Chapter 5

Just One Dance

Hwang Eunbi knew she had been hanging out with a certain Jung Yerin too much when her mind immediately went there when Yuna had first said something suggestive. She swore she normally wasn't like that, it was all Yerin's influence!

What else were best friends for, but to bear the blame when things were convenient, or would that be inconvenient?

Eunbi swore her ears were still burning even though they were down by the river now, feeling the cool night air caress her face with the gentleness of a lover. Beer in one hand and chicken in another, it was like she was back in college again.

Next to her, Yuna munched happily on her chicken wing, humming some unknown tune deep in . Eunbi snuck a glance over at the other girl. Damn it, even her side profile is gorgeous.

Never mind that there was nothing strictly beautiful about anyone gnawing on chicken, but Eunbi knew she was doomed when she even found the sight adorable. It made Yuna look more down to earth and relatable, rather than the irresistible tease the woman had been all this time.

A gentle breeze rolled off the Han River, making Yuna shiver and take a gulp of beer. A sudden weight settled on her shoulders, and Yuna turned quizzically to look at the awkward Hwang Eunbi next to her.

“You looked cold.” Eunbi said defensively, taking a sip of her beer to hide her flusteredness. Yuna tugged at the jacket around her, a smile curving her lips.

“You’re sweet.”

Eunbi wanted to protest, but then stiffened up when Yuna scooted closer to her. Too close. Before the younger could react, she was already pressed up against the taller girl, half her jacket draped back over her.

“You’d get cold too, silly.” Yuna wiped off her oily fingers with some wet wipes, seeming completely comfortable with cuddling with someone who was almost a complete stranger. Granted, it was a cute stranger who had been nothing but sweet and almost chivalrous to her in all their interactions, so perhaps she did have some standards.

Eunbi, on the other hand, was having trouble focusing on well, everything in general. She was acutely aware of the skin of Yuna’s arm brushing up against her own, the warmth of the contact sending tiny thrills through every nerve ending. It was even enough for her to ignore that her uncovered half was starting to get goosebumps from the chill. Or were the goosebumps for something else? Eunbi decided she didn’t want to think too hard about that.

Yuna was tapping her heels idly on the stone steps, seemingly unbothered by the silence. Eunbi snuck another cautious glance over, but their closeness made the motion immediately apparent, because Yuna tilted her face over at the same time, their gazes clashing in the ambient night.

Pink patterned across Eunbi’s cheeks, but the dancer didn’t miss the light flush that tinted Yuna’s skin, as well as the minuscule swallow that moved the taller girl’s throat. Mildly emboldened by this and egged on by the combined effort of all the alcohol she had already consumed this evening, Eunbi leaned in, closing the distance until they were almost nose to nose with each other.

Yuna’s lips were temptingly close. This near to her, Eunbi could count the individual eyelashes, feel the soft exhale of breath from the slightly parted lips. It smelled of chicken, and suddenly Eunbi wanted to laugh, from adrenaline or nervousness she wasn’t sure, and was about to pull away when Yuna wrapped one arm around her waist to keep her there.

“Going somewhere?”

Now it was Eunbi’s turn to swallow nervously. She didn’t know where to put her hands, one was on her own knee, but the other was trapped between her own body and Yuna’s. The jacket might have fallen off sometime, but neither girl paid attention to it. It was warm enough between the two of them.

Her fingers were awkwardly splayed and Eunbi tried to keep them to herself, but then Yuna was leaning in and in a moment of gay panic Eunbi fumbled while trying to push away, which eventually ended up with her free hand landing on some very toned abs. On instinct, she totally felt Yuna up since her hand was already there anyway. It really wasn’t on purpose. But wow, those lines…

Yuna laughed, breaking Eunbi out of her totally not creepy move. The taller girl flicked Eunbi on the nose playfully.

“Your hands are cold. 

Eunbi withdrew her hand sheepishly and moved very rapidly to put some distance between herself and Yuna. Her heart was still pounding. What was she doing? What were they doing? Was Yuna going to kiss her earlier? Hell, did she want to kiss Yuna earlier? (Yes)

Choi Yuna was dangerous, Eunbi concluded grimly to herself. She needed more time and space to process this. They were moving too fast, and she didn’t know what Yuna was thinking. Was the girl just playing around? Just messing with her? Because it sure felt like she was being messed with.

Some distance would be good. Eunbi eyed Yuna warily, even as the taller girl stretched lazily like a languid panther. Yuna caught her gaze and smiled.

“Relax, I’m not going to do anything to you.”

Eunbi quietly added ‘mind-reader’ to the list of things Yuna probably was. Her defensive stance seemed to amuse Yuna, who picked up her forgotten can of beer and drained the last of it, making to toss it into the river at first, then changing her mind and stuffing it into the plastic bag that held the remains of their supper.

“Well, I had fun. It was nice hanging out with you, cutie.”

Yuna dusted off her jeans as she got up, scooping up Eunbi’s forgotten jacket that had fallen behind them. Eunbi stared blankly for a couple of seconds before she jumped to her feet as well, and almost flinched back when Yuna stepped in close to wrap the jacket back around her.

“Be a bit more careful around strange girls. You’re too nice, someone could take advantage.”

Eunbi stared mutely at Yuna, not quite believing her ears. The older girl patted her on the shoulders encouragingly, tossing a quick wink before jogging off at a quick trot.

Eunbi stood motionless for a minute or two before the rest of her brain caught up to her. Nice, Yuna said. Yuna said she was too nice. Yerin would have a field day with this, if she ever found out (she never will, God willing). Hwang Eunbi had been called many things, but nice was not one of them (Yewon would argue with this vociferously, she would have totally agreed with Yuna’s assessment).

“Goddammit.” Eunbi scowled and shoved her hands into her jacket. Her fingers came into contact with a scrap of paper, and she withdrew it from her pocket, confused.

A string of numbers and a swirling signature greeted her eyes. Eunbi zeroed in on the name and message, lips parting to form a tiny ‘o’ as she processed it.

See you around sometime

Yuna

Well , now what? Eunbi’s grip on the paper tightened, getting a sudden case of cold feet. While it was true that she had asked for Yuna’s number, she hadn’t really thought beyond the part where she might actually get it. Now she was going to have to call, right? They would see each other again, yes? When would be a good time to call? Now? Later? Tomorrow? In a few days?

If Eunbi could see herself right now, the nervous grinning was practically off the charts. Hell, if Yerin saw her now, she would probably throw the dancer into the river to cool her head off. Eunbi clutched the paper close to her chest and worried at her lip. This was new to her. She had absolutely no idea what to do or how to go about this. She was going to need help.

Guess I’m going to have to make that call to Yewon after all, huh?