17. Blind

Boy Next Door [ Hiatus ]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey Guys make sure to read ch. 14, 15 and 16 before this.

Ta-da!” Baekhyun bursts into the lobby with the flourish of a magician. He’s showing off for Anna as he always does.

It’s Thursday, and he isn’t scheduled to work, but of course he’s here anyway. Though tonight is different. He’s brought someone.

Here’s the thing about Park Chanyeol. You can’t NOT notice him when he walks into a room. The first thing that registers is his height, but it’s quickly followed by recognition of his energy. He moves gracefully like his sister, but with an enthusiasm he can’t quite seem to control—the constantly moving body, hands, feet. He’s been subdued the last few times I’ve seen him, but he’s fully revived now.

“Anna,” Baekhyun says. “This is Chanyeol.” Chanyeol dwarfs Baekhyu

n. They look like Rocky and Bullwinkle, and the comfortable manner between them makes it appear they’ve been friends just as long. I suppose when one overly kind person and one overly outgoing person become friends, it’s easy like that. Anna smiles.

“We keep missing each other in the dorm. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Likewise,” Chanyeol says. “I’ve heard nothing but good things. In fact, if I weren’t standing next to your boyfriend, I’d be tempted to ask you out myself.” She blushes, and Baekhyun bounds inside the box office and wrestles her into a hug.

“Miiiiiiiiine!” he says. The couple buying tickets from me eyes him warily.

“Cut it out .” Anna pushes him off, laughing. “You’ll get fired. And then I’ll have to support your sorry for the rest of our lives.” The rest of their lives.

Why does this always make me uneasy? I’m not bothered that they’re happy, am I? He hops into his usual sitting position on the counter, and they’re already laughing about something else. Chanyeol waits on the other side of the glass, looking amused. I hand the couple their change.

“So . . . what are you doing in the city on a weekday?” I ask him.

“I ran into Baekhyun an hour ago, and he talked me into coming along. He said we’d see a movie,” he adds loudly.

“RIGHT,” Baekhyun says. “That moving-pictures thing. Let’s do it.” But he returns to his conversation with Anna. Chanyeol and I exchange smiles.

“Come in.” I nod at the box-office door. A man in a fuzzy chartreuse sweater approaches my window, but even that’s not enough to distract me from watching Chanyeol as he moves toward the door. Those long, easy strides. My chest swells with both heartache and heartbreak. He enters, and I jerk away my gaze

. “Enjoy the show,” I tell the sweater man.

Chanyeol waits behind me while I print tickets for two more people. It’s impossible to concentrate with him standing there. The lobby empties again, and he takes the chair beside me. His hems rise and reveal his socks. Blue and purple stripes. On his left hand is a list: CH 12, SHAMPOO, BOX.

“How are you?” he asks. It’s not a casual question. I remove my glasses for a moment to rub my tired eyes.

“Surviving.”

“But she won’t be there for much longer.” He fidgets with his watch. “Will she?”

“Her credit is shot, and she’s failed the background check for every potential apartment.” He grimaces. “In other words, she’s not leaving tomorrow.”

“The break-in charges from when she tried to get back inside her apartment aren’t helping either.” I cross my arms.

“She wants Kris to sue to have the charges against her dropped, but he won’t. Not when she was in the wrong.” Chanyeol’s frown deepens, and I realize that he doesn’t know about Yoona’s recent arrest. I fill him in, because . . . he already knows everything else.

“I’m sorry.” His voice turns to anguish. “Is there anything I can do to help?” There’s a certain restraint in his muscles as he struggles to keep from reaching out to me.

“What’s box?” I blurt. He’s thrown.

“What?” I point at his hand.

“Read chapter twelve and buy shampoo, right? What’s box?” His right hand absentmindedly covers his left.

“Oh. Uh, I need to find one.” I wait for more. He looks away, and his body follows him.

“And I did. Find one. I’m moving some stuff back into my parents’ house. My room at school is crowded. And my other bedroom is empty. It has lots of space. For things.”

“You . . . you do spend a lot of weekends there.”

“Andschoolbreaks andsummers.” The words tumble out, and his face darkens as if shamed by his eagerness. No conversation is safe anymore.

“Hey, did you know that Park Chanyeol is related to the legendary inventor Parkl?” Baekhyun interrupts with timing so perfect that he must have been listening.

“Everyone who knows Chanyeol knows that,” I say.

“Really?” Anna looks genuinely interested. “That’s cool.” Chanyeol rubs his neck.

“No, it’s dumb trivia, that’s all.”

“Are you joking?” Baekhyun says. “He’s one of the most important inventors in the entire history of the world. Ever! And—”

“It’s nothing,” Chanyeol interrupts. I’m taken aback, but then I remember that first night he was home, when I mentioned his name and our conversation grew awkward. Something has changed. But what?

“Forgive his enthusiasm.” Anna grins at her boyfriend. “He’s a history nerd.” I can’t resist bragging.

“Chanyeol happens to be a brilliant inventor himself.”

“I’m not.” Chanyeol squirms. “I mess around. It’s not a big deal.” Baekhyun looks enraptured.

“Just think. You’re the direct descendant of the man who invented things”—he

“He didn’t invent that,” Chanyeol says drily.

“No?” This is the most frustrated I’ve ever seen Chanyeol.

“I mean he didn’t invent those.” The three of us blink at him.

“Anna confused,” Anna says.

“He didn’t invent them, a man named Song something did. My great-greatgreat- grandfather stole the idea from him. And Song wasn’t even the first. There were others, one before Park was even born. They just didn’t realize the full implications of what they’d created.” Baekhyun is fascinated.

“What do you mean, he stole the idea?”

“I mean, He stole the idea, took credit for it, and made an unbelievable sum of money that shouldn’t have been his.” Chanyeol is furious now.

“My family’s entire legacy is based on a lie.”

Well. That would explain the change. Baekhyun looks guilty for unintentionally goading Chanyeol into telling us. He opens his mouth to speak, but Chanyeol shakes his head.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t let it get to me.”

“When did you learn this?” I ask quietly.

“A couple of years ago. There was a book.” I don’t like the expression on his face. Further memories of his reluctance to talk about his inventions creep into my mind.

“Chanyeol . . . just because he stole the idea doesn’t mean what you do is —” But he launches toward Baekhyun.

“Movie?” Anna and I stare at him in concern, but Baekhyun easily takes over again.

“Yes, if you ladies no longer require our services, I believe we’re off.” Chanyeol is already halfway to the door. My heart screams in surprised agony. He halts. It’s as if he’s physically stopped by something we can’t see.

“Will you be here later?” he asks me. “When the movie gets out?” My throat dries.

“I should be here.” He bites his bottom lip. And then they’re gone.

“He’s so into you,” Anna says. I rearrang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter