Magnets

Mischief and Mayhem

Morgan has been dreading the end of summer, the day that she will leave. Looking at the small playground at the back of St. Anne's Orphanage for Girls, she spied that her bestfriend, Shannon was sitting on the swings, head down and looking so lost. 


Morgan sighed. She was keeping her departure from Shannon for weeks, and the she wished the day would not come, but eventually she had to tell her bestfriend. 


She had met Shannon (or Shasha as she fondly call her) seven years ago when she was four. Morgan has stayed from the orphanage since she was born and was left at the doorstep of St. Anne's. Shasha had been brought at the orphanage after she was seen loitering in the streets of London, wet, hungry and alone, and has been crying on the pavement. Since no one was looking for the little girl, she was brought at the orphanage. Morgan immediately took care of the little Shasha, always brought her anywhere she went, they ate together and sleep together in one cot. More than being friends, Shannon has been Morgan's only family, her sister, her soulmate. 


But being young and pretty, Shannon and Morgan had always been put in the the adoption process. They had been adopted many times, separately and one time, together, but to the puzzlement of the orphanage administrators, both of them were returned to the orphanage the very next day, with no explanations from the foster parents. Both children are well behaved, hardworking and smart, but the foster parents would just say that there were something weird with both the girls. When asked what, it seems like the foster parent's eyes would glaze over and they will just say they forgot and they would leave. The two children had no idea too, but they were just glad that they could be together again. 


So Morgan and Shannon were not adopted along with some older children so they stayed at the orphanage helping with the tasks of taking care of the other younger children, studying and playing in the fields during their spare time. But their blissful, quiet life had changed when they were 10.


Both of them strayed far from the orphanage in search of blueberries. They spent the whole afternoon filling up their baskets, lying on the fields and talking and laughing. It was starting to get dark when Morgan gestured that they should go back. The sky darkened and it started to drizzle and the two friends had started to run home. They've been running for 5 minutes when Shannon noticed that their surroundings had been unfamiliar. 


"Mo, I think we're lost." 


Morgan could hear the quiver in Shasha's voice. She's afraid too but she cannot let the younger know she's afraid. 


It was getting so darkthat they can't see what's in front of them and Morgan is afraid of the dark.Then out of no where, little blue flames appeared in front of them. The girls looked at each other. They had seen the blue flames before but they don't know where it came from. So they just followed it, less afraid than a few minutes ago. 

 

"Look, Sha! A cabin! Maybe we could get help, or at least a place to stay until the rain let up." 


Shannon has a bad feeling about it and she trusts her feelings because it always save her from trouble. She wanted to pull Morgan away but she had already knocked at the door. 
" Hello? Anybody here? "


No one opened the door so Morgan went in. The house is bigger than expected, dirty, but it doesnt look like it was abandoned. 


"Maybe the owner will come back soon."
Morgan looked around the house but Shannon decided to stay beside the door, her stomach feels like it's in knots. 


Suddenly they heard a loud thud and a loud growl coming outside the door. Shannon ran towards Morgan and held her arms. Morgan looked for another exit, but the cabin only has only one door and the windows are all boarded up. 


The creature entered the door, as if it was his home and looked at the two children like they are the tastiest morsel. Morgan protectively went in front of Shasha. She saw a stick and tried to scare the creature, which was seven-foot tall, a cross over between a fox or a wolf, Morgan is not so sure, but it's eyes are red. It growled and started to walk towards the two. 


"Stay away! I--I am not afraid of you!" and Morgan continued to wave the stick back and forth. 


The creature crouched, preparing to pounce on them and the last thing that sana remembered is Morgan screamed, then there was a fire---fire went out of Morgan or, Morgan's body caught fire, making the creature whimper because it's furs were scorched by fire and it ran outside of the cabin but Morgan was still screaming on a voice that Shasha doesn't recognize.The fire engulfed Morgan but she was not burned, it was just, there. She calls her name but she can't hear her so Shannon risked getting burnt and held onto Morgan and tried to calm her with her gift. Mo resisted but Shasha held on until the fire was gone and all was left  Morgan unconscious on her arms. Calming Morgan took all her energy but she was thinking of the possibility that the creature would come back so she cried for help. For anybody.. To just help them. Suddenly two shadows arrived and carried her on one shoulder and Morgan by the other. 


"That was close Sana. And very dangerous." 
"You did good, princess. But you need to be always with the Peach.She's unstable, and you need to control Momo's emotions." 


Sana? Momo? What are these two talking about ?! 
And then the surroundings went black. 
***
The bestfriends were unconscious for couple of days and the orphanage staff said they were found lying on the edge of property, dirty and Shasha has some burns on her skin. They don't know what happened to the two but they said there was a fire in the middle of the forest and they deduced that's where Shasha got her burned marks but what puzzles them is that the location is too far, like a day travel by foot and they couldn't possibly had been there. 


Morgan cannot remember anything and Shannon was waiting for the time to tell her what the 'shadows' told her. She eventually told Momo what she can remember and the older just laughed it off, making Shannon doubt what she can remember as well, but she took it to heart what the shadows told her--she and Morgan should always be together. 

 

****

Shannon looked up and saw Morgan standing a couple of feet from her, like she's hesitating to come forward. She flashed her a smile and send her a wave of her calming aura and Morgan smiled. 


"Something's bothering you, Mo?" 


Morgan sat on the other swing, but instead of swinging, she held both Shannon's hand. 


"Sha, I... I don't want to go... But.." 


"Go where..?" 


Morgan inhaled and looked around to see if there anybody within earshot. She pulled a parchment and showed it to Shannon.


"Is it adoption papers Mo?" 


"No.. It's a school." 


Shannon opened it and gasped. 


"Mo.." 


"You know I don't want to go, I don't even know where that school is and I don't want to leave you behind, because honestly I can't live without you, and it says there I could only go back here only once a year, and what if you are adopted and I won't be able to see you anymore--"


Shannon jumped and pulled Mo in a tight hug." Oh, Mo. I have a letter like that too! I--just don't know how to tell you that's why I am here practicing what will I tell you!"


" You do? Why didn't you tell me? "

Shannon laughed." The same reason as you! I don't want to leave you! It says there School of Wizardry.. And I didn't know what it means but I figure out I can't take you with me. I am planning to runaway with you tonight but it says there the Headmistress would personally fetch us... "


Morgan can't believe her ears and laughed. She laughed  until her sides hurt and there were tears on her eyes." I--we, we had been fools, being bothered over nothing!"


Morgan then put her forehead to Shannon's--when she thought they will be separated again, they will actually be together and they will leave this place to a new school! 


"Have you packed?" 


"Yes. I told you, I would have asked you to runaway tonight." 


"But where will we go?"

 
"Anywhere!"

 
Morgan laughed. "Anywhere is fine. As long as we are together." 


***


The two were sitting down on a run down sofa while Mrs. Burnett was pacing to and fro. 


"I dunno how this school has chosen you, or where on earth is  this, sos.. did you send out applications without telling us?" 


Morgan shook her head. "No, mistress, we're 11,Ma'am how can we do that?" 

Shannon snickered, earning a glare from the orphanage director. 


A car stopped in front of the orphanage, not really the latest model but actually it looked like it seen the hard times. Mrs Burnett hmmped and muttered something like what kind of headmistress of a school drive a car like that.


"Good morning. I am Hermione Granger, headmistress of Hogwarts. I expect you are Mrs. Burnett? Good day!" 


Without waiting for Mrs Burnett's reply she turned to the two kids. "And you must be Morgan and Shannon?Nice to see you kids. Uhm, you can say goodbye to your guardian and let's hustle.. We're still going to Diagon Alley to buy your things!" 


Mrs Burnett looked at this woman like she grew three heads. 


"Wait! How would I know you're not kidnapping them?!" 


The woman smiled fondly at the two of them. "They can send you letters to assure you they will be well-taken cared of." 


"But they dont have money! I can't give them money to buy their things!" 


The two kids shoulders slumped. There's only few money to go around the orphanage and of course  they can't receive anything from the orphanage. They looked up to Hermione. But the headmistress just waved her hand. 


" Money won't be a problem, they... Could have a what do you call that... Scholarship? Yes, a scholarship. Everything will be free." 


Mrs. Burnett hug the two kids. "Okay, off you go. Be good there and study hard."

 
The two nodded and carried their bag. They were almost on the car when Mrs. Burnett called Hermione. "Uhm, Mrs Granger, you won't return them if, they do, or like, happens something weird, right?" 
Hermione flashed her with a grin. "Don't worry. We deal with weird everyday. Nothing really surprises me much these days." 


And then they were off, to embark on a journey Morgan nor Shannon had ever imagined.