that the light and the television were turned off. Kibum stared into the darkness for a moment, before he turned and went into his bedroom.

“You’d think after that couch, this bed would be much more comfortable,” he murmured to himself, pulling the blankets up to his chin. He tossed and turned, curling up around his pillow and then lying bone-straight on his side, then his back, then his other side...then face down.

Kibum rolled over, lying on his back to watch the shadows shift on the ceiling with passing cars. How was Minho faring out there? He could always sleep anywhere, no matter what, so he was probably fine...but...no... He couldn’t bring Minho in here; he couldn’t cross that line. Not yet! Or ever!

His body, however, seemed to have a different idea. Kibum slipped out of bed, tiptoeing to the entrance of the hallway overlooking the living room. “Minho.”

“Yeah?” he whispered after a second of hesitation.

“Do you want to come to bed?”

In the darkness, he saw Minho’s silhouette peeking out over the back of the couch. “Are you sure?”

“If you don’t want to, then...whatever.” He turned and headed back to bed, his heart sinking as he slipped back under the covers. Closing his eyes, he turned over on his side, hoping to force himself to go to sleep.

The bed dipped and rocked as Minho crawled in, being careful not to disturb Kibum, who had started to smile. It only took a few minutes for Minho’s breathing to steady and for the first of his snores to come. Kibum’s eyes stung with tears that he blinked away as he rolled over to face Minho. The city lights from the far window gilded his silhouette, his shadow stretching out toward Kibum.

Minho snored again, and Kibum pursed his lips to stop a chuckle. He didn’t think he would miss that, and yet… Eventually, his eyes drooped, and he nodded off into a restful sleep.

As dawn broke, he stirred, feeling overly warm. Kibum barely opened his eyes, inhaling the fresh laundry scent right in front of his nose. There was just white, and as he looked up, the beautiful tan of Minho’s skin. He was in Minho’s arms, and him in Kibum’s. They were holding each other close, as though even in sleep, they were afraid of letting each other go again. Sighing, Kibum snuggled closer still and closed his eyes, drifting off again.

* * * * *

It was mid-morning by the time Minho woke, and the bed was empty.

Wait...bed?

He opened his sleepy eyes, taking in the familiar room. The random collection of art hanging on the walls, the same covers on the bed, several of the drawers in the dresser across the room always slightly open, and the light on in the walk-in closet. Minho took a deep breath and let it out slowly, looking over at the rumpled sheets beside him. Cool now, it seemed. He pulled his hand back, his eyes widening as Kibum walked into the room with just a towel wrapped around his waist.

“Is this a dream..?” Kibum started at the sound of Minho’s voice, his hand instantly going to his towel to make sure it didn’t fall open.

“You’re awake.”

Minho could barely nod as Kibum moved further into the room. He could only stare at Kibum, drinking in the sight of him. This felt too real to be a dream. Minho blinked as Kibum swung the door closed -- though not shut -- after he stepped into the closet. When he reappeared, he was dressed in dark wash skinny jeans and an oversized sweatshirt. His eyes instantly met Minho’s, his expression softening slightly.

“How’d you sleep?” He asked as he sat on the foot of the bed.

“Better than I have in a long...long time.”

Kibum laced his fingers, folding his hands together in his lap as Minho sat up, mirroring the motion. “So…” Minho raised his eyebrows, cocking his head to the side. “I was thinking...I should come out to my boss.” He blinked, taken aback. “That way, at least your dad has nothing against me.”

“Will...will you be alright?” he whispered. Unfortunately, he remembered all too well what happened when Kibum came out to his parents. He had been sitting in the other room while they argued with Kibum, trying to make him see how wrong his life was. His choices. He remembered the angry tears in Kibum’s eyes as he stormed out of the room, he remembered the vice-like grip on his hand and he dragged Minho out of the house and to their car.

That had been years ago, and he still had yet to reconcile with his mother. His father, since their divorce, luckily had come around.

“It’s just a job. If I get fired…” he shrugged, meeting Minho’s eyes for a second before he dropped his gaze to his hands.

“But you love that job, right?” Kibum nodded. “Is it worth the risk?”

Kibum looked up, searching Minho’s concerned expression until his attention shifted to Minho’s lips and then to his eyes. “So, I was an idiot, and I didn’t go grocery shopping last week...or the week before...so I don’t have any coffee for you.”

“That’s okay…” He smirked, and before he could think better of it, he said, “Just seeing you gives me more than enough of a boost.” Kibum bit his bottom lip in an effort to keep from smiling too wide. “Too soon?”

“Maybe a little...but I can’t say I mind.”

He smiled then, softly, but enough to make the dimple appear on his cheek. Minho’s shoulders drooped as he sighed. Kibum’s hands were still folded together, his thumbs tapping a rhythm together. Minho clenched his own fists in the sheets, longing to reach out and brush his fingers through Kibum’s hair, that was still slightly damp from his shower. Or, to hold him close in his arms. To feel his warmth, each intake of his breath. Anything to let him know that this was real.

“Are you sure this isn’t a dream?”

Kibum’s smile grew. “Do you often dream of me?”

“If I dream, you’re always there.”

He stared at him, his gaze growing tender until he blinked and averted his eyes. “Anyways, I should get going. I'm already almost late for work as it is.”

“Kibum.” Minho shot out of bed as he stood and turned for the door. “Do you want me to come with you?”

A heavy sigh. “Sure.”

Minho rushed to get ready, pulling on his slightly rumpled suit and brushing his teeth with a spare toothbrush before he met Kibum at the door. The journey to SM Entertainment was somber. Quiet. Neither of them seemed to mind that.

Ordinarily, a packed subway would have been irritating, but in this case, the physical closeness to Kibum was a soothing balm on his aching heart. A tingle danced along his skin every time he reached out to steady him, his touch lingering a second longer than necessary.

It wasn't much, but it was more than Minho could have ever hoped for.

They stayed an arm's length apart as they ventured into the cafe, Kibum instructing Minho to stay there until he came to find him. And...then he left. Minho watched him disappear down a long hallway, long to run after him, to hold him close and give him whatever strength he could.

The minutes stretched on, and eventually, he had to distract himself so he didn't just fidget until Kibum reappeared. He bought himself a coffee, taking tiny sips of it as he waited.

And waited.

Twenty minutes had passed before Kibum walked into the cafe, meeting Minho's inquisitive gaze immediately. A subtle nod and Minho was on his feet, following Kibum back down the hallway. Neither spoke as Kibum led them toward the dance studios.

His hands were trembling as he pulled out his keys, and it made it hard for him to unlock the door. Minho reached out, one hand instinctively slipping around Kibum's waist and the other taking the keys to open the studio. Once inside, he led Kibum over to the closest chair before he hurried back to close and lock the door.

When he made his way back to Kibum, he knelt before him, taking his hand in his as Kibum took deep calming breaths. “I'm okay,” he said after several minutes. “It went better than I was expecting.”

“What happened?”

“I told him the truth.”

“Sooman?”

Kibum nodded. “He said as long as I didn't let it affect my work and I didn't try to turn the trainees -- “ Minho grimaced. “ -- yeah...he said he didn't care.” Sighing, Minho leaned forward, pressing his forehead against their joined hands. After a minute, Kibum’s other hand patted Minho’s head, his fingers carding through Minho’s hair. “Now, there’s at least one thing that your dad doesn’t control.”

Minho slowly opened his eyes and stared at Kibum’s knee just beyond his nose. God, he really was an idiot...of course that’s why Kibum did this. They would never be able to return to how they were -- maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday -- if Kibum didn’t come out first. His father would tear them apart in whatever way he could. Whether by blackmail, which Kibum just annulled, or other means -- he would not want to lose his control over Minho.

If Kibum could be brave -- marching into uncharted territory unsure of the outcome, for them, for their possible future -- then so could he.

“When’s your next class?”

Kibum’s hand stilled in Minho’s hair, dropping to his lap when Minho looked up. “Soon. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to kick you out -- “

Minho released Kibum’s hand. “It’s okay. Can...can I see you later?” Smiling, Kibum nodded, and Minho stood and started for the door. “Do you still get off at six?”

“Yeah…”

“Okay.” Minho turned the handle looking back at Kibum for a moment. “I’ll see you soon.”

It wasn’t long until the skyscraper that housed Choi Conglomerate came into view. He stepped inside, breezing through the rotating doorway and walking right past the front desk. The elevator ride up to his office was a quiet one as if none of the employees knew what to say with him present. He raised his chin as the elevator reached his floor, and he walked out, passing Seohyun, his secretary on his way to his office.

“Sir?” she said, following him inside his office. “Your father has been trying to contact you all day.” Ah, that’s what he forgot to grab when he left his condo -- his cellphone.

“I’m sorry if it caused you stress.”

“Don’t worry about me, sir. Are you alright? You’ve never been this late before.”

Minho smiled to himself, and Seohyun sat in one of the chairs across from him. “I’m doing better than I have been in a while.”

“That’s a relief to hear.”

Minho met her eyes, and she smiled at him. “Do you know what my father’s schedule is like today?”

She pulled out her cellphone, probably bringing up her messages between herself and Jieun, his father’s secretary. “He’s currently in a meeting, but he wanted to see you whenever you got in. Apparently, he’s not...very happy.”

“Wow, what a huge surprise.” Seohyun chuckled, then covered when Minho looked up. “Why don’t you go ahead and take the day off?”

“Really?” Minho nodded. “Are you sure?” Laughing, he nodded again. “Thank you, sir.”

“Do something fun! And, Seohyun?” She stopped, looking back at him from the doorway. “Thank you for everything.” She gave him a shy smile before she closed the door behind herself. Once she was gone, Minho called his father’s office, and Jieun answered. “This is Minho.”

“Ah, Mr. Choi. Your father wishes to see you.”

“When is he out of his meeting?”

“He just got back.”

“I’ll be right there. Thank you, Jieun.” He hung up the phone and by the time he made it out the door, Seohyun was nowhere to be found.

As he walked to his father’s office, he thought about what he wanted to say and how he wanted to say it, but his mind was coming up blank. Even as he stepped inside his father’s office, he didn’t know how to begin. He walked up to the desk, standing between the armchairs as his father glared at him behind the desk. He was talking on the phone with someone, but he soon cut them off and hung up.

“Where were you? You’re never late.”

“I overslept.” For once in seven ing months, he had actually slept a normal amount of time. His father started to speak, but Minho spoke over him. “I quit.” Silence rang in Minho’s ears as his father stared at him. “I’m tired and I hate this job. I just want out. Give it to Minseok, for all I care. I know you’d rather that, anyway.”

“Why quit now?”

“I can’t live like this anymore. I’m miserable, and you know it. You exploit it, even.”

“If this is about that...Kibum -- “

“Would you do the same for Mom?” His father’s jaw clenched. “If there were obstacles in your way, keeping the two of you apart, would you fight for her?” Minho sighed when his dad grimaced. “I’m tired. I miss him and I’m tired of not being with him. So, I quit.”

As he turned to leave, his father said, “If you walk out that door, I never want to see you again.” Minho picked up his pace, not even bothering to turn around to look at his father one last time.

He felt lightheaded and slightly dizzy as he made his way back downstairs and onto the street. What would he do now? Where would he go? It was only a matter of hours before he would be locked out of his condo, so he made his way there, first, grabbing the few personal possessions that he couldn’t do without. He turned in his key at the front desk, his heart feeling lighter than it had in a long while.

This must be what freedom felt like.

Minho meandered through Seoul on his way back to SM Entertainment, scouring the shop windows for We’re Hiring! signs. He spotted a few, making mental notes of them all, and soon he was sitting in the cafe with a fresh iced coffee, watching the clock as he waited for Kibum.

Blessedly, it didn’t take too long for him to show, his smile growing as he spotted Minho. “Do...do you want to go grocery shopping with me?”

“Of course,” Minho said immediately.

It was just like old times -- why wouldn’t it be? Minho followed Kibum around the store, a basket in hand, and pulled things that he pointed at off the shelf. Kibum vented about the trainees as they shopped, and Minho listened eagerly, adding his own comments when he could and smiling when they made Kibum laugh. They walked home, their arms full of groceries. As Kibum put them away and started dinner, Minho started to clean up the remnants of Taemin’s party. He made good progress before dinner was ready, but after eating and helping Kibum with the dishes, he didn’t want to do much else but sit.

“So, you quit.” Minho nodded, tapping his thumb on the handle of his mug, the tea inside steaming. “What will you do?”

“I haven’t decided yet. I don’t know if I should look for a job or a place to live first…”

“Job.” Minho slowly met Kibum’s eyes, his eyebrows raising in question. “You can stay here.”

“Are you sure?”

“I don’t say things I don’t mean, Min. You should know that by now.”

He nodded.

Once he was finished showering, Kibum turned off the TV and met him by the bedroom door. “You can sleep in here, it’s okay,” he said as Minho tried to go past him and into the living room.

“I don’t want things to be awkward between us.”

“I know.” He leaned against the door jam as Kibum looked down at the carpet between them. “I know it’s probably asking too much. I don’t know about you, but...but I’m not ready for anything more right now.” As much as Minho longed to return to the way they were before, he knew that wouldn’t be wise. Patience and trust would be key to navigating themselves back into a relationship like the one they had had. “Even...even so, I missed you.” He met Minho’s eyes then. “I missed you so much, and I don’t want to be...to be apart from you again. It’s up to you,” he said, glancing into the bedroom. “If you want to sleep here, or not. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable at all.”

Kibum swallowed thickly before he stepped inside the bedroom. He had already crawled into bed by the time Minho flicked off the light and followed him inside.

- - - - -

“So, let me get this straight…” Kibum didn’t look up from his phone and the stream of memes Minho was sending him, but he hummed in question when Jonghyun paused. “You’re not dating, but you’re living together again. Sleeping in the same bed -- “

“Just sleeping.”

“And cuddling, I assume.” Kibum blushed, scrolling down when Minho sent him another meme. “Basically spending every waking moment you can together for a month…”

“Yeah? And?”

“How...no, why not just date again? Have you guys even kissed yet?” Kibum shook his head, rolling his eyes when Jonghyun scoffed. “If I hadn’t seen Taemin in seven months…”

“The world would end as we know it, I know.”

Min~

12:04 // okay, I have to go back to work now~

12:04 // bye~

Kibum pocketed his phone, rejoining Jonghyun’s rant on how everything good in this world would cease to exist if he and Taemin didn’t see each other every day. “Honestly, you should be grateful to us -- “

“Oh, I am,” Kibum said sarcastically as he picked up his chopsticks to resume eating his lunch. “We’re just...taking things slow, that’s all.”

“I feel like slow is an understatement.”

“When you’ve known each other as long as we have, you learn to be patient.”

He stirred his noodles, coating them with sauce before he took a bite. He and Minho had known each other since they were kids in middle school, but they didn’t start dating until their second year of college. Had...had they really been dating for eight years? He hadn’t really thought about it since they split.

No wonder they had slipped right back into their old routine so easily.

It only took about a week for Minho to find a new job, the sales manager at Times Square Mall in downtown Seoul. While it was fast-paced enough to keep Minho occupied and engaged, it was nowhere near the levels of stress and dedication he had to endure at his dad’s company.

About a month had passed since Minho quit his job and their lives intertwined again. Was that enough time? Was he taking too long to make up his mind? They had a solid relationship before the split, trust built and maintained easily. But, even now, he hesitated. It was hard, deciding to make the leap of faith, to reach out and begin things again.

He hated his own hesitation. He hated how each morning when he woke, he snuggled closer to Minho, leeching the warmth and comfort he was unknowingly giving. He hated how he didn’t linger, didn’t wait for Minho to stir and realize he was holding Kibum like his life depended on it. He hated how he doted on Minho, bringing him coffee just the way he liked it as soon as he was waking up, and he hated the sweet, sleepy smile Minho would give him every morning. He hated how easily domestic they were, as though they had never been apart.

He hated that he loved every second of it.

Why couldn’t he cross that line?

Ah, he was terrified. Of what would happen, should they be forced to split again. Those months without Minho were the darkest he had ever faced, and he faced them alone. And now...now that he was back, even though the sun was shining on them again, the darkness lurked in his mind.

Jonghyun just didn’t understand...neither did Taemin nor Jinki. Sure, they were there for him in those months, but they couldn’t understand.

“Speaking of Taemin,” Kibum said, stirring his noodles again. “When does he get back from Japan?”

Jonghyun sighed heavily. “Not soon enough.”

By the time Kibum was home for the night, Minho had been home for a while, judging by the state of the kitchen. Kibum walked in, smirking as he flipped through the recipe book. “Need any help?” he asked, startling Minho, who turned around to look at him.

“No, I think I got it. Thanks, though.”

The fried rice was a bit too crunchy for Kibum’s taste, but he ate it all, thanking Minho for the food. As they cleaned up the kitchen together -- Kibum insisted on helping, this time -- his mind started to wander to his and Jonghyun’s earlier conversation.

“Min.”

“Hm?”

“Are you happy?”

Minho’s hands stilled in the dishwater, and he glanced over at Kibum. “Of course I am.”

Nodding, Kibum set the pan to dry.

His birthday came and went, Minho planning a surprise party that Kibum was actually genuinely surprised by. After they all left, he even helped Kibum wash the cake and buttercream off his face and out of his hair. His hands lingered, on his cheek and when they cupped the back of his head. They were so close, just a little push and the line would have been crossed.

But, there would be no way to go back, if they did. So Kibum stayed still, his gaze trained on Minho’s lips, wishing he had the courage to leap.

The next morning, Kibum once again woke with the sun, relishing in the warmth of Minho’s embrace. He stared sleepily at the expanse of Minho’s skin just beyond his nose. As his eyes closed, he wrapped his arms around Minho’s waist and nuzzled into his neck. He pressed a chaste kiss where his neck met his shoulder, then another, and another until he reached Minho’s jaw.

Minho hummed contentedly, and Kibum sat back, still in his embrace, to see if he was awake yet. Not quite. He brushed Minho’s wavy hair off of his forehead, watching his face as the morning sun stretched across his skin, setting it aglow. He caressed his cheekbone with his thumb, smiling as even in his sleep, Minho leaned into the gentle touch.

He missed mornings like this, lazy and soft and filled with nothing but their love. This thumb stilled on Minho’s cheek. Love? Yes, love...as if he ever stopped loving Minho, even when they were apart. No matter what, he didn’t think that would ever change.

When Minho finally stirred and opened his eyes, Kibum hadn’t moved away. Minho’s eyes slowly widened when he realized how close they were, that Kibum was in his arms. “Good morning, sweetheart.” Minho’s lips parted, either in surprise or because he had something he wanted to say, but Kibum took it as an invitation and closed the distance between them.

The kiss started slow and lazy...almost tentative. But, as Minho became more awake, it grew hungrier, needier...desperate, even. Kibum smiled into it as Minho rolled them over so that he was on top of him, his fingers digging into his back as Kibum carded his fingers through Minho’s hair. He opened his eyes when they broke the kiss to breathe, Minho pressing their foreheads together.

“I missed you so much, baby.”

I missed you, too danced on the tip of his tongue, waiting to be spoken. But instead, Kibum smirked. “Prove it.”

He was so thankful that it was a Sunday because they had so much to catch up on.

* * * * *

Minho brushed the snow out of his hair before he bent down to untie his boots. It had been a long day at the office, what with the Christmas rush starting. He glanced at his phone before he plopped down on the couch, flicking through the channels to find that nothing good was on. He left it on Please Take Care of My Refrigerator but turned the volume down before he tossed the remote across the couch.

He sighed, picking himself up and going to the bedroom to change into something comfier than a suit. Kibum would be home from work soon, and he knew when the other three would be over for their weekly -- when their schedules aligned -- game night. He changed into jeans and a sweatshirt, throwing his work socks into a hamper and putting a pair of polka dotted ones on instead. When his phone vibrated, he looked to see that it was just a text from Kibum, letting him know that he was on his way home.

Minho grabbed his charging cord, setting his phone on his nightstand before he opened the drawer. There, with the take-out menus, condoms, and the bottle of lube, was the ring box he had bought so long ago. Almost a year, now that he thought about it. He pulled it out before he closed the drawer, popping the box open.

It was too soon, he knew, to ask Kibum to marry him. Not that they could, anyway, but...someday...someday they’d get there. He’d just have to be patient.

Luckily, that was something he had a lot of practice in.

Smirking to himself, he set the ring back in the drawer and went back out into the kitchen to get the snacks and table set up for the arrival of the others.

Minho’s attention flew to the door when it opened to reveal Kibum, and he smiled as he stomped in, grumbling about the snow. When Kibum looked up from untying his boots, Minho was there, waiting for him to stand so he could hug him. Kibum sniffed a laugh as Minho pulled him out of the entryway and away from the melting snow, hugging him all the while. “Did somebody miss me?”

“Maybe a little.”

“Hmm. Cute.” Kibum kissed his cheek before he took himself out of Minho’s arms. “What games did you pull out?”

“Monopoly...Clue…”

“Let’s start with Clue. We’ll still want to be friends with the others afterward. Plus, we can cheat...”

“You mean observe closely and win,” Minho said, smiling as he put that box on top of the others.

“Yes, of course.” Kibum returned to his side, slipping his arms around Minho’s waist. He held him close, savoring the moments before the other three would arrive and they’d have to play host for the night. Not that he minded, of course. It was just, since they were dating again, he had decided to savor every moment he could with Kibum.

He pressed a kiss to Kibum’s temple, then another when Kibum’s arms tightened around him. “I love you.”

Smiling, Kibum looked up at him. “I love you, too,” he said, glancing down at Minho’s lips before he leaned in. Just as they were about to kiss, the doorbell rang at the same time as someone knocked on the door. Minho hesitated. “They can wait.” Minho smiled into the kiss, the incessant knocking disappearing as he melted into it.

For one blessed moment, the world was just he and Kibum, and nothing else mattered.