The Place He Belongs

A Red String of Fate

The Lilly Flowers head to the backstage, as the applause continued, louder and louder.

“Another fantastic performance,” says Madam, glancing at Jimin.

“Madam?”

“Yes.”

“Can my siblings stay overnight at the Royal Entertainment House, I would like to speak with them tomorrow.”

“Alright,” she says, “They can join us for drinks.”

“Thank you, Madam.”

“You said you were going to tell us what is going on,” says Dahyun, glaring at him.

“I am needed somewhere,” he replies, “Go with Madam, rests at the Entertainment House, enjoys the food and drinks, you all did well.” 

Suzy grabs his hand, “Are you not joining us?”

“I cannot,” he replies, “I will see you tomorrow earliest.”

“What’s with all this mysteriousness?” asks Taemin.

“Please listen to me,” he pleads, “I do not have time now, I will explain everything tomorrow.”

They sigh, frustrated.

“Alright,” says Dahyun, “Tomorrow at the earliest.”

“Tomorrow at the earliest,” says Jimin.

“Those who are done with their performance can head back to the house,” says Madam, “Wash up and rest, we will join you with a feast after we finish.”

***

Jimin sighs, sitting with Lady Nyang dressed in the coat the King asked him to wear to the banquet. He takes a deep breath, as the stage was overtaken by the knights and noble ladies, dancing with each other. His eyes glance over at the two male Royal concubines sitting across them, it was the first time seeing them as they had their own mansions. The two whispered among each other, looking at him and scoffing, he sighs, he knew they were talking about him. Ignoring them, his attention turns back to the royal family and surprisingly catches Jungkook looking at him. He quickly averts his gaze, wondering what Jungkook was thinking? There is no doubt he is aware of his identity as a concubine.

“Shall we dance?” asks Lady Nyang.

“Are we allowed?”

“Yes, of course,” she says, “It’s a banquet, social status is overlooked, let’s go dance.”

Nyang stands up, taking his hand before he could utter a word, and drags him to the stage, where everyone was lining up opposite sides, girls on one side and man on the other side. They each bow to each other, but everything goes silent, as chatters and whoops fill the Great Hall. Jimin and Nyang exchange glances as everyone on the dance floor turn to see what is causing the chatters. Princess Ji Eun of Isla had gotten up and asked the Third Prince Jungkook, her fiancée to dance. All eyes were on them, as Prince Jungkook nods his head and gets up, taking her hand.

“Wow, I heard she often speaks her mind, but she is brave as well,” whispers the woman standing next to them.

Everyone on the dance floor bow as the Prince and Princess join them. Jimin glances over at Jungkook who was standing next to him and then to the Princess. She was beautiful, tall and slender, with an oval-shaped face, black hair that was in a bun, brown eyes, and a creamy fair complexion. Her eyes left Jungkook, Jimin averts his gaze back to Lady Nyang, clenching his hand. He was nervous, mainly because he was not used to these partner dances even though he used to dance them with his siblings whenever they had a birthday or a celebration. But he also positive his nervousness partly has to do with Jungkook standing next to him.

His heart starting to beat fast. His mind going numb, able to smell the sweet scent of flowers, a scent that made him dizzy, as if he drank wine, intoxicated, a small voice at the back of his head, urged him to run. But puzzled and overtaken by an unknown feeling, his feet remained grounded, as the music of the flute came, soothing and commending.

 

As they continued to dance, Jimin could not help but glance at Jungkook, surprised each time he looked at Jungkook, he caught his gaze on him, causing him to quickly lower his eyes, afraid of what his eyes might reveal. Still, he smiled to himself, wondering why on earth he was feeling so shy? Even though he has not known the Prince for long, deep inside he wishes the Prince does not look at him differently now that he has learned that Jimin is not a palace servant but a concubine. The thought somehow made his stomach tighten and almost trip on his feet but quickly caught himself as to not make a fool of himself.

The music came to an end and they each bowed, as loud cheering and claps fill the room.

***

The Royal Concubine Mansion was still celebrating, as they all sat in the sitting room, drinking fine wine and eating. Lady Tzuyu was called to the King’s bedroom so the other concubine felt comfortable to sit and relax.

Jimin sat on the cushion near the wall, watching the girls as they laugh and gossip, not paying attention. His mind was filled with thoughts of Jungkook, their first meeting at the Market. An image of him putting the coral jade on him, understanding now why he had something that expensive and unique. He smiles to himself as he Jungkook’s foreign words of poetry flashes back in his mind. 

“Are you not drinking?” asks Nyang. Jimin glances at her and shakes his head no.

“Have you ever had dreams of fairytales?” asks one Concubine.

“Dreams of fairytales?” he asks, not sure what was referring to.

“Dreams of eternal love and devotion, you are so good looking, surely you had suitors after you.”

Jimin chuckles, she was right he did have many suitors, male and female pursuing him, but he never returned their feelings. His focus was on his family so he never thought about love and all other stuff, but now he could not help but regret it, wishing that he could have the chance to at least dream about finding true love.

“So?” asks Nyang, staring at him,” Tell us.”

“There is nothing to tell,” he says, “I’m glad because those dreams would have been shattered just as my dreams of dancing were the minute the King ordered me to become his Concubine.”

“Oh, do not let anyone else hear you speak like that,” warns Nyang, “The King is our hopes and dreams, that is the life of a concubine- “

“Then why to speak of dreams and love?” interrupts Jimin, annoyed, “We are forever to live in the King’s shadows.”

“You are drunk, he is not in his right mind,” says Nyang, chuckling nervously, “Do not listen to his words.”

Jimin gets up from the cushion, “I will head to my bed, it seems I had too much wine.”

***

With Maha’s permission, Jimin made his way to the Royal Entertainment Mansion to see his siblings as he promised. He was anxious, not sure how to tell his siblings about his situation but more nervous about how they were going to react. He did not want to say anything that would make them react poorly and cause them trouble, especially in the palace. One wrong word and it could be life and death, and he knew it.

He sighs as the door opens, and the house servant greets him. He greets her back and asks where his siblings were, and the house servant says she does not know.

“Is Madam in?”

“Yes, she is eating,” says the house servant, “But I do not think she wants to see anyone.”

“Well make an exception,” says Jimin, walking past her and into the house against the house servants words.

 

Jimin walks in the sitting room, where Madam was eating.

“Pardon my interruption,” he says, “The house servant said my siblings are not here.”

“Yes, they are not here anymore.”

“Where are my siblings?” he says, his voice breaking, clammy and there was the glisten of a cold sweat. His eyes wide as horrible thoughts rush in his mind, if something happened to his siblings, he would not know what to do. He clenches his hands as he glares at Madam, who turns back to a girl sitting across from with long brown hair.

“She is Moon Chae, the Queen’s errand maid,” she says, “The Queen demands to see you.”. Jimin stares her, confused.

“What for?” he asks staring at the girl, who stared back at him, silent.

 “The Queen is waiting,” she says.

Jimin glances back at Madam who sips her tea, “What is going on?”

“I warn you do not keep her highness waiting,” says Madam. 

Jimin sighs, and turns to the girl, “Does this have to do with my siblings, what did she do?”

“Watch your tongue boy!” roars Madam, “I am fond of you, but I will not tolerate insolent in this house, is that clear?”

Without uttering another word, Jimin glares at Moon Chae who lowers her gaze, “Fine, let’s go.”

As they made their way to the Queen’s Mansion, he could not fight back the feeling that something happened to his siblings. He grips his cross tightly, his stomach dropping to his knee, he felt dizzy, wanting to vomit. He had no clue as to what was going on, and it upset him.

 

They reach the Mansion and the gate opens, Moon Chae lead him to the sitting room where the Queen was. She turns to Jimin, and gestures for him to go in. Jimin sighs and walks in. He bows down to the Queen who was sitting on a cushion with a table in front of her.

“Greetings Your Highness.”

“At ease,” she says. Jimin lifts up his head, staring at her. This was the first time he has been this close to the Queen and he could not help but be terrified. She gazed at him with such coldness, and the demand and power from her words, made him shiver.

“That was fantastic,” says the Queen. Jimin glances at her, and lowers his gaze, what is she talking about?

“I have never seen a dancer who can move so seductively,” she says, “With such loveliness, it is no wonder the King was completely enticed by you.”

Jimin clenches his jaw, as the Queen got up from where she was sitting and walks towards him, and without warning, he felt immense pain as the Queen’s stepped on his hand. He heard the loud crackle of his fingers, as his hand shook.

“You might entice the King with your beauty and your disgusting dance. You can share his food, his drink, and bed but you will always be a lowly commoner and nothing else. Beware, you are insignificant,” she says, her foot still pressed hard on his hand, Jimin bit his lip to keep himself from crying out, a sharp pain lanced through his hand to his body as watery spots flashed in front of his eyes, lingering tears.

“You will do as I command from now on or grave consequences will fall on your family, your brothers and sisters, speak a word of this and I will make sure you witness them headless, is that understood.”

“Ye-yes-yes, Your Highness,” he replies, voice shaky, unable to fight back the tears.

“It seems we have come to an understanding,” she says, lifting her foot of his hand, and Jimin quickly curled his hand against his chest, his hand throbbing from the pain.

“Your siblings are home and alive as I wish,” she says, “Get out of my sight.”

Without uttering a word, Jimin backed away slowly, before getting up and walking out of the door. Moon Chae stood at the door, and without uttering a word to her, he made his way towards the gate. He held his hand tightly against his chest, keeping a stoic face, he did not want anyone to see him cry.  He could help but wonder what he has done, to catch the Queen’s attention?

 

Cuddly his throbbing hand, he walked lost in thoughts, oblivious and without a moment’s warning, he bumped into someone. He glances up and it was Jungkook, Jimin gazes at him for a few seconds, and lowers his gaze. He steps back, realizing that he was not alone, he was with his brother, the second Prince Taehyung.

“Apologizes, Your Highness,” he says, dimly.

“Jimin?” says Jungkook, “It’s alright- “

“You again?” retorts Prince Taehyung, “What are you doing here?”

“The Queen called for me,” he replies, avoiding their eyes, head lowered. He knew his place now. He is nothing but a commoner as the Queen said, no matter how many elevations and ranks are placed on him, or even if the King favored him, he will not have a place in the palace. One wrong move and his family could face deadly consequences.

Prince Taehyung scoffs.

“What for?” asks Prince Jungkook.

“She-She wanted to congratulate me on the performance,” he lies, “She was pleased.”

“Hmm?” says Taehyung, “The Queen congratulating a - “ 

“Second Prince, you should watch your tongue,” says Prince Jungkook, “The King will not be pleased.”

Prince Taehyung burst out laughing, “The King is amazing,” he says, “Putting such importance on trash. But then again he did marry said trash and made her Queen.”

“That’s enough, elder brother!” exclaims Jungkook, glaring at him. Anger flaring in his eyes, with a flicker of fire. Jimin knew this was no longer about him, he saw it in Jungkook’s eyes and the tension in muscles. Who was Prince Taehyung referring to? And what relationship does Jungkook have with that person?  He wondered.

“Apologizes,” says Prince Taehyung, clearing his throat, realizing his words did more damage than he meant, “I mean no offense against your mother. I will see you at the stables, little brother.” He moves to place his hand on Jungkook’s shoulder but Jungkook shrugged it off, avoiding his gaze, as he bites his lip. Jimin watches as Prince Taehyung walks away, leaving them. He turns back to Jungkook, who stood still angry, fist tighten. 

“Um…” says Jimin, “I will take my leave now.”

“Wait,” calls Jungkook, as Jimin stops and turns to face him, “Come with me, I have something for you.”

“Do you not have to meet the second Prince?”

Jungkook scowls at him, “He can go horse riding by himself,” he replies. It was obvious whoever Taehyung called trash was someone he loved, could it be-

“Follow me,” demands Jungkook, interrupting his thoughts, and walking away before Jimin could utter a word.

 

Jimin followed him silently, not wanting to say something that would upset him, despite the curiosity that filled his mind as to why he was so upset at the second Prince’s remark?

 

They arrive at another mansion, it was a lot smaller, Jimin figured it was his house. His eyes wandered as they walk in silence, it was pretty organic, nothing stood out, no decoration, just plan gold walls and doors. He opens a door, and it was his bedroom.

“Your Highness?” says Jimin, glancing at the guards that stood against the wall, “I-I”

“It’s alright,” says Jungkook, with a soft smile, “No one will speak of you being here, I am aware of your status.”

Jimin bites his lip, his hand was still hurting, he did not want any trouble or rumors of him being alone with the Prince. He has not been in the palace for too long but even he knows the dangers of gossips and rumors. He wanted to believe Jungkook’s words, but the pain in his hand reminded him that he could not afford such confidence or faith.

“It is inappropriate,” he says, quickly, “I apologize.” Jungkook exhales, staring at him in silence for a few seconds before a soft chuckle escape his mouth,

“I-I somehow wish I never met you in the library,” he says, quietly.

“How do you mean?”

“I-never mind, come in first,” he says, reaching for his hand. Jimin winces at the pain.

“Are you okay?”

“Um…yes, I-I am alright Your Highness,” he replies, glancing at the guard again, and pulls his hand back.

“I just want to gift you a book,” says Jungkook, “Come on in, please.” Jimin’s mouth opens to protest but staring at Jungkook’s pleading eyes, he felt awkward and somehow happy. Jungkook was not treating him like a commoner or any differently from when they met in the market. He wonders why? He smiles and nods his head. He follows him to his room, anxious.

“Have a seat?”

“Thank you, I- “

Jungkook chuckles, walking away. Jimin looks around the bedroom, it was very different from anything he has ever seen, no one will ever think it was a Prince’s room. He walks over to the window and looking outside, everything was green among different colors of flowers. He smiles,

“So beautiful.”

“Isn’t it,” says Jungkook, walking and standing beside him, “The air is so nice and sweet in the garden.”

“That’s the royal garden?”

“No, it’s my personal garden, it leads to the royal garden though,” replies Jungkook, “Let me see your hand?”

Jimin turns to face him, holding out his hand, unable to straighten out his fingers, still in pain. Jungkook gently takes his hand, as Jimin winces at the pain,

“Sorry,” 

“It’s alright, I am alright.”

I know if I ask you will not tell me who did this,” says Jungkook, pouring ointment cream on his hand, it was cold but as he started to rub it gently all over his hand, it felt warm. Jimin gazes at him, his eyes following his movements, scanning his face, he had beautiful starry large eyes and his skin was golden instead of egg-like color like his siblings. He looked nothing like his siblings, they were all handsome, but innocence radiated from him. With each rub came pain and Jimin’s soft cry but his eyes never left Jungkook. He stares at the mole under his lip, the one on his nose and he had two between his eyes. He notices a scar on his cheek, it was small and unnoticeable unless you are looking closely.

“What are you looking at?” asks Jungkook, his voice soft, as he catches Jimin’s gaze. Jimin’s face immediately flashed brighter than the color of his color.

“You have a scare,” answers Jimin.

“Oh, when we were young the second Prince pushed me of a swing.”

“Why?”

Jungkook shrugs his shoulders, “He has a bit of a temper, despite all the things that come out of his mouth, he is not a bad person.”

Jimin sighs, “Of course.”

“How does your hand feel?”

“The pain is lessened, thank you,” says Jimin, holding his hand. Jungkook smiles, lowering his gaze. He walks over to a table and picks up something and walks back to where Jimin was standing.

“This is for you,” he says, holding out a book, Jimin stares at it, it was Romeo and Juliet but the Korean version, not in English.

“Your Highn- “

“Please do not refuse,” interrupts Jungkook, pouting, “I understand why you are putting a line between us, but I would for us to be friends.”

“Friends?”

“Yes, I have not met anyone who looks at me like you do.”

“How is that?”

“You look at me as an equal.”

“Equal?”

“I am not constricted by my lineage when I am with you, I can be myself and it sounds selfish but, I do not want that to change because of who we are.”

Jimin stares at him in silence, “you are strange, Your high- “

“Jungkook.”

“Pardon?”

“When we together alone, you have permission to call me  Jungkook.”

“I- don’t think- “

“Please.”

Jimin sighs, not sure why Jungkook was insisting on forming a relationship with him when he knows it was impossible for them to be anything more than a lord and a servant. But upon hearing his words, Jimin found a weight lifted off his chest, it would not be a bad idea to have someone, a royal as a friend. He could use the privileges that came with such friendship to his advantage. But what if he could get something more, instead of friendship, what if it was love? Wouldn’t having the Prince’s love put him in a place far better than he is now. Especially a Prince-like Jungkook who seems to want to have a normal life and such freedom. 

If Jungkook was to fall in love with him, would he not help him escape from this torturous doll-like life. Jimin stares at him, as each thought came rushing in, seducing Jungkook was not something he wanted to plan out as his heart seemed to already beat for him, but time was not on his side. He would die before sleeping with the King but not before he knew his family was safe. But how does one win a Prince's, undying love? especially since he seems to be promised to another?

“What are you looking at?”

“You must know a lot of places beyond Kingdoms?”

“I do.”

“What kinds of places?”

“Such different countries with different cultures and riches but my favorites are the Islands where they were ruled by love and not power.”

“An island?”

“Yes, far away, land surrounded by water.  I have to meet mountain people,” says Jungkook, his voice trailing off. His eyes fall on Jimin’s chest, staring at his necklace. He reaches for it and touches it,

“You are of Christian faith?”

Jimin stares at the necklace, puzzled at the change of topic. He has always worn the necklace with no regards to religion. It was the only thing that was left with him at the orphanage aside from his baby blanket.

“I do not know, it has been with me since I was left at the orphanage. My mother says it might have been from my parents.”

“Hmm?” says Jungkook, “The mountain people often wear such items to display their faith.”

“Mountain people?” mutters Jimin, confused as he tries to make sense of what Jungkook was saying. ​​​​​​​