Nine

Treacherous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The daylight leaked from the swaying curtains due to the breeze that was escaping into the chamber through the gap in the balcony door. It was left only a sliver open to not let the warmth inside be suffocating and indeed, the little gust whirling inside was refreshing, not hampering the warmth that had been built inside by the fireplace, by the metal crates burning coal placed in every corner of the room. It was warm inside the bedding, it was thicker than any Taemin had ever worn… and he couldn't help but linger in slumber, closing his eyes yet again.

 

Despite his closed eyes, slumber began to leave him, his senses grew more aware– the ache and fever of his body becoming more apparent to him with every breath. He could feel the damp cloth on his forehead, the pleasant chill of it fading. His body was painfully sore and heavy, a twinge was throbbing in his forehead and he opened his eyes finally when the discomfort of his body grew beyond his tolerance. He shifted the cloth away from his forehead and straightened up, his head spinning at his movement but he held onto the headboard, waiting for the dizziness to fade. It did and the ache in his head dulled, giving him enough strength to climb out of bed. He realized he had been under layers of blankets and he pulled the first one with him as he stood up, but he flopped back down, his feet giving away. He was able to get on his feet properly on his second attempt, understanding from how his limbs were weak and painfully numb, that he had been asleep for quite long. He bolstered himself for the first few steps after which he was able to walk without support and headed towards the balcony door, gently pushing the door open.

 

The chill of the air hit him the moment he had stepped into the balcony and finally, it made sense, why the chamber had been kept so warm. Everything was doused in white.

 

He let out a sharp breath, the cold was prickling his skin, yet it felt nice against the warmth of his fever, of the room that had settled inside of him. Or maybe, he was too intrigued by how the snow had blanketed everything in his sight, making a sight he had only imagined until now, raised in a temperate kingdom.

 

He pulled the blanket over him tighter, his gaze wandering and he slowly realized… that these weren’t the central grounds he often looked upon… and slowly as he registered the chamber he had just stepped out of, he also realized that though it was similar… it wasn’t his own. 

 

He grew alert, now finally aware he was in an unknown castle… but on sighting Aeyan uniforms wade through the snow-covered grounds below, he relaxed again, letting out a deep breath that fogged the air around him considerably, bemusing him again.

 

“Cold, is it not?”

 

Taemin turned to the familiar voice, finding Minho leaning against the door frame, hair moist from a bath, layers untidily buttoned up over his shirt. Exhaustion was evident in his features… yet he was at peace, a mellow smile escaping him when Taemin’s gaze had met his.

 

“Your health can worsen again if you stay out in the cold.”

 

Taemin stepped inside, past Minho and settled on the bed, shedding the blanket, the warmth of the room wiping away his temporary exposure to the cold. Minho approached him, his palm hovering above his forehead, “May I?”

 

Taemin nodded, allowing Minho to feel his temperature. He saw his mien relax as he ascertained his fever to have reduced considerably and as he withdrew his palm, there was a knock on the door and Kibum entered, a bed tray in his hand.

 

“The soldiers have gathered, Your Majesty.”

 

Minho answered Kibum's words with a nod, “The healer has left you a concoction, please have it after your meal.”

 

Taemin parted his lips to acknowledge his request but having not spoken for long, his voice was caught in his throat and he ended up coughing, trying to clear his throat. He nodded instead and watched Minho fix the rest of his appearance and leave swiftly.

 

Kibum placed the bed tray before Taemin and began serving him his breakfast.

 

“Has the King eaten?” Taemin asked softly when he found his voice, and Kibum straightened up after having uncovered his porridge bowl, “He had something light with tea at dawn.”

 

“Did he wake that early?” Taemin asked, a little surprised as he picked up his spoon.

 

“He did not sleep at all, Your Grace. He insisted on nursing you himself. He has hardly slept all week.”

 

A week? Taemin stirred the spoon in his porridge, overwhelmed by the knowledge. He began eating when he heard Kibum clear his throat, and as he ate, he realized how hungry he was with every bite. He was done quickly and Kibum uncovered the concoction he was supposed to take after his meal. Taemin was hesitant, remembering the last time he drank it. It tasted quite unpleasant. “Do I have to drink that?”

 

“The sedative you were drugged with was acting as a poison in that high dosage. Despite the antidote, you have only fallen more sick afterward… you have been drifting but it took a week for you to fully wake. You need it, if anything, Your Grace.” When Taemin had not made any effort to drink it, Kibum added, “I brought some pudding to wash out the taste of it,” He pushed a small, covered bowl ahead.

 

Taemin sighed and drank the concoction in one large sip, a shiver of distaste running down his spine. He immediately filled his mouth with a large spoonful of the rice pudding Kibum had brought, feeling the pungency of the concoction fade into the sweetness, to his relief.

 

He rested against the headboard, pulling his feet up and crossing them, his eyes falling on the ring that was still intact on his finger and everything rushing by him then, pulled by the image of his ring.

 

“Where are we?” He asked the question he had forgotten to ask watching Kibum tidying around the chamber.

 

“Our fortress on the border between Yangon and Aeyan,” Kibum answered, his words making Taemin straighten up, his body tensing, his eyes growing stern, asking the question for him… which Kibum answered right away.

 

“We are at war with Yangon.”

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter