Chapter 11

Just One Dance

“You’re really talented.”

Eunbi tosses Yuna a water bottle, and the taller girl catches it deftly with one hand, unscrewing the top and chugging it in one go. Eunbi pauses in her own drinking to admire the lines of Yuna’s neck running down to her lean, athletic body, and has to mentally slap herself to keep from staring harder. 

She’ll notice if you’re too obvious, fool.  

“And you’re an excellent teacher. Fierce, though. You must terrify a lot of newbies.” 

Yuna returns the compliment easily, a grin tugging at cheeks still flushed from the workout. It had been surprisingly challenging working with Eunbi, who automatically slipped into demonic instructor from hell the moment they got comfortable into a routine, though there were moments when Yuna managed to break her concentration when Eunbi had to come up close to her to correct a move. A few close calls there, when hands brushed a bit too close to sensitive areas or when they made direct eye contact within kissing distance. 

Yuna would readily admit that some of those might have been deliberate. She liked teasing the younger girl, and Eunbi always gave such wonderful reactions. She just couldn’t help herself. Who could?

“They deserve it,” Eunbi brushes it off airily, eyes wandering again as they took in the length of Yuna’s legs. How were they so long? The dancer knew Yuna was tall, but after the other woman had accepted her offer earlier and changed into some spare shorts and a tank top she kept around the studio for their session, it had been a constant distraction for poor Eunbi. I need to stop checking out her . Help. Why didn’t I keep spare sweatpants instead?

“My eyes are up here, Eunbi.” Yuna sounds amused as she stalks closer to her prey, who seemed vaguely hypnotized by the sway of the taller’s hips. Yuna was fully aware of the effect she had on Eunbi by now, and oddly enough, she didn’t feel bothered by the attention. Normally, she would avoid drawing that sort of looks off-stage, but with Eunbi, the stunned appreciation was more flattering than creepy. If it was the young dancer, Yuna didn’t mind at all.

“You should have been a model,” Eunbi replies in a snap, grasping quickly for a change of topic after getting busted for ogling. Her cheeks were burning, and she just knew that Yuna knew exactly what she was doing, and was now internally kicking herself for it. Oh my god what if she thinks you’re a creep? Aaaaaagh.

“That’s a first,” Yuna was smiling now, having stopped before she got close enough to make poor Eunbi hyperventilate. She wasn’t that cruel. “I don’t normally get that.”

“Why not? You’re gorgeous,” Eunbi replies reflexively, then snaps shut when she realizes what she just said. Yuna only laughs at that, stepping in to ruffle Eunbi’s hair fondly.

“Thank you, you’re not too bad yourself.”

Eunbi scowls, a defensive gesture meant to hide her own awkwardness, folding her arms in front of her chest. “Of course I am.” She puffs up proudly and strikes a pose shamelessly, drawing another chuckle from Yuna. Good, maybe that’ll distract her…

Perhaps sensing her awkwardness, Yuna mercifully goes with the flow for once, grinning at her antics. “As fun as that was, I really need a shower. I don’t suppose you could lead me there…?” The taller woman gives a helpless shrug, because despite Eunbi actually showing her where it was before, she still had absolutely no idea how to retrace her steps for the life of her.

“You really do need a guide in life…” Eunbi mutters with an eyeroll, turning to leave the room while making a gesture for Yuna to follow her. Yuna grins, shuffling closer to her.

“Are you volunteering?”

Eunbi chokes on her own spit at that, spluttering for a bit before turning to glare at the unrepentant Yuna, who was having way too much fun at her expense. The dancer huffs slightly, puffing her cheeks out with a tiny sigh.

“I don’t know…” Her voice was small, and Yuna almost didn't catch it. The older girl’s eyes soften a little though, reaching out to link arms with a startled Eunbi, a kind smile playing on her lips.

“It’s okay, I’m just messing with you,” Yuna elbows her a little, playfully. “You’re too cute, I can’t stop myself...but I’ll definitely stop if it upsets you, okay?”

Eunbi bites her lip, knowing that her ears were still a little red from having Yuna so close to her, but she couldn’t help the physical reaction now, could she? It was just so unfair that Yuna was being so understanding now, how was she supposed to stay away from her? 

“I meant it just now, you know, when I said you could be a model,” Eunbi moves away from giving an answer for now, knowing that she still wasn’t certain enough to tell Yuna to lay off or keep going -- either way felt like too definite an answer, and Eunbi wasn’t sure what she wanted from Yuna yet. She enjoyed the ambiguity between them, the tension of not really knowing, and the excitement of maybe flirting with someone who seemed coyly interested in her as well.

The thrill of it sent her heart thumping, and Eunbi found that she wanted more time with Yuna to enjoy this sensation, while giving herself the necessary time to figure out her attraction to the older woman. She wasn’t sure she was ready to commit yet, for all that she was hopelessly attracted to the gorgeous fool next to her. To really go for it was to admit that she was actually gay, and that was a conversation she hadn’t had with herself properly yet. 

She really needed to talk to Yewon again. And maybe Yerin too, this time. Her best friend might never stop making fun of her for this for the rest of her life, but Yerin could be surprisingly reliable when she needed to be. And of course, as the only completely uncloseted lesbian in their circle, it seemed wise to at least consult a professional (?) opinion. 

“Oh?” Sensing the younger’s hesitation, Yuna calmly sidesteps the issue as well, letting go of Eunbi’s arm but remaining by her side. She didn’t want to pressure Eunbi into anything. It had been too long since she made a new friend, and even if this never went anywhere, Yuna thought that it would be nice if they could at least remain friendly. She had missed this sort of interaction more than she thought.

The loss of warmth on her arm disappoints Eunbi more than she thought it would, but the dancer hides it well this time, pulling the abandoned arm closer to her torso with her other hand, vaguely crossing her arms in front of her body.

“I’m not a pro or anything, but when I saw you at the cafe that time, I wanted to take more pictures of you,” Eunbi confesses frankly, her mind wandering back to that moment. There was something about Yuna that had been perfectly at ease in that setting, and the photographer in Eunbi’s soul wanted to bring it out and explore it through more photos.

It wasn’t just about beauty or proportions, but just a general vibe Yuna had. It was a peculiar loneliness, and something in Eunbi ached to touch it, coax it out and frame it safely where they could put it away, instead of having it linger that way. Yuna had been ethereal in that moment, but somehow too sad. She wanted to capture it, and then seal it away, so it would never hurt her again.

It was a strange feeling to be confronted by, and Eunbi finds herself at a loss all of a sudden. Something about Yuna touched her deeply, and she wanted nothing more than to get to know her better, to understand what brought such sadness into her eyes, despite the apparent playfulness the older girl often displayed with her. There was so much more to discover, and photographer that Eunbi was, she wanted to examine it through the lens of her camera. Perhaps it would even give her the perspective she needed?

“You could have just asked,” Yuna sounds amused by Eunbi’s request. “I might never have modelled before, but if it’s you, I don’t mind giving it a try.” Her eyes twinkle a little mischievously then, and Eunbi eyes her warily, sensing an incoming jibe as the dancer instinctively takes a step back away from her.

“As long as it doesn’t involve anything too risque of course…”

“I’m not that kind of photographer!” Eunbi squawks, her cheeks reddening at the implication. She hadn’t even thought of that! Well, now that Yuna said it though...Eunbi waves away the thoughts before they could even fully form, deeply aware that the blush had spread down to her neck. Bad, bad brain. She did not need that.

“Whatever you say,” Yuna chuckles again, winking playfully at Eunbi as she walks by the tomato-faced dancer, flicking her forehead in passing before stepping into the washroom they had finally arrived at. “Just give me a call when you want me, I’ll be all yours if I’m not busy.”

Eunbi was fairly certain steam was coming out of her ears at this point, and she was almost only too grateful to see that vexing vixen disappear into the bathroom. Out of sight, but unfortunately, not out of mind. Eunbi lets out the breath she hadn’t even known she had been holding.

What was she going to do about Yuna? That impossible woman would be the death of her. But a part of her was still excited. She said yes. Ahhh! I need to find some free time…

They were making progress. Baby steps, but progress nevertheless. Eunbi beams almost foolishly at the entrance of the bathroom, then remembers she probably also needed a shower, but she most definitely did not want to go in there while Yuna was also around. Goodness knows what Yuna would do to mess with her again if she went in there now.

Eunbi sighs again. She was definitely going to need to talk to her friends about this soon...