If I’d found the right words to say

Fire and Rain

Chanyeol raises his hand in the air gesturing for them to stop, everyone abruptly halts  playing their instruments and looks at the bassist in surprise.

Baekhyun pauses midway at the chorus, “What happened?” He asks in confusion.

“It doesn’t sound right...specially the pre-chorus, it sounds way too high pitched” Chanyeol states in dissatisfaction. Jongdae turns his head and exchanges a look with Minseok who just sighs heavily.

They are just practising their own songs with Baekhyun to make him familiar with their music. This is the second time that Chanyeol has stopped in the middle because he isn’t  content with how things are going.

Still clutching onto the lyrics sheet Baekhyun says softly, “Sorry, Il tone it down...can we start from the beginning?” He is trying his best to sound polite. 

After Jongdae plays his opening keyboard solo on cue Baekhyun grabs the microphone tightly bringing it closer to his face he starts singing. Keeping in mind he sings softly, lowering his pitch. Baekhyun still hanging on his last note again gets stopped by Chanyeol who fans his hand dismissively with an annoyed expression. 

“Now what?” Jongdae asks in impatience. 

Chanyeol swings the guitar over his shoulder, “Baekhyun’s voice is getting drowned out by the drumming” 

“So it’s my fault now?” Sehun quirks an eyebrow pointing his finger to himself. 

Chanyeol shakes his head “No, Baekhyun your voice is sounding too soft” he says staring at the vocalist with a blank face. 

“I thought you wanted me to lower my pitch just now” Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol like he has said the most ridiculous thing. 

“Well something definitely doesn’t sound right...this song is part of our show...seems like we have to change the set list since you are not able to sing this correctly” Chanyeol declares going back to his own position. 

Baekhyun can feel his ears heating up. 

“Hey it’s his second day of rehearsal cut him some slack...He needs time to understand the sound” Minseok finally suggests eyeing both of them. 

“That’s the problem we don’t have a lot of time in our hands” Chanyeol says matter of factly. 

Baekhyun nods his head admittingly, “Fine just play after Jongdae’s part, Il try to sing correctly this time” he knows his words are coming off a bit rude but he honestly feels tired of being put to blame. 

Sehun quickly starts upon the drum, and others play along with him as Baekhyun taking a deep breath sings, he thinks this time it’s going well since Chanyeol hasn’t stopped him yet. As the song transitions to the outro, Chanyeol suddenly strums a more different tune, Minseok looks up furrowing his eyebrows but he matches his chords with the other and Jongdae also accommodates by adjusting his settings immediately. Baekhyun fails to catch up with them and goes off track. 

Everyone halts staring at him questioningly. 

“Sorry” Baekhyun puts the microphone back to its stand and steps away from it. 

“Why did you change the tune out of nowhere?” Baekhyun huffs standing in front of Chanyeol. 

“Excuse me, did you even listen to the song? That’s how it goes” Chanyeol argues widening his eyes. 

“I did listen to the song” Baekhyun shot back. 

“Well we are playing the new arrangement, it is also added in the CD I gave you...you clearly haven’t listened to it” Chanyeol’s lips curve into a mocking smile as if he has won a round of whatever internal war he thinks he is on. 

Before Baekhyun has a chance to reply Sehun taps the ride cymbal with his drumstick as if to draw attention, “Can we take a break so they can argue in peace because I need a smoke” 

“Yes please me too” Jongdae gets up from his bench and accompanies  Sehun out of the room. 

After the two leave, Baekhyun turns back to Chanyeol and counters him with firmness “You could have just given me a heads up that your aren’t playing the original one”

“I thought you are a trained singer aren’t you supposed to be able to face challenges?” Chanyeol throws a taunting glance at him and goes back to plucking random strings on his guitar. 

“That’s enough” Minseok cuts in glowering at the bassist, “Il help you run through the songs once again before we start practicising” he turns towards Baekhyun with a smile. 

“Sure” Baekhyun follows the other quietly ignoring Chanyeol. 

After going over the song with Minseok playing the guitar Baekhyun somewhat feels more confident. 

As Sehun and Jongdae get back from their break they reposition themselves to their instruments and get ready to rehearse. 

However this time Baekhyun finally gets to sing the whole song without any further complaints.

When they come down to the last song for the day, Baekhyun has to admit its a difficult one with a lot of high and low notes, he isn’t exactly used to practicing for such long hours and gets out of breath as he tries to transition from one resister to the other. It affects his voice and his eyes automatically dart towards Chanyeol who stops playing and clicks his tongue in disapproval. 

“It’s alright, guess you are tired” Sehun says loudly watching the embarrassed look on Baekhyun’s face “We all are actually, I am sweating bullets right now” he adds wiping his face. 

Baekhyun gives a small smile to the drummer understanding that he is trying to lighten the situation. 

Chanyeol twists his head to the back and scoffs, “Sehun we have only practiced for what like 3 hours? We usually do more how are you even tired?” 

Baekhyun swallows the obvious jibe that is indirectly aimed at him. 

“Chanyeol can I have a minute?” Baekhyun finally speaks after being pushed over his edge for the nth time today. 

Hearing his name being called Chanyeol turns around with a startled expression, “What?” 

“Can I talk to you? alone?” Baekhyun requests  

Chanyeol stares at him with hardened eyes for a few seconds then nods his head and follows the singer out of the door as the others watch them curiously. 

 

Baekhyun keeps walking until they reach the corner of the road. The place is quieter than the main street where their studio is settled in. Chanyeol crosses his arms and leans on the wall waiting for whatever the other has to say he watches the street lights clicking on as the sunlight slowly subdues. 

Baekhyun steps in front of Chanyeol so he can face him “Why did you agree to take me in the band if you hate me so much?” He questions bluntly. 

What? Chanyeol looks at the shorter trying to comprehend his question. 

“Who said I hate you?”

Baekhyun chews on his bottom lip pausing then he speaks again, “Well then you clearly have some personal vendetta against me” 

Chanyeol can’t help but chuckle at the other’s choice of words, “Sorry but I can assure you that it’s nothing personal” 

“Then why are you acting like this since the moment I stepped inside the studio the very first day, you absolutely can’t stand me being a part of the band...you can tell me you know” Baekhyun’s voice sounds a lot softer this time and somehow it tugs on a sentiment in Chanyeol’s heart he wonders if he has been behaving so rudely. 

Heaving a sigh Chanyeol shakes his head, “It’s nothing like that...I am sorry if I acted so closed off, I am usually more patient it’s just that..” he trails of hesitatingly, he isn’t sure what to say. He knows that he is taking out the buried anger and hurt caused by someone else on Baekhyun which is childish and unlike him. 

“It’s just what?” Baekhyun asks under his breath “Tell me if I am doing something wrong?” 

“I am sorry,Il try not be behave that way from now on anyway let’s go back” Chanyeol mumbles zipping up his jacket upto his neck, suddenly realising how awkward it is standing with Baekhyun alone without his band mates and he curses himself for agreeing to come with him.

Chanyeol takes a step off the pavement and momentarily stops as he feels a tug on his sleeve, he glances at Baekhyun inquisitively. 

“If I wanted to hear you apologising I would have confronted you infront of everyone, and not ask you to talk to me alone” Baekhyun comments with an unreadable expression. 

“They what do you want to hear?” Chanyeol’s asks eyes drifting to Baekhyun’s long fingers’s still clutching on his jacket. 

“The truth” as if realising Baekhyun loosens his grip blushing a little, even though it’s not really visible under the yellow street lights it somehow doesn’t go unnoticed from Chanyeol eyes. 

“The only reason I agreed to audition for this band because Kyungsoo requested me, he is a good friend of mine and he told me that this was really important to him, that he would mean a lot to him” 

Chanyeol looks away at the mention of his name. Baekhyun too involved in his thoughts goes on, “He told me that this band is a part of his life also the band mates...and I honestly like being a part of it everyone is really nice to me except you. I don’t expect you to like me just now but you have been behaving like you regret me being part of the band” Baekhyun finally pauses to take a breath from his ranting his lips. 

“I don’t regret taking you” Chanyeol confesses, and it’s true even though he doesn’t want to admit Baekhyun is good and has exceeded his expectations with his skills.

“Did he ever tell you why he left?” Chanyeol inquires out of curiosity, He wonders Kyungsoo thought of him when he talked about the band being a part of his life. Probably not. 

Baekhyun blinks a few times, “He said that it was time he did something else...”

Chanyeol just nods with a small smile. 

“Is that why you are angry?” Baekhyun asks seriously but his voice has a concerned tone that makes Chanyeol look back at him. 

“Did you not want him to leave?” He asks again this time it’s a mere whisper but Chanyeol hears it alright. 

“You can say that” Chanyeol agrees letting his lips curl into a sad smile. 

Baekhyun opens his mouth then snaps it shut immediately, his eyes never leaving Chanyeol’s face as if searching for more answers. He wraps his arms around his body as the cold wind blows, teasing his blonde locks draped over his forehead. 

Chanyeol realises that Baekhyun isn’t wearing any warm layers other than a long sleeved tshirt which says ‘You are the CSS to my HTML’ he had held himself from making an off handed comment the moment Baekhyun had stepped inside the studio but right now he knows that the other will probably fall sick if they stand here for too long. 

“It’s getting cold let’s go inside” Chanyeol mutters pointing towards the studio, Baekhyun nods his head and starts walking beside him. 

“Can’t have you mess up our songs because of a bad throat” Chanyeol says but there is no sarcasm in his tone instead he grins at the other. 

Baekhyun groans exasperatedy at that, “Here I thought you actually care about me” he chuckles back at him. 

The rest of the short time walk they both fall silent but it doesn’t feel awkward, When they finally reach the studio Jongdae exclaims the moment Chanyeol closes the door behind him, “Woah you guys came back in one piece...thought someone would have had his head ripped off” 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes at his friend being so over dramatic, and Baekhyun laughs settling himself on another spare chair. 

“So you guys are cool now?” Sehun asks innocently. 

“You can say that” Baekhyun answers to Sehun then turns around to face Chanyeol giving him a knowing look, as if they are sharing a secret that only both of them know.

Chanyeol grins at him, and for the first time it isn’t forced or mocking, it comes naturally and he feels a sense of comfort in it when Baekhyun smiles back at him, Chanyeol can’t help but think that it’s a nice smile and he wouldn’t mind seeing more of it. 

                              .....