The Video

Omelette

Taeyeon shut her eyes and rubbed them. The stretch in her eyelids reminded her of how late it was and how long she had been staring at the computer screen. A yawn came flying in and she let it out without inhibition. Mmm, it was time to sleep.

omo

Good morning! R u done editing? I can’t wait to see it.

It’s done! I’ll send you the video.

Omelettegirl.mp4

Omg exciting!!! I’ll watch it now

The smile on her face was unstoppable and Taeyeon lay flat on her bed staring at her phone while waiting for Tiffany to watch the video. She was almost drifting back to sleep when a video call from Tiffany came in.

“So, what do you think? Do you like it?” Taeyeon asked with a thumping heart.

Tiffany’s smile was everything. “Like? Try love.”

“Love?”

“Uh huh. You did a great job editing. Made it look like so much fun.”

Taeyeon’s heart dropped a step. “Wasn’t it fun?”

“What do you mean? Of course it was fun.”

“But you said—”

“Ah,” Tiffany’s smile stunned again, “I meant it looks more fun.”

“Ah . . .”

“Upload it. It’s gonna be a hit.”

“Do you really think so?”

“Think?” Tiffany chuckled and shook her head. “I know it.”

“How do you know?”

Tiffany’s eyebrows shrugged. “I just know it,” her smile returned, “Upload it. Don’t let your effort go to waste.”

Taeyeon smiled, her heart warm. “I won’t. Thanks.”

omo

[TYTV] TVLOG: Omelette Girls #1

390 views  👍  19  👎  1

Taeyeon stared at the numbers, reading them once, twice, thrice. “3-9-0. Three hundred and ninety. Oh my God.” She grabbed her phone, found Tiffany’s name and tapped. “Tiffany! It’s only been a few hours and our video got three hundred and ninety views and nineteen likes. Can you believe it?”

“Three hundred and ninety views . . .?”

“Yeah, I can’t believe it got this many views in such a short time.”

“How many views do you usually get?”

“Knock a zero off and you’re close.”

“Thirty-nine . . .?”

“Mhm.”

“This won’t do. I’ll share the video with my friends and get us more views.”

“More views?”

“Yes, more views.”

“Isn’t this enough?”

“No, it’s not. We gotta work hard to get it more views. The target is three thousand.”

“Three thousand?” Taeyeon couldn’t help shaking her head. “That’s impossible.”

“It’s not impossible. You just haven’t tried hard enough. You’ll see.”

omo

[TYTV] TVLOG: Omelette Girls #1

3090 views   👍  119  👎  10

“Tiffany, you won’t believe this.”

“I was just about to call you!”

“You’ve seen it?”

“Yeah, isn’t it great?”

“And the comments too. So many of them want to try cooking after watching it,” Taeyeon hugs herself with glee. “Do you think they will sign up for classes at our school?”

“Maybe.” Tiffany gasped. “If they do, you’ll successfully bring up the enrollment too!”

“Do you think that’s possible?” Taeyeon asked hopefully.

Tiffany nodded. “I think it’s possible. Let’s make another video next week when I go for my next class.”

“Together?”

“Yeah, of course.”

A smile broke out on Taeyeon’s face. “I can’t wait.”

omo

“In our last video, we ended up with scrambled eggs instead of an omelette, but we’ve figured it out and I think we will succeed this time.” Taeyeon smiled at the camera then turned to Tiffany. “Ready?”

Tiffany gripped the egg in her hand and nodded, eyes set with determination flashing. “Never been readier my whole life.”

“Let’s do it!”

The egg cracking went much smoothly than the last time.

“Hey, watch this,” went Tiffany as she cracked her egg on the edge of the bowl with just one hand, “Tadaa,” the egg white and yolk slid into the bowl in one piece.

“Oh wow, you’ve gotten so good at this. Teach me, please?”

“I’ll show you,” Tiffany said with a smile and took Taeyeon’s hand. “Put the egg like this,” she began, adjusting Taeyeon’s fingers, “hold the ends and hit it right in the middle. That’s right. Then hold the ends. The gap just has to be big enough—perfect. You got it.”

Taeyeon held up her bowl of egg in triumph. “I did it!”

“Next, the salt.”

Taeyeon and Tiffany exchanged glances and giggled. The three-finger pinch mystery had been solved and no longer posed a challenge for them. The rest of the omelette making process went smoothly and they were cruising along with their eggs until it got to the stirring part. The last time, Tiffany had stirred too thoroughly and ended up with scrambled eggs instead. This time, they stirred more gently and hoped for the best.

Moments later, they cheered as the egg rolled off the pan onto a plate and wobbled like jelly.

“We did it!”

“Definitely much better than the last one.”

“Do you think it counts as an omelette?”

Taeyeon frowned. “It looks alright to me.”

“We should ask Chef Yoona.”

“Good idea. Let’s do that.”

omo

[TYTV] TVLOG: Omelette Girls #1

309801 views   👍  18k  👎  81

Taeyeon figured she must have stopped breathing for a full minute because she was panting and coughing deep breaths when she finally regained her senses. Six digits. Her video’s view count was in the hundreds of thousands. Unbelievable.

After staring at the view count for a good ten minutes, Taeyeon picked up her phone. She had to tell someone about this miracle. And the first someone that came to mind was Tiffany.

“Have you seen the recent view count?” she asked as soon as Tiffany answered her video call.

“No, did something happen?”

“Go, look.”

“Holy !”

“Yeah, holy. Holy holy.”

“Has it gone viral?”

“I think so? But I don’t know how or when.”

“This is great!”

“What should we do next?”

“Upload the next video.”

“But I’m still editing it.”

“You do that while I try to find out how your video got so many views overnight.”

omo

Editing took much longer than Taeyeon expected and by the time she looked up from her computer, it was almost time for work at the culinary school. Taeyeon groaned and rubbed her face to sober up but her eyes were more tired than ever and her eyelids, drooping. How was she going to survive a full day at work?

A quick shower and an expresso later, Taeyeon left her house in a moderate state of functionality. If all went well, she would be able to have a quiet day at work and get through the day with minimal duties. Maybe even sneak a nap during her breaks.

Clinging on to that hope, Taeyeon stepped into the office and headed for the desk they had given her. But as soon as she got there, all eyes landed on her.

“Is there something on my face?” she asked, patting her cheeks and touching her lips to check.

“You don’t know what’s going on, do you?” Mr Lee asked.

“What’s going on?”

“Your days are numbered,” said Mrs Lee.

“M-My days are numbered?”

Mr Lee pointed over her shoulder. “Miss Seo.”

Taeyeon turned, a chill running down her back suddenly. “Miss Seo, good morning,” she managed to say.

But Miss Seo did not smile. “Come with me,” she ordered in a low, calm voice, and turned to walk back to the meeting room.

Taeyeon followed, heart thumping, blood running cold. What had gone wrong?

omo