Move along, like i know you do.

Fire and Rain

 Minseok texted in their group chat asking everyone to come down to the studio for an urgent meeting. 

“Is everything alright, you sounded pretty serious over the text?” Sehun comments glancing at the small guitarist who is already waiting for them as they all stepped inside the room.

“Yah it is serious” Minseok nods his head. 

“Please tell me you aren’t leaving too we might as well disband then huh” Jongdae  taunts ping his jacket. 

To which Chanyeol sends a death glare at the keyboardist. 

“Too soon to joke Dae” Sehun smacks him in the arm. Sehun might be the youngest but Jongdae is the one who needs a brain to mouth filter for his comments. 

Jongdae shrugs without an ounce of regret. 

“Anyway insensitive jokes aside, seriously why did you call us here?” Chanyeol enquires leaning on the wall. 

“Well I had a talk with Soo” Minseok pauses to see Chanyeol who immediately stiffens at the mention of his name, “I asked him to send in the vocalist so we can audition him” 

“I don’t remember agreeing to any of this” Chanyeol protests furrowing his eyebrows. 

“Too bad we all agree, it’s 3 against 1, until and unless you can come up with a better solution we might as well hear him” Minseok replies calmly. 

Chanyeol immediately snaps his mouth shut, inspite of being the leader he has never spoken up against Minseok as he is the oldest, and he has always considered the guitarist as his elder brother. 

“Well lets see how it goes, if he doesn’t fit the sound of our band we will look for someone else...I have a lot of friends in other bands I can arrange someone” Sehun suggests eyeing Chanyeol who looks completely out of it. 

Minseok rolls his eyes, “I remember the time Dae was sick and you brought this girl to play in his place and then we found her completely trashed inside the closet even before the show started...no offense but I don’t have much faith in your friends” he smirks at Sehun whose face flushes in embarrassment. 

“That was one time Hyung, she is really good though I had no idea that she would end up getting stoned” Sehun whines loudly almost sounding like a toddler. 

Jongdae snickers and before he can say something, there is a knock on the door. 

Sehun standing near the door opens and turns to the others looking confused, as another guy’s head peeks in with a nervous smile. 

“This is the studio for Platonic Alle...Allegory right” he squints his eyes staring at his palm raised over his face trying to read the words. 

“Yah it is, who are you?” Sehun enquires eyeing the guy. 

“Ohh..I am Baekhyun..Kyungsoo sent me, he said that you guys need a vocalist” he looks up from his hand with a beaming smile. 

Sehun peers over the other’s hand, “You wrote the name of our band in your palm...you haven’t even heard of us?” He asks sounding genuinely offended. 

“Yah I was in a hurry and I wrote it down, and it got a little smudged...sorry I haven’t heard of you guys before is that okay?” Baekhyun’s eyes drifts over everyone. 

Before the drummer has an opportunity to say anything Minseok finally speaks trudging towards the door “It’s alright, Sehun loves bullying people” 

“I am Minseok, the guitarist of the band and please come in” He welcomes Baekhyun and leading him inside the studio. 

Chanyeol watches the guy and immediately wants to laugh, he is small almost the same height as Kyungsoo but lacks the confidence, in his bright yellow tshirt which is a size too big for him he looks like a child in adult’s clothes. From his soft flower boy face, and fluffy blonde hair he will probably fit singing in some bubblegum pop group definitely not their band.

Maybe he is being too judgemental but he can’t accept anyone in Kyungsoo’s position even after everything. 

“You have already met Minseok hyung he is the oldest and the wisest, this guy with the perpetual bored face is the baby drummer of our band- Sehun and I am Jongdae the keyboardist you might hate me or love there is no in between” Jongdae finishes the introduction winking at Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun smiles in response and then his eyes questioningly darts towards the corner of the room. 

“And He...is?” 

“Ohh he is Chanyeol the full time angsty brooding hero and part time leader and bassist  of our band” 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes at his bandmate, he nods his head slightly in acknowledgment, then shuffles towards his bass guitar. 

“So can you introduce yourself to us” Minseok drags a chair beside the keyboardist and settles himself. Sehun stands behind Minseok leaning over him. 

Baekhyun his lip nervously as he sees three pairs of curious eyes at him intently “I am Byun Baekhyun, I have a degree in performance art...I also know how to play a cello—“

”Cello? This isn’t a choir it’s an alternative rock band” Chanyeol scoffs. 

“Umm...I know I was just saying...sorry” 

“Please ignore him, he is just being difficult...anyway do you have any experience in performing?” Minseok asks looking slightly miffed at his bandmate. 

“Yah I used to be a part of a group we used have jam sessions in bar’s but we had some internal conflicts so anyway I don’t have stage fright if that’s what you are asking” Baekhyun offers with a small smile. 

“There is a huge difference in between live music in jazz bar’s with a few drunk people as audience and performing on stage in front of a huge crowd...guess you aren’t aware of it” Chanyeol jeers plugging the amp to his guitar. 

“Even though he is being a total he actually has a point” Jongdae says quirking his lips. 

Seeing Baekhyun’s crestfallen expression Minseok quickly changes the topic, “We can discuss that later, why don’t you show us what you got...Kyungsoo had really nice things to say about you” 

“Well let’s not forget he was just trying to get his out of the problem” Jongdae rolls his eyes adjusting the volume of his keyboard. 

“Okay...guys lets get ready” Minseok stands up gesturing them to take their positions infront of their instruments,then he turns to Chanyeol “We need the bass too” 

“Fine, Il play” his eyes flickers from the guitarist to the new guy, “Can you even sing something rock-ish?” Chanyeol asks tilting his head to the side. 

Baekhyun just nods in response, his fist balling up feeling insulted not that anyone can see through the long sleeves of his hoodie anyway. He wonders why Kyungsoo never mentioned that the bassist is an . 

“Also in case if your planning to sing Wonderwall then just don’t” 

“Chanyeol give it a rest...let him sing whatever he likes” Finally Sehun interrupts feeling bad for Baekhyun. He remembers the day he auditioned for the band and Chanyeol was really nice to him...he knows the reason behind his friend’s taunting and bad mood. 

“I wasnt gonna, Anyway I thought Il sing Call me when your sober if that’s okay” Baekhyun answers curtly. 

Recieving a supportive nod from the others and just a blank stare from Chanyeol, Baekhyun closes his eyes and breaths out slowly before starting the soft, opening chords to the song only pausing between the beats. 

Chanyeol stares at the singer lazily as his fingers work the strings of the bass, he honestly has no expectation from Baekhyun. He imagines Kyungsoo’s singing which has always been something that he can’t seem to get out of his head. 

As Baekhyun reaches to the chorus he finally opens his eyes fixing his gaze on the wall infront. 

Surprisingly Baekhyun has a powerful voice and he even belts out the high notes smoothly. 

As he finishes Jongdae lurches from his seat towards him, “! you are really good” he gushes. 

“Thank you” Baekhyun sounds a bit out of breath. 

“Kyungsoo was right, this was..this was great” Minseok replies encouragingly. Even Sehun gives him a thumbs up with a big grin from behind his drum set. 

Baekhyun blushes slightly at the compliment, then he turns to Chanyeol with a forced smile, “So what did you think?” 

“It was okay I guess,i would like to hear another song though and try to make some eye contact with everyone...you are really stiff” Chanyeol offers his opinion with a small shrug. 

“Another song? now?” Baekhyun implores widening his eyes. 

“Well you don’t really expect us to come to a decision based on one song do you?” 

“No no, I just need a few minutes...that’s all” 

“Take your time” Jongdae pats his shoulder and goes back to his keyboard. 

Gulping down some water, and calming his nerves Baekhyun picks up the microphone. He sings softly this time with more confidence as he relaxes with the music.  

 

Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?’

Chanyeol looks up to find Baekhyun staring at him directly, He can see the spots of gold dancing in his irises and there something hypnotising about it and he isn’ sure why, feeling unnerved Chanyeol tears his gaze away. 

This time finishing the song Baekhyun bows to them and goes back to sit on the chair wiping the tiny beads of sweat from his forehead.  

“Thank you for today,you can leave...we will let you know the result” Chanyeol deadpans fixing his guitar on the stand ignoring the glare from Minseok. 

“Sorry he isn’t usually like this, it’s just that we have a gig in a few weeks and we don’t have a vocalist, we are kinda under pressure” Sehun quickly apologises on his friend’s behalf. 

Baekhyun just nods his head with a small smile. 

“We will give you a call immediately when we come down to a decision, you are really amazing...thank you so much for today” Minseok says shaking his hand. 

Baekhyun waits as the guitarist saves his phone number, he stops for a second then smirks “Hey don’t ask someone to make an eye contact when you can’t even look them in the eye and talk”

Chanyeol lifts his head up and gapes at him, his jaw clenches in irritation but he stays quiet to avoid further conflict. 

Waving a goodbye to the others Baekhyun leaves. 

                                 ....

“He has my vote” Jongdae blurts out after sometime to which both Sehun and Minseok bob their head in approval. 

“Don’t you have something to say?” Jongdae nudges Chanyeol. 

“What do you guys want me to say anyway? By the looks of it you three are already fangirling enough” Chanyeol says mockingly. 

“You know you are being really rude since the beginning, What is your problem anyway?” Minseok’s tone raises slightly which is so unlike of him. 

“I don’t know” Chanyeol shrugs and goes back to poking the hole on the knee of his ripped jeans. 

“Guess what you need to know, because we have a gig, I get it that you don’t want anyone to take Kyungsoo’s place, but news flash he is gone and we have to move on...and so do you” Minseok’s face flushes scarlet as he snaps. 

“Calm down Hyung, Chanyeol is just upset” Sehun says quitely his eyes wavering between the other’s. 

“We all are upset, but Chanyeol here is acting like a prepubescent teenager as if the whole situation is only affecting him, stop being so selfish for once” 

Chanyeol fixes his gaze on the ground. 

“It’s a little different for him isn’t it” Jongdae says gently placing a hand on Chanyeol’s back to which He looks at the keyboardist who is staring back at him sympathetically. 

“Hey I maybe an sometimes but am not stupid...I know” Jongdae murmurs with a smile. 

“Guess I wasn’t that subtle with my feelings was i?” Chanyeol asks, suddenly he feels like an open book ready for everyone to read. 

“I...I didn’t know...why didn’t you tell me?” Minseok’s expression softens as he reaches out to touch the bassists hand. 

“What did you want me to say? I valued our friendship so much that I didn’t even have the nerve to tell him, I kept thinking that someday he will understand that I didn’t know when our band became second best to him” Chanyeol’s voice chokes a little, he looks up to see the other three gazing at him sadly. It makes him feel more suffocated, the last thing he needs is pity for his failed love life. 

“No one is going to replace Kyungsoo you know...I understand how you feel” Minseok says after sometime. 

Chanyeol knows no one can actually understand how he feels but he appreciates the support from them, he adds with a smile “I am sorry how I behaved today, if you guys want to take him it’s fine with me” 

“Are you sure? We don’t want to do anything if you don’t feel comfortable with it...” Jongdae sighs. 

“No no, the show is more important than my ego. We need a singer anyway...Baekhyun is okay I guess..I mean better than okay” Chanyeol says reassuringly. 

“Great! I knew you would come around, Sehun you owe me 20 bucks” Jongdae laughs sticking his palm out to the younger to which Sehun groans. 

“You guys made a bet on this? Seriously?” Chanyeol asks looking baffled. 

“Yah I thought you will never agree on accepting Baekhyun in our band since you were being such a to him, can’t believe I lost to Dae” Sehun scowls as he takes out the money from his wallet. 

“I texted Baekhyun, he will be there for our rehearsal tomorrow..” Minseok replies eyes glued to his phone. 

Chanyeol nods his head distractedly as he listens to the ongoing banter between his band mates slowly all the thoughts clustering his mind tune out as he realises that maybe things will be okay since he has his friends with him maybe not now but definitely with time.  

                                 ....