Black, White, and Gray: Chapter 1

The Curse of Two Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Son Naeun was born into a family of overachievers.

 

Her family owned the Son Chemicals Corporation, one of the biggest manufacturing companies in Korea, currently on its fifth generation. Her father, the CEO, was a brilliant and well-respected chemical engineer. Her mother, was the famous Athena, a legendary singer and songwriter. Her brother Dongwoon, who was two years older than her, was a piano prodigy.

When she was born into the family, her parents were elated. The Son couple had always planned a perfect family with two children, a boy and a girl. She was raised and treated like a princess, and her parents wanted her to be like one, prim, proper and perfect- just like the rest of their family.

 

Months after she was born, however, her mother noticed something different from Naeun. She had no problem inserting blocks into the proper shapes, and was able to master her pincer grip easily. It was also really easy for her baby girl to learn how to maintain her balance while standing, but Son Jiwoo was puzzled at how her daughter had never been able to properly place balls in the same-colored baskets. She tried and tried to teach Naeun patiently, but after a while, it just seemed like Naeun was only getting that she had to put the balls in a basket, no matter what color.

It was strange, very strange in fact that Son Jiwoo was concerned that something was wrong with her daughter. This led them to visit a doctor, who then concluded that Naeun had Monochromacy. She was completely color blind, only able to see the shades of Black, White, and Gray.

Jiwoo wept and brought her daughter to different doctors, the best specialists in all of Seoul to treat her condition. When they couldn't, she and Naeun hopped on a plane to different countries, hoping to find someone who can fix her. She spent a good year trying to find a cure- but there was currently no cure for color blindness. The only solution technology is currently able to offer are correction glasses, which never worked on Naeun no matter how hard her mom insisted. Because she was desperate, she finally brought her daughter to a shaman despite being skeptical of the belief.

She arrived to the temple thinking that such a suggestion from her friends was ridiculous, but after exhausting all her options, she finally gave in- deciding that she wouldn't lose anything if she tried anyway.

The old man took one good look at them as they entered and closed his eyes, seemingly meditating. Jiwoo thinks that they were just ignored, but after a while, he chuckles. "Your daughter will be able to see color, don't worry." he said out loud, with his eyes still closed.

 

Surprised and amazed at how the shaman was able to answer her without her saying anything, Jiwoo steps towards the shaman. He smiles at her and opens his eyes. Eagerly, she asks the shaman to do everything he can for her little girl. "I can pay you a lot of money, sir. Please just cure my little princess." She sits down in front of him and grabs her bag, her skepticism easily forgotten after hearing his words.

 

The shaman, however, rejects the bills she had started pulling out of her wallet. "No, I can't do anything." he says, his hands stopping her own.

 

"Excuse me?" Jiwoo asks, stunned, confused and disappointed at what the person she was talking to just said.

 

"I can't do anything about it." the shaman repeats. He looks at Naeun sadly while shaking his head. "I cannot cure your little girl."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

 

"Your daughter.... will only start seeing color when she meets her soulmate..."

 

Jiwoo stares at him for a while in complete disbelief and starts laughing bitterly. "What bull is this! I cannot believe I wasted time coming here!" she shouts at the man, immediately standing up and dragging Naeun out with her.

 

"Wait ma'am! I wasn't finished yet..." the shaman says as she and Naeun exit the door, unable to hear him. "Please take care of your daughter well."

 

 

 

 

Nineteen years pass, and now, Naeun was a second year student at Segyeong University, the top university in Korea. She chose to pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting- an ironic decision that made even her mother laugh. But of course, her mother supported her- telling her to pursue anything and everything she wanted, as long as it made her happy. All grown up, the Son's princess was now widely known as the College of Arts' ice princess- chic, cool, and very unapproachable. She hates being called that.

Her cool demeanor, her introverted character, her flawless academic performance, and especially her family's status, was what made people keep their distance from her. The only person who could comfortably talk to her was Yoon Bomi, her best friend. Bomi was the total opposite of her; talkative, athletic, friendly and occasionally dumb. But Naeun wasn't a snob, she was far from that. She wanted to make friends ever since she was a child but she was a very shy girl, and they had all kept their distance.

 

"Don't make the Son's daughter cry. Don't talk to her at all." she used to hear from her classmates' parents.

 

"I can't talk to her, she'd probably look down on me." her high school classmates used to say.

 

Everyone was afraid of offending her or getting on her bad side that no one ever really tried to get to know her, and in the end, she gave up. Contented with the friendship she had with Bomi, she decided to just keep to herself and silently let the days pass.

 

 

"Dammit, I'm probably going to fail my driving test again." Bomi says as she stomps on her brakes. She was practicing her driving with Naeun on the passenger seat. The girl had a seatbelt on, but she was still holding on for her dear life. Bomi laughs as she watches her friend breathe when the car finally skids to a stop. "Your expression doesn't give me any confidence, you know."

 

"Your driving doesn't give me confidence." she answers sharply, making her best friend laugh again. She was feeling lightheaded from experiencing Bomi's dangerously fast and unstable turns. "Please, let's just go home."

 

"I really, really want to get my driver's license, Nangni." Bomi pleads. "I need my freedom."

 

"How 'bout you stop speeding and swerving like you're drunk?" she snaps. "And besides, I can drive you. I've been driving us everywhere since I got mine anyway."

 

"But you're not permitted to drive at night." Bomi points out and pouts at her, making crying noises.

 

"So that's what you're planning to do? Party?"

 

"Of course. We're twenty, Nangni... and we're not freshmen anymore. It's time to have fun. You will go with me right?" Bomi gives her the cutest expression she could offer. "It'd be more fun to attend events if my best friend was there."

 

"Ugh. Fine." Naeun finally surrenders after Bomi's never-ending pleas. "But please, just practice the rest of the week without me."

 

"Love you!" Bomi hugs her friend. "I'll pass it this time, I promise."

 

 

 

 

Oh Hayoung has killed twenty-four people. Twenty-four people out of forty-nine she was battling with in a new open world battle arena game. She's now piled them up one by one and stood on top of the small hill of corpses, posing with a peace sign and smiling smugly as her teammate and best friend, Kim Heechul, snaps her picture. The world chat has already erupted into two sides: people who were showing their support to the game's current top player; and the people who were angry and frustrated at trying to take her down.

 

"You killed half of them, what the , Hayoung." Heechul says as he takes her picture. "You're crazy. I can't believe you actually killed them all."

 

"They came at me," Hayoung walks towards him and takes a peek at his device, checking his screenshot. "Should I just stand still?"

 

"I just can't believe you really killed all of them without even blinking twice." Heechul laughs. He posts the screenshot on their team's page after getting her approval. After a few seconds, thousands of likes and comments were made on her photo. "I can't believe we actually became gaming pros. I honestly thought you were kidding."

 

"You know I have a reputation to uphold." Hayoung reminds him. "I can't be going all soft now."

 

Hayoung's team, Zero Bread, started with just her and Heechul during their first year in high school. Last year, they recruited enough players and became a professional team, signed by her family's own company, the Oh Computer Corporation. They were nobodies when they entered their first tournament in a game called Oversight, a popular team-based multiplayer FPS. And in the gaming world, girl gamers are a very rare sight. So when Zero Bread signed up with Hayoung as their leader, commentators and game netizens were pointing out how ridiculous their team was.

Hayoung being the strategist that she is, decided to lay low during the first qualifying rounds, letting her teammates get all the glory. Articles were published about how she was carried by the whole team, people were commenting how girl gamers were a complete nuisance. During an interview after winning the first qualifiers, she was even shamelessly asked to just model for the team instead.

 

"I can't believe you let a girl in your team.... And she's your leader?" an interviewer asks Zero Bread in disbelief during another one of their interviews. Hayoung was not present at that time due to a family meeting.

 

"Hayoung is very good." Heechul answers simply and forces a smile, not liking what the interviewer was lowkey implying about his best friend ever since their interview started. "And she made the team. Without her, Zero Bread will be no bread." Heechul makes shooting gestures.

 

The team uneasily laughs at his pun. They were rookies, and as much as everyone wanted to punch the interviewer that time, they had to maintain their smiles. Heechul was trying so hard to swerve the topic with his charm.

 

"Ah, but you've all been carrying her since the first round, and her aim is so-so." the interviewer continues. "You could get better scores with a different player. Maybe even win the tournament."

 

"Believe me, sir. No one here would want to replace her" Sejun, the main healer, answers. He earns a nod from everyone in the team.

 

The interviewer laughs. "You guys are incredibly loyal, aren't you." He moves a bit, fixing his seat. "The girl isn't even present right now so you guys can be honest with me. Someone here likes her, huh? Or she's dating someone from the team isn't she?"

 

Heechul faces away from the interviewer and towards his teammates. He rolls his eyes and bites his bottom lip out of annoyance. The rest of the group forces soft, laughs filled with unease.

 

"It's you isn't it?" the interviewer teases Heechul. "Eyyy. You shouldn't do that. You're rookies and all. You need to reassemble your team rather than trying to impress your girlfriend. Just put her out of the team and make her take care of you guys while you're playing. I think she'd be better at making sandwiches."

 

"Look Mr. JY." Heechul starts, his voice and face was now showing his annoyance. "Hayoung is important to this team, and she is not my girlfriend. That is all. I'll see you in the semi-finals, and the finals, but I'm probably not going to let you interview this team when we win this tournament.. Or any other tournament after that."

 

Heechul walks out and the team follows him, bowing to the staff for Heechul who was leaving the stunned interviewer and audience. The night after the interview, Zero Bread all had negative articles published about them. People saying they weren't going to last in the tournament, they were stupid for bringing in a girl, and Heechul even had an article calling him disrespectful.

 

"That was really stupid of you." Hayoung bites on the stick of the lollipop that was in . She was reading the articles about the team while waiting for their computers to boot up. "You should've kept it in. He was insulting me, not you."

 

"That's what I get instead of a thank you?" Heechul exclaims, pretending to be shocked and offended. "He deserved it. That JY guy thinks he's all that just because he's a "rock star" who likes games. He's a disrespectful prick. I wanted to tell them all that you'd easily beat them." he makes a pinching gesture with his fingers. "I was really this close to blurting it that I hald to walk out ."

 

"It's fine. It's better if I show them during the championships, right?" Hayoung places down the tablet she was reading from and opens the game on her computer. "Plus, I'm sure some teams will be trying to strategize against us now. We only get to be rookies and surprise them once, so we should use it as much as possible. Besides, I'm having fun as a tank for once."

 

"That even said your aim was so-so! He didn't even know that you were actually aiming like that on purpose!" Heechul pouts."I hate playing flankers! I get killed easily. I want to be a tank again."

 

" it up, Heechul." Hayoung takes out the lollipop form and smiles at her friend. "We'll just win this tournament and make them all shut up."

 

 

Despite all the negative comments about them being lucky, and the ist comments regarded at Hayoung that wanted to make Heechul- as he says, throw punches, Zero Bread finishes every round with flying colors. Hayoung and Heechul still switching their original roles and the girl still keeps playing on a minimal.

 

They finally reach the finals and was about to battle against Seoul Kingdom, the current top team in Korea. Seoul Kingdom was definitely the strongest in the country yet- they even represented Korea and came in second place last year in Oversight League, the game's official international tournament

 

"I'm honestly very surprised that Zero Bread is fighting Seoul Kingdom for the championship." A commentator says to his partner, the tournament's guest commentator. "This rookie team has kicked top ranked teams such as Omnibus and The Bootleg Pirates out of the tournament. They're also very the biggest talk of the gaming community right now, making headlines during the semi-finals for being a so-so team, and their DPS player Kim Heechul for being disrespectful towards Mr. JY."

 

Zero Bread and Seoul Kingdom finally go on stage and line up in their respective sides and the announcer introduces everyone from each team. They start with Seoul Kingdom, giving the players a few seconds after calling their name to say their tagline or greet their fans. They then start introducing Zero Bread after Seoul Kingdom finishes.


Jung Subin with the ID DaejeonHare

"You know, Zero Bread's leader, Oh Hayoung is the first ever female player to debut in a pro team, and the group's leader too."  the commentator talks again. As the announcer calls on each member of Zero Bread. "Too bad all articles are saying she should be replaced. It's not surprising how Oversight fans are commenting that she only got the position because she is the daughter of the CEO of OCC, who signed the team."

 

Lee Hongbin, ID: Excelsis

 

Yoon Doojoon using the ID: ReLight

 

"I for one think she's good. No?" the guest commentator finally speaks. "I watched their interview with JY, and when he stated that her aim was so-so, I started watching her. Isn't she shooting like that on purpose?" the guest commentator tilts his head in wonder. "Didn't anyone else notice that she always seems to hit all chest areas? Is it just me?"

 

Park Chanyeol ID: shiningstar

 

"I don't think she's been aiming for the chest in particular. She doesn't even fire her gun a lot. Perhaps you might have a slight crush, Mr. Yoo Seungho. It's no wonder, though. She is a beauty. Maybe her actual role is to distract the other team?"

 

Kim Heechul with game ID: Cinderella

 

"No, no. It's not like that." Yoo Seungho laughs. "I mean, she's real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter