Prologue

Life in Your Hands
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prologue

Fairytales always come with a happy ending (unless you are reading one of the fairy tales by the Grimm brothers... in which case, you might get a terrible ending), but in reality, nothing has the perfect ending. We start our life as a no one, live life to the fullest, become famous, or become infamous, but even if you make a mark on the world, you become a no one again in the end.

If you could see how your life laid out, wouldn't that be interesting?

You spin your straw in your coffee as you look outside at the rain. Your cat Byul mews as he hops onto your lap.

"Hey, pal," you chuckle.

You look outside again.

"Isn't it a perfect day to go outside and takes some photos?" You frown, "My schedule's finally free after weeks of working, but the rain ruined my plan..."

Byul mews again.

"Are you hungry?"

Byul hops off and runs towards the food bowl.

Of course.

You grab the box of cat food and pour food to the brim. Byul nudges your ankle as a sign of thanks. You look at the car keys on your table and then outside again.

"Well, it wouldn't hurt to take a few pictures, hmm?"

You pull out your phone out of your pocket.

"Hello, WooHyun? Photoshoot today?"

---

First stop: the cafe down the street. Without caffeine, you would definitely be a zombie. The cafe is packed with people avoiding the rain. You check your watch. Lots of time.

You look at the barista. Her name tag read "Hyun-Joo." Ah, she was Korean as well?

It's been a while since you've visited the motherland. Your family moved to America after you finished middle school. Still, your family was pretty adamant about keeping the culture. You used to visit your parents in Korea every summer. During high school, you lived with a host family.

And now, you were an adult in your 20s barely scraping enough money to pay rent for your studio apartment.

It was times like this when you missed your parents. You shook your head and tried not to think about it.

I'll gather enough money to visit my parents in Korea again soon.

"MyungSoo Kim?" The barista called.

You came up, "Thank you, Miss HyunJoo."

"No problem," she smiled, "Have a good day!"

---

After scouting several locations, you finally found the perfect place to take pictures. Your friend WooHyun wanted to take nice Instagram photos, so of course you had to volunteer.

WooHyun was a Korean American. Born and raised in the States. His parents own a clothing boutique downtown. He wanted to take photos today since the online store needed some new photos for the new collection. How convenient is it to just have your son as a model rather than hiring one?

"Can you take it at a lower angle? I need my legs to look longer," WooHyun said.

You nodded and squatted.

Or... attempted to. You heard the sound of fabric ripping.

"S-Soo... What was that?" WooHyun said as he blinked.

Your face turned red in embarassment. You looked down and saw that your pants ripped at both knees. Not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter