Lany - Malibu Nights

The Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I got way too much time to be this hurt
Somebody help, it's getting worse
What do you do with a broken heart?
Once the light fades, everything is dark
Way too much whiskey in my blood
I feel my body giving up
Can I hold on for another night?
What do I do with all this time? Yeah

 

 

*****

 

 

How I wish I had been asleep at that time; how I wish I hadn't compelled myself to stay awake, to listen to your words. Why didn't I simply pretend to sleep that night? Why did I have to hear those words from you?

Why, Irene?

I wanted to ask you that, but I was frozen in place. My body couldn't move, yet I felt tears streaming down my cheeks. I cried in silence; I didn't utter a word while you stood there, your eyes filled with guilt. But why?

Why, Irene?

I don't know how I managed to sleep that night; perhaps I cried myself to sleep. What I do know is that you stayed there, sitting at the edge of the bed, watching me cry myself to sleep. Strangely, I was thankful that you didn't move to hug me or touch me. Honestly, I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. Sleep didn't provide any solace because the moment I opened my eyes, I was reminded of what you confessed last night.

Once again, my heart shattered, and this time, I knew there was no escaping what had happened. I needed to confront you about it, even though I was terrified of what you might say. I slowly got up from the bed; my body felt heavier than on any other morning. Maybe it was because you weren't there when I opened my eyes, or perhaps it was because I knew this was just the beginning of mornings like this. Why did it have to be this way?

Why, Irene?

I found you sitting on the couch in the living room, holding an almost empty cup of coffee. You were drinking coffee even though we both knew you didn't like it; perhaps you needed something strong to brace yourself for what was about to happen next, huh?

You raised your head when you heard me walking into the living room. I noticed dark circles under your eyes, and they were slightly swollen.

"There's coffee in the kitchen if you want," your voice was hoarse.

"I don't need it," I replied, although both of us knew that wasn't what I needed right now.

"Why?" I asked.

I guess sleep had helped me; the words I'd been wanting to ask last night finally came out of my mouth. You averted your eyes when I asked that; I clenched my fist when you only replied with, "I'm sorry."

All the emotions I had bottled up last night finally surfaced.

Anger.

"Sorry? Really, Irene? How dare you say you're sorry as if you've just knocked something off the floor, expecting me to pick it up and forgive you? No! You cheated on me, Irene! You cheated on me! So I don't need your sorry right now; I need to know why! Why the hell did you cheat on me, Irene? Why?!"

Disappointment.

"How could you do this, Irene? I trusted you with everything; never once during our time together did I think you'd do this to me."

Hurt.

"I thought we were happy; I thought you were happy with me. I thought we both felt the same about our relationship. Tell me, Irene, what did I do wrong? Is it me? Is it my fault? Did I do something to make you seek someone else?"

I was choking on my tears while asking you those questions. So many thoughts were racing through my head, so many questions, but you stayed silent, your head down, silently sobbing. Why couldn't you give me an answer, Irene?

Why, Irene?

"Don't you love me anymore?" I asked, my voice filled with sorrow, terrified of what you might say, yet desperate to know the truth.

"I do; I love you, Seul," out of all the questions I threw at you, you managed to answer the last one quickly. Your head snapped up in an instant to look at me; your eyes told me that what you said was true. Did you really?

"Then why?"

"Why, Irene?"

 

 

"I'm sorry, Seul. I never meant for it to happen this way," Irene stammered, her voice breaking. "I love you, but I lost myself somewhere along the way. I didn't know how to fix it, and I thought finding something new might reignite the passion we had. I never wanted to hurt you."

Seulgi's eyes welled up with tears as she tried to process Irene's words. The pain in her voice was evident, but the betrayal cut deep. "I don't understand, Irene. We had something real, something beautiful. Why did you have to look for it elsewhere?"

Irene lowered her gaze, her voice barely audible. "I got lost, Seul. I lost sight of what truly mattered, and I let my insecurities and desires cloud my judgment. I wish I could turn back time and undo the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter