Two

Bird of Paradise

So ing awkward.

 

The first time they meet is on an early Tuesday morning. Jungkook is flipping through all the gears in the shed, sorting out boards and kits of different types, preparing for the four customers of the morning lesson.

 

He startles when a tap lands on his shoulder, and whips around to see an equally wide eyed stranger standing behind him. The oversized black tee hangs loosely over his slender frame. Long grey pajama pants billows underneath.

 

Jungkook suddenly remembers Namjoon’s careful instruction, “He said he doesn’t want to be disturbed. So please try to stay out of his way. We can make our first guest happy, right JK?”

 

Right.

 

Jungkook clears his throat and speaks, “Sorry about the noise, hope I didn’t wake you up. I promise I’m done soon.”

 

The stranger blinks fast, and responds, “It’s fine, I um, just wanted to say hi. We didn’t get to meet yesterday…”

 

Jungkook eyes him hesitantly, “Hi. I’m Jungkook, Namjoon probably explained already. I just need to load everything into the truck, five minutes tops.”

 

The stranger smiles and bites his lips, “My name is Taehyung. No rush, really.”

 

They stand together, blinking at each other awkwardly. Jungkook wants to say something, anything to break the silence, but remembering Namjoon’s instruction, he makes up his mind, “So, off I go.” He grabs four boards and nods before striding away.

 

After that, they meet a few more times around the house, always short and to the point. Taehyung turns out to be a discreet guest, barely any noise through the thin wall between the two suites. It’s only a week, Jungkook reminds himself. He’ll be gone before long. Namjoon says he seems to be satisfied with the stay. As with all things Jungkook is unsure of, he relies on Namjoon’s judgment and tucks it to the back of his mind.


 

————



 

It’s always silent under water.

 

How he loves it, being swept under as the wall of water crashes onto him punishingly. A blissful fizzle floods his ears, low static sound that drowns out the noise of the world. And the way his vision blurs and becomes one with the deep azure, drawn towards the depth of the abyss. But inevitably, his head lifts up towards the light, as his torso pulls up up up.

 

Jungkook’s head breaks through the surface, and suddenly all the sounds return - the gust of the wind, seagulls squawking in the distance, and the waves slosh and splatter around him, white tips dissipating into foam.

 

His arms paddle forward forcefully, and he rips around to scan the ocean. Finally, as his feet graze by coarse gravel underwater, he finds what he’s looking for - the bright red wetsuit and tiny head bobbing in and out of water. There might’ve been a scowl on the petite face, pushing an inward chuckle out of Jungkook. He pulls his board from underneath, and starts to stride towards shore.

 

The afternoon sun is launguid, patches of cloud casting blurred shadows on shore. Jungkook shakes the water off his hair, powder blue surfboard cold under his arm, the floating turtle on the back a little scratched up on the belly.


Namjoon is seated behind the white plastic table outside of the house, with letters and a laptop in front of him haphazardly. But as usual, his eyes are glued to the small notebook in hand, the curled up pages fluttering in the wind.

Jungkook sets his board down next to one of the flimsy plastic chairs, and grabs the thin beach towel on the table, “If you weren’t gonna work on the bills anyways, should’ve just left them inside the house so they don’t get wet.”

“They won’t.” Namjoon murmurs, and looks up with crescent eyes, “But this charcoal stuff does turn out to be super messy.”

Jungkook eyes his notebooks warily, “Prolly because you need a new book, this one’s too small. All the pages will be stained before you even get anywhere.”

A sheepish smile, “A bigger book won’t make me draw better. But I’m sure with practice, it’ll get easier, right?”

The lines on the pages are rough and jagged, like waves and shadows twining and shifting. Jungkook hums, “Looks good though.”

“You’re obligated to say that.”

Jungkook clicks his tongue noncommittally. His eyes dart upwards, toward the curtained window on the second floor of the house. Namjoon follows his gaze and comments, “He went out when you guys were in the water, I think. Hard to be sure, ‘cause he’s always so quiet.”

 

Jungkook wipes his face and dripping hair, “That’s good, right? For a tenant.”

 

“Yeah, I suppose. But I keep feeling like we’re not being friendly enough. He must be lonely, no? A stranger on the island, eating by himself all the time…”

 

Jungkook tilts his head, and is about to respond when he hears the hurried footsteps from behind. He turns around, and a scarlet red surfboard much smaller than his drops by his feet with a resounding thud.

“I did everything you said! I went far, got up at the crest quickly every single time and just carved straight down. And nothing! Couldn’t keep in the barrel, couldn’t even stay up for more than 5 seconds. Just like everyday before this, I . I frigging at this.” The voice is high pitched and harsh.

Jungkook eyes the little girl in front of him impassively, “You didn’t . Just like everyday before this, you’re practicing. And watch your language.”

 

A low growl, wounded and feral. Jungkook picks up Yoonji’s board and sets it next to his neatly. When he finally looks at her again, a muted sigh escapes him. The little girl stares into his eyes, and squeezes out a stiff response, “Sorry.”

 

Namjoon pushes himself out of the chair, “Don’t be so tough on her. It’s only been two months. Yoonji, it takes time. All things worth dreaming for take time and effort.” He steps towards her, and grabs the towel from Jungkook’s hand to wrap around her shoulders, “You’re doing very well, I’m proud. We all are.”

 

She pulls her head away, drops of water splattering from her hair onto Namjoon’s faded Sublime t-shirt. “Don’t treat me like a baby. And I should’ve started this way earlier.”

 

Jungkook clears his throat and chimes in, “Your dad wanted to wait until after your seventh birthday, and I agree with him. You’re too small, the waves can be very strong-“

 

Yoonji rips the towel off her shoulders and shoves it back into Jungkook’s hand, “But you’ve always said surfing is not about strength. It’s all skills and patience.”

 

“Yes. But it’s different for a kid.”

 

An eye roll, “Just say it. Say you guys don’t want me to surf the Pe’ahi. All these excuses for the same one reason, always the same reason.”

 

Jungkook sighs and stiffens his jaws.

 

“Hey, hey. You two. Break it off, ok?” Namjoon nudges Jungkook by the shoulder, then turns towards Yoonji, “Nobody said you can’t go to Pe’ahi. But we want you to be ready. And Jungkook has taught you well, hasn’t he?”

 

Yoonji bites her lips and lowers her head, but a muted yes whispers out.

 

Jungkook hesitates, and just when he’s about to speak again, there’s clamour in the distance.

 

They look up and spot an old Honda Civic zipping down the gravel road, shrouded in a cloud of dust.

 

Going a little fast for comfort, Jungkook purses his lips and bends down to pick up Yoonji’s board. Namjoon has already stepped over with a wide grin plastered on his face, “Early. Must not be busy in town.”

 

Jungkook pulls Yoonji back, who’s still pouting with a sullen look on her tanned face. The car turns beside the house, and fluffy black bangs peek out of the window before the car pulls to a full stop, “Hey, brat, shouldn’t you be in school?”

 

“Don’t call me that.” Yoonji frowns, “They let us out early.”

 

A raised brow, as Jin steps out of the car and slams the door, “They seem to let you out early an aweful lot. I pick you up here more than at school…”

 

“And I still at it…” the grumble is under her breath, but Jungkook hears it. He walks towards the back of the car, and speaks up, choosing his words carefully, “The fouth time you rode the wave, your form was better. Knees bent, torso forward, eyes in the right direction. I saw it, you are improving.”

 

He lifts open the rusted trunk, and gives the small red board another shake before dropping it in. Slamming the trunk down, he sees, to his relief, a tiny smile spreading on Yoonji’s flustered cheeks. Her voice is still dispirited, but lighter, “It won’t be fast enough. Already October… need to be ready in another two months.”

 

“Hey! Didn’t we talk about this already? No Pe’ahi, not in two months, not ever.” Jin’s fingers comb through her tangled wavy hair, and he sneaks a I’m-so-done-with-this eye roll towards Namjoon.

 

Before Yoonji’s expression darkens again, Namjoon inches closer to Jin, eyes pleading, “You know what we really need to talk about right now? What’s for dinner today. I’m honestly starving. How about fish? You make the best lomi lomi.”

 

Jin eyes him warily, but relents, “I do, lucky for you.” He flicks his wrist at Yoonji, “In the car, not another word. And put the towel on the seat before you sit down.”

 

She grumbles petulantly, but trudges to the back door. Namjoon nudges Jin in the arm coyly, “Hey, this reminds me: do you know why surfers prefer their lomi lomi cold?”

 

Jon’s face is still stiff, “Why?”

 

Namjoon speaks the words carefully, “Because they hate using the microwaves. Wait…” he scratches his head with pinched brows, “did I mess up the joke? I did, didn’t I…”

 

A soft chuckle escapes Jin, and he pats Namjoon on the back gently, “No, it was brilliant, love.”

 

Jungkook watches as Namjoon’s eyes crinkle, and cheeks begin to glow like a sunflower blooming towards affection.

 

It’s a good look on him, on both of them actually. Jungkook watches as Jin’s hand lingers on Namjoon’s back, rubbing comforting small circles. Such a simple gesture that shrouds the two of them in a tiny bubble reserved for two.

 

Jungkook clear his throat and look away, “I - um, I should go get ready for my thing tonite.”

 

“Yes, your thing!” Namjoon blinks and exclaims, “Do you want us there? You got new songs?”

 

A tiny head peeks out of the car window and whines, “I wanna go too-“ only to be cut short by Jin’s glare.

 

When Jin turns to face Jungkook, his eyes are soft again, “Namjoon can definitely make it, dinner should be fast, as long as he stays away from the kitchen.”

 

“It’s fine, just the usual, no need for a crowd. I have some new stuff but haven’t decided which ones to play.”

 

Jin hums, “I’m sure you’ll have fun, as always. Don’t pick up too many drunk tourist chicks. And-“ he eyes Jungkook’s tanned chest, “put on a shirt already, will ya.”

 

Jungkook chuckles and rolls his eyes.

 

——


 

The light is pale and bright, cocooning the space around him, fading out the rest of the world.

 

None of it out there concerns him anymore, not the people scattered around the pub, nor the occasional car passing by outside on the street.

 

Nothing else matters in this moment. It's just him and the guitar, bringing a song to life.

 

Jungkook strums through all the strings once habitually, and exhales. His thoughts distill, under the bright white light that grants him the moment. Slowly, gently from under his fingers, the melody drifts out, calling for the words to tumble out of his parted lips.

 

I remember days when we were smiling

When we laughed and sang the whole night long

And I will greet you as I find you

With the sharing of a brand new song

Last night I dreamt I was returning

and my heart called out to you

To please accept me as you'll find me

Me kealoha ku'u home o Kahaluu

 

The melody is sweet and repetitive. He remembers the first time he heard this song, the old vinyl scratchy and static on Jin's vintage blue Viking record player. The melancholy has stayed with him since then, trickled down through generations of drifting musicians, before making a home in his uncertain heart.

 

Last night I dreamt I was returning

and my heart called out to you

But I fear you won't be like I left you

Me kealoha ku'u home o Kahaluu

 

Jungkook’s eyes are half lidded, head bowed, as he stretches out the guitar riff at the end, letting it stir up forgotten thoughts that flicker and settle. His hand rest on the guitar long after the song ends, the phantom vibration thrumming under his skin.

 

Scattered applause from the audience snaps him out of the trance. He squints and can make out the outline of Jimin behind bar, giving him an enthusiastic thumbs up. Someone else by the bar though, a tall slender figure in black, leaning in stiffly.

 

No, it can't be. Jungkook frowns, and decides to keep going. Time for some Kui Lee.

 

Four songs later, he's done. Grabbing the guitar and giving the scattered crowd a small nod, Jungkook gets up from the wooden stool on the makeshift stage, and heads towards the bar. A beaming Jimin welcomes him loudly, "Great job, dude. I recommend adding O Kahaluu to your regular setlist."

 

"I don't have a regular setlist." Jungkook takes stock of Jimin’s pink glistening lips and the subtle kohl smudge by his eyes. One of those nights.

 

"Aww, c'mon, you're here practically every other Thursday." Jimin fills an empty glass with ice, and pulls out a bottle from the bar, "What did you think, Taehyung? You said Taehyung, right, cutie? Whatcha think of our resident musician."

 

"Um...uh..." The tall slender figure stammers.

 

"Stop bugging your customers for entertainment." Jungkook retorts, "And in case you forget, this is open mic night. Anyone can sing, not a resident thing."

 

Jimin makes a face, tops up the drink with tonic water before sliding it over, "One day when you're famous man, I want my referral cut. One day."

 

Jungkook grumbles, but Jimin walks away to tend to another customer. The soft voice pipes up again beside him, "He's right you know."

 

Jungkook turns to face the tall man, who shifts his feet and continues, "It was good."

 

Jungkook thinks of the few fleeting moments they’ve spent with each other. The pale skin, eyes that are always darting away.

 

Taehyung.

 

"I'm not stalking you, I swear. I was just walking around town and heard music from outside..." Taehyung adds.

 

Jungkook eyes his flushed ears, and responds, "Of course."

 

He chugs the drink down, feeling the pleasant sting of the double gin, before responding carefully, “You don’t have to explain, it’s open to all. I’m glad you liked it.”

 

“Yeah.” Taehyung fidgets by the corner of his eye, “Well, um, good to bump into you. I’ll - I’ll see you later then.” He’s backing up slowly, lips worrying between his teeth, like a hedgehog retracting into safety.

 

For a brief moment, Jungkook considers staying silent. But something about the figure, swimming in an oversized black tee, eyes cast downward. Something frail and closed off, that makes Jungkook want to say something.

 

He pats on the wooden bar stool next to him instead, “Have a drink at least. Jimin can be a bit too much, but he does make some good stuff.”

 

Silence. Taehyung gulps, and just when Jungkook thinks he’s going to bolt off without uttering another word, his eyes flicker and brighten. He plops down on the stool, fingers busy rotating the ring on his left hand.

 

The ice hisses in the glass, as Jungkook brings it to his lips again, “What you want?”

 

“Um…” the voice is timid but deep, “Same as yours, I guess? Smells nice.”

 

Jungkook eyes him, and notices the redness of his ears returning.

 

“The gin. The gin smells nice.” Taehyung adds hurriedly, blinking fast and averting his gaze.

 

Definitely an introvert, Jungkook concludes inwardly.

 

———

 

Most definitely not an introvert.

 

Nope.

 

Jungkook stares at the row of empty glasses in front of them, grimacing at the creeping headache. The loud giggles from Jimin fill the space next to him, as Taehyung waves his hands around while leaning into the bar, “I liked it! Honestly, it was decent coffee!”

 

“Oh my god, only tourists drink the vile stuff from Eveline’s. Auntie May prolly never washes those cartons! You need to go to Sunny’s deli north of the highway instead. I can’t be seen with you and that gross yellow paper cup in your hand, ever!”

 

“Oh stop it.” A weak hand wave, “Coffee is coffee. You guys just like to judge the outsiders. Every town’s the same.”

 

“JK, say something.”Jimin turns to him and exclaims, cheeks flushed and eyes sparkling, “How many days has he been in town? Four, five? And he’s already got us figured out. ‘Every town is the same’. Ha, I wish Halaina is like the other places, I can only wish.”

 

“And that’s what they all say.” Taehyung adds with a nod.

 

Jimin glares teasingly, “Ohhh, I like you Tae, but at what price. I can’t let you slander my town in my own bar like this. I think you need to do a shot for being so rude.”

 

Taehuyung shrugs, head plopped up with one hand on the bar.

 

Jimin pulls out three new shot glasses, and adds, “Wait, you still haven’t told me what you’re in town for. I swear every time I ask you a question, you go into this huge tangent and we all forget where we started…”

 

He opens the bottle of Don Huevo again, the pungent scent wafting out immediately, “JK, help me out here. Say something.”

 

“What are you in town for, Taehyung?” Jungkook echoes.

 

A noncommittal hum, but Taehyung answers eventually, “Vacation, like everyone else.”

 

“What’s your day job then? What you vacating from?” Jimin places the dark green lime wedges on top of the glasses.

 

Another pause, “Computer stuff.”

 

“Oh. You do not look the part. Well, maybe a little bit, but still… so you program or something?”

 

Taehyung’s gaze is fixed on the shots, faraway look on his face, “More like research, I suppose… Finding stuff.”

 

“Hmm.” Jimin makes a face, and passes the drinks to both of them, “Well, I hope it’s been a nice vacation so far then.”

 

“It has. Peaceful. I’m grateful for it.” Taehyung eyes Jungkook and gives him a tiny nod.

 

Jungkook searches for the sarcasm between the lines, but Taehyung’s features are soft, genuine. Long lashes cast faint shadows on his flushed skin, fluttering with each flustered breath.

 

“Good. You still have to do the shot though, and so does Jungkook. Dude, I hope you’re too drunk to work tomorrow because I sure can use some extra sleep.” Jimin cards through his blonde hair.

 

“You don’t have to say yes when I call you.” Jungkook responds.

 

“What, and let Namjoon make a fool of himself in front of all the tourists? We both know that’s not an option. God, I swear he’s the last person that should own a surf shop.” Jimin grab the salt shaker, and the edge of his hand in one fluid swipe.

 

Jungkook glares at him with a warning glint in his eyes, but lifts his glass and clicks it with Taehyung’s, “He’s not that bad.”

 

Jimin gives him a knowing look, but turns to face Taehyung, “Annnyhow, what do we drink to this time, hmm? How about, to your pretty pretty eyes, Tae? Gosh even your hands are so pretty.” He leans over the bar and inches closer.

 

Jungkook coughs and swats Jimin away, “Ok, I think that’s enough.”

 

An eye roll, “This one here’s never been good at sharing, lemme tell ya.”

 

A giggle, “I’m not an object, there’s no sharing.” He lifts his head and the shot disappears.

 

Jungkook eyes him warily, and follows suit. The mix of tequila and lime juice explode in his mouth, but he gulps it all down resolutely.

 

“Another round?” Jimin his lips and gestures at Taehyung, only to receive a hurried head shake in return.

 

“It’s only 10.” Jungkook pushes the shot glasses back towards Jimin.

 

“Exactly, just getting started.” Jimin flicks back his bangs, eyes staying on Taehyung, “So, has JK taken you to any fun spots yet? The diving cliff, half moon bay for snorkeling, hiking in the craters, anything?”

 

“Um, I’m not that active, in case it’s not obvious already.”

 

“Aww, you don’t have to be active to have fun around here. I mean, the beach in front of your house, for example. It’s not the prettiest, but the reefs are right off shore, and so serene. You can just float, and wait for the fishes to come to you. Olowalu, you know, older than the town, than any of this…magical...” Jimin’s words slow down, as his gaze moves up and by the door.

 

Jungkook turns and spots two girls walking towards the bar, stilettos clicking on the wooden floor, tight dresses a tad too slinky to be local. Jimin exchanges a look with him, his brow arching subtly. Jungkook lifts his head, and returns with a noncommittal hum. Jimin takes another look at the giggling girls who are now hovering by the bar a few stools away, and sighs dramatically, “Hmm, alright. I agree, JK, when occasion calls.” He throws a wink at Taehyung, and strides away towards the girls, the glint in his brown eyes shifting and turning smouldering.

 

“Is he always this, on?”

 

Jungkook glances at the girls who are fluffing their hair and biting their lips at Jimin, and confirms, “Pretty much. Sleepier during the day, but yeah, pretty much.”

 

Taehyung nods, and scratches under the exposed collarbone through the opening of his loose tee. Blotches of pink flush under his fingers as he scratches, faint and delicate. Jungkook rips his gaze away when he catches himself staring.

 

“So he helps you with the surfing classes.” Taehyung comments.

 

“If we get a few more people for the day. And don’t listen to Jimin, Namjoon does help out also. He’s good with the beginners, the ones that are not comfortable in water.”

 

“I bet. Maybe I should ask him to teach me then. I do have a few days left.” Taehyung dips his head.

 

“Well, I can teach you too.”

 

“It’s ok, you’re always busy.”

 

Jungkook watches as Taehyung runs his finger along the edge of the bar. A mysterious hedgehog that’s hot and cold. Bemused, he teases, “Am I? It’s just one tiny surf shop you know, I run like two classes a day.”

 

Taehyung blinks and doesn’t respond. They let the silence fall between them for a beat, until a tiny yawn escapes Taehyung’s lips, “I should start to head back, it’s dark out.”

 

“Want a ride? My truck is in the alley.”

 

A head shake, “Nah, you stay and have fun. The crowd needs their resident musician.”

 

“Never mind, no ride if you’re gonna make fun of me like that.”

 

A small chuckle, Taehyung’s eyes are hooded, hiding the redness, “I wanna walk anyways, I’ll be fine.”

 

———

 

It’s past 11 when they stagger out of the pub and towards Main Street. The night sky is clear, with stars scattered about the velvety dark canvas. Taehyung tugs on his tee and speaks, “Now you’re just stalking me.”

 

“You shouldn’t walk back by yourself, especially in a new town.” Jungkook pulls up the guitar strap on his shoulder.

 

A soft scoff, “It’s been five days. I’ve been going back and forth by myself this whole time.”

 

“It’s dark. And you did all those shots.”

 

Taehyung opens his mouth, but the words don’t fall. Instead, they walk, Jungkook staying half a step behind.

 

Taehyung’s shoulders droop, strides unhurried. Sometimes his hand reaches out to the side languidly, fingers grazing by leaves from a shrub, or painted bars of a wrought iron fence along the sidewalk.

 

“What did your song mean, Jungkook?” The voice is muted, whispering out the name casually, as if they know each other far more than acquaintances. “Something about a town. The chorus was Hawaiian.”

 

“Me kealoha ku'u home o Kahaluu. It means my dearest home Kahaluu.”

 

“Ah.” Taehyung comments, “Sentimental.”

 

“Yeah, it’s a song about being afraid that home no longer feels like home.”

 

“How true. Home’s just a feeling. And when you’ve been gone for too long, sadly, feelings are the first to go.” Taehyung’s words slur a little, and Jungkook can’t be sure if it’s the alcohol or something deeper, more muddled.

 

The night air is crisp, as they stride towards the shore in sync. Taehyung pipes up again, “I heard you’re also a transplant in this town.”

 

“Did Joon tell you?” Jungkook responds, earning an ambiguous shrug. He responds, “Well, still feels like home though, feels like I belong here.”

 

“Namjoon tried to explain how you’re related, I forget.”

 

“He’s my second cousin once removed, although my great grand uncle never married so the legitimacy of the title is questionable.’

 

“Wow, that sentence just gave me a headache, promise you will never repeat that again.”

 

Jungkook grins. They turn left on main, as the waves echo behind closed shop fronts, peeking through alleyways and overgrown hedges of frangipani.

 

A paper moon dusts faint shimmer on Taehyung’s drooped shoulders, as he mumbles about his quest to find a proper spam musubi restaurant in town, words hurried, with the scent of booze radiating off his flushed skin.

 

Jungkook walks closer and cuts him off, “You’re doing it all wrong. Spam musubi is not a restaurant food. Check 7-11. Heck, Yoonji can prolly make it for you.”

 

“Oh.” Taehyung’s pink lips pucker into a dispirited pout.

 

They walk for another ten minutes or so, crossing the intersection where the concrete pavement blends into crunchy gravel, and the view to their right opens onto the endless black waves of the sea.

 

Taehyung stares into the distance in a trance, “It’s nice to be so close to the water, you guys are lucky.”

 

“I guess. But like you said, I made the decision to come here.” Jungkook spots the gentle gleam in his eyes, and adds after a hesitation, “Ok, you can’t make fun of me for this.”

 

“Make fun of what?” Taehyung looks up, Jungkook’s cheeks flush.

 

“That I - I grew up in suburb Pittsburgh, the furthest place from the ocean and surfing.”

 

“And you came here because of Namjoon?”

 

“Well... I always knew I wouldn’t stay in Pittsburgh...” he stammers, and looks down to kick up the gravel, “When I heard I had a distant relative in Hawaii, of all places, I had to look him up. It sort of all fell into place, the home, the passion. So yeah I was lucky.”

 

“Aww.” Taehyung’s voice is fond, “Serendipity. Some people search all their life, you know...”

 

The rhythmic waves comfort Jungkook, making him blurt out, “And you?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Where are you from, Taehyung? Where’s home?”

 

Taehyung’s eyes turn a little hollow, and the smile by his lips is small, “Here and there, you know, I’ve been around.”

 

Jungkook turns silent. But of course.

 

He’s seen his fair share of drifters, tourists that seek refuge from their lives. They come with dazed eyes and empty laughters, binging on booze and the idyllic timelessness of the land, until their skin is sunburnt, body satiated and spent.

 

He gets it. In a way, they are all alike, searching for something they can’t name yet also can’t live without. Acting on an impulse because being stagnant, being stuck in the same old way would mean death.

 

Drifters come and go. And what’s the use of talking about the past, really. Like two straight lines that intersect before parting ways again, sometimes people share a fleeting moment. Then it’s gone.

 

Jungkook snaps out of his thoughts, just in time to grab Taehyung by the tee and pull him away from bumping into the bigger rocks next to the water.

 

“Hey, not the tee! It’s my favorite.” Taehyung exclaims, Jungkook rolls his eyes.

 

A lightweight.

 

“And you say you could’ve walked back on your own. I could just see the headline on the evening news - Foreign Man Found Dead On Beach, Guest of Turquoise Surf Shop.”

 

“Free promo.” Taehyung shrugs, night breeze fluffing his messy brown hair, “And really, not the worst way to go when you think about it.”

 

Jungkook rolls his eyes again. Namjoon is clumsy but at least means well. This one, well, this one’s just crazy.

 

“I love these rocks.” Taehyung gravitates towards the waterline again, gazed fixed on the black boulders beside the road, some submerged in the water, “Are they from the volcano?”

 

Jungkook nods, staying close to him, “Probably why the developers tend to buy land north of the town instead. I think our great grandparents cleared out the patch in front of the house, but otherwise this whole section is just rocks and jungle. People like the sandy wide beaches and the fancy hotel bars. Rustic gets boring real quick.”

 

“I think it’s lovely.” There’s moonlight in Taehyung’s bright eyes, “Waking up with nothing but the sound of the ocean and your own thoughts. The feeling that this place could’ve looked very similar hundreds of years ago.”

 

“You should talk to Jin then, you’d like it. He’s got so many stories about the past, who knows where he gets them from. But they sure are interesting.” Jungkook looks beyond and searches in the distance, “The tides aren’t as high today, we might be able to see it…”

 

“See what?”

 

Jungkook tugs on his sleeve, “C’mon, lightweight, I’m pretty sure we haven’t walked past it yet. Keep up.”

 

They stumble for another few minutes, Taehyung whining about needing to know where they’re heading, and Jungkook just dragging him along, refusing to “have a guest on the headline for the wrong reason.”

 

“Dude, stop sounding so old. Nobody watches the news anymore. And my feet are hurting, this body-“ Taehyung waves his hand at himself frantically, “-this body is not made for the great outdoors-“

 

His words trail off, as Jungkook points to what’s in front of them. The gravel road slopes down towards the ocean on the side, as more boulders gather along the shoreline. Waves smash against the black glistening rocks, and foamy water slosh in between.

 

“I’ve seen this already. I mean it’s more rocks, yes, but…”

 

Jungkook points into the water, “Do you see the big piece in the water though, the one that’s flatter.”

 

It’s more than twenty feet in length, wide and polished, just above the water level. As they tiptoe between the wet pebbles and step closer, it becomes more imposing with each step, like a black throne rising out of the ocean, empty and waiting.

 

“What is this?” Taehyung whispers.

 

“Well, according to Jin-“ Jungkook stares at it, one hand against Taehyung’s arm, supporting him absently, “- according to him, this is a healing rock used by old Hawaiian royalties.”

 

“Hmm, like it heals illnesses?”

 

“Correct. Supposedly, if you approach it with a sincere heart, it will choose to grant you the miracle of healing. Jin said the last two Hawaiian kings were both brought here after birth, to ensure a long and healthy life.”

 

“Did it work?” Taehyung strides closer.

 

Jungkook tilts his head, “Well, that was a pretty vague wish. I mean, life is far more treacherous than just health.”

 

“True, but still, the thought is beautiful.” Taehyung murmurs, and takes a step into the water.

 

Jungkook bolts up, “Hey, what you doing? Your shoes!” He pulls on Taehyung’s sleeve.

 

Taehyung raises his hand to stop him, “It’s ok, I won’t go far, I promise.”

 

Jungkook shakes his head, “God you’re even more drunk than I thought.” He looks down at Taehyung’s black converse that’s fully submerged in water now, “I swear if you slip and crack your head, I’m gonna just walk away. I can only work with drunk for so long…”

 

“It’s fine, calm down. Give me a moment, please.” Taehyung’s eyes are focused on the rock. His feet stop just short of it, water sloshing around his now wet jeans at mid-thigh. Gingerly, his hand reaches out to touch the smooth surface of the massive rock.

 

Palm down, arm extended, long fingers slide across the surface slowly, reverently.

 

Sombreness washes over his expressions, and his gleaming eyes hold a heaviness that Jungkook doesn’t understand.

 

They turn silent, letting the waves and the wind settle upon them. Finally Taehyung looks up and smiles, “Ok, done. My legs are cold.”

 

The moonlight drapes over his tall slender figure, as the shimmering waves curl against the rocks and his legs, sloshing, foaming. His smile is innocent, as if it’s just a casual stroll with an old friend.

 

Jungkook finds himself staring again. This time, instead of looking away, he steps towards Taehyung and offers his hand.

 

—————

 

The rest of the walk is uneventful. By the time they make it up the stairs and to Taehyung’s door, Taehyung’s jeans are still wet, his shoes squeaking slightly with each step.

 

“Maybe you were right. Maybe I shouldn’t have stepped into the water after all.” Taehyung murmurs, hand tugging on the fabric stuck on his thigh. Under the dim light of the one exposed bulb by the door, his shadow is stretched thin and frail.

 

He looks up and adds, “Well, thanks for keeping me alive, despite my best effort to be otherwise.”

 

“Any time.” Jungkook responds.

 

“So um, goodnight I guess.”

 

Jungkook nods, and heads towards the other door, “Go take a hot shower before you catch a cold.”

 

Taehyung doesn’t respond. But as Jungkook pulls out his key, he hears the voice piping up from behind him, muted and timid, “Um, do you want to come over?”

 

Jungkook’s hand pauses by the door.

 

The voice turns a little frantic and slurred, “Um I mean you don’t have to, it’s late, I prolly read everything completely wrong... Totally understandable, I’ll just - I’ll just see you tomorrow or maybe nev-“

 

Jungkook strides over and cuts him off, “Open up.”

 

Taehyung looks at him and stutters, “Ok - um ok…” He fumbles with the key, for what feels like forever. Jungkook stands next to him, gulping as he stares at how Taehyung’s hair droops over the top of his ear.

 

It looks soft. He wonders, with a thrumming heart, if it feels as soft to the touch.

 

The door finally creaks open, and Jungkook steps in after Taehyung. It’s dark and sparse inside. Jungkook thinks of the light switch by the wall, but Taehyung walks to the window and opens the curtain a little. Moonlight spills everywhere inside, outlining his silhouette in an icy glow. He toes his shoes off and steps back towards Jungkook, “Do I pretend to offer you a drink now? All I got is tap water…”

 

His head is dipped down, eyes downcast. Jungkook in a sharp inhale and reaches in, gently, carefully, with both hands, “Guessing you’re not showering…”

 

Taehyung traipses into his embrace, and shakes his head.

 

Jungkook suddenly regrets not drinking more. He hesitates, hands touching Taehyung’s back delicately. Taehyung whispers into his shirt, “I’m still leaving though in two days. I hope that’s ok, this is - well, you seem sweet, you really do. But this is- this is-“

 

“Yes…” Jungkook leans in and kisses his cold cheek, ending the rest of his sentence. His mind fizzles into a pleasantly silence, as his heart takes over and hammers impatiently against his chest.

 

Taehyung sighs, a small relieved sound that dissipates between them. His hands land on Jungkook’s arms, “So much muscle. You know, the whole time, I thought you were the brooding silent type…”

 

“Way to steal my line.” Jungkook’s lips linger on his skin gently, “Minus the muscle part.”

 

“I didn’t ask to be a twig.” A grumble.

 

“No, you’re…” Jungkook’s words are cut short when Taehyung dips into the kiss, sending a touch of warmth that spreads right through him.

 

You’re beautiful.

 

Soft everything. Soft lips, soft skin, delicate long fingers that loop around his neck weightlessly, and soft brown eyes hidden under fluttering lashes, keeping their secrets.

 

Jungkook’s hands travel up Taehyung’s back, tracing up his neck, before stopping to cup his face. Pale skin, warm from the alcohol, flushes a pretty smeared pink everywhere his fingertips press.

 

“You’re sure about this…” he whispers.

 

Taehyung pauses, but stays in the touch, “I wish I have the energy to shower, it really is cold.”

 

Jungkook scans his face, noting the slight pout and the half closed eyes. He sighs, “Let’s get you out of your wet jeans first.”

 

He tilts his head and nudges towards the bed. Taehyung steps over to sit on the edge. The jeans come off, Jungkook pulling the white cotton blanket to cover Taehyung’s exposed legs. They feel icy to the touch, Taehyung shivers as he crawls deeper into the single sized bed, “Feet cold too.”

 

Jungkook frowns, “I could go find a heater, this room doesn’t have much. I’m sorry.”

 

Taehyung smiles with crinkled eyes, “It’s ok, I’m fine. Relax.” He pats at the space next to him under the duvet, lips worrying between his teeth.

 

Jungkook s his khaki shorts. Shooting another look at taehyung, his blue short sleeved shirt comes off in one swift pull over the head. As he climbs under the blanket, Taehyung averts his gaze.

 

Faint light sheds through the narrow window close to them. Darkness hides all the small details of Taehyung’s expressions, and Jungkook finds that soothing in a way, the layer of blurred shadow that shields both of them.

 

Their legs brush under the blanket, Taehyung’s skin is cold indeed, but he’s not moving away. Jungkook wishes absently that he can warm him up somehow.

 

Taehyung turns and curls into him, black tee soft against Jungkook’s bare skin.

 

Something off about the pace.

 

Jungkook’s had his fair share of one night stands. Not frequent, but enough to know to go with the flow. Sometimes it’s urgent and blurred by the booze, other times glaring in the exposed unfamiliarity.

 

This, this is neither. Something reticent and coy about Taehyung, something unspoken.

 

Jungkook hesitates, but Taehyung surges up and kisses him with closed eyes. It’s languid and slow, drawing him in, making him chase back. His tongue swipes across Taehyung’s parted lips, and a soft exhale escapes, like an unfinished thought that’s inhaled by both of them.

 

A small flame flickers in Jungkook’s abdomen, tickling and swirling. His hands glide under Taehyung’s shirt, caressing his torso, mapping all the slopes and curves. They travel down to linger by his hips, and brush against the elastic of his boxer brief teasingly, over and over.

 

Taehyung’s cheeks flush, and Jungkook wonders if he looks the same in the dark, hazy gaze fueled by wet lips and radiating warmth.

 

His hand pushes into the small of Taehyung’s back, and their hips grind, making his breath hasten. Taehyung gasps, and Jungkook scans his expression, “Doing ok?”

 

Taehyung is silent. Jungkook’s hands pause, “Too fast?”

 

There’s no sound, but Taehyung stays next to him, torso a little stiff. Jungkook adds carefully, “We don’t have to - we can just, chill?”

 

He pulls the blanket up to cover Taehyung’s back, and feels Taehyung turn to face him, mouth dipping down to graze by his shoulder. Taehyung’s whisper in the dark is a little breathless, “No, I want to. I need- it’s been so long - I need…”

 

Taehyung’s legs tighten around his thigh under the blanket. The flame inside Jungkook flickers when Taehyung’s hip grinds against his skin.

 

Jungkook gulps and allows his restraint to slip. Their lips find each other in the dark, urgently, snuffing the words out between them, suffocating all the meandering thoughts with heat. Jungkook fumbles for Taehyung's boxer brief, pulling it off under the blanket. Taehyung's hands grasp through his hair, pulling mindlessly, searching for purchase as his torso presses into him.

 

Blood is rushing to Jungkook’s head, making his thoughts hazy. Taehyung's skin radiates heat now, long limbs tangling all over him, broken gasps incoherent and needy, blending into the distant echoing waves.

 

"Hold on." Jungkook rasps, and leans off bed to reach for the back pocket of his shorts, feeling the square outline of the hard plastic wrap.

 

He's met with Taehyung's eyes in the dark, a teasing smirk curling by his lips, "Always ready, I see."

 

Jungkook stutters as he moves back, "Shut it." Only to be met by a giggle.

 

"Do you do this a lot?"

 

Jungkook kisses onto his shoulder and mumbles, "No. You're lucky if it's not expired."

 

Another giggle, and Taehyung's hand finds his, taking the away from him, "Maybe I should be grateful one of us is prepared."

 

Jungkook watches as Taehyung rips open the packaging with his teeth. His eyes glisten dimly against the faint moonlight through the window, the tip of his tongue swiping across his lips. Taehyung's fingers reach for Jungkook's , sending a jolt straight through his body. He shivers, when Taehyung leans in and murmurs into his ear, "Well, if you're ready, then use me. Use me any way you want..."

 

Jungkook's hand reaches to card through Taehyung's tousled hair, feeling the soft strands under his fingers. He whispers, "Turn around."

 

Taehyung complies. Jungkook two fingers and eases them in, chest pressing into Taehyung's back. His lips trail the shell of his ear, breaths heavy, the flame flickering in this abdomen impatiently. A soft moan escapes Taehyung, as he writhes into the touch. Jungkook's fingers move slowly, teasing, probing. Taehyung's whimpers fall in a string, hip grinding into the bed mindlessly. Jungkook murmurs, "Ready?"

 

Taehyung hums, incoherent.

 

Jungkook leans into his back, and pushes his legs apart. As he enters from behind, they both gasp out loud, connected in the moment the sensations overwhelm their thoughts. Jungkook embraces Taehyung's body, and moves in slowly, little by little.

 

Warm, tight, and so ing good. Jungkook bites his lip and curbs the urge to speed up, "You good?"

 

"Uhuh..." The voice is muffled.

 

"I can slow down?"

 

"No, no, keep going. Please. , I need this so bad... Need to just..." Taehyung groans between erratic breaths.

 

Jungkook lifts up his torso, and grips onto Taehyung’s hip with one hand and in deeper, revelling in the delicious friction. His other hand finds his way towards Taehyung's member, it lazily.

 

Taehyung mewls out loud and moves into him, fingers and pulling into the sheets.

 

Hot, wet, tight

Faster, harder, closer

 

Jungkook picks up pace, and finds his urges taking over. The trepidation and hesitance recede to the back of the mind, and all that's left is hot breaths, broken moans, and the need for release. The need to chase it hard until everything snaps.

 

His hand grips onto Taehyung's member and harder, moving in sync with his hips. Taehyung moans and grunts into the mattress, "I'm - I'm - oh -"

 

Jungkook feels the body in his embrace stiffening, as Taehyung's whimpers turn low and ragged. He keeps his hand moving, until Taehyung becomes quiet and sinks into the bed.

 

Jungkook stills, and reaches to caress the back in front of him. Taehyung's head turns slightly, eyes hooded underneath sweat soaked bangs. A weary pat lands on Jungkook's thigh, "Keep going..."

 

Jungkook frowns, thinking of holding still, but his thoughts are clouded, each of Taehyung's movement sending tremors through his body. With a grunt, he relents and s back into it, hands pushing Taehyung's hips into the mattress. It all becomes a blur - the sweat beading down his skin, the soundless gasps escaping his lips - culminating, blinding, until it finally snaps and spills over.

 

Jungkook collapses onto Taehyung, panting, heavy and spent.

 

They lay together for a moment, feeling the pounding of their hearts next to each other. Jungkook's head swims in dizziness, as weariness takes over. He pushes out a murmur, "I - I'll get up... in a minute..."

 

Taehyung makes a sound that's half between a hum and a chuckle, but stays still. Jungkook droops his head down onto his back, and closes his eyes with a long sigh.

 

 

Taehyung wakes him up later in the night. The room is darker then, damp and with a draft blowing through the cracked open window. His kisses are drowsy and sloppy, like needs echoing through a dream. Jungkook ends up going back to his room to grab and lube. As with most parts of the night, the memory is hazy and fragmented, of messy hair, wet swollen lips, and soft brown eyes filled with secret thoughts.

 

Jungkook sneaks out before dawn breaks. He's thankful that Taehyung is either asleep or prefers to spare the moment of awkwardness as much as he does.

 

Some encounters, such as one night stands, are not meant for drawn out sentiments. Jungkook is ok with that.

 

He's not good with goodbyes anyways.