I'll be there (Epilogue)

Aong!

*Nobody POV*

'Hyunjinnie!' 

Hyunjin turns away from Yerim and Yeojin to find a cute girl running at her, full speed. She opens her arms just in time to catch her and lift her into the air.

'I can't believe we graduated college!' Hyunjin smiles and nuzzles Heejin's neck, purring softly.

'Hey, girls. Yerim, have you showed Yeojin around yet? You guys are sharing a dorm next semester right?'

Yerim and Yeojin beam at their senior and nod excitedly. 'Yeh! I can't believe she somehow managed to graduate.' Yeojin smacks Yerim at this.

'Hey! I did well on my final exams! And I managed to get into the same university as all of you so I'm obviously smart enough or we're all equally stupid!' She huffs and crosses her arms to which Yerim squeals and squishes her cheeks. 'You're so cute!' Yerim seals her statement with a sweet kiss on Yeojin's lips. The younger girl blushes furiously and hides in her arms.

Hyunjin and Heejin smile at the pair sweetly. They're glad they finally stopped playing their weird cat and mouse game and admitted to their feelings for each other. They were a strange but cute pair.

'Yo, yall actually did it.' What can only be a very teasing Hyejoo with a cute Chaewon on her arm, walks up to their little group.

'Of course. You better catch up quick, Hye.' Heejin teasingly sticks out her tongue to the girl before hugging Chaewon tightly. 'We did it, we made it...'

Heejin was glad they were able to graduate. Hyunjin graduated as a PE teacher, while she will be teaching maths and Chaewon surprisingly managed to graduate to become a literature teacher.

The 3 of them also somehow managed to stay in good contact with their old high school and teachers, leading them to land a job as teaching assistants there. Heejin would help out Miss Jo Haseul with her classes and take some over as well so she can take her time off and spend more time with her wife and children. The same goes for Chaewon helping out Miss Ha Sooyoung with her classes.

Hyunjin would be taking over the PE classes entirely and helping out Miss Jung Jinsol with biology classes since she took an extra course on biology during her time at college. She has always been a very diligent student.

'Shouldn't you be headed home? You were organising a celebratory party with our friends, parents and old teachers, right? Well, I guess they're our colleagues now.' Chaewon's soft voice pulls Heejin out of her happy thoughts.

'Shoot! You're right! I'll see you guys in a bit!' Hyunjin chuckles and waves at their friends as Heejin drags her off to her car. She twirls the keys around her finger, not wanting to unlock it just yet.

'Congratulations on graduating, Heekki.' Heejin blushes and kisses Hyunjin sweetly, she pulls away to look her in the eye lovingly.

'The same to you, Aong.' 

The pair chuckles as they get into the car and drive home.

 

* * *

 

*Heejin POV*

I smile as Hyunjin picks up our cat, Caramel. We'd gotten her shortly after moving out. She wasn't allowed to take Choco with her so we adopted a soft brown kitten and called her Caramel.

A sense of pride fills me at our little home. Our parents gave us the present of our own home last year, saying that it was obvious from the day we met that we would spend the rest of our lives together. And with all the hardship Hyunjin had to go through to get her speech back little by little, they wanted us to be able to start our lives together a little easier.

At that point, we'd already been scouted by our old school as our old teachers gave an obvious preference towards us. They were happily waiting for us to graduate so we could write up the contracts. We already helped out at the school a bit part-time during breaks and our parents figured having our own place closer to the school would help us immensely. 

So we spent our breaks at home and Hyunjin and I got ourselves a car to travel between college, home and work. We made it work.

'You feed her while I start setting up for the party, babe?' Hyunjin nods at me, now hugging Caramel tightly as she carries her to the kitchen.

I start cleaning up and setting out drinks and food in the living room and dining room. Hyunjin soon starts helping me, after feeding what's essentially become our child.

 

Our parents are the first to arrive, greeting us enthusiastically and congratulating us once again, as if they hadn't been at our graduation ceremony just a few hours ago.

They settle to chat in the living room. The rest soon follows. Chaewon and Hyejoo arrived on Hyejoo's motorcycle bearing the gift of Chaewon's attempt at baking cookies. Hyejoo apologised and pulled out a box of cookies she made just in case. Chae is very sweet but she really can't cook. She's lucky Hyejoo likes cooking and knows how to operate a fire extinguisher in case Chaewon tries to cook anyway.

I'm a terrible cook as well, I somehow always mess up. But Hyunjin's cooking is amazing and she somehow finds ways for me to help without ruining the dish. Cooking with her is one of my favourite things to do.

Yerim and Yeojin arrived together of course, in Yerims car. Those 2 would definitely do well living together at the dorms next semester. Yeojin brought some dumplings her grandfather sent her for her high school graduation. I thanked her and let them go in to greet the rest.

All that was left now was our teachers/colleagues and their children arriving.

Hyunjin was happily sitting next to me on the couch, listening to Yeojin explain what she'll be studying at uni next semester with Yerim chatting to Chae next to her.

I smile, happy to be with this group. Hyunjin kisses my cheek and gets up to open the door. That must be Miss Jung.

Hyunjin had gotten really close to her during senior year and stayed in close contact with her after that. Maybe it's because Jung Jinsol has a very laid back personality like she does, or loves animals as much as she does. Either way, she had a positive impact on Hyunjin's recovery and life. Miss Jung must've texted her that they've arrived.

'Jinsol?' Hyunjin smiles at me as I follow her to the door and grab her hand to greet our guests together.

She opens the door and we're greeted by a big smile and soon Hyunjin is pulled into a tight hug by who is essentially like an older sister and mentor to her. As those two hug tightly, I see tears in Jinsol's eyes.

'I knew you could do it, kitty. I can't wait to be working with you!' Hyunjin laughs and pats her overly emotional colleague on the back. I chuckle and turn my attention to Jinsol's wife, who was also smiling at the hugging idiots.

'Good evening, Jungeun. Glad you could make it!' Jungeun smiles at her kindly and steps around her wife with their daughter in tow. I smile and hug her quickly before crouching down to face their daughter.

'Choerry, how are you?' She smiles up at me and hugs me tightly. I kiss her on the head and wink at her. 'Guess who's here?' Her face lights up at my words and she jumps up and down.

'Mom, can I go play?' Jungeun nods at her and I get up to guide her into the living room. The moment she sees Yerim, her face lights up and she runs into her arms. She quickly took a liking to her during one of our other meetings. Now that I think of it, Jinsol and her wife always had a soft spot for Yerim during high school as well so it's not strange that their daughter sees her as a big sister. They have quite similar personalities too.

'Well, I think you can sit back and enjoy your evening. I don't think little Choerry will leave Yerim and Yeojin alone anytime soon.' Jungeun chuckles and goes around to greet everyone after patting me on the shoulder.

I feel arms wrap around me from behind and lean back into Hyunjin's hold. She kisses my cheek sweetly.

'Enjoying yourself?' I nod and turn my head to kiss her cheek.

We all chat and recall memories for a while until our next guests arrive.

Haseul, her wife and kid and Sooyoung with her wife and 2 daughters all stand at the door, chatting happily. Hyunjin and I greet them with a big smile and hugs.

'Thanks so much for coming!' Haseul smiles at me and hugs me tightly. 'You know I wouldn't miss the graduation party for my favourite students.' I smile back at her and hug her wife, Vivi, too. She was always very sweet and would often send cookies to me through Haseul on the days she knew I'd be helping out.

'And how is our favourite trouble maker doing?' I ruffle Jin's head as he smiles up at me. 'I'll be good, I promise!' I nod and let him run off to greet the rest. 

Sooyoung shoots me a wink and ruffles my hair. 'Well, you guys did it. I'm looking forward to seeing you more at work. Where's that airhead I call my mentee?' Hyunjin laughs and points at the living room.

'The Princess and her gang member looking prince are in the living room.' Sooyoung high-fives Hyunjin for her retort and sets off to find Chaewon.

Her wife, Jiwoo smiles at us brightly and pulls us both into a tight group hug. 'I'm so glad you all made it! I'm so proud of you kids!'

Jiwoo was literally a ball of sunshine, the sweetest soul you'd ever meet. She was a very good fit for Sooyoung's classy and chic aura. Opposites attract? Though in reality, we all knew Sooyoung is a big soft dork.

'I hope you don't mind I brought the little devils?' I shake my head and smile at their baby girls. I take one of the baby carriers off of her and guide her to the dining room, setting it on the table.

'Of course, I don't mind. They're honestly not as loud as I'd expect babies to be.' They had 2 beautiful baby girls, Olivia and Gowon. Gowon was a year and a half now and Olivia was their latest source of happiness. The 4-month-old was precious and very attached to Sooyoung. I pick Gowon up and play around with her as Jiwoo gently cradles Olivia in her arms. She coos at her sweetly and we walk into the living room. They quieted down. Sooyoung must've warned them that they brought the kids.

'Gowon, look it's your friend!' Chaewon jumps up happily and takes her from me, playing with her happily. 

Gowon had taken a liking to her when Chaewon started visiting their home to help Sooyoung prepare for classes. Jiwoo was glad to have her around. Chae is good with kids and even though she likes to pretend she's too cool for it, Hyejoo is very sweet with kids and I'm sure they'll be amazing mothers one day.

I smile as everyone sits around and chats together. It's so good to have everyone we love in the same room.

'So how are things back at the studio, Jungeun?' Sooyoung smiles in her direction as I tune into the conversation. Jungeun runs a dance studio in the city and Sooyoung would often join her for classes but hasn't been able to since the latest addition to their little family.

'It's been good! The kids miss you though. They want their hip-hop master to teach them again someday.' We all laugh as Sooyoung blushes at the nickname the kids gave her. Jiwoo kisses her wife on the cheek and turns to me.

'I need to feed little Olivia.' I nod but before I can get up, Hyunjin kisses my cheek and guides Jiwoo to our bedroom where she can feed her daughter in peace. I smile at their retreating figures and when I turn back, I notice everyone is quiet and staring at me.

'What?' I look at them in confusion. Jinsol reaches out to me and grabs my hand. 'So you guys live together, were basically glued together since the moment you met and are the definition of soulmates. Now you're graduating and working together too.' I nod, looking around at everyone still staring at me intently.

'Yes? What is going on with you guys?'

They all smile widely and Jinsol, who's sitting at my left, suddenly holds up a piece of paper. She turns it over. A blue 'W' is written on it neatly.

'When I first heard Hyunjin properly talk one day after class, she was mumbling to herself. This was during the first week of the new semester. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she liked you. And wanted to ask you to be her girlfriend, but didn't know how. I had to puzzle that together a bit because her speech was still very broken back then of course, but that was essentially the case.'

I frown and want to ask why she's telling me this but she holds up a hand to shush me. I simply look at her and continue listening to her intently.

'A few weeks later, word got out that the amazing and popular Heejin actually asked Hyunjin to be her girlfriend. I was happy for you kids. I saw Hyunjin that same day, hanging around the cafeteria, holding this box.'

She pulls a small yellow box out of her bag and hands it to me. I take it from her hesitantly and start opening it. Inside is a bracelet with a cat and rabbit charm. There's a little note attached to it.

'Heejin, will you be my girlfriend?' As I read the note out loud, I gasp and put a hand up to my face. She was going to ask me? 'I ruined it back then, didn't I?'

Jinsol smiles at me sweetly and shakes her head. She places the paper with the 'W' on the table in front of me. Jungeun sits up and shows me a paper with a red 'I' written on it. She smiles at me gently and sighs.

'I remember when you first walked into my dance studio, wanting to take on a sport and prove that you were more than just a pretty face. You wanted to make your senior year a good one. And let's be honest, you wanted to impress the star-athlete that you got to call your girlfriend.' I nod fondly at the memory as we all laugh together.

'Remember when you were preparing for the school's talent show? You went up to the stage and before your performance, you proudly exclaimed that you dedicate the dance to Hyunjin.' I smile and blush at the memory.

Jungeun sighs and puts down the paper next to the other on the table.

'Hyunjin had also been preparing a performance which she was going to dedicate to you. You beat her to it and she didn't want to steal the spotlight after that. She simply stood back, smiled and told me to get her off the list.'

My eyes widen and I can't help but let a silent tear fall. 'That was the change in order that was announced after my performance?' 

They all nod and Choerry walks up to me with a paper. a cute 'L' written on it in purple crayon. She places it on the table and reaches up to me. I pull her onto my lap and she wipes my tear away, smiling at me brightly.

I smile back at her. 'Don't cry, Heejin! Hyunjin says you're prettiest when you smile!' I blush and choke up slightly. Choerry scrambles off of me and runs into her mothers' arms. Jinsol perches her on her lap, one arm holding her and the other wrapped around her wife's shoulders.

'You guys always silently supported Yeojinnie and me. Even before we realised we liked each other like that, you guys knew but never pushed us.' Yerim smiles at me sweetly, holding out a piece of paper with an 'L' written on it again. I take it from her, placing it beside the others. 

'Thank you for being great friends.' I smile at her and mouth a thank you as Yeojin jumps up next to her to hand me her paper, a 'Y' written on it in.

'Hyunjin once told me that life is too short to spend thinking of what if's. She told me to find what makes me happy and never let go. When I asked her if she'd found that, she smiled at me and turned towards you. You were chatting with Yerim on the other side of the playground. She said yes, I have. And when I followed her gaze...' She smiles at me and turns to Yerim sweetly. 'I told her, I think I have too.'

I smile at the couple and place the paper on the table again. My parents smile at me and hand me a paper with an 'O' on it.

'Sweetie, you have always been an exceptionally kind child. But when you met Hyunjin you somehow became even more helpful and thoughtful and driven. I knew when you brought her home that first time, there was something special going on.' My mother tears up and my father grins at me, holding her hand tightly.

'She would always message me before asking you on a date. She wanted to make sure you'd be allowed to go, not wanting to have you be disappointed if we for some reason decided you couldn't go.'

I tear up again, not being able to control it. She did that for me? How did I never notice all these things?

Chaewon hands me a paper with a soft smile. A 'U' is written on it beautifully. 'When Hyejoo and I were going through a rough patch, it was you and Hyunjin who talked to us and made us see how childish we were being. When Hyejoo crashed her bike and I thought I'd nearly lost her, Hyunjin did all she could to comfort me. While you were chatting to Hyejoo as she recovered, Hyunjin pulled me to the side and told me to stop crying and not see this as a bad thing. She told me that everything, even something horrible like that accident, happens for a reason. I asked her what she meant and she said that the accident she had caused her to become so close to you. Without it, who knows if she'd been able to befriend you.' She smiles at me and holds Hyejoo's hand tightly. 'It wasn't until much later that I realised that accident brought me and Hye so much closer...'

'I would've definitely tried to at least befriend her... I don't think there's a universe out there in which we wouldn't end up together...' I sniffle and smile at Chae. 

Haseul hands me a tissue, which I take gladly.

'You guys are sickeningly sweet but I couldn't wish for better friends. And in your own way I think you're both kind of cool, I guess.' Hyejoo's whiny voice makes us all smile and chuckle.

She hands me a paper with an 'M' written on it.

Hyunjin's parents smile at me sweetly. 'You're basically like a daughter to us. We can't thank you enough for being with Hyunjin and helping her recover. You really brought back our precious daughter.' They're teary-eyed and her mother hands me a paper and pats my hand softly.

An 'A' is written on it.

'You were my favourite student until Hyunjin came by. Then suddenly I had 2! I think I can safely say I was there when you 2 made that special connection you have. I was there for your first meeting and honestly, nothing has changed. You still have the same sweet dynamic and I can't wait to have you two as colleagues. You guys were meant to be and I'm glad I was somewhat a helping factor in that. I saw Hyunjin's case and knew you would be able to help her best.' She smiles at me and hands me a paper.

The letter 'R' printed on it neatly. 

Vivi slips me a paper with another 'R' on it. A sweet smile graces her gentle features.

'You both make my Haseul happy and are so sweet to our dear Jin. I really wish you all the best in life. You deserve to be happy.' 

I blow my nose into the tissue Haseul gave me earlier and smile at everyone through my tears.

'Of all the love stories I've read in my career, I think yours is my favourite.' Sooyoung hands me a paper, smiling softly.

The letter 'Y' in a beautiful burgundy.

'Jin, give her your paper.' Haseul nudges her son towards me. He smiles at me shyly and hands me a paper with the letter 'M' on it. 'I like you two a lot.' I ruffle his hair. 'I like you too, buddy.'

Jiwoo suddenly appears next to me and hands baby Olivia to her wife. Olivia garbles cutely at her mother as she's safely tucked in her arms.

Jiwoo hugs me tightly, shoving a paper in my hands. 'Do you remember when you came to my cafe and asked how you should go about adopting a kitten for the two of you because Hyunjin missed Choco?'

I nod at her. I remember clearly. I wanted to bring up the topic but didn't know how. I didn't want to offend her by replacing Choco.

Jiwoo pats my head as she pulls back from the hug. 

'Hyunjin had passed by earlier that week, asking me if she should get you a rabbit or not. She remembered you said you'd get a rabbit if you ever lived on your own since your parents didn't want animals in the house but you absolutely adored rabbits. I told her to just go for it, the same advice I gave you. She had arranged to take you to an adoption centre the next week so you could pick your little friend.'

I gasp and look down at the paper in my hands. An 'E'.

'I took her to the shelter to get Caramel the very next day... She never told me!' Everyone sighs and shakes their head. Jiwoo smiles at me before sitting down.

'She saw how happy you were and didn't want to make you feel bad. After all, it would be too difficult to take care of both animals at the same time so soon into living together.'

I shake slightly, tears running down my cheeks.

Caramel runs past me and jumps on the table, sitting next to the papers. There's a paper sticking out of her collar. I grab it and pet her. A question mark...

'Oh my god...' 

It took me so long but I can see it now. Laid out in front of me on the table, now completed, the papers read, 'Will you marry me?'. 

'You somehow almost beat me to everything. I didn't mind because I love you. As long as you are happy, so am I. But for just this once, Heekki... Let me be first in asking just this one question?'

Everyone is smiling at me brightly, tears forming in their eyes as I continue to bawl quietly. I turn towards her voice to find her kneeling beside my chair, holding a small box.

'My dear girlfriend, love of my life, you were the one to give me back my speech. It's thanks to you that I was able to reach this point in life, surrounded by these amazing people in our own home. You are the one that gave me the ability to say all these words. So let me ask you a question and out of all the words you taught me again, all I require is one in return.'

She smiles, tears in her eyes, and opens the box. A small cute ring shines beautifully in the box. A small pink jewel sits snuggly in the middle of the band. It's gorgeous.

'Jeon Heejin, will you do me the greatest honour one could ever bestow upon me. The reason for my happiness, will you marry me?'

I fall from the chair to kneel in front of her, reaching up to caress her cheeks. 

I lean in closely, our eyes boring into each other. I chuckle, parting my lips to answer her.

'Aong.'

I close the gap between us, kissing her passionately as the room around us erupts in cheers, laughs and whistles.

 

Wherever you go, every day from now on, 

I'll be there.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

Author's note:

Finally finished it. My first ever completed story!

Might occasionally write a little one-shot taking place in this au in the future (if enough of you ask for it) but the main story is completed!

hope you enjoyed this ride with me :)

Have a good day/night! :3