Chapter 5

Crisis Averted

“Ara-sshi, let me get this straight, so you won’t be in Seoul this weekend?”

 

“The New York Times just published a piece calling our performance ‘a contemporary masterpiece’,” Ara giggles, clearly pleased, “we’ve already sold out the shows in the original run but we’ve been getting so many requests, the committee wants to do a repeat run. I’m sure you understand Jaejoong-sshi, this is such a huge opportunity for me.”

 

She hasn’t answered the question, but yes, Jaejoong does understand. It’s not often that a Korean ballerina can headline an ABT production, let alone one that has opened to critical acclaim. And while the nationalistic side of him is excited on her behalf, this runaway-bride-disappearing-act is turning out to be his worst professional nightmare.

 

“So,” he begins carefully, already imagining the worst case scenario, “how long do you think you’ll be in New York for?”

 

“I don’t know,” Ara says breezily, giddy with excitement. “But at least a month more I’m told.”

 

A month more, loosely translates to Yunho and Ara’s wedding going on ice indefinitely. Which less loosely translates to Jaejoong having to make a lot of calls to push back every meeting he’s scheduled for the next four weeks. And god, there are a lot of them because Kim Jaejoong is an overachieving, over scheduled perfectionist, which serves him pretty well for 99% of his life and then also ing bites him in the when he’s least expecting it.

 

All because Ara conveniently led him to believe their original plan was still standing and she would be in Seoul, as she promised, this weekend. Until she phoned him exactly fifteen minutes ago to say, oops, she wasn’t.

 

While Jaejoong can put up with some yelling and cursing from his florists and caterers, with such late notice, there is no way in hell Chateau Mormont, only the most prestigious vineyard in all of Seoul, with its two year wait list is going to reschedule.

 

“I understand this is a wonderful opportunity for you Ara-sshi, and we at Dong Bang Wedding Specialists send our warmest congratulations. We just have one minor issue. The Dreams Come True Wedding package you requested includes several premium experiences with our exclusive vendors in Seoul—”

 

“Yes, yes,” Ara says in that politely blank tone which tells Jaejoong she’s stopped listening, “that’s a minor issue. Everything will be just perky Jaejoong-sshi, don’t you worry about it.”

 

“Ara-sshi, I think we should still—“

 

“I must apologize,” Are says, cutting him off with a tinkling, girlish laugh that grates on Jaejoong’s nerves, “but I do have to run for rehearsals now. If there’s anything else, you came highly recommended by Marie Clare, so I’m entrusting all the wedding decisions to your capable hands!”

 

And with that, she hangs up, leaving Jaejoong clutching despondently at the phone and its ominous dial tone.

 

 

 

 

 

”Hey,” Yunho says, when he swings by the shop at a quarter past nine that evening, locking the door behind him as he enters.  “Where’s the fire?”

 

“You’re seven hours too late,” Jaejoong returns grumpily, from where he’s slumped over the countertop. “Do you never check your messages?”

 

“Just the ones from you,” Yunho teases, pulling off his coat and setting it on Jaejoong’s coatrack.

 

He struts in front of Jaejoong, mimicking pulling off his shirt and posing like a cheesy superhero. “Someone rang my office looking for superman, so here I am. At your service.” 

 

“You think you’re cute,” Jaejoong says affectionately, his mouth twitching in amusement at Yunho’s antics,  “but you’re not.”

 

“I kind of am,” Yunho counters with a pout and then softens when Jaejoong just slumps back down onto the counter with a sigh.

 

“Come on, I rushed all the way here from the other side of town. Tell Uncle Yunho what’s going on. You sounded pretty upset.”

 

“What’s wrong?” Jaejoong asks morosely, “I don’t know where to begin. You mean aside from the fact that your irresponsible fiancee eloped to New York to join ABT and is never coming back and without her we have zero wedding to speak of?”

 

Jaejoong frowns, when Yunho doesn’t respond, opting instead to smile patiently back at him. “Shouldn’t you be more nervous about this? You’re the one marrying her.”

 

“I am,” Yunho agrees, calmly, and for a fleeting second, those words, said with such certainty, hurt a little. For reasons Jaejoong doesn’t want to examine too closely. “And that’s why it doesn’t surprise me. I know her better than anyone else. She’ll be back. We might end up with a spring wedding instead of an autumn one, but she’ll be back.”

 

“Sorry,” Jaejoong says belatedly, recognizing that it is never a good strategy to insult your clients, even if they kind of you over by lying about their schedule and then changing it at the last minute. ”It’s been that kind of day.”

 

“I know,” Yunho says, sincerely, his hand warm and sturdy on Jaejoong’s shoulder, “that’s why I’m here.”

 

It’s not the first time Jaejoong’s landed in a crisis, only to be reassured by Yunho’s capable hands, his discerning mind that works a mile a minute, fixing and organizing until everything is back in its proper place, until Jaejoong’s not sure why he was worrying at all.

 

Jaejoong looks at him, really looks at him, at the way Yunho stands, hip cocked against the counter, head slightly tilted, the picture of competence; to the way his intelligent brown eyes watch Jaejoong, patient and open. 

 

Jaejoong looks at Yunho’s palm, still resting lightly on his shoulder and wonders what it would be like to have Yunho’s arms around him, his fingers Jaejoong’s hair, wonders if his arms really were as secure and comforting as they looked, if his skin really ran hot all over. All of a sudden, he has to fight the overwhelming urge to throw himself into Yunho’s arms. To let Yunho hold him and tell him that its all going to be okay, because he’s not alone, they’ll fix this together.

 

Jaejoong’s cheeks burn and he glances away, shifting so Yunho’s hand slides easily off of his shoulder. He’ll man up and handle this alone, like he’s done everyday for the past five years.

 

"Well," Jaejoong clears his throat, standing up to put some distance between them, “Ara requested The Dreams Come True Wedding package, one of our most premium-tiered services which include exclusive bonding experiences for the wedding couple and—“

 

“Slow down,” Yunho laughs, “you’re using too many polysyllables. I’m just a humble businessman, you have to speak to me like one. What about this Disney fairytale package?”

 

“Dreams Come True Wedding package,” Jaejoong corrects on autopilot, “it’s a series of exclusive events the couple gets to experience together to strengthen their bond. It usually results in them being madly in love by the time the wedding day comes around.”

 

“And that’s what I’m signed up for?”

 

“The biggest, baddest, most potent love potion there is.”

 

“But that’s… good, isn’t it?” Yunho rubs his thumb over his mouth thoughtfully. “So what’s the issue?”

 

“About that,” Jaejoong says, biting his lip, “I called in a special favor to get you  two an appointment at the Chateau Mormont for this weekend. Ara was supposed to be back last week so it would have been perfect, but she called earlier today and…”

 

“Let me guess, she’s extending her trip to New York indefinitely?” Yunho asks, and Jaejoong’s not sure if he imagines the disappointment in Yunho’s honeyed baritone.

 

“It’s fine,” Jaejoong says, “I’ve been able to move everything else around, but the Chateau is kind of a special place. We need to give a three month notice at least to reschedule. And given your appointment is,” he checks his watch “in less than 24 hours, rescheduling or even managing a refund is impossible.” 

 

Yunho nods, but doesn’t say anything so Jaejoong continues, contrite. "We will manage, of course. I can have Changmin look into alternative wineries, and maybe the Chateau will put some of that deposit into a discount on wines for the wedding.”


"Right," Yunho says, after a long pause, his lips thinning. He sighs then, running a hand through his hair, “I’m really sorry, I had no idea how many things were already in the pipeline. Or how much of an inconvenience this is to you.”


The sincerity and frustration apparent in Yunho’s voice makes Jaejoong’s previous irritation melt away, replaced by sympathy. Clearly, Yunho was as much a victim of this fiasco as Jaejoong had been.

 

“I mean, money is no object of course,” Yunho says, “and if we have to forgo the Chateau, I completely understand. This is on us, so do whatever you need to sort out this mess.”

"Well," Jaejoong says, softening, “it’s happening this Saturday, and since we can’t reschedule maybe you should go. After all you are one half of the happy couple, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.”

 

“I couldn’t miss it even if I wanted to," Yunho says, breaking into a crooked smile, “you sent my secretary 33 emails warning her to cancel all my meetings for this Saturday. Nineteenth April. It’s not a date I will ever forget. I even have the address programmed into my GPS.”

 

“Wait, so you’ll go?” Jaejoong blinks, a little taken aback at how easily the situation is resolving itself. Most customers would be whining and threatening to file a suit at small claims court. "You don't even know what it is."

 

“Surprise me."

 

"Well, it's a wine tasting experience."

 

Yunho an eyebrow. “Anndddd you’re looking at me like you’re expecting me to say no?”

 

Jaejoong raises an eyebrow, “you’re … not?”

 

‘Why would I say no to free wine? Do I look like a heathen to you?”

 

“Well, there’s just one other thing,” Jaejoong interjects, shyly. “It's for two.”

 

“Is that an unsubtle hint Mr Kim Jaejoong?”

 

“Wha—?” Jaejoong blushes, clearly flustered. “No! I—“ 

 

Yunho leans over the counter, so he’s in Jaejoong’s face and shoots him a jaunty grin, suave and confident “so, what is my overworked, underpaid wedding consultant doing this Saturday?”

 

“If you’re requesting that I you to the Chateau Mormont,” Jaejoong says prissily, “my company doesn’t come cheap.” 

 

“Deal.” Yunho says, holding out a hand for Jaejoong to shake.

 

Jaejoong takes it, and tells himself that he is absolutely not secretly looking forward to spending time with the fiancé of his client and that the butterflies in his stomach are from relief.