Epilogue

High School Unnie

Epilogue

“Byul ah!”

“What?”

“I’m hungry!”

“Are you serious? Are you a cow or something?!”

“Stop saying that. I’m carrying your baby, you know?”

The argument fell through. Moonbyul couldn’t really fight with that even if she wanted to so badly. She gave up; and raised her hands in the air. She stomped back into her room.

“You just have to use the baby card, don’t you?”

“She loves me.”

Just then, Moonbyul stepped out of the room while holding on to her helmet. She stood in front of the pregnant woman.

“What would you like to eat, honey?”

“Just some snacks. I will try not to eat too much. If I grow fat, you might dump me.”

“Rubbish. How could I dump you? My eyes are only for you, baby.”

Moonbyul kissed her girl’s forehead before leaving the house immediately. And not even 5 minutes since Moonbyul left, the girlfriend started whining.

“I MISS MOONBYUL!”

“ANH HYEJIN, SHE JUST STEPPED OUT OF THE HOUSE!”

“JUNG WHEEIN, ASK HER COME HOME FASTER!”

Wheein rolled her eyes; if not for Hyejin’s pregnant, she would have thrown the basket of fruits she was carrying. Yes, Moonbyul and Hyejin got together. It was out of the blue when the two confessed to Wheein that they were going out. And one thing led to another; suddenly Hyejin announced that she’s pregnant with Moonbyul’s baby.

It was a joyous occasion, and everyone celebrated together. Wheein was moved to tears when the couple got engaged just recently. Once the baby is born, Moonbyul would go ahead with the wedding with just their family and friends.  Hyejin is having a girl.

“I’m going to sleep.”

And Hyejin’s randomness was beyond Wheein’s imagination. Her mood swings were worst than hers when she was pregnant with Ben. And of course, everyone in the house gave in to Hyejin more often than usual. Nobody wanted to be in her bad books.

“Okay, get some sleep. I will text Moonbyul to come home earlier.”

“You better!”

Wheein, calm down. Breathe in, breathe out. Anh Hyejin is an annoying witch because she’s pregnant. Wheein had to remind herself time and time again. But Hyejin fell asleep almost immediately; the moment her head hit the cushion; she was gone into her slumber. Getting pregnant is no easy task. Swollen feet; heavy stomach and your bladder felt like it was a running tape. The damn baby kept sitting on it; and you had no choice but to pee every now and then.

Wheein went through that when she was pregnant with Ben. But despite all that, she missed getting pregnant. Although it was an unwanted pregnancy, Wheein was thankful that she got to experience having a baby.

Ben, her baby, her son. She misses him so much. It felt like just yesterday she was holding him in her arms and now he’s not here. She picked up the photo frame on her dressing table. Ben was only 2 hours old when Yongsun took a photo of him and Wheein. Wheein smiled when she recalled those times where Ben would whine for her.

Even feeding was something Wheein missed so greatly. That feeling of having your own baby close to your chest; and the baby connected to you in a way that you could never imagine.  She sighed.

If only she could turn back the hands of time, she would photo-freeze those times again and again.

Ben has her eyes; has her nose; has two dimples on both sides of his cheeks and he has black bushy hair on the top of his crown. He’s such a perfection that Wheein created that she was inclined to thank her ex-boyfriend for giving his best genes to her son. If not for that jerk, Wheein wouldn’t even imagine she could fall in love with one tiny person and it’s with all her heart.

Never mind the world; the only world she would care for – her son’s world. He is her world.

-

Wheein woke up; she must have fallen asleep earlier on. She found herself lying at the edge of the bed; she must have missing Ben so much that it was too much for her body to take. She sat up and looked around her room. Then she looked at the time.

She has slept for 2 hours and she decided to head out of the room. If Hyejin couldn’t find her; she might break into a misfit and Wheein’s life would be miserable. But instead of finding Hyejin, she found someone familiar. She broke into a tiny smile.

“Oh, you’re awake?”

“Where’s Hyejin?”

“She wants to get some fresh air. I lent my car to Moonbyul for her to drive her Queen around.”

“How long have you been home?”

“Not long. Probably about half an hour ago?”

Wheein settled down on that person’s lap. She wrapped her arms around her neck and pecked her lips.

“I miss you, Kim Yongsun.”

“I miss you too, Jung Wheein.”

Wheein finally got her woman. She got her good and Yongsun was there to stay forever. Not only that, they got married and having their own family just like what Moonbyul and Hyejin did.

“MAMA!”

Wheein glanced over her shoulders and smiled widely. She stood up and put her arms out; a little child came running towards her. She lifted the child up and swirled around the room. The little one shrieked at the top of the lungs.

“Mama, I miss you.”

“I miss you too.”

-

“Wheein, the family is here.”

Wheein was having cold feet. She didn’t want to give Ben up. She held him so tightly that her knuckles turned white. Moonbyul noticed something wasn’t right.

“Wheein, relax.”

“I can’t. Unnie, I can’t.”

Wheein shook her head vigorously. No, she thought she could do this but of course, her actions spoke otherwise. Moonbyul was pulling her along gently; she couldn’t do anything either. Ben’s fate has been sealed. His new family would take him away from Wheein.

“Unnie, I can’t. I can’t give him up. Unnie, please help me.”

Wheein was pleading and Moonbyul’s heart ached so badly. Hyejin was already crying. It was a pitiful sight. And like as though he knew, Ben was crying; screaming his lungs out.

The social welfare officer was at loss too. She has seen such situations before but under many circumstances, the birth mothers would lose out. They have already signed their rights away. There was no way Wheein could keep Ben by her side this time.

She went up to Wheein and gently patted her head.

“Wheein ah, this new family is a good family. The moment they learnt about Ben, they immediately want to take him and raise him well. And they say if you want to be a part of Ben’s life, they will allow you to do so.”

Wheein slowly looked up and met with the officer’s gentle smile.

“They really said that? Do they mean what they say?”

“Yeah, they do. It’s all in the contract that they have prepared for you.  You can still visit Ben, take Ben out on some days; basically be in Ben’s life as he grows up.”

“They must be really nice people.”

“They just want Ben to have his mother next to him.”

Wheein looked at Ben; the boy was snuggling against her chest. God, this was so painful; this was so torturous; heart-wrenching and Wheein never realized how terrible it was to give up on her own child. But since she has made this decision, she needs to go through it.

She slowly made her way to the main office where the new family was waiting. Her heart was thumping so hard; that she thought it would be ripped off instantly. Hyejin and Moonbyul were following her from behind; the 3 ladies were thinking of the worse.

Time slowly ticked away as the trio made their way into the main office. Wheein saw a lady sitting on the sofa; with her back facing them. And another elderly lady was sitting next to her. Wheein swallowed hard; prayed hard that she could let go of this grip.

The officer approached the other two ladies and whispered something. Then they stood up and turned around. Moonbyul and Hyejin were stunned. Wheein almost dropped Ben to the floor. She was beyond surprised.

“Mom?!”

Wheein could barely speak. Just a soft raspy voice that came along with her tears – the elderly woman was her mother.

“Yongsun unnie?!”

The other lady was none other than Kim Yongsun.

-

Ben was adopted by Kim Yongsun. He was officially Yongsun’s baby boy. Wheein was still in shocked. It was unbelievable. Once the papers signed, the social welfare officially declared Ben Jung is now Kim Yongsun’s son.

“Congratulations, Miss Kim!”

“Thank you.”

“Since you know Miss Jung, I will leave you two alone for a while. The lawyers will send out the official documentation to your home address. Once you receive them, please let them know.”

Yongsun nodded before turning to face Wheein. Ben was still in Wheein’s arms; the mother’s protective arms around him.

“Wheein, are you okay?”

“Why are you doing this? Why is my mother here? Why did you adopt Ben?”

There were too many questions running through her mind but she wanted to know so badly. But instead of Yongsun, her mother spoke up instead.

“Yongsun searched for me. She went to look for me and she told me everything. She told me what happened to you; what you did; and what you have been doing. And she showed me a photo of Ben. She told me, this is your grandson. He resembles so much like Wheein. He is. He looks exactly like you when you were born; when I took you home from the hospital.

Yongsun then shared with me what you have been doing with your life. I know you’re working now. Working for a local library downtown in the day and looking after Ben in the night. How tiring it might have been for you but Wheein, I saw you one day. I saw you walking home from work; picking up dinner for these girls and then I saw you taking Ben home from the infant care.

You were smiling so widely. Your eyes sparkled the moment you held Ben in your arms. I could see your love for him. Although it was only a week; but I was convinced that my daughter, Wheein has grown from a silly little girl to a matured beautiful woman.

I’m sorry, sweetheart. I’m so sorry for abandoning you when you needed me the most. And I’m so sorry for ignoring you when you just had given birth and denying Ben his rights for his grandmother’s love.”

Wheein was crying hard. It never came across her mind that her mother knew all along. Was she mad at her mother? No, she was grateful that she was here.

Then her mother continued.

“Yongsun then went on to tell me that you’re giving Ben up for adoption. I was heartbroken.”

Wheein’s mother pulled her closer and hugged her tightly.

“It’s never easy to give up on your child, Wheein ah. But I know you had no choice. However Yongsun surprised me.”

The old lady turned to Yongsun and stretched her hand out. She held on to Yongsun’s hand tightly.

“Yongsun made up her mind. She wants to adopt Ben. It was Yongsun’s idea. She had seek her parents’ permission and mine too. Then she said something that made me feel at ease.”

Wheein looked at Yongsun.

“She loves you, Wheein. She’s in love with you all this while. And by adopting Ben, she wants to have a family with you. And she wants to raise Ben with you.”

-

Wheein and Yongsun sat in silence at the café opposite the social welfare building. Ben was safely in his grandma’s arms and his two Yimus, Moonbyul and Hyejin who were clearly excited that they could still keep Ben by their side. They were waiting at home, with Ben and Wheein’s mom.

The two women decided to have a good talk and Wheein honestly was still confused. She was pleasantly surprised though. The young lady was literally stunned when her mother revealed the truth. But she needed to hear from the woman herself.

Meanwhile Yongsun was shooting bullets. She never thought her secret would be revealed carelessly like this. And Wheein didn’t look pleased at all. She was afraid that Wheein might freak out. Suddenly, Wheein leaned closer and stretched out her palm. She rested her hand over Yongsun’s.

“Unnie..”

“Wheein ah, I can explain.”

Wheein shook her head. She didn’t need an explanation. She needed a confession.

“Is it true that you’re in love with me?”

Yongsun nodded and she didn’t like the feeling. She didn’t want to lose Wheein.

“How long has that been?”

“Since high school days.”

Wheein was completely taken aback. Her eyes grew larger and her heart ached instantly. It was beyond her imagination that this woman in front of her has been in love with her all the while.

“I like you since we met at the dance club. I was your Sunbae and you were my Hoobae. We got along together and I developed a strong liking towards you. I never really said anything because we are both girls. It would be weird and I might scare you off. Since then, I have been harbouring feelings for you; carrying the torch for you and I would do anything to protect you, Wheein.

Even when you came running to me and told me that the hunky guy in our school had asked you out. You started dating guys and I started to fall apart. But I never told you.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“Because it would be difficult to do so. It was clear to me that you’re straight. And I don’t want to lose your friendship. Besides, I thought I would get over you after I graduated from high school. But sadly, no. I never did.”

“You must have been devastated when I came running to you and told you I was pregnant.”

Yongsun smiled. She shook her head; it was a pleasant surprise. At least she got to look after Wheein.

“No, not really. I was really happy that you chose me when you were at your lowest period of your life. I was happy to be able to be here with you; helping you from the time you were pregnant till the day Ben was born. Everything was beautiful for me.”

“But what you did today is beyond what I could have imagined. You adopted my son, Unnie. You’re legally his mother now.”

“That’s why I’m here now to ask you to be mine.”

Time stood still. Everything was frozen; only Yongsun matters to Wheein at that moment.

“I don’t want another stranger to take Ben away from you. Ben is yours. He’s ours. He’s mine. Everything about today is all about Ben and you.”

“You’re crazy, Kim Yongsun. You’re insane.”

“I know. But this is the best thing I have done in my life so far.”

Then Wheein did the unexpected. It was enough to convince her if she didn’t hold on to this woman; she would be the biggest fool of all. Screw with the society; they can handle this by themselves. If it gets worse, they could just move to another country and start a new life again.

So, she stood up; went up closer to Yongsun; grabbed her from her blouse collar and Yongsun was forced to stand up; having a face-off with Wheein. Wheein was staring at her intently; so much was written in her eyes and Yongsun was getting terrified with the way Wheein’s glare eating her up inside.

Too close for comfort; Yongsun never got this close with Wheein before. Yet, Wheein refused to step away; trapping the older woman in her arms. She tilted her head sideways before leaning in. Yongsun was still watching her; and then when they were just a breath away; Wheein looked up and saw Yongsun’s glassy eyes.

She then rested her forehead against Yongsun before speaking up.

“I’m crazy too, Yongsun. I’m crazy about you. And I’m not going to make excuses anymore. No more doubting; no more acting stupid – if this is where my life should start; then I want it now.”

Yongsun was tongue-tied. She swallowed hard.

“So, if you want me now, tell me.”

“I want you. I want you so badly.”

“Here I am. Take me.”

And Yongsun went for Wheein’s lips. The one thing she had always wanted to do ever since she set eyes on Wheein – she wanted to kiss Jung Wheein until she drops dead and die.

-

“Baby, come here.”

Wheein gestured to her baby to move closer to her. Yongsun giggled before sitting next to her.

“Hm?”

“I need your warmth.”

Yongsun wrapped her arms around Wheein and embraced her tightly. Wheein was playing with her fingers before clenching her hand with Yongsun’s. Then she looked straight into her baby’s eyes. She whispered softly.

“You’re mine, Kim Yongsun.”

Wheein had shown sides of her that Yongsun had never known. Her possessiveness, her jealousy and her overzealous moments – sometimes Yongsun was a little scared but embraced them perfectly.

“I’m here, honey.”

“I saw you this morning. You had breakfast with Chorong unnie.”

“Baby, Chorong is my boss!”

“I know! I just cannot help it!”

Wheein pouted her lips; frustrated and perplexed with her jealousy rage. She didn’t want to behave like this; she didn’t want the risk of losing Yongsun because of her clingy issues. But Yongsun was always persuading her; assuring her and making her feel like she’s the only woman in Yongsun’s world.

“You can be anything you want, honey. I’m going to love you for the rest of my life until death do us part.”

“Am I overbearing?”

“You? What’s so overbearing about that?”

“I just want you for myself, baby. Sometimes when you spend time with Ben, I’ll get jealous too.”

“I know. Ben knows too.”

“I’m such a ridiculous mother.”

“Ridiculous or not, you’re still the woman I love.”

Damn it. Why must Yongsun be so loving? Wheein held her woman tighter.

-

Wheein had just finished washing the dishes on the kitchen sink. Moonbyul was helping her earlier on but Hyejin wasn’t feeling too well. So, she sent Moonbyul back to her room while she finished the rest by herself.

The living room was empty; however her bedroom light was still on. So she made her way to her room and was greeted with a beautiful sight. Ben was sleeping on Yongsun’s chest; while the woman leaned against the sofa in their bedroom.

They must have waited up for Wheein but fell asleep somehow. She sat next to Yongsun before picking Ben up; she settled him down on his bed before turning to her woman.

Kim Yongsun.

She restored her faith. She showered her with love. She stayed with her for the longest time. She provided her well. She gave her a reason to live and persevere on through her hardships despite the troubles she had faced all the while.

She made Wheein realized that love is patience. Love is forgiving and Wheein had forgiven her ex-boyfriend and moved on with her life. She made Wheein admit that Ben wasn’t a mistake. He’s a gift from God.

Well, Wheein thinks Ben is the bridge between her and Yongsun. Ben is also the catalyst that led her back to Yongsun and found her forever home. And Yongsun is the reason why she reconciled back with her mother.

And not only that, Wheein found another family – Yongsun’s parents. They were so happy when Ben officially became Yongsun’s son. And they found out Ben is her son; they were even more receptive. Embracing her with arms wide open and Wheein never felt so much loved before in her entire life.

She kissed Yongsun’s forehead before lying next to her baby.

“I’m not letting you go, sweetie. I’ll never ever let this grip loosen.”