Nightmare

Between life and death (there's you)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinyoung searched for Jaebum that evening. Seeing his silhoutte from afar, he quickened his paced. It was visible how Jaebum was fidgeting anxiously, his fingers tapping his knee and eyes darting aimlessly. The field is quiet and empty, the tranquility is clear from the faded loud laughters and shoutings from boys playing sports. Everybody had long gone home. Jaebum looked around him, eyes darting from one place to another, there's restless energy inside him that wouldn't stay still. The sunset glow casted a faint shadow on the ground and Jaebum eventually turn his gaze down to stare at it as if he was interested.

"Hey"

Jaebum's fingers stopped and his head snapped towards his voice. His eyes look up to find him, and for a moment Jinyoung thought his mind was playing tricks with him as Jaebum's face lit up visibly and he seems relieved. Then, slowly, almost deliberately, Jaebum smiled at him. The first unrestrained smile that was directed right into his face.

The kind of smile that hide away his irises and replace them with happy cresents that manage to knock air out of his lungs because of how beautiful it was. It's unreal, how much Jaebum makes him feel with just a simple gesture.

"Ahh, I thought you wouldn't make it today, Jinyoungie."

Jinyoung was stunned for a moment. His nickname rolling off so easily from Jaebum's tongue was dizziying. There's a weirdly satisfying feelings, probably the flutter of butterfly wings bubbling inside him.

"Were you like that because you were waiting for me?"
"I'm like what?"
"You were so fidgety just now."

Jaebum chuckled. "I guess so."

Jinyoung is trying very hard not to overreact. He can see how much effort it took Jaebum to flaunt that smile at him. Jaebum was trying, to be happy. To get rid of the burden weighing him down all this, to learn that he can look into people eyes and not feel pain, -that he can laugh and smile all he want. There's no need to dwell on the unknown.

And because of that, Jinyoung still didn't tell him of what little information he managed to get from Jackson. It just feels unfair, to wreck Jaebum's effort of finding happiness and stained it with the ugly things Jackson may have said out of anger. The truth feels insignificant and small next to it.


"I remembered something yesterday." Jaebum started quietly, as if he's not sure whether to tell it or not.

"Huh? What did you remember?" Jinyoung doesn't know why, but uneasi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter