Colloquy 1: Yabuki Nako

Past-Present

I could see Honda’s eyes widened in shock when I told her that Kim Chaewon and Minjoo are dating. Those cute eyes I saw before quickly become gloomy. I just wanted to know what was the meaning of those dreamy eyes when she was with Kim Chaewon, but I hope I could reverse the time after seeing Honda’s face right now.

I wonder, what is the charm that Kim Chaewon has to make both Honda and Minjoo fall in love with her. Are nice girls always like someone annoying like her? Weird.

I don’t know why, but I’m feeling guilty towards Honda for ruining her mood that time. It couldn’t be helped, though, since sooner or later, she should know the truth. What truth? The truth that her feeling isn’t reciprocated, and never will be. It’s a harsh truth, but it’s better for her to learn about it now, rather than having a false hope. During the remaining days of the week, I noticed something different from Honda. Being heartbroken must be hard, huh?

It’s already weekend so here I am, sitting inside Eunbi-unnie’s shop and wait for her to prepare my beef soup. The shop isn’t crowded right now, but when it hits 8PM, it’ll be packed with the girls from the nearest dance studio. Eunbi-unnie is really kind towards them, I once heard that her dream was to be a dancer, but her dream was taken away when she caught in an accident. Poor her. If only the accident didn’t happen, maybe she’d stand under the spotlight.

She put the beef soup in front of me. It smells delicious and I can’t wait to dig in. Eunbi-unnie then sits across me, staring at me with those sharp eyes.

“You seem troubled,” She said. She’s looking me thoroughly, huh?

“Oh, you can see it,” I replied.

“Of course. I live longer than you in this world not for nothing,” Her face letting out a smug. She consciously moved her eyebrows up and down, so cute.

“So, I just told my good friend that her crush is dating someone else, and she seems to be heartbroken. I wonder is there any way to make her feel better,” I said while eating the beef soup unnie had prepared for me.

“She’s heartbroken right? You should just wait until she feels better,” Unnie gave me an advice, a really obvious advice, to be honest.

Honestly, I’m thinking the same way as unnie. I can’t do anything but wait for Honda getting better. Come to think of it, why I’m so bothered with Honda’s feeling towards that girl? It’s bothering me much more than when I heard that Minjoo loves that kind of person. Well, at least Minjoo is happy right now since Chaewon seems to treat her nicely. Maybe she’s really a nice person...

Wait, did I just say that Chaewon is a nice person? No, no. It’s impossible, Chaewon can’t be nice. She must be someone manipulative. Minjoo is just too innocent to realize how manipulative Chaewon is!

Still, rather than being concerned with Minjoo, I find myself more worried towards Honda. God, I hate it when I see her being sad!

“You really care about your friend, huh?” Eunbi-unnie commented. She’s right, I care about Honda. It’s no fun hanging out with her if she’s being heartbroken anyway. Where is the happy, kind of savage Honda Hitomi that I know?

Then, I see the girls from the dance studio entered the shop. They’re noisy as usual, but Eunbi-unnie seems to be not bothered with their voice at all. Maybe it reminds her when she was still dancing.

Eunbi-unnie stands from her seat and greet the girls. She takes the order sheet and start to take the girls’ order. In the past, I once thought that I was in love with Eunbi-unnie. Reason? Because I really like seeing her back when she’s taking order. It may be sounds funny, but I know that she’s a hard-worker. It wasn’t love though, I quickly realized it after I felt indifferent when unnie told me that she was in love with someone. Perhaps, I just wanted to be someone like her? I don’t know.

I decided to wait until those girls’ done since I want to talk with unnie more. She’s busy serving those girls. At a time like this, I want to help her, but she’s always refusing my offer, telling me that she can do it by herself. After done serving those girls, she sits on a chair near the cashier.

After forty-five minutes of waiting, one of them goes to the cashier to make a payment. She is a girl with long hair. I bet that she is the group’s leader since I can feel a charismatic vibe around her. She’s chatting with unnie for a bit, before handing a white envelope.

Oh, what is the thing inside the envelope? I’m curious since unnie looks happy when she received it. The girl is also laughing, and her laugh is somewhat loud and quirky. The girl gives a sign to her group to leave since she’s already paid for their usual Saturday night dinner.

I waited a little longer even after those girls left since Eunbi-unnie should clean up the table.

“You’re not going home, Nako?” She asked me while rubbing the table.

“I want to talk with you more, unnie,” I said honestly. Unnie laughed when she heard my answer. I don’t remember saying something funny?

“What is it?” She asked me again, still cleaning up.

“What’s the thing you received from those girls?” I asked without any hesitation. I’m just curious.

“They invite me to see their show next week,” She already finished cleaning the table, and now sits in front of me.

It explains why she was happy upon receiving the envelope. She’s a busy person, so getting a free ticket for something she loves will be good to relieve her stress and pressure from her everyday life.

Is Honda stressed when she found out that Minjoo and Chaewon are dating? At a crucial time like this, what should I do for Honda as her good friend beside waiting?

Unnie... please tell me, as a friend, what another thing I can do for my good friend?” I asked her, hoping that she has another advice.

 

“I don’t know... but heartbroken girl tends to do something unexpected. Perhaps you should stay beside her?”

 

-

 

I spent this one week to watch over Honda. She’s still gloomy, caused by her broken heart upon learning that her crush is dating with someone else. Unnie told me that heartbroken girl is more likely to do something unexpected, so I raised up my caution, not wanting Honda to do something weird... and dangerous.

We’re in our department’s cafeteria right now. I’m glancing at Honda, can’t stop thinking about what will Honda do. Will she try to stalk Chaewon? Or maybe will she begin hurting herself? Or the worst, she will try to commit suicide?! No, no, no! I can’t imagine Honda doing something like that! She’s one of the most reserved person I’ve ever known!

I realized just now that Honda is staring at me. I gulp. She’s still gloomy, but I know that she wants to say something to me.

“You know it, right?” She asks me. Know? Know about what?

“What are you talking about?” I ask her back, stuttering for a bit.

“You know that I have a certain feeling towards Chaewon-san,” She says. Wow, bullseye!

“Should I tell you? About me and her?” Honda asks.

“O-okay...” I say, don’t know any other kind of respond.

Both of us go to the rooftop in the corner of our department’s second building. It’s quiet here, since no one really know about this place.

“I met her three years ago...” Honda starts her story. I set my ears to listen to her carefully.

“I think I already told you that she’s the daughter of my father’s superior. Well, the truth is she’s the daughter of the CEO. I met her during her family party...” She continues her story.

“Then?” I respond, giving a sign to her that I’m listening.

“She stayed with me until the party ended, even though we were barely understand each other. I just arrived in here, so I couldn’t talk much Korean back then,” She smiles bitterly.

“When I met her again, I already could speak Korean better. But I realized that she’s not someone who talk much to begin with. Still, I think we were getting closer everytime we met, and her parents even let me to go to their house on regular basis,” Now she turns, her back is facing me. She starts to trembling.

“Then... you started to have a feeling for her?” I ask, also with a trembling voice. It’s really cold here, seriously. Why I agreed to listen to her story here anyway?

“Maybe... I was happy when her cousin said that she often smiled after we became friend. I thought, maybe I could be the one who make her smile. I was sure that I was the only one that could make her smile. If only I realized that I love her that time, maybe it won’t turn out like this...” She must be crying right now, I know it. Knowing that her role was taken by another person must be painful. I can feel my heart pierced just by hearing it.

“I... I don’t know what should I say to you, but...” I admit. I can’t think of any good response for a story like this.

“Sorry for telling you a boring story like this...” She turns back to face me with a smile, but her swollen eyes are shown. I don’t know why, but I think she’s really beautiful. I once heard that brokenhearted girls are beautiful, but I never thought that they’ll be this beautiful

“No... it’s okay,” I shake my head.

“You know, it’s decided already,” She continues. My eyes blinks as a reaction, not understanding her words.

“W-what?”

She walks towards the fence. Wait, wait! She won’t end her life just because of that girl, right?!

“She agreed to come this place on Monday, 3PM. On that time, I will confess my feeling to her.”

 

 

 

 

 

Oh God, Eunbi-unnie was right, brokenhearted girl tends to do something unexpected.

 

-

 

A/N: I think the story is somewhat fast paced, maybe the fastest one. In my opinion, NakoTomi is the hardest couple to be written (maybe since theres hardly any fanfic that feature NakoTomi as the main couple out there, I had a hard time to imagine a good situation for them). Also, since NakoTomis story is developed from Everything, its almost impossible to not referring to Chaewon.

One chapter left, and itll summarize Nako and Hitomis relationship. I have no intention to make this story contains a fluff or a lovey-dovey situation like Sweater or Everything, so I apologize in advance.

The truth is, another character (member) just made her first appearance in this chapter. Do any of you realize it?

P.S: The fourth couple will be YulYen/YenYul.