Contented

Auspicious Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, do you like toast?” 

It’s Chaeng’s voice, only this time she isn’t dreaming.

Lisa’s eyes snaps open to see a goddess standing purposefully beside the bed, dressed only in an oversized shirt. It takes her a minute to adjust to what she’s seeing and to realize she wasn’t dreaming. Too long, apparently, for Chaeyoung, so she snaps her fingers above Lisa’s head.

“Helllooooo?Earth to Lisa?!”

Without thinking, Lisa grabs Chaeyoung’s hand before she can pull them away. She lets go a moment later and slides up into a sitting position, yawning dramatically before she answers the question posed to her when she first woke up.

“Yeah, I like toast. You makin’ some?” She murmurs sleepily, stretching and making some unattractive stretching sounds that cause Chaeyoung to grin widely at her.

“I am. And by the way, you’re cute in the morning.” Chaeyoung giggles and scurries off before Lisa has a chance to respond to her strange compliment.

Lisa was speechless. She takes her time to make a pit stop to the bathroom. She uses a brush lying on the table nearby and returns her hair to some semblance of normal before returning to the bedroom. She doesn’t mean to snoop but she sees something near the bottom of the bed and she leans down to pick it up, realizing when it’s in her hand that it’s a stuffed chipmunk.

A grin comes to her face upon imagining Chaeyoung sleeping with a stuffed animal, but she’s not able to be amused for long because the other girl arrives carrying a plate of toast and a glass of orange juice. She sits them down on the bedside table and gasps when she discovers what her friend is holding.

Snatching the stuffed animal from Lisa’s hands, Chaeyoung’s face turns pink. 

“What are you doing with chippy?” She asks accusingly, the animal’s fur with an oddly protective nature. Lisa bursts out laughing.

“I just never figured you for the stuffed animal type.”

“yeah, well, you don’t know everything about me.” Chaeyoung huffs, hugging the chipmunk and placing it in the armchair in the corner. She sits down on the edge of the bed. “Anyway, I brought you a toast and orange juice. Hope you like orange.”

“I love orange!” Lisa assures her, in an attempt to win back her attention. She seems genuinely bothered that she laughed at her over the stuffed chipmunk and she feels a little guilty about it. The hurt on Chaeyoung’s face isn’t helping.

“So, how long you been awake?” Lisa asked.

Chaeyoung shrugged. “Couple hours, maybe. I don’t get hangovers. I’m blessed that way. Anyway, I got up to work out, like I do every morning.”

The blonde girl looks surprise. “You do?”

“How else do you think I keep up this amazing body of mine?”

“You got a point.” Lisa picks up a triangle of toast from the plate and takes a bite, murmuring when she swallows. “You make good toast.”

“I know right?” Chaeyoung giggles.

Lisa laughs and asked, “What time is it anyway?”

“One-fifteen.”Chaeyoung answers.

“. Practice is in like an hour, ain’t it?”

“Uh huh. How’s your head?

“Seems to be splittin in half, if the sensation’s any indication.”

"I can get you some Advil or something. Hold on." She hops up from the bed and crosses the room, taking a bottle off the shelf. She carries it back and s it in Lisa’s direction.

Lisa thanks her and takes the medication, hoping it will ease up her headache which seems to be a well-earned migraine. She drank more than she usually does last night and now she's paying for it in spades. She finishes the toast and juice, murmuring that she'd like to go back to her place to take a shower and change before practice. Chaeyoung remarks that it would probably be weird if they show up to practice together anyway. The comment strikes her as odd but Lisa doesn't say anything, telling the taller girl goodbye and being genuinely surprised when she's captured in a tight hug.

"I had fun." She admits as she pulls away, with all the charm of a six year old after experiencing a particularly enjoyable carnival ride. "We should hang out more often."

"Well, we still on for dinner tonight?"

Chaeyoung had forgotten all about the plans they made last night but she nods in recognition once it's brought up again. She wonders what she's going to wear and where they're going to go and oh god it's a date, she's never been on a date. How's she supposed to act? Lisa’s obviously the guy, right? So is Chaeyoung supposed to wear a dress and let her open doors and all that like in the movies? Is she going to be receiving flowers? She doesn't even think she owns a vase but maybe she has a glass tall enough…

Lisa rips her from her anxieties, putting a hand on her shoulder as she notices the strange unreadable expression on Chaeyoung’s face.

"You okay? If you don't wanna go to dinner, it's fine. It won't hurt my feelings none."

"No. I mean, yes. I want to go. I was just…" She blushes a little. "I was just trying to figure out what's expected of me on a date. I mean it's a date and I've never been on one and what do I wear and what do we do and am I supposed to sleep with you after?"

She's actually completely adorable when she's flustered, Lisa thinks as she listens to her friend's rambling words. With her hand still on her shoulder, she squeezes it with a reassuring smile.

"Don't be nervous. It's only me. Wear whatever you want, we're just gonna eat and maybe hang out later if you want and no, you're not supposed to do anything you don't wanna do."

"But what if I want to? Sleep with you, I mean."

"Uh." Now it's Lisa’s that's flustered. "That's up to you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blinks practice seems to drag on for an excruciatingly long time. It's the typical experience of rehashing old dance moves and singing the same songs for the millionth time "because it'll make us better." An hour and a half into rehearsal, Chaeyoung's so fed up with Jennie’s orders that she screeches about how she needs practice to end so she can get ready for her date. Jennie scowls but the other girls look interested, asking who her date is with while Lisa stands there like a goldfish in a bowl, just floating there unable to say or do anything at all.

"It's a secret."

It's not that she's ashamed of the fact that she's going out with Lisa, but it would be too weird to admit that she's going on a date with another girl. She's not even sure if this makes her gay or not, and Chaeyoung really doesn't want to have to deal with the inevitable teasing from Jisoo. Instead she insists that it's a secret while feeling Lisa's brown orbs lock on her own and giving her an apologetic smile. When practice is dismissed, Chaeyoung chases after her in the parking lot.

"Please don't be mad!" She yells after her.

Lisa spins around. "I'm not mad." She laughs as if to make her point. "I didn't really want them to know, either. They'd ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter