One

Treacherous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

Taemin was born a prince, a prince conceived from the sixth Queen of Seyan. He was far in line to the throne, having many a half-sibling. Every month, his father– the King– held a small feast, gathering all his Queens and children, after which Taemin would be forced to sit with the other princes and princesses, all of them going on and on about the royal politics– at times taking advantage of the fact that the crown prince, Jinki, the King’s son from his first wife, was away trying to establish good relations between the neighboring kingdoms– to criticize him and instead put themselves ahead as worthier heirs. Taemin was least bothered– he had absolutely no interest in being the King. He did not know what he was interested in, or what would become of him... but he knew one thing. He wanted his life, whatever it may become, to have that one person whom he held the dearest.

 

He was yet again forced to one of these gatherings. Sitting at the table arranged in the gardens under the shade of the trees, Taemin often lifted his gaze from his plate of dessert, running his fingers through his dark golden hair, conscious of his beloved’s gaze. His green eyes tried to settle on him discreetly, to steal a glance at least. And like always, his eyes eventually met warm, brown ones. Taemin looked away, but the other was still watching him from afar, knowing that Taemin would be bored and soon irate in the company of his half-siblings. And when Taemin passed him by through the archways a while later, he handed him a red rose discreetly. It took only that much– one rose and one coy smile, and it wiped every turbulence away from Taemin's heart and mind.

 

His beloved, the owner of those warm, brown eyes was named Jongin and he was a young, brave knight.

 

He was quite like the knights from the many tales Taemin had read in their library… and Taemin felt exactly like those corny protagonists– utterly besotted.

 

 

 

It was two weeks later when Jinki had returned and everyone had gathered again. This time the rest of the nobles were present as well, to welcome their Crown Prince home. Jinki had rested a few hours after which he, the King and the courtiers were in a meeting, where Jinki was perhaps relaying the progress he had made with mending their relations with the neighboring kingdom, Aeyan. Taemin knew they would get more insight into it when they would sit in the dining hall, and the King would share the necessary parts of it–  most probably as a lesson.

 

When the feast began, the air was rather quieter than usual because they were waiting for either Jinki or their father to begin. But they ate quietly as well... and only spoke when the meal was done and the cutlery was taken away.

 

"Due to Jinki's efforts, our trade with Aeyan will begin promptly. The dam in Aeyan will be opened, hence restoring our bordering lands back to their fertility. The King of Aeyan is soon retiring and his son will need a consort in order to ascend."

 

The atmosphere grew tense at the last of the King's words... because there was only one reason why their father would mention the need for a foreign prince’s consort. And it was not just any prince. They had heard a good share of rumors about the Prince of Aeyan, most of which that had been confirmed from Jinki's accounts of him. They had heard of how even as a prince, he was far more rigid than his father, of how he had aggressively taken on Jinki, creating obstacles for the treaty to be signed with how detailed and cautious he was about everything. How he spoke less but was ruthless in court, how he was cold, demanding and intolerant of even the little things that did not go his way. How he had defeated Jinki in many of the “friendly” duels they had had over his stay, not even considering that Jinki was there to extend an olive branch before mercilessly sending him down on his arse.

 

A man of such temperament would make an oppressive king and an even more oppressive husband.

 

"Jinki had informed this to me and I had sent him all of your portraits, to implicitly propose an alliance." The King continued, "Despite having many suitors from the many kingdoms, the Aeyan prince chose one of you."

 

Many of the princes and princesses gave each other glances. Taemin could glimpse the tension in their eyes. Marrying a King was certainly one way of rising into power... but was it worth marrying someone whose generations had been in cold war against your country? With a man of such demeanor? It was risky terrain... because they would have to bear the burden of always keeping the relations with Aeyan stable. They would have to please, entertain and submit to the Aeyan Prince, if necessary. And Taemin knew... a majority of his siblings were too prideful to accept this arrangement as anything but disgraceful. He was the same too.

 

"Taemin."

 

Taemin froze, his heart at his throat when his father spoke his name.

 

"You have been chosen, my child."

 

Taemin fisted his palms, trying to keep himself from refuting it. The words resounded in his head, every other thought had left him– save for one. The thought of what this arrangement meant. For him. For Jongin. For them. He almost trembled, trying to contain it. He was not going to burst in front of his siblings, in front of his step-mothers, because if he did, he would have to speak Jongin's name... and if he did, he would endanger him, make him a target for his siblings, for mockery, maybe more.

 

His silence was taken as acceptance and his father raised his goblet, "Let the preparations begin. May peace forever keep us in its grace."

 

"Amen." Everyone rose their goblets as well... except for Taemin.

 

 

 

The moment everyone had retired, Taemin turned his steps towards his father's study. He grew angrier with every step he took, bursting into th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter