Moonlit Ceiling

A Red String of Fate

“Pardon the interruption, Your Highness,” says Nyang, glancing at Jimin, who stood still speechless upon learning Jungkook’s status, clenching the book against his chest. His mind filled with so many questions.

“Be at ease Lady Nyang,” says Jungkook, “You two know each other?”

“Yes, Your Highness, Jimin is new to the Palace and- “

“Yes, that’s right,” says Jimin, interrupting her, “If Your Highness will permit, we must leave now.”

“Do you not wan- “

“Not anymore,” he says, bowing his head, “Apologizes.” Before Jungkook could utter a word, Jimin backs away, apologizing again as he glares at Nyang. She chuckles, bowing and apologizing,

“Excuse me, Your Highness,” she says.

“It is alright,” says Jungkook, dumbfounded as he stares at Jimin, who avoided his eye contact.

 

Jimin places the book on the shelves and without uttering a word, they walked away, leaving Jungkook, puzzled.

 

Finally, in his room, Jimin closes the door, pacing back and forth, not sure of what to think about Jungkook being a Prince, or about anything anymore. He had so many questions, like why was he performing a show in the market? Why did he behave like a commoner? Why was Jungkook adamant in approaching him? But most importantly, why was he so upset about Jungkook being a Prince?

Ruffling his hair, he sits on the bed, frustrated, “Why? Of all the people did he have to be a royal?” he mutters to himself, laying back down.

His door opens, and he sits up to see Nyang.

He sighs, “What is it?”

“What was that about in the library?”

“Its bad manners to walk in someone’s room without knocking,” he retorts, avoiding the question. She scoffs, staring at him with curious filled eyes,

“So?”

“Nothing, I bumped into him, we started speaking,” he says, clearing his throat, “I had no clue he was the third Prince.”

“Hmm?”

“It is the truth.”

“Alright,” she says, “Oh, you have a guest.”

“Who is it?”

“The Head of the Royal Entertainment is here asking for you.”

Jimin stares at her, confused, “Why does she want?”

“I am not a messenger,” she says, “She is waiting in the sitting room.”

Jimin sighs, “Alright.”

 

Jimin takes a deep breath before entering the sitting room. Maha and Madam were sipping tea, chatting.

Jimin clears his throat, “Madam?”

They both turn to look at him, Jimin glances at them for a second before turning his gaze to everything but them.

“It is it true,” says Madam, putting the cup down, she glances at Maha, “May we speak in private?”

Maha glances at Jimin, and then back at Madam, “Yes. It is a pleasure seeing you again, Madam,” says Maha, getting up.

“Likewise,” she says.

“Have a seat.”

Jimin sighs, and walks over to a cushion and sits down, wondering what she wanted? It was silence for a few minutes, as eyes wandered around.

“I sent a letter invited Lily Flowers to come to perform at the banquet tonight,” she says. Jimin bites his cheek, his fingers curling into a tight fist, swallowing his anger, “They decline the invitation but then the Queen made it an order, and she told me to come to the Royal Concubine Mansion and ask the King’s new concubine to join his siblings, at the banquet.”

“The Queen wants me to dance?”

“Yes. When I learned the King had ordered you become his concubine, my heart was stifled.”

“Why? You do not know me?”

She glances up, locking eyes with him, as he glares at her. She chuckles, “I do not have to know you to know your talent as a dancer is wasted as a concubine.”

Jimin sighs, “As if I had a choice.”

“You are right,” she says clearing , “It is disappointing.”

“You will hang if someone hears you speaking like that.”

“Anyway,” she says, “Your siblings are at the entertainment house, they decided to do the butterfly dance since they did not have the time to prepare anything else, come at the house at noon.”

“Do I have too?”

“Yes, you do not want to cross the Queen,” she says, standing up, “You take care of yourself, child.”

Jimin sighs, “They do not know I am here.”

“Then it is time you tell them,” she says, “They were full of smiles when I first saw you all, and now it is as if they are robots. Your departure has really broken them. I’m positive they will understand.”

Jimin squeezed his fist tight, pressing his lips tightly, fighting back the urge to cry, as his heart sank down to his stomach. He sniffles as small beads of tears fall on his pants, no matter how hard he pressed his lips.

Bits by bits, they continued to fall, his heart ached, he wanted to see his siblings more than anything, but he did not want them to know anything about his new life. He wondered what reason their mother gave them or if she broke her promise and told them the truth. It has only been a week since he has been staying at the palace, and he was not ready to face his sibling for choosing to leave without saying goodbye. Will they understand that he did it to protect them?

 

Not sure when he fell asleep, Jimin woke up by the knock at his door. He sits up, his brain was pounding against his skull and his eyes were red, swollen from crying. The knock comes again.

He sighs, walking to the door. He opens it, to see a house servant, “What is it?”

“Minho, the King’s errand boy is asking for you,” says the manservant. Jimin exhales, displeased. He knows the only reason Minho is here is that the King sent him.

“Alright, tell him to wait as I wash up.”

“Yes,” says the manservant, walking away.

Jimin sighs, taking of the coral jade, not wanting trouble. He walks over to his bed and places it underneath his pillow.

***

Jimin bows, forehead on the floor, “Greeting Your Majesty.” He glances up and the King gestures for him to move closer. Jimin moves slightly closer as the King points for him to sit on the cushion across from him. He avoided looking at him, as he was taught by Maha.

Jimin sits on the cushion staring at the kettle and cups on the table.

“I heard the Queen requested for you to dance at the banquet tonight.”

“Yes.”

“Hmm,” says the King picking up the kettle.

“Let me, Your Majesty,” says Jimin, reaching for the kettle, as he was also taught to always pour for the King. But then hesitate, pulling his hand back, and apologizing for reaching over.

“Here you go,” says the King, handing him the kettle. Jimin pours tea for him, remembering how much honey and lemon he put in last time, he had tea with the King.

“You are very observant,” says the King, picking up the cup and taking a sip of it, “Exactly as I like.”

“By Your Majesty grace,” he replies.

The King laughs, Jimin glances up, it is the first time he heard him laugh.

“I apologize if I offended the King.”

“None sense,” says the King, “Maha taught you well, last time you were here, the way you spoke was strange, if it was anyone else, I would have been offended.”

“I am but a commoner, Your Majesty, Master Maha is teaching me the way of a concubine, So I can be worthy of his Majesty.

“I have had many male concubines,” says the King, “But none like you.”

“By Your Majesty grace, I’m honored.”

“Your siblings will be performing with you,” says the King, “You have my permission to have to stay awhile after the banquet, I’m sure you miss them.”

Jimin glances up, stunned, loss at words.

The King chuckles, “Do you not believe my words.”

“N-no, that is not…I am just- thank you, Your Majesty.”

“Stand up,” orders the King.

“Huh?”

“I have a gift for you,” says King, as Jimin stands up. He watches the King walk over and comes back with a red silk coat. Without uttering a word, he places the King on Jimin, who stood frozen,

“It is made from pure silk,” he says, “Wear it to the banquet.” Jimin gulps, as he trembles, afraid such expensive gifts do not come with a prize.

“Your Majesty, I- I am not worthy of such a gift. “

The King chuckles, heat from his fingers creeps into his consciousness, as he lifts up his chin. Jimin flinches from the unexpected touch, his bottom lip trembles as the King caresses his face,

“Nothing is comparable to your beauty, not even this silk, such fair skin has no price,” continues, his finger tracing his face, “Your eyes, your voice, your gestures, not even the prettiest gemstone has such finesse to it. Thoughts of you ravish me.”

 

Jimin clenches his fingers tightly, his stomach turning, as the King continued to caress his cheek. Remembering that he is supposed to be at the entertainment house for rehearsal, he apologizes taking a step back,

“Your Majesty,” he says softly, his voice shaken, “I- “

“Speak.”

“I am needed at rehearsal at the Royal Entertainment House for the third Prince’s banquet.”

The King exhales, “Alright.

“By Your Majesty’s Grace, I am humbled to receive such a beautiful gift.”

“I heard you are to learn horse riding,” says the King, “I will soon take you hunting.”

“If it pleases you, Your Majesty.”

***

Jimin made his way to the Entertainment House, as staff in the palace rushed back and forth preparing for the Prince’s banquet. He thoughts of many ways to speak to his siblings but nothing eased the pain in his heart.

As he nears the gates of the house, he can hear music coming from it, he takes a deep breath and knocks on the gate. Waiting for a few minutes, the gate opens, and he greets the woman servant, and she lets him in.

Jimin, cautiously walks inside, as the woman servant took him to the sitting room, where all the performers were.

“Elder brother?” a soft voice comes from him, and he comes to a halt. He turns around and sees Dahyun, standing behind him, eyes wide and frozen.

“Dahyun?”

They stared at each other momentary, before she rushed to him, hugging him, eyes filled with tears,

“Elder brother,” she exclaims, “I have missed you so much.” Jimin clenches his jaw, as she squeezed him tighter, sniffling, “I know it was not true. Mom told us you had abandoned us. I knew it was a lie.” Dahyun loudly sobbed into his chest unceasingly, hands clutching at his clothing, tight. He held her in silence, rubbing her back.

“Come on, you will get sick if you keep crying,” he says.

She sniffles, calming herself down, as she in her tears, wiping them with her hands, muttering incoherent words.

“Where are the others?”

“In the yard practicing,” she says, trying to stop crying, “I do not understand, why are you here?”

Jimin sighs, “I’ll tell you guys together after the banquet, okay.”

Dahyun stares at him, eyes red, he forces a smile, laughing, “Your eyes are going to get all puffy,” he says.

“Come on,” she says, taking his hand, “Elder sister Suzy and Elder brother Taemin will be so happy to see you.”

 

They entered the yard where all the performers were rehearsing.

“Elder sister Suzy! Elder brother Taemin! Calls Dahyun, “Look who is here?”

Taemin and Suzy turn around, eyes wide and mouth open, shocked. Jimin chuckles, waving at them, as they slowly walked to where they were standing, unable to speak.

“Wh-Elder brother,” says Suzy, as they approached him, “How come you are here?”

Jimin chuckles, “Long story,” he says, “We’ll speak later.”

Jimin turns to Taemin, who stares at him with concern, he gives him a small smile, placing his hand on his shoulder, giving it a squeeze,

“We have a show to prepare for,” he says, “Let’s not delay any longer.”

“Wait, you are performing with us?” asks Dahyun.

“Yes.”

***

“You look beautiful,” says Dahyun, walking to where Jimin stood, staring at his reflection., “Must have cost a fortune.”

Jimin sighs, staring at the outfit, he was given by Madam, since he had no outfit of his own to dance with aside from the King’s gift, which could not really dance in.

“It does not come close to your designs,” he says, “They are priceless.”

Dahyun smiles, “Hmm, what is that?”

Jimin turns to the chest that had the red silk, he sighs, “It’s nothing,” he replies.

“You are alright, aren’t you?”

“Yes, of course,” he says, “I am happy now that I can be here with you all.”

“Then why did you leave us?”

Jimin sighs, “I do not have the time to explain now, tomorrow I will explain everything.”

“I trust you but promise you will go back home with us.”

“I am sorry, but I cannot make that promise, Dahyun, but never doubt how much I love you all, I will do anything to get back to you guys, that I can promise.” Jimin caresses her head.

“It is time,” says one of the servants.

 

The banquet was held in the Great Hall as all events are usually held. It was a large room with a glass ceiling that allowed the moon’s ray to add color to the room, and today the moon was at the center of the sky, which made the room appear blue. Far in the back of the Great Hall was a raised platform for the high table where the King and his family sat. On the left side of the hall was the table for the nobles and members of the court sat, on the right side sat the table for the Royal guest, the Princess, and Princes from neighboring Kingdom that came, then a foot down was a table for concubines, where Jimin would have been seated if he were not performing. And in the center at the far end of the Great Hall was the stage for the Entertainers, facing the royal family.

Standing in formation, head lowered, Jimin takes a deep breath and glances up, the King sat in the middle, beside him was Queen, then his Consort. It was the first time seeing the Consort, Jimin was not surprised, of course, she was young and beautiful. He glances over to where the royal children sat, the Crown Prince Jin, the second Prince Taehyung and the third Prince Jungkook, the guest of honor. Jimin’s gaze stays on him. Jungkook was dressed in official clothing, just like his brothers, Jimin let his gaze linger, looking at him. He dressed in a white shirt, black long sleeve stands collar top with gold embroidery. 

He really is a prince.

Jimin bites his lip, lowering his gaze, feeling a tug in his heart as it accelerated. The music beginning, center stage, he stood. The lights on the stage turned bright and the rhythm started to pulse into him, his eyes scanning the audience who sat in silence, some whispering among themselves, others hypnotized by the dancers and some criticizing with malice and sneers. But he did not care as he embraced liberty, as long as he was on stage, his worries melted away. His elbows gracefully tear through the air, in perfect rhyme with his body and feet.

 

He was not ruled by the shackles that fate had placed on him. 

He moves closer to where the royal family’s table, his solo moment, a loose butterfly, with each spin and formation of a butterfly, his eyes locked with a family member. First the King, who gave him a lustful gaze, then the Queen whose glare expressed pure hate, then the Crown Prince who smiled, admiring what he was seeing, then the second Prince whose smirk spoke of curiosity as he glances at his father, and then back at Jimin. Then the guest of honor, the third Prince whose dilated pupils made his brown doe eyes expressed an expression Jimin could not make out. He was unsure, but he knew the third Prince never stopped gazing at him, each time he spins, his eyes followed him, and they looked deeply into each other's eyes, and each time he felt a spark of passion. An unfamiliar feeling, no one has ever gazed with so much wonder, curiosity, and admiration. This was not something King would not approve of.

 Jimin moves back to join the others, as the concluded the dance with the formation of a butterfly. His eyes close, and he lets out an exhale, reality rushing him and waking him up.