Notice Me

Make Signs

Chapter 1

.

.

It was new year of sophomore year of high school. So far, Kim Minjoo had managed to be her usual average self, never popping up in the daily gossip or drama. But hey, she liked it that way.

Minjoo walked into English class that Monday just like any other day. But, she was surprised to see that the other students who were there were not seated, and the desks were rearranged into table groups.

Kim Minjoo approached Miyawaki Sakura, her usual English class buddy. Not only had they’ve been close friends since kids, but both of them also the two smartest people in the class, so they decided to stick together even Sakura was one year older than her. "Hey, what's going on?" Minjoo asked sakura.

"New seats," Sakura groaned in response. Minjoo rolled her eyes. Why do teachers have to give them assigned seats? Minjoo felt that she worked much better sitting near her friends.

By the time the second bell had rung, signalizing the start of class, the rest of the students had shown up. "Okay, as you can see, I am assigning your seats now," The teacher’s name Soyu, declared. Without further hesitation, she began telling people where to sit. "Kim Minjoo," she called her name. Minjoo gravitated to the seat she motioned to.

The "tables" were formed by four desks pushed together. So far, Kim Minjoo sat across from Kim Chaewon and diagonal to Jang Gyuri. Gyuri was nice, intelligent, and quiet, but not very social. Kim Chaewon, on the other hand, was very famous tennis player and a bit cocky, but honestly Minjoo could get used to looking at Chaewon for fifty minutes first thing in the morning.

"And, next to Minjoo, let's have," Soyu began, searching for her next victim. Kim Minjoo prayed in her head that she would pick Sakura, but she knew the chances were slim. "Ahn Yujin," she announced. Minjoo gulped. Ahn Yujin, or another famous one called big doggy, was a star baseball player who was dating the most powerful girl in the grade, Jang Wonyoung. As anyone could imagine, Minjoo didn't talk to Yujin that much. Ever. So, she was stuck with three people she never spoke to in a class that she was very serious about. Sounds like a blast, isn’t it.

Teacher Soyu finished seating people, thankfully putting Sakura right behind Minjoo. Soyu made her way back to the front of the classroom and began class. "These are your new reading groups," she explained. Mental groan. "You will be reading and decoding poetry, analyzing epics, editing papers, and so on. I tried to put you with people you do not usually sit with so perhaps you will meet someone with the same interests as you. This will come in handy for your big, end-of-the-year project." The teacher rambled on about the project for a long time.

Minjoo turned her attention to her notebook, but stole a glance at Kim Chaewon. She had long red hair, round beautiful pair eyes like a deer, and an incredibly strange aura around her. Chaewon was a girl but sometimes, she can attracted the one that was watching her. Meanwhile, Ahn Yujin had medium black hair, and she’s really tall. Her eyes were this enchanting shade of light that could make any girl weak at the knees. And of course, Minjoo had a huge crush on her in seventh and eighth grade, but that was a long time ago.

"Hey, Kim Minjoo," someone whispered. Minjoo looked up, pulled out from her daydream. It was Kim Chaewon. she couldn't help the butterflies in her stomach when their eyes met, "Can I borrow a pen?"

"Oh, Sure," Minjoo replied, quickly digging through her pencil case. she handed Chaewon a black pen and smiled.

"Thanks so much," she said, her round eyes glinting in the light. Minjoo nodded, hoping she wasn't blushing. Minjoo guess she underestimated the mesmerizing power of Kim Chaewon’s allure.

Kim Minjoo picked up her own pen and started jotting down what Soyu was writing on the board. Twenty minutes later, the bell rang, freeing them from the torture of Honors English II.

"Oh, Minjoo," Kim Chaewon said as they both gathered their things. "Do you mind if I borrow your pen for the rest of the day? I lost all mine."

"Yeah, sure. It's no problem." Minjoo smiled and swung her bag over her shoulder. Chaewon shot her an irresistible, charming smile that nearly melted her heart. Minjoo spun around clumsily and bumped right into someone. "Oops, sorry," she mumbled.

"Whoa there, watch it," Sakura scoffed sarcastically. The cherry blossom girl scowled at Minjoo and nudged her shoulder. They both turned to leave, when Minjoo glanced back, Kim Chaewon was staring at her. Chaewon looked away quickly and picked up her bag.

"See you, Minjoo," she said before Minjoo walked out the door. Kim Minjoo turned back and smiled.

"Bye," Minjoo replied and caught up with Sakura, and they headed to their next class, Chemistry.

"What was that?" Sakura asked with a playful shove. Minjoo looked at Sakura, and the older girl wiggled her eyebrows at Minjoo.

"What was what?" Minjoo had no clue what her friend was talking about.

"Kim Chaewon saying bye to you, staring at you when you talked to me, stealing peeks at you during class." Her voice was teasing and suggestive.

"She was looking at me during class?" Minjoo kept her voice calm and hushed so Sakura couldn't hear the excitement in her voice. They turned down another hallway and arrived at their next classroom.

"Yep, multiple times," Sakura said, confirmed, "Maybe it's because you look especially pretty today." Minjoo was shocked that Sakura would say something like that.

Well, all Minjoo did was put a little more effort into her outfit more than usual, but would Sakura notice? She was simply wearing dark skinnies with pink sweater. Her hair was soft and wavy. As for makeup, She just kept pretty natural, just foundation, some mascara, and a rosy blush.

"Really?" Minjoo inquired, mocking Sakura a little. Sakura blushed slightly as they took their usual seats in the back of the room. Minjoo put her books on her desk and prepared for class.

"I didn't mean it like that, just, uh," Sakura stuttered nervously with a big sigh. "It just looks like you tried a little harder today." Kim Minjoo giggled at her friend obvious embarrassment. "Oh shut up."

"I'm not making fun of you!" Minjoo said, "Just flattered that you noticed." Minjoo smiled teasingly at Sakura to her agitation. She glanced around, hoping none of her friends saw this little scene.

Class began a couple minutes later. Mr. Henry droned on about who knows what, but Minjoo was too preoccupied to pay attention. she was thinking about what Sakura said about Kim Chaewon. And what the older said about her.

‘Was Kim Chaewon really staring at me? Did Sakura really think I was pretty? I needed to have a serious conversation with Yuri today.

.

.

.

Kim Minjoo practically sprinted to lunch the second the bell rang. "See you later, Jiheon," she muttered to Baek Jiheon, the girl Minjoo sat next to in history class, as Minjoo slipped out of the room. She needed to track down Jo Yuri before Sakura got to the cafeteria.

"Jo Yuri!" Minjoo shouted as she approached the table. Thankfully, Sakura wasn't there, but Yuri's girlfriend, Choi Yena, another star of tennis player, was there. Minjoo liked Yena too, but she could be a hot-shot on more than one occasion. Choi Yena also got more attention from Yuri than she did, and as Yuri best friend, Minjoo had the right to be jealous of her girlfriend.

"Hey, Minguri," she replied coolly. Only her closest friends, like Yuri, Sakura, and her family allowed to call her Minguri. Minjoo hated it when people she’s not really friends with tried to call her Minguri; it just felt really wrong.

"Hey, I really need to talk to you," Minjoo whispered, eyeing Yena, "It's urgent. And private." Yena smirked at Minjoo, understanding what she was hinting at. Jo Yuri gave Minjoo a tight smile, showing her irritation.

"Babe, do you want me to buy your lunch?" Yena offered her. She shot the cubby girl a sweet smile.

"Ow, You're wonderful, thank you." Yuri handed Yena some money and watched her longingly as she headed to the lunch line. Minjoo felt a twinge of guilt. The long wavy haired girl hated being their third wheel; always coming between them. But this time, it was an exception.

"So, what is it this time?" she asked, pretending to be annoyed. Minjoo sat down next to her and pulled her chair closer so she could keep their conversation somewhat private.

"Okay, I have to say this before Sakura arrives," Kim Minjoo began, searching for her best buddy once more. Once the girl was sure the coast was clear, Minjoo continued. "Today in English, Soyu put us in table groups, and I'm with Jang Gyuri, Kim Chaewon, and Ahn Yujin." Jo Yuri grinned, but then it faded when she realized how awkward it must have been. "At first, I was nervous about sitting next to Yujin, because, you know, she's hot and popular. But then, Kim Chaewon asked me for a pen, and when our eyes met…" Minjoo trailed off, but Yuri understood.

"Oh my goodness! Did you and Kim Chaewon have a connection?" Jo Yuri squealed with excitement, her eyes almost bursting out of her head.

"Let me finish!" Minjoo scolded. "When the bell rang, I started talking to Sakura, and I caught Kim Chaewon staring at me, but when I looked at her, Chaewon quickly turned her head. But, when I left, she said goodbye to me." Yuri gasped and wiggled in her seat. "Then, Sakura said that he noticed that Kim Chaewon kept looking at me during class. I asked Sakura why, and she said, and I quote, 'maybe it's because your look especially pretty today!' Then, Sakura started blushing. Blushing! It was so strange!"

"What? Sakura was blushing, and she called you pretty?" Yuri exclaimed, just as surprised as Minjoo was. "Oh my god. Sakura likes you!" Minjoo’s cheeks blared red and she smacked Yuri.

"There is no way Sakura likes me," Minjoo retorted. ‘She couldn't like me. We were like a family. There was no way.’

"Well, but I think Kim Chaewon clearly likes you!" Yuri's face lit up, her eyes beamed. "Oh my god, Kim Chaewon, the incredible tennis player and level ten cutie pie, likes you!"

"You say that as if it's impossible," Minjoo remarked making Yuri glared at her.

"You know that's not what I meant, Minguri." Just then, a hand grasped her shoulder, and its owner took the seat next to Minjoo. She knew who it was already, but Yuri's suggestive look gave it away for sure.

"My two favorite ladies," Sakura boomed, "What are we gossiping about toady?" She proceeded to unpack her lunch as she waited for Minjoo and Yuri’s response. When they didn't answer, she gave them each a suspicious look. "What? Is there something in my teeth?" Yuri and Minjoo exchanged glances and laughed at her, our poor, conceited friend. Sakura just shrugged her shoulders and shoved food down .

A couple minutes later, Choi Yena returned with Yuri's food, and another girl approached the table. Kim Chaewon. Minjoo swallowed hard when she saw her looming above their sad little lunch table. Thankfully, she tapped on Sakura's shoulder and not mine.

"Hey, Chaewon," Sakura grumbled between bites, "What's up?"

"I was just wondering if you were still driving me home today," Kim Chaewon asked, not even looking at Minjoo.

"Yeah," Sakura replied, unnecessarily loudly, "No problem." Kim Chaewon grinned and punched Sakura's shoulder before walking away. Just before she turned to leave, she looked at Minjoo and smiled warmly. Minjoo was too taken aback to realize what had happened in time to smile back.

"Kim Chaewon just smiled at you," Yuri squeaked, wide-eyed. Minjoo shifted uncomfortably. It was fine when it was just Yuri and her, but then, with Yena and Sakura there, Minjoo felt uneasy. She noticed Miyawaki Sakura tense up a little out of the corner of her eye. Was she jealous? Minjoo cleared and blatantly ignored her.

To her relief, another person showed up to take the attention off of Minjoo. Her name was Yabuki Nako. She and Yuri had a few classes together, so they were always asking each other homework questions. That day, she decided to join them for lunch, which wasn't that unusual, but it didn't happen too often.

"Hey, Nako, what brings you here?" Yuri inquired somewhat politely. Nako smiled and pulled out her lunch.

"The people I usually sit with all have a math test next period, so they're studying in the library," she responded with a hint of sadness in her voice. Minjoo wasn't exactly friends with Nako, but she was really sweet.

"Well we're glad to have you," Sakura told her kindly. Nako smiled seeming surprised.

The rest of lunch went on rather uneventfully. The lovebirds kept giggling and flirting, occasionally breaking so Yuri could include Nako in the conversation. Minjoo usually talked with Sakura, but today she tried to keep busy with the food, so they only exchanged a few words here and there. Before Minjoo was flattered by her compliment, but she slowly felt more and more uncomfortable and just plain confused. Sakura seemed to be acting normal, but Minjoo just couldn't get her strange behavior out of her head.

The second Minjoo finished eating, she packed up to leave. "Well, I'm going to head out. Bye," the girl said as she stood up.

"See you later, Minjoo," Yuri responded with a wink. Minjoo then turned her attention towards Sakura.

"Later, Minguri," she said calmly. With that, Minjoo departed from the cafeteria and wandered up to her locker. As she was putting some books away, she was met by yet another surprising visitor.

"Minjoo," Ahn Yujin greeted her from a few lockers down. Minjoo turned and offered small but friendly smile.

"Oh, Yujin, hey," Minjoo replied, having no idea how to react. Like she said before, she never spoke with Ahn Yujin on a casual occasion.

"Would it be cool if I borrowed your notes from English today? I sort of spaced out and missed a few things." Yujin rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. Minjoo couldn't help but smirk at her embarrassment.

"Of course," Minjoo said. She took her notebook back out of her locker and handed it to the tall girl.

"Thank you so much," she beamed, "You're a life saver, Minjoo." Minjoo was a bit caught off guard by Yujin’s compliment. Well, it was probably just something she said to anyone who helped her out. Yujin didn't even know her.

"It's no problem." Minjoo smiled kindly, which she quickly returned.

"I'll see you around," Yujin said as she walked away. Kim Minjoo leaned against her locker in amusement. All of a sudden, popular girls that is – were noticing her. Three, attractive girls complimented her in one day. The baskeball player Ahn Yujin, her best friend, Sakura, next Kim Chaewon.

But Kim Minjoo just srugghed all her thought and thinking about Kim Chaewon who didn't directly compliment her leaving the finest impression on her, but just the fact that she looked at her differently was all Minjoo needed.

.

.

.

.

.

To Be Continue

kimmyungsoojung © 2019