Part four

Sing Your Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 4

 

 

When Kibum arrived at the Blue Night, it was still too early in the evening for it to be open. Just like every Wednesday, the bar opened one hour later than usual to prepare the stage : it was the performances’ night. The event planner gently knocked at the window pane to make sure his best friend would notice him, after all he was coming to help… among other plans. Minho was fast to come, opening the door and letting him enter.

 

 

“You came right on time !” He enthusiastically said. “We were about to set the tables so choose the one you want for you and the subway guy.”

 

“His name is Jonghyun, it’s not that hard to remember.” The brown haired man retorted as he removed his jacket, his friend taking it. “I want us to have a ringside seat.”

 

“And the magic word ?”

 

“Faster ?”

 

 

The bartender raised his closed fist, pretending to hit his friend while the latter spread his arms and gestured him to come if he dared. Both of them were obviously messing around like they always did since they had met in middle school, years before. It wasn’t surprising anymore to see them threatening each other, one sometimes throwing any soft item he found at the other… even within the Blue Night’s staff — if one could call it a staff — it was barely a situation worth to be defused.

 

When both men stopped playing, they eventually joined the preparations by setting the tables. Dark purple tablecloths were placed on them, soon followed by as many small plates that each table needed. It was the only evening of the week when Minho would place an order with a caterer partner ; it wasn’t something big, the bar proposed drinks as usual but also homemade surprise breads. 

 

The performances’ nights had progressively drawn more and more customers’ attention, to the point it had been inevitable to organise bookings. Not all seats were taken and most of them were booked by regular customers who saw in these Wednesdays a form of meeting place where they would enjoy an evening in an atmosphere they appreciated. There was always space for newcomers who grew curious and gave this special moments a try… until some of them would start booking from time to time.

 

 

“What’s in the bread this time ?” Kibum asked while he was putting one at the center of a table. “Please tell me there are some with salmon and avocado.”

 

“I personally asked for those, since I knew you were coming.” The tall man replied, winking at him. “Not every Wednesday can be a Wednesday with my best friend attending my party.”

 

“You should stop being that nice with him, he’ll grow spoiled and unbearable.” 

 

 

Both men looked up with a smile on their face, the gratuitous attack meaning nothing but a friendly joke when it came from Jinki’s mouth. The latter was only two years older than the best friends but he smiled so much it wasn’t that noticeable — it was like his face kept rejuvenating despite the tiny fine lines on the corners of his eyes.

 

 

“If it’s not the artist of the day !” The event planner smiled before embracing his friend. “Let him be, I like it when he buys me things.”

 

“Sure you like it.” His elder said, returning the hug before standing next to the bartender. “I think even I can’t do anything against that.”

 

“I truly calmed down when I met you, though.” Minho retorted. “Now I have two mouths to feed, that’s what having a best friend and a boyfriend means.”

 

“And you’re one to complain about it, right ? Anyway, the stage is ready so I just need to get changed, and warm my voice up. Kibum-ah, is your friend coming in the end ?”

 

“I’m not sure, he knows about it all but I can just wait until he comes… or not.” The brown haired man replied. “But he seemed less suspicious so I think it’s a good thing. Is it ?”

 

“It surely is. Minho showed me a bit of these videos of him, you know, and he’s pretty good. Taemin was impressed too.”

 

“So everyone here saw them, huh… by the way, where’s the kid ?”

 

“Coming later, he got an extra class at school today.” The taller man answered before clapping his hands. “So, time to get prepared ! We open in less than half an hour and there’s still a lot to do. Shoo !”

 

 

With his hand, Minho gestured Jinki to head to the changing room while himself went behind the stage’s curtain to check on the lighting desk and sound controls. The console was quite small and would actually not be touched at all during the whole evening, for the bartender would make sure everything would work well without any surveillance. He was used to, and no issue had ever occurred so he wasn’t worried.

 

While his friends were kept busy with the last preparations, Kibum eventually sat at the table he had chosen and took his phone to check the time. It was quarter to seven, he would soon know about Jonghyun’s decision ; after all, he hadn’t asked him something that meant an incommensurable commitment right away. It was just about taking a look at what Minho’s business was about and if it pleased him, then perhaps give it a try. Him coming to the bar that night wasn’t a yes… but it wasn’t a no either.

 

 

*  *  *  *  * 

 

 

Time had never gone so slowly, and the event planner was losing his patience as he couldn’t do anything more than wait. The Blue Night had opened around ten minutes before and a few customer had taken their seat already. It was common for the performance to start at half past to allow everyone to arrive and order a drink. Minho was really strict about this, no artist could start their show as long as not all spectators had their glass. 

 

At some point, orders grew abundant and before his best friend ended up dropping something because of haste, Kibum stood up and came behind the bar. He didn’t need to say a word nor ask permission, the bartender giving him a tray and a table number before thanking him ; his relief was clearly noticeable and it was enough for the event planner to give as much help as he could. Moreover, his business hadn’t come so he had time to kill.

 

 

“Taemin usually sits at the bar.” Minho commented when both men found each other behind the counter again. “If the guy doesn’t show up, I’ll tell him to join you so you’re not alone. Sounds good ?”

 

“Do you think he will come ?” The brown haired man asked, his eyes staring at the door.

 

“Well… I suppose everyone can be late. But I won’t be able to accept more customers once Jinki starts and you know that, so he better not be too late.”

 

“Yeah, I know.”

 

 

Saying this, Kibum brought the last tray to a group of university students, giving each their drink before he looked at his phone. 

 

7:26PM.

 

He didn’t know why he felt so desperate to see Jonghyun pass the door, and anxious at the thought he wouldn’t come at all. He had seen that man only three times in his life, how could he give so much importance to a potential business that had, in reality, nothing to do with him ? It wasn’t like he would gain anything from it, financially or morally. Yet, he had jumped on the opportunity when it had come to him, just like that.

 

As he went back to sit at his table, staring at his phone, he remembered how these few meetings had had such an impact on his whole being. His mesmerization had led to a need to find this young singer, making space to a new form of anxiety when he had found the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter