Such a Rush

Make Signs

Chapter 3

.

.

"Kim Chaewon!" Minjoo called as she left the room. Minjoo jumped from her desk and slung her bag over her shoulder.Chaewon turned out of the room before Minjoo got to her. "See you guys later," Minjoo said to Yuri and Yena as she dashed away.

That long wavy haired girl ran out of her Algebra room and nearly crashed into yet another person. "Whoa, sorry," Minjoo mumbled. She glanced up to see who it was. Kim Chaewon, of course. Why she was so good at embarrassing herself in front of attractive girls?

"Oh, Minjoo, you called?" Kim Chaewon smirked deviously down at her, standing a completely near, Kim Minjoo suddenly forgot why she was there.

"Uh, yeah," Minjoo said as they began to walk. "I, uh, just wanted to ask how you did it."

Chaewon looked puzzled. "Did what?"

"The quiz," Minjoo said, "How the heck did you get 100%?" Kim Chaewon chuckled and shoved her hands in her pockets as they both turned down the same hallway, realizing that their classrooms were right across from each other.

"I don't know. Math has always been my best subject," she replied nonchalantly. Minjoo nodded. This was her chance; maybe Minjoo could get Chaewon to offer to tutor her.

"Well, as you saw from that quiz, I did not understand that lesson at all," Kim Minjoo said, "Math has always been my least favorite subject."

"Really? I guess it was kind of a confusing concept. I could teach it to you if you want." Minjoo smiled as they stopped in front of our destinations: hers being Spanish III, Chaewon Honors Chem.

"That would be great!" Minjoo responded chirpily, "We could do it after school one day."

"How's today? Practice got cancelled so I'm free," Kim Chaewon suggested.

"Perfect," that long wavy haired girl said, not really caring if she had anything else going on. "I'll meet you in the library." Kim Chaewon nodded and said goodbye as they parted ways.

Score one for Minjoo.

.

.

.

"Oh my god, who are you?" Yuri shrieked. Minjoo waited until after school to tell Yuri about her study date with Kim Chaewon even though they had gym together last period. Now they stood in front of Minjoo's locker as she packed up.

"Jo Yuri, can you please keep your voice down?" Minjoo scolded her; people were staring.

"I cannot believe that my little, innocent, Minguri tricked Kim Chaewon into tutoring her," Riley whispered, "You sly ." Minjoo rolled her eyes at Yuri and shut her locker.

"Who's a sly ? Not my Minguri," Sakura said, grabbing Minjoo in a headlock. Minjoo punched her and managed to wiggle out of that skinny arms.

"Sakura, I'm still mad at you," Minjoo spat grumpily.

"Oh come on, minguri, how can you stay mad at this face?" Sakura pouted her lips and gave Minjoo puppy dog eyes. Minjoo scoffed and whacked her in the head with a notebook.

"Get out of here," that long wavy haired girl said, "I have to get going."

"You never get picked up this early," Sakura said, puzzled. Minjoo opened to explain, but Yuri beat her to it.

"Minguri has a date!" Minjoo face palmed and prayed that no one else heard her.

"It is not a date!" Kim Minjoo repeated to Yuri for the billionth time. Yuri just put her hands on her hips and stuck her tongue out at Minjoo. Real mature.

"Our little girl is finally growing up," she continued.

"A date? With whom? You can't go on a date until I've properly interrogated that person," Sakura said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Who are you, my mom?" Minjoo teased the older.

"It's a date with Kim Chaewon!" Yuri squealed. With that Minjoo whacked her with her notebook, too. Sakura raised her eyebrows in amusement. That short haired girl was about to say something – probably to make fun of Minjoo – but Minjoo cut her off.

"It is not a date," Minjoo said, "She's simply…tutoring me."

"What? The incredible, omniscient, Kim Minjoo needs a tutor?" Sakura faked shock. "In what subject?"

"If you really must know, it's math," Minjoo told her softly, "Now if you would stop grilling me, I have to go." Minjoo turned and left the two nimrods standing in the middle of the hall.

Kim Minjoo was a few steps away from the library when she froze up, suddenly nervous. She took a deep breath. 'Come on, Minjoo,' that girl thought to herself, 'you can do this. It's not even a date.'

Minjoo entered the large library and searched for Kim Chaewon. She wasn't at any of the tables that were in the middle of the library. Chaewon wasn't at a computer either. Minjoo began to walk towards the back, glancing down the several rows of bookcases as she passed them. Minjoowas about to admit defeat and decide that Chaewon wasn't coming when Minjoo came to the very last row. That long wavy haired girl peered down to the end, and there she was.

"Kim Minjoo," she whispered, grinning merrily. Minjoo strode over to her and looked at the spot she chose. It was the very last row in the back of the library, next to a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows. Minjoo smiled; it was the perfect hideaway.

"Hey," Minjoo greeted that red haired girl in a soft voice, "For a moment, I thought you weren't coming."

"I wouldn't stand you up like that," she said, "This is my favorite spot." Minjoo took a seat on the floor in between her and the window. Kim Chaewon scooted over a little, but it was still pretty cozy.

"No wonder I never see you here," Minjoo joked, "Do you come often?"

"Anytime practice gets cancelled," Chaewon told her, "I figure that I have nothing better to do." Minjoo chuckled and pulled out her Algebra II textbook, notebook, and a pencil. "What about you?"

"I come here almost every day," Minjoo confessed. To be honest, she's a bit of a nerd.

"Really? I feel like I would've seen you," she said, causing Minjoo to redden a little. Hopefully the blush Yuri put all over her cheeks earlier masked it.

"I usually choose to sit alone," Minjoo said, regretting it instantly, "Fewer distractions that way."

"Oh, I was going to offer to join you, but-"

"Oh, no, that's not, uh," Minjoo stuttered nervously, "I wouldn't mind." Great, now she sound like one of the desperate bimbos Kim Chaewon always has fawning over her. Minjoo just have to keep it cool and be herself. "So, should we get started?"

Kim Chaewon chuckled. "Yeah, what do you need help with?" Minjoo shamefully pulled out the C+ quiz and asked her what she did wrong. Chaewon began to walk her through step-by-step and showed Minjoo where she went wrong. Her voice was light, but the way she spoke so softly almost made Minjoo swoon. The way Chaewon explained everything was so much simpler than how Mr. Seunggi taught; Minjoo actually understood it now.

"Does that make sense?" Chaewon asked, meeting Minjoo eyes.

"Actually, it does," that long wavy haired girl admitted. Part of her wanted to say no so that their little study session would go on a bit longer, but she refused to turn into one of those girls who pretends to be dumb to get a Chaewon's attention. Minjoo looked at Chaewon, their faces only inches apart, and smiled. "Thank you so much. Next time I don't understand the homework, I'm coming straight to you first."

"Hey, anytime," Chaewon chuckled, "I'm glad I could help."

"So, why aren't you in Honors Algebra II?" Minjoo asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

"Uh, well, my parents didn't want me to take too many tough classes, with lacrosse being so demanding and all," she explained, "So I chose English and Chemistry." Minjoo nodded, still not sure why Chaewon didn't choose math.

"That's smart though," Minjoo said, "I have Honors English, Chemistry, and History, plus Spanish III." Chaewon seemed surprised.

"Spanish III? Impressive," she said, "Most people are only in Spanish II as a sophomore."

"Yeah, I don't know. I guess it kind of comes easily to me."

"I wish I could say the same for French," Chaewon muttered sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck making Minjoo giggled. The rest of their conversation went on similarly until Chaewon checked her phone a put her book away. Minjoo began to pack up her things as well.

"Well, it's four," Chaewon groaned, "I should probably get going." Minjoo nodded in agreement, trying to hide her disappointment. They both stood up and awkwardly tried to maneuver in the tiny space. Kim Chaewon bumped Minjoo's arm, causing her heavy math book to go crashing to the ground. Minjoo quickly jumped out of the way to avoid getting her toes crushed. Little did she know that she had jumped right into Chaewon's.

"Whoa," Chaewon said, catching Minjoo as she tripped. 'Why do I have to be so clumsy?' Then Minjoo realized that Chaewon had her hands on Minjoo's upper arms, helping Minjoo steady herself. That red haired girl didn't know that her touch was only making Minjoo woozier. Minjoo finally snapped out of her trance and picked up her textbook.

"Sorry, this could have broken a couple toes," kim Minjoo said wearily. Chaewon snorted and took the book from her hand.

"Then I better take it for you," Chaewon offered, "Are you going out the front?" Minjoo checked her phone and saw a text from her mom saying that she would be there in ten minutes.

"Yeah, thanks," Minjoo replied, following Chaewon away from the little nook. As they emerged from behind the shelf, Minjoo received several dirty looks. All from girls of course. Minjoo grinned to herself; they probably thought Minjoo and Chaewon were making out back there.

They walked together to the front of the building in silence, but not the awkward kind. When they got to the door, Minjoo paused.

"Do you have a ride home?" Chaewon asked, handing Minjoo her book, "I can drive you if you want."

Normally, Minjoo would be able to drive herself to school, but her older brother car is in the shop, so for some reason Minjoo had to surrender her car to him. Something about him being a senior and having special privileges…she don't really know. All Minjoo know is that she is currently paying for her gas, so she doesn't care.

"Oh, no it's fine. My mom said she'll be here soon."

"Okay," Chaewon said, "Let me know if you ever do though. I'll see you around." Minjoo waved and said goodbye, start to walked away from her. Minjoo could see someone with tall figure waiting for Chaewon in the hall way, as that red haired girl approaching that person the other began smiling 'isn't that Jang Wonyoung? Why did she smiled like that to Chaewon? Why did she alone? Didn’t she going out with ahn Yujin?' While their figures was gone, Minjoo shrugged her negative minds.

Minjoo sat down on the steps just inside the front door and leaned her head against the wall. She couldn't help but smile to herself. 'Yuri was right. Who am I? I went from being that quiet, smart girl who no one really notices, to hanging out with a hot tennis player.'

A loud buzzing woke Minjoo up from her daydreaming. "Hello?" Minjoo said into her phone without looking at the caller ID.

"Oh my god, Minguri, you have to tell me all about it right now!" Jo Yuri squealed. She was talking so loud that Minjoo had to hold the phone a foot away from her ear.

"I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong number," Minjoo said in a flat voice.

"Oh shut up, Minguri!" she yelled, "Do not leave me hanging here!"

"I don't know what you want me to say," Minjoo began, "We went to the library, and kim Chaewon taught me the lesson. She left five minutes ago. End of story."

"Oh, don't even! I already heard. Back of the library. Last row. The window. Whispering and giggling. A squeal even! Details now."

"How do you know all this?" Minjoo asked. She was stalking them!

"I have some…connections," she said slyly, "Hate to break it to you, babe, but I have other friends. Now spill it."

"Fine," Minjoo groaned, "I went to find Chaewon in the library, but I didn't see her, so I started walking towards the back so I could look down every row. I finally got to the last bookcase and there she was, sitting next to the window. I went back and sat next to Chaewon. I have to admit, it was pretty snug back there. Kim Chaewon said that it was her favorite spot. Then Chaewon started explaining what I did wrong on the math quiz – that would be the whispering. And believe it or not, but I actually understand it now. When we finished, we starting talking, and I guess maybe laughing a little. As for the squeal…you know me; I'm clumsy. I nearly broke my foot when I dropped my textbook. I jumped and lost balance, and she steadied me. Then we left the library, she offered to drive me home, then she left. Happy now?" Minjoo took a breath.

"No, I'm not happy!" she replied, "Why didn't you let him take you home?"

"Because my mom was already on the way," Minjoo snapped, losing her patience. Yuri sighed.

"Well, other than that, you did splendidly. Congrats," she said, unable to suppress a squeal any longer. Then they both said goodbye and hung up. A few minutes later, her mom arrived.

"Hey, honey," she said as Minjoo got in the car, "How was your day?"

Minjoo thought about the horrible events of this morning and said, "Wonderful, just wonderful."

 

.

.

.

.

.

To Be Continue

kimmyungsoojung © 2019