Oneshot

The Bird Whisperer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was inspired by Yonghwa and Seohyun’s Busan Trip.

 

———————————————

 

“Appa! I want to feed the birds!!!”

 

His charming three-year old, Seo-yeon, exclaimed loudly as she ran towards the birds at the beach shore. Her eyes gleamed with excitement and small shrieks and giggles escaped as the wind blew against her face.

 

“Yah! Seo-yeon, wait for Appa!” Yonghwa, who was trying to balance the toddler bag, the goguma snacks, and the bottle of milk between his hands, came chasing after her.

 

The father and daughter duo were at Haeundae Beach. Yonghwa was visiting his parents over the weekend and decided to take a short side trip to tire his energetic daughter to sleep. However, things weren’t going as planned. The side trip only made her more awake than ever!

 

To make matters worse, his wife wouldn’t approve of Seo-yeon missing her daily afternoon nap. Whenever the toddler missed her naps, she would get grumpy and throw a fit! Her poor parents would have to go through the trouble of adjusting her nap and sleeping cycle from the afternoon till evening. Yonghwa shook his head. He could already imagine his wife’s glare when they get home.

 

The flock of birds flew away from the shore when they heard Seo-yeon’s enthusiastic voice. She was disappointed. She thought the birds would welcome her in return.

 

“Appa!!! The birds are flying away from me! I want to feed them!”, she yelled back at her dad while her nostrils flared. Yonghwa laughed. Seo-yeon was definitely her mother’s daughter. He approached his daughter, opened her favorite goguma snacks and handed her a piece.

 

“Sweetheart, are you sure you want to do this?”

 

“Of course, Appa! Don’t you want to feed them too?”, she raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“Well you see, your Eomma and I were a bunch of scaredy cats back in the day. We tried feeding the birds at this same very beach but we ended up running away from them cause they were too many and scary!”

 

“That’s funny Appa! But I don’t think they’re scary! I’m brave too! Now can I please feed them?”, she opened her palm waiting for Yonghwa to give her a piece.

 

“Alright brave girl, let’s see what you’ve got.” He handed a piece of snack in her hands and guided her fingers to steadily hold it high above her head.

 

His heart was pounding. He wasn’t kidding when he told Seo-yeon of how traumatizing that day was. He thought it would be romantic to woo Seohyun by teaching her how to feed the birds - which only resulted to Seohyun crouching on the sand in panic and Yonghwa pretending to be calm throughout the ordeal. Sure, it was hilarious but both of them vowed to never do it again. It was already embarrassing to have it captured by the cameras but it was even more embarrassing to have their friends tease them about it. Never did he expect that he would be doing this again, for the sake of their daughter’s happiness.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter