Black, White, and Gray Chapter 2

The Curse of Two Souls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Bomi was forced by Naeun to spend the whole night teaching the latter, as they laid in her bed on their stomachs. They squeeze out small bits of paint on one of her palettes- Bomi teaches them to her and quizzes her after. It was easy for Naeun to learn and memorize, especially the basic ones. When she had gotten all of those correct, Bomi began to show her how the primary colors change into the secondary ones when mixed together, and she became teary-eyed again, getting overwhelmed as she watched the colors change. Bomi was definitely entertained by how much her best friend was a crybaby, and the dance major laughed as she wiped her tears away.

 

"You've been crying the whole day." Bomi points out. "Your face is a mess."

 

"I don't care." Naeun answers, wiping the tears of her cheeks. "I'm still pretty anyway." she tilts her head up in an overly smug way that earns a sarcastic laugh from Bomi.

 

"Man, if people actually talked to you, they'd be surprised at how full of yourself you actually are." Bomi jokingly rolls her eyes. She opens her tablet, searching the internet for more colors for Naeun to learn.

 

 

 

 

Naeun had been in her art room since morning, playing on a canvas. It was the only thing that came to her mind when she woke up. She didn't even realize that Bomi was already gone after spending the night there, not until her best friend texted her that she had already arrived in school for practice. She was dragged by her mom to eat breakfast, and she had it devoured in just five minutes. When noon came, her mother was understanding enough to let her be; and had her lunch brought to her by a maid, so she could eat while she enjoyed herself in her newfound bliss. No one disturbed Naeun until mid afternoon- two hours before the art exhibit she participated in. Her mother comes into her room and gently squeezes her shoulder to catch her attention. The girl looks up, her grin so wide, her eyes still sparkling with joy.

 

Son Jiwoo looks at her daughter softly. "Don't you have an art exhibit today, my princess?"

 

The girl's eyes go wide with shock, immediately reminded of the event she had completely forgotten. "Right." She looks at her watch to count how much time she has to get ready.

 

"You have two hours, my daughter. Don't worry." Jiwoo says, coaxing her daughter out of her seat. "Go take a bath now, I'll prepare you a light snack."

 

"Thanks, mom." Naeun hugs her mother before rushing off to her room.

 

 

An hour later, Naeun arrives at Seyeong University's showroom, just two floors above where she usually paints. She greets Namjoo, a fashion design major who helps in the College of Arts' official events as a part of her duties in the student council. The two have exchanged pleasantries before, and she even helped the girl by trying on her designs once, but they never really talked that much. Namjoo nods back, holding up one of Naeun's paintings which she then hanged on the wall that was designated for Naeun. The student council member had followed the instructions Naeun left on her painting perfectly -she even remembered to cover the main showcase for the exhibit, the one at the center, with a black cloth.

 

Naeun slowly walks around the showroom, checking and appreciating everyone else's artwork, also observing how they were preparing for later. A few were sweating like crazy, checking small cue cards they prepared; some were chill; some were talking to each other; and some were walking like her too. It was slightly chaotic, but Naeun was still in her happy zone to really be bothered. She was focused on all the colors, and her newfound appreciation of art. When she finally returns to her area, she takes a good look at her wall. It definitely stood out from all the others, but looked dull and colorless- because it looked dull and colorless. She wonders if this is how it has looked like ever since. She shakes her head at the thought. Of course this is what it looked like, her whole world used to look like this.

 

The dean of the college places herself in the middle of the showroom. "Okay, everyone. It's time for the collectors to have a tour. Only after the auctioning of everyone's pieces will the rest of the student body be allowed inside. Please tell your friends to properly line up outside after lunch to avoid commotion." She announces through her microphone. "We will start in five minutes. Please prepare your short presentations. I expect no delays." She claps her hands once, and goes out the main door. Everyone walks to their respective places.

 

Exactly five minutes later, a group of people enter through the main door, accompanied by the dean and her secretary. They handed out pamphlets, ones that contain the profile, and a short portfolio of the twenty students who participated. They start from the right and Naeun watches them as the first student presents her artwork, unconsciously picking at her nails.

 

They go to the next student and so on, until finally, they had finished viewing the display beside her, and it was finally her turn. She was about to open as the crowd came near, but to her surprise, they skip her and suddenly move to the first wall from the main entrance's left side.

 

She was puzzled, but she stood still and continued watching everyone. The crowd of VIPs go around again and she patiently waits until finally, she was the only one left to present. Naeun feels her heart beat with joy. Presenting last could only mean one thing, but she needed to hear it first before she could celebrate.

 

"This time as usual, we saved the best for last." her dean tells the collectors before the girl even opens . Naeun closes her eyes tightly and thanks the heavens. Her dean gestures an open palm to her. "This is this month's chosen student artist! Congratulations, Ms. Son! You have done a very good job, and I'm sure that after the unveiling of your main piece, I'm sure some of our esteemed collectors here would love to talk to you; but for now, please take it away."

 

She presents each of her paintings in under a minute each, and answers questions about its meaning and inspiration, the style she often uses, and others. Someone also asks her why she limits herself to only these colors.

"Rather than a style, I would call it as a kind of training for me, sir." she answers with a half-lie. "It helped learn how to work with what materials I have available-"

Technically, she really wasn't fully lying. She really did only work with what she had that time. 

"-but I'll definitely be painting with every color available from now on." she finishes with a smile.

 

"Yes," her dean nods at the collectors, before turning to her. "Ms. Son, your main piece please. We're all very excited to see it."

 

"Ah, yes." Naeun replies, she stands beside her main piece that was still covered in a black cloth. She fixes her dress for a quick second and gestures to her painting. "My main piece is inspired by Greek mythology. The gods of war, Ares and Athena." She pulls down the black cloth to reveal the painting and continues explaining. Her eyes not leaving the crowd in front of her. The collectors give out soft gasps, and quiet wows, oohs and aahs. "The two gods represent two winning elements in a war. Athena for intelligence and tactics-" she points at the upper portion of her canvas without looking. "-and Ares for strength and power. The rest, is up for your interpretation."

 

The collectors clap as she ends. The girl bows a bit to thank and acknowledge their praise.

 

"Amazing use of colors, Ms. Son" a collector comments. "It definitely gives the interpretation that the two gods represent completely different things."

 

"Excuse me?" Naeun asks softly, confused at the collectors comment. She thinks she didn't hear it right.

 

"The fiery, hot colors you used on Ares, definitely showed power and strength." another collector comments. "Like a raging fire that eats and destroys everything in its path."

 

"And the colors you used on Athena, certainly captures that represents intelligence and tactics." another voice from the group says. "A cool, and calm head that leads an army to victory."

 

'Fiery? Hot? Cool and calm?' The collectors' comments confuse her

"What?" she says to herself. She turns her head to look at her painting, and is left frozen in place. "Wait- this, I-" she squeaks, but the dean cuts unknowingly cuts her off.

 

"Alright, respected members of our community." the woman gestures to the group of collectors and leads them to the exit. "Please follow me, we'll be discussing purchases in a separate room."

 

Naeun stares at her painting as the collectors were ushered away into a different room. She lightly touches at the of red and blue that she was sure were not her doing. As all of them were advised to take a quick lunch break before they open the exhibit for students, Naeun dials Bomi's number and goes out of the showroom.

 

"Yo." Her best friend says when she picks up. "Just finishing this set. I'm taking a shower and heading there, okay?"

 

"Okay. Lunch first? I'm free for two hours."

 

"Yes please! I'm about to pass out from hunger!" Bomi exclaims, then the girl says something to someone before getting back to her. "Jongin has been working us to the bone. I have to go. I'll text you."

 

"Okay." Naeun pockets the phone and looks around her. Aside from Bomi, she really had no one else to be with, and nowhere else to go to.

 

She walks away from the arts building, and towards the small park in front. She settles down on one of the benches under the shade of a big oak tree. The girl crosses her arms and lets herself relax on the bench. She closes her eyes, taking a good minute to savor the cool breeze. It definitely helps her relax while thinking of her painting. Who had painted over it and why? Was it meant to tell her something, or was it pure coincidence? A prank? Did someone find out that she used to be color blind?

 

 

"That's our spot." a slightly husky girl's voice behind her, that sounded somewhat annoyed, says.

 

It startles Naeun a bit, and makes her turn her head to look for the owner. "Sorry." She mutters and looks at the person behind her. She sees a tall girl with a dark blue jacket, and headphones hanging on her neck, holding a game console. Behind her is a guy with the same jacket, holding the same gadget with a different color.

 

"Ah. Aren't you one of those girls I bumped into yesterday?" the girl's eyes widen in recognition and her annoyed tone just a few minutes ago, became a little more friendly. She turns to the guy. "Heechul, she's the one I was telling you about."

 

"Ah, Hi!" the guy steps closer to her and holds out his hand. "Mind if we sit with you? My name is Heechul."

 

"Sure..." Naeun replies, staring at him, not really sure what to do. Barely any people has spoken to her her whole life, and she's not used to people being friendly.

 

"Taking his hand is polite, you know." the girl tells her, and Naeun realizes she was staring. "My name's Hayoung by the way." the girl introduces herself too, holding out her hand like the other one.

 

"Naeun." She smiles and accepts Heechul's hand and shakes Hayoung's the next. The two don't say anything else after, and proceed to sit on the bench, with the tall girl named Hayoung beside her. After turning their consoles on, the two gamers wear their headphones and fix themselves into a comfortable position as their game loads. When it starts, the two, with eyebrows furrowed in concentration, start clicking and pressing on their consoles in silence. With nothing else to do, Naeun subtly watches Hayoung's screen, curiosity getting the best of her.

 

"Want to try it?" Hayoung offers after ending a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter