END

High School Unnie

“Wheein?”

“I’m pregnant, Unnie.”

“What? How?”

Wheein kept her silence. Her ex-boyfriend was the father of her baby. But he left when he learnt about Wheein’s pregnancy; leaving the high school graduate defenceless. And her mother threw her out of the house. So, Wheein had nowhere to go except to her high school senior, Kim Yongsun.

Yongsun was perplexed when she found out. Wheein was her junior back in high school. The beautiful girl had a lot of suitors and fair share of boyfriends. But the two clicked when they stumbled upon each other at a singing competition. They became fast friends and became close after that.

But after Yongsun’s graduation, the girl whisked off to a college which was 2 hours away from her hometown. She gradually lost contact with Wheein and for the last 6 months, they were like complete strangers.

Now, Wheein was back with a baby in tow. She invaded Yongsun’s life once again.

-

“Unnie, who is that young lady in our living room?”

“She’s my junior. She has some problems at home and comes looking for me.”

Moonbyul was Yongsun’s college junior. She was a year younger than Yongsun. The two stayed together together with another housemate, Anh Hyejin. Hyejin has just recently graduated from high school and would be joining their college soon.

“Wait a minute. She looks familiar.”

Hyejin was scrutinizing Wheein’s facial expressions carefully before a realization hits her. She turned to Yongsun with wide open.

“SHE’S YOUR HIGH SCHOOL CRUSH!”

Yongsun lunged forward and covered Hyejin’s mouth with her palm. Her eyes were dancing with wary. And Moonbyul took a second look before she understood the whole matter.

“UNNIE!”

“SHH!”

“Are you even serious about this?!”

“She has nobody to turn to. I’m just going to let her stay with us for a couple of weeks until I find a solution for her.”

Hyejin was tapping on her hand; Yongsun removed it immediately.

“Unnie, are you sure you’re going to do this again? I still can remember that painful expression you had on your face when you talked about her the last time.”

“I know this is stupid, but I can’t leave her in the lurch like that.”

-

While the girls were discussing among themselves in the kitchen; Wheein sat in the living room in silence. She looked around the apartment; it was bigger than her own house in Jeonju. Seoul apartments were luxurious too.

She glanced over her shoulder; she could see the 3 girls standing; facing off each other. She was aware that the other two girls were wary of her. And she could understand their hostility. But there was one thing Wheein was unaware of – Yongsun’s unrequited love for her.

“Wheein ah, I’ll take you to my room.”

Yongsun appeared next to her; she had already grabbed Wheein’s luggage and walked ahead of her. The two girls were standing at the kitchen’s doorway; smiling at her. But Wheein knew they were uncomfortable with her.

Nevertheless, she followed Yongsun to her room and the older girl made her sat on the bed. The room was neat and clean. All the books were packed neatly on the shelves and the room walls were painted in pink. It was a typical girl’s room.

“Here.”

Yongsun passed her a packet drink which Wheein took it. Yongsun then sat on her study chair; her legs crossed, and worries were evident in Yongsun’s eyes.

“Unnie, I’m sorry. Your housemates must have been fighting with you.”

“Nah, they were just shocked and surprised. Don’t worry, they’re fine with this arrangement.”

“I have no where to go, Unnie. I felt like now.”

“Hey, it’s comforting that you came to look for me. I wouldn’t want you to live on your own. You need people around you.”

Wheein was moved to tears. She broke down immediately and Yongsun leaned closer. She pulled the younger girl in her arms and hugged her tightly. Wheein must be scared stiff; not knowing what to do. But Yongsun was surprised when Wheein explained her plans to her.

“I’ll give this baby up for adoption.”

“What?”

“I will bring him or her to this world, but I don’t think I’m capable of looking after the baby. I will let my baby lives with a family whom can provide more than I could.”

“Are you sure you can do it?”

“I don’t have a choice, Unnie. This is the best for the both of us.”

-

4 months have gone by. Wheein found a job at the local library. She was 6 months pregnant at that time and the baby bump was already showing. And Wheein wanted to be useful for Yongsun so she went out to work instead of just sitting at home.

She grew fast friends with Hyejin and Moonbyul has grown fond of her. Wheein was so easily loved because she was the cutest human being on Earth. No wonder Yongsun loves her to death.  It was Yongsun who got her the job at the library.

Yongsun would fetch her to and fro; ensuring Wheein’s safety. She continued to harbour feelings for Wheein but never really confessed to the younger girl. She took care of Wheein; made her food; bought her nutrients for her unborn baby – everything that she did was equivalent to a responsible husband and father.

Moonbyul and Hyejin constantly urged Yongsun to confess but the older woman was satisfied with the arrangement right now. She knew she might lose Wheein again but that was okay for her. Because at this very moment, Wheein was sticking herself to Yongsun. And Yongsun didn’t want this to end.

-

Wheein was waking up from her slumber. It was almost 8 am in the morning and she was on leave. She needed to visit the gynaecologist to check on her unborn baby. She turned to her left and noticed Yongsun on the floor mattress; still sleeping. Wheein checked on the time and was alarmed to learn that Yongsun might have overslept.

“Unnie?”

She called out to Yongsun but there were only groans coming from the older woman.  Wheein instinctively placed her hand on Yongsun’s forehead. It was burning hot.

“Unnie? Are you okay? Why are you burning up?”

“Wheein ah..”

“Yes? What happened? Are you sick?”

“I don’t feel good. My body is aching.”

Wheein grabbed her thermometer on the study table and took Yongsun’s temperature. It was 39 degrees Celsius. Wheein was alarmed with Yongsun’s high fever that she called Moonbyul for help. The woman rushed back from her class and Hyejin came along after that.

The three of them took Yongsun to the doctor and was advised to let Yongsun rest for the next two days. She was probably exhausted and stressed out.

“Yongsun unnie must be worried about her final year.”

“She’s going to graduate soon?”

“Yeah, it’s a final year and the exams are coming up. She must have been stressed out.”

The girls brought Yongsun back and Wheein tucked Yongsun into bed. She sat at the edge of the bed and carefully caressed Yongsun’s cheeks. They were still burning hot.

Hyejin and Moonbyul had to go back to their college. They still have classes in the afternoon so Wheein assured them that she could take care of Yongsun. Now there were just the two of them in the house.

Wheein moved around the apartment swiftly; since she stayed there, she had helped the girls with their laundry and cleaned the apartment for them. She was doing the same thing every day but this time, with a sick Kim Yongsun.

She made porridge and checked on Yongsun periodically. The fever subsided but Yongsun was still weak. And Wheein was worried sick for her. Nevertheless, she relentlessly took care of Yongsun and even fed her the porridge she made.

“Unnie, you have to take your medicine.”

“I can’t leave my head up. It feels so heavy.”

“Hang on.”

Wheein sat close to Yongsun before she lifted the older lady up. And she pulled Yongsun back; letting her lean on her. Yongsun’s body was still warm. She helped Yongsun to consume her medicine before resting Yongsun’s head on her lap.

Yongsun shifted and turned to face Wheein. Their eyes met; and Wheein was slowly sweeping Yongsun’s fringe back. Wheein’s heart started pumping rapidly. Having Yongsun so close like this suddenly made Wheein felt loved. Yongsun was vulnerable and Wheein wanted to protect her.

“Wheein ah..”

“Hmm?”

“I’m sleepy.”

“Get some sleep then.”

“On your lap?”

Wheein smiled and then nodded.

“Yes, if this makes you comfortable.”

And Yongsun fell asleep almost immediately. A soft snoring could be heard few minutes later. Wheein was watching her sleep in her lap; there was a fuzzy warm feeling creeping into her heart; it was a lovely fluttering feeling that hit Wheein instantly.

She’s falling in love.

She’s falling in love with high school senior.

She’s falling for Kim Yongsun.

-

“What are you talking about?”

“I saw you with a guy earlier on at the café.”

“A guy? Oh, Eric oppa!”

“Oppa?!”

“Ah, he’s my senior in college. We were just having coffee.”

Wheein bit her tongue. She was jealous; she was rage in jealousy. She saw Yongsun with a guy earlier at the café near the library. They were chummy. The guy was too close; dangerously close with Yongsun that made Wheein’s heart worried with anger.

“Is he your boyfriend?”

Wheein was worried that this question might kill her. She’s already in love with Yongsun but she never told the older woman. She felt like she had no right to.

“No, Wheein. He’s just a senior in school. He has a steady girlfriend whom I know too. We were waiting for his girlfriend while having coffee.”

Wheein felt dumb. She was jealous for nothing. But Wheein was afraid. She was terribly terrified that she might lose Yongsun to someone else. Yet, she felt like she had no right either to be selfishly telling Yongsun that she loves her.

This drove her crazy every single day.

“Why? Are you jealous?”

 “No, I’m just worried.”

“What are you worried of?”

Wheein couldn’t reply so she just rolled her eyes and ran to her bedroom. What was she supposed to say? What was she supposed to do? How was she supposed to admit?

How was she supposed to say that she’s in love with Kim Yongsun?

-

Moonbyul and Hyejin were suspecting that the both dumb women could have feelings for each other. They witnessed the quarrel between Yongsun and Wheein about Eric. Eric was innocent but yet he was the reason for the two women’s fight.

“Unnie, I think Wheein likes Yongsun unnie.”

“Not like. She loves our Unnie.”

“And Yongsun unnie loves her too?”

Moonbyul nodded.

“THEN WHY ARENT THEY ARE CONFESSING?!”

“I would like to know that too. They are driving me insane.”

Hyejin just shook her head. She wished the two women would find the truth soon.

-

It was close to the due date. And no confession was made either. Yet the two continued to love each other without realizing that they were in love. Wheein’s round stomach was growing bigger than ever. She went for an ultrasound and found out she was carrying a boy. The girls were excited and Yongsun often talked to the baby while lying next to Wheein.

She was acting like an excited Dad and Wheein’s heart ached each time she thought of that. Could Yongsun be the Daddy of her little baby? It was impossible. Yongsun’s a woman and she’s a woman too. How could two women raise a baby together in a conservative country? She didn’t wish to drag Yongsun down with her.

Yongsun, on the other hand, was reluctant to let this baby go after he’s born. She wanted him to stay with them; to stay with his mother and Yongsun. She had the strongest urge to raise this baby because he belongs to Wheein; his mother is the woman Yongsun loves so dearly.

Moonbyul and Hyejin returned to their hometown because it was Chuseok the next day. But Yongsun offered to stay with Wheein; she had already returned home to visit her parents two weeks ago. They knew Yongsun had her final year exams, so they relented. But the fact was Yongsun couldn’t bear to let Wheein live alone in this empty house.

So, she stayed with Wheein and the pair had so much fun together. Wheein was almost coming to her 9 months; her baby is growing, and her stomach grew rounder and rounder. Wheein complained she couldn’t see the floor and Yongsun sympathised with her.

Like the usual nights, Yongsun cooked dinner for them. Wheein was sitting at the kitchen table; as she watched Yongsun swiftly manoeuvring around the kitchen floor. She wanted to help but Yongsun insisted that she should just sit quietly and wait patiently. Wheein’s eyes were on Yongsun all the time; she loves the way Yongsun would read out loud the ways to cook the chicken; and the talks to herself as she finds the ingredients around the cabinet.

Yongsun could look as silly as she could but that wouldn’t stop Wheein’s love from growing. She has grown to adore Yongsun so much that Wheein found herself accepting Yongsun’s flaws without complaining.

For instance, Yongsun would get excited so easily and she would be at her loudest to hide her own embarrassment. Sometimes Wheein had to hide her face because the public would look at Wheein instead of Yongsun. Like as though Wheein was at fault for letting this mad woman running lose in the street.

But all that were just secondary. Wheein couldn’t care less if people would think worse of Yongsun. They didn’t know her. They didn’t have to. So, nowadays Wheein would glare at anyone who would think less of Yongsun. And they would back off because Wheein was like a wrath that one shouldn’t be caught with.

Yongsun is still in love. She loves Wheein since high school and it never fades away. Yongsun told herself that she would protect Wheein for as long as she could. She tremendously enjoyed this she undertook – being Wheein’s protector and Little Bean’s hero. Yes, the pair named Wheein’s unborn child “Little Bean”.

It was endearing and Yongsun loves calling out to him. The baby would respond by kicking in Wheein’s stomach; Yongsun witnessed it one day. She was thrilled.

That was when she realized she wanted this baby. She wanted Wheein. She wanted them to stay with her for the rest of their lives. She just wanted to take the responsibility of raising this family with Wheein. But one question kept haunting her – would Wheein allow them to be together?

Till this day, Yongsun was afraid of rejection. She was afraid that she might lose Wheein if she ever tells the younger woman that she loves her?

So annoying right? Yeah, the two women were just afraid to start a new.

-

“YONGSUN UNNIE! WHEEIN WATER BAG BROKE!”

“WATER BAG?! SHE IS IN DELIVERY?!”

“YES! OMG! JUNG WHEEIN! STOP SQUEEZING MY ARM!”

“UNNIE!!!! HELP!! MY STOMACH HURTS!”

“OKAY HANG ON! I’M GETTING THE CAR!”

Chaos ensued. Wheein was squeezing Moonbyul’s arm; Hyejin was hyperventilating; Wheein was in so much pain and Yongsun was trying to get her damn car moving.  After few initial seconds, Yongsun was speeding downtown and Moonbyul suffered under Wheein’s grip.

“I swear to God, Unnie. I will kill you if you don’t go any faster than this!”

“I’m trying! The traffic is bad!”

“URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Wheein, think happy thoughts!”

“ANH HYEJIN, IM GONNA BURST HERE AND YOU ASKING ME TO THINK OF HAPPY THOUGHTS?!”

“IM TRYING TO HELP YOU!”

“LET ME SMACK YOU HARD!”

“YONGSUN UNNIE HURRY UP! WE MIGHT DIE TODAY!”

“ARGH! JUNG WHEEIN! MY HAIR!”

And so the ride to the hospital was going crazier by the second. Wheein was no longer gentle; she was a monster.

-

The waiting game was taking longer than they thought. It was already 2 hours and there was still no sign of the baby. Yongsun, Moonbyul and Hyejin waited outside. It was a torturous wait and Yongsun was worried about Wheein. Suddenly a nurse popped out from the operating theatre with a blue bundle in her arms. The 3 ladies looked up instantly.

“The baby is here.”

They leapt up on their feet and crowded around the nurse. They peered into the bundle and they gasped. The baby boy was extremely beautiful. Yes, beautiful because he looks exactly like Wheein. Yongsun teared up almost immediately.

“Do you want to hold him?”

The nurse turned to look at Yongsun. The older woman nodded, and the nurse gently placed the baby in her arms. Yongsun was in love. She has fallen completely in love with the baby boy.

“Welcome to the world, Little Bean. I love you.”

-

Wheein was sleeping. She was exhausted after 2 hours of delivery. Yongsun was with her while the two other ladies were stuck at the nursery. They were so in love with Little Bean that they couldn’t take their eyes off him.  Yongsun held Wheein’s hand and squeezed it tightly.

“You did well, Wheein ah.”

She whispered softly. She had never been proud of anyone before and Wheein was the first. She was proud of the younger woman for being so brave for all this time. She was glad that Wheein chose to seek her and Yongsun was thankful that she was able to share this journey with her.

But now, she was worried. She was worried for Little Bean. Would Wheein give him up? How could she give him up when he’s looking so much like her? She started envisioning her future with Wheein and Little Bean. Getting home to her beloved wife and son. Wouldn’t that be the best?

She turned her attention to the tired woman. Wheein must have exerted her energy; she was sleeping so peacefully. And Yongsun misses her. Just then, Wheein fidgeted in her sleep and slowly opened her eyes.

The first person she saw was the one person she’s deeply in love with. She felt comforted even though the pain was still lingering. And Yongsun was holding to her hand tightly.

“How are you feeling?”

Yongsun’s worried voice was getting to Wheein. She felt loved once again.

“I’m okay. Just a little tired.”

“Little Bean is so handsome. He looks just like you.”

“You saw him?”

“Yeah, the nurse brought him to us. He’s so beautiful, Wheein ah.”

Wheein smiled widely; she nodded. She saw her son earlier on. The moment he was born; he was screaming his lungs out. Wheein cried along with him; those were tears of joy. She slowly sat up and Yongsun immediately went to her aid. She allowed Wheein to lean on her chest as she adjusted the pillow properly.

Wheein’s nose was pressed against her neck; she inhaled deeply and took in Yongsun’s scent. Yongsun smells like lavender. And it calmed Wheein down greatly. Then she felt Yongsun gently laid her down against the pillow before holding on to her hands again. Their fingers intertwined.

The two just stared at each other; smiles were exchanged, and their eyes sparkled. Love was indeed there; they could sense it yet they were afraid to embrace each other.

When would they realize that they love each other? And it was okay to face this world together? When would they finally take the last step and be with one another?

God knows.

-

“Congratulations, Miss Jung! The baby is really cute!”

Wheein could only grimace. The social welfare officer came to visit her and probably taking over the adoption papers and process. Wheein had signed on the documentation that she would give up her child for adoption. So the hospital sent the officer down.

Wheein was holding her newborn son in her arms. She was having her me-time with her boy when the officer knocked on the door. Her facial expression changed the moment she realized who this woman was.

“Are you going to take him now?”

“No, he will stay with you for a week while we search for couples who are looking to adopt.”

“Oh, so I get to look after him?”

“Yes, you may. And if you’re planning to change your mind, you have a week to inform me.”

“Oh, I can re-think about my decision?”

“Yes you may. As much as we want to help you but we still allow you to carefully think it through before making a decision to give up on your baby. He’s your son. But after one week, the documents you signed will be notarized and you can’t change that anymore.”

Wheein wanted to rethink.

-

Little Bean now has a name. Ben Jung. Just Ben with no Korean name. Wheein wanted her son to have a simple name; a name that she could remember if she decides to give him up for adoption. She brought the baby back to the apartment much to Moonbyul’s delight. Hyejin was equally excited. The little guy was the only one that could make them skip lectures and tutorials.

“Byul Unnie, Hyejin, shouldn’t you two be in class now?”

“It’s okay. We can skip for today. Ben is so cute that we cannot leave!”

“Wheein ah, we can look after Ben for you. You take a rest.”

“Yeah, it must have been tiring looking after him.”

And even before Wheein could react, the two kidnapped the little one with his milk bottle and diapers back into their room that these two shared together. Wheein chuckled softly; but she welcomed that me-time.

Wheein slumped onto the sofa; stretching her legs out. She stayed up last night because Little Ben just couldn’t stop crying. It was tiring to look after an infant; he demanded so much attention from Wheein. She closed her eyes and was about to fall into slumber when she felt someone lifted her feet up and rested against something soft.

She didn’t have to guess who that person was.

“You must be tired looking after Ben last night.”

Wheein smiled and then shook her head.

“He’s my responsibility, Unnie. I need to apologize to you though. You must have been difficulties sleeping with Ben screaming at the top of his lungs.”

“I’m more worried for you. His screams were scary. And he couldn’t even tell you what he wanted. You must have been frustrated. I saw you last night. You were having a war within yourself.”

“I was confused as to what I was supposed to do with him. He refused his milk; I have changed his diapers – yet he was still screaming. At one point, I thought he was just being evil.”

Yongsun laughed but continued to massage Wheein’s calves gently. Wheein’s legs were perfectly resting on Yongsun’s lap. Once again, Wheein’s heart pumped so rapidly at Yongsun’s tender touch. She wanted it more than just this. Wheein could imagine Yongsun touching in her sacred areas and Wheein was alarmed that she was slightly by that thought.

She sat up immediately; leaving Yongsun confused. But she offered a quick smile.

“You must be hungry. I made breakfast this morning. Let me prepare for you.”

Wheein stood up and left for the kitchen before things get disastrous. She wouldn’t want to lose control. Not in front of Yongsun. She took a deep breath and poured a bowl of porridge for the woman she loves.

Yongsun followed her to the kitchen and settled down at the dining table. She watched Wheein as the younger woman moved around the kitchen; preparing for her breakfast. Yongsun loves this. She felt like her whole life has been blessed and that Wheein has given her the reason to live once again.

And Wheen stood next to her; Yongsun’s eyes were fixated at her. Wheein is now a mother of an infant; she has matured far more than the last time Yongsun set her eyes on Wheein for the first time. That maturity has turned the high school girl into a beautiful woman.

And Yongsun has decided. She had to do something to make Wheein hers.

-

Wheein was alone in the house with her Little Ben. The ladies were out; probably attending lecturers and tutorials. Little Ben was tucked like a burrito and he was sleeping peacefully. Wheein gazed dreamily at him.

She was grateful for his arrival. And she was thankful that Ben looks a lot like her. In fact, Ben is the carbon copy of Jung Wheein. She laid on her side; facing Ben who was sleeping next to her. He has her dimples and he has them on both sides of his cheeks. Gosh, he’s so beautiful and Wheein couldn’t take her eyes off her son.

Then her thoughts drifted to the adoption process. She has less than 2 days to make up her mind whether she’s going to raise Ben or give him up to a family who can do better than her. She could bring the boy up on her own, but she was worried of his future. How people would look at him; growing up without a father.

Single mothers in South Korea is like a taboo. They are not readily accepted into the society because the notion of being a single mother is unwed women. And the child is considered illegitimate. Wheein doesn’t want her son to be labelled as that.

It was her mistake. It was her fault. He didn’t choose to be born into the world. She brought him to life because of her stupidity. Her ex-boyfriend; that jerk was long forgotten. He had never even tried to reach out to Wheein for the last few months. And Wheein has thrown him away from her life; she doesn’t need him.

Her mother was informed of the arrival of her first grandchild, but she has never turned up at the hospital or the apartment either. Wheein had lost hope in having contact with her again and she felt horrible just thinking about it. With tears falling at the corner of her eyes, Wheein caressed her baby boy’s cheeks with the back of her hand. Her heart ached so badly. He shouldn’t be facing this while growing up. He should grow up and enjoy his childhood instead of facing the adversity of the cruel world as an illegitimate child and unwed mother.

“Ben, I’m sorry. I think it’s better for you to live with a family who can provide you with love, proper family and a life that you will grow to love. Omma, Omma can’t give you the best of everything.”

Tender age of 22, Wheein barely could provide for herself. How could she raise this baby with her miserable pay working at the library? She doesn’t even have complete education to work in a better environment.

“I’m so sorry, baby. Omma must give you up. You will be loved by your new family. And I love you so much, Ben.”

Little Ben whined in his sleep and Wheein’s heart was broken. And the little one burst out in tears; screaming at the top of his lungs. Wheein quickly grabbed him and held her darling close to her chest. She was crying as well.

Her heart was tearing apart but she had no choice.

“Are you angry with me, Ben? Please don’t be mad with me. It’s for your own good, darling. I want only the best for you, Ben. You will understand, right?”

She has made up her mind. Ben needs a proper family.

-

“What? Are you serious?!”

Moonbyul was crestfallen when Wheein told them of her decision to give Ben up for adoption.

“Wheein ah, this is your son! How could you just throw him away just like that?”

Hyejin was obviously against the idea. The pair was trying to dissuade Wheein from giving up on Ben. They have grown to love the little one and it would kill them if Ben lives apart from them.

“I’m sorry, Byul unnie, Hyejin. I’m not strong enough to raise him by myself. He’s going to be labelled by the society and he might live his life in a broken world.”

“Then don’t let it happen to him. You can protect him. You’re his mother!”

Hyejin was pissed and Wheein was desperate. She didn’t have a choice. She wished Hyejin would understand her. Moonbyul had to pull Hyejin back to the room. She knew Wheein was at her end wits.

Yongsun, however, was still staring blankly in space. It was a shocking revelation and her worst fears came true. Wheein would give Ben up to someone else. Yet Yongsun couldn’t find any comforting words because she knew Wheein had thought this through before making this painful decision.

Ben was sleeping his crib; oblivious to the world around him. And Yongsun’s eyes were fixated on him. For the past few days, Yongsun spent her nights with Ben. She would hold him and place him on her chest as she sang a soft lullaby in his ears. Ben would fall asleep so easily; as long as he was in Yongsun’s arms.

Both shared a connection. Yongsun was completely in love with Little Ben.  And she was keeping her silence; avoiding Wheein’s eyes. That made Wheein felt worse than she was before.

“Are you mad at me too, Unnie?”

“I know you don’t have much choice.”

“But you wish that I could be a little bit braver and raise Ben, right?”

“You’re a brave woman, Wheein. You carried him in you for the last 9 months. You gave birth to him all on your own with no one by your side. You’re a wonderful mother for giving him the best of you.”

Wheein’s tears fell.

“But sometimes all these could be too much for you to handle. And I know you’re worried that people will look down on him because he has no father. I’m not blaming you, Wheein. If I could point a finger, I would direct it to the society. They make us like this.”

“I don’t want to give Ben up, Unnie. I’m breaking apart inside. My heart felt like someone was trying to pull it away and I’m scared, Unnie. I’m terrified that I might regret giving him up because I love him. I love my son, Unnie! I do!”

Yongsun jumped on her feet and lunged towards Wheein. She pulled the woman in and embraced her tightly. Nobody knew. Nobody could never understand how a mother would sacrifice anything – just to make sure that her child has the best of the world even if she must leave his side for that.

But Yongsun knows that she needs to protect Wheein.

“Everything will be fine. We will just see how it goes. For now, just spend your last 2 days with Ben.”

“You’re not mad at me?”

“You have your reasons. You’re dying inside now. And I don’t have the right to make it worse further for you.”

Wheein cried in Yongsun’s embrace.

-

The day arrived. Moonbyul, Hyejin and Wheein were waiting for the social welfare officer. Wheein was cradling Ben in her arms; her hands were tightly enveloping the little one. Her heart was beating so fast that she thought she might die.

Hyejin kept staring at Little Ben; her eyes were watery. And Wheein felt sorry for her friend. They made up last night when Hyejin finally understood what Wheein was going through. She was convinced that Wheein wouldn’t give up on her baby if she could have the support that she needed.

Moonbyul was holding on to the diaper bag. The atmosphere was sombre. And Ben wasn’t sleeping. His eyes were open; he has been whining so much. Wheein’s heart ached more each time.

The officer was looking through the file; they were waiting for Ben’s new family. Yongsun wasn’t there. She couldn’t be there. It would be the most painful moment for her; so she asked Moonbyul to look out for Wheein.

“Okay, the family is reaching here in 10 minutes. I’ll leave you alone with your baby.”

The officer got up and left the room. Moonbyul, Hyejin and Wheein glanced down to the little one. Tears were falling and the mother of the baby was desperate to hold her son a little bit longer.

“Ben, I’m sorry.”

Hyejin and Moonbyul pulled Wheein in the middle before the group hug. They were staring at Ben and caressed his cheeks. Hyejin took out a silver chain and put it around Ben’s neck. Wheein looked at her; surprised.

“Moonbyul unnie and I got this chain for him. We engraved his name Ben Jung on the locket. If one day, if we happen to see him on the streets, we can recognize him with this chain.”

Hyejin’s voice was inaudible and Wheein felt terrible. This was a huge mistake. She wasn’t the only one who couldn’t bear to give him up; her friends love him too. And they were suffering as much as she did. But there was nothing they could do. The documents she signed already have legal force in it.

“Ben, be a good boy. Love your new parents well okay? If God allows, we will see you again, little one.”

Moonbyul kissed Ben’s forehead; followed by Hyejin. Wheein was dying inside. She held on to Ben tightly.

“It’s time. The family is here.”

God, save her. Save her heart. Please save Wheein.

-