Ch.1/ It's been a while...

Butterfly

 

The messages stopped coming. I would check on your SNS every day to make sure you were healthy and happy.

It’s been a few years hasn’t it? Did you forget about me?

I want to know if you still feel the same for me.

 

 

 

 

 

“… Congratulations class of 2019!”

Finally, I’m done.

Now I can come back to see you. Are you still waiting for me?

 

I’m back home. Are you still here too?

This was where we walked together, the street where the cherry blossoms would fall and brushed the tops of our heads. This was where we first held hands. This was where you told me you loved me.

 

Am I childish for holding onto something for so many years?

 

“Hi, this is Yoon. It’s been a while can we meet?”

*seen*

 

 

 

 

It’s been about 3 days since I arrived in Gwangju and sent that text. I’ve been waiting for a response for 3 days. Was it the right number? Should I try again?

 

No, I shouldn’t think about it too much, I’m finally home after being gone for so long. I should explore the city and reconnect with some family and friends.

 

It had just rained and the sun was just a little over the horizon. The smell of the fresh rain was prominent and the air was moist. The early summer breeze was refreshing.

The beautiful city that I left years ago is still as beautiful as ever. The love I have for Gwangju never changed.

 

“Yoon!”

I was almost knocked off my feet. Bae Suzy, my longtime friend.

“I missed you so much, do you know how long I’ve waited?!” she said.

I laughed, “I know, I’m sorry I kept you waiting”.

 

“Yoon Yoon!”

We both looked over our shoulders, it was Seulgi. She was running up from over the hill.

“You’re late!” Suzy said.

“At least I got here, you should appreciate my efforts”, Sulgi said panting.

Her hands were on her knees and her head hung low.

 

“Let’s get going!” Suzy said.

We reconnected and went to the old places that we would always go to when we were young. The park we used to go to after school, the café down the street from Seulgi’s house and the station market. Euphoria rushed through my body.

 

 

 

The three of us walked through the busy station market.

“So Yoon, how was it like at the big shot university?” Seulgi asked.

I shrugged, “It was alright, I just hated being away from home”.

Suzy light punched my arm, “Whatever, Seoul is only 2 hours away! You could’ve came and visit us during your breaks”.

“I’m sorry, I got so caught up with school and work”, I said.

“Wow, that’s so Yoon!” Seulgi said giving me a thumbs up.

 

I’ve been away from home for about 3 years. After high school, I went straight to the big city and continued my studies in Psychology. Now that I’ve graduated, I’ve decided to come back home.

I’ve always been a studious person. My life revolved around only school. I would lock myself up and study all day. It was until I met Suzy and Seulgi that that all changed. They taught me how to enjoy life a little and friendship.

 

Before we realized, the sun was already beginning to set. We finally reached the end of the market.

“Well, I guess this where I leave. I have an early shift tomorrow at work. It was nice seeing you again Yoon, we’ll definitely hang out again when I’m free!” Suzy said.

She waved at Seulgi and I and walked across to the other side of the street.

 

“Do you need to leave soon too?” I asked Seulgi.

“Yeah, my boyfriend is on his way, I’ll just wait here,” she said looking at her phone.

 

“Boyfriend?”

Seulgi smiled, “He’s an old friend”.

“Really? How long has it been? Do I know this guy?”

“It’s been 2 years. You know him, we went to school together!”

 

“Seulgi!”

We heard a voice come from the left side. We both turned.

 

There,

he waved with both arms. His smile was bright and his eyes shined. I assumed he was her boyfriend with the way he gaze upon her from a distance.

My eyes widen, it couldn’t be. My heart was beating and my ears burned. Our eyes met and his smiled slowly faded.

Seulgi motioned him to come over to where we were standing and he made his way over.

“Do you remember Yoon?” she asked her boyfriend.

He awkwardly smiled, “Yeah, how’ve you been?”

 

I went silent. I didn’t know how to feel.

Sad, betrayed, hurt, happy, all these feelings, the good and bad rushed through me.

 

“It’s been a while… Hoseok”.