five

Collide

HE LET THAT THING SLEEP ON MY BED. I just arrived home after a tiring shift, initially wanted to drop my body for some energizing sleep, but instead, I found the thing not only using my bed, but also my blanket.

I sigh at the sight then rush to find Baobao.

---

He's in his room.

I knock on his door first, then try to open it. Since it's not locked, I just walk in right away.

He's doing his homework when I come. And as he takes a glance at me, he bites his bottom lip then presses his eyes, in fear.

I sigh.

"You know I never want to get mad at you, right?"

He nods, while still in fear.

"I'm disappointed that you let it come to my room, when you know I don't like animals."

I hold his shoulder.

"Now, can you please move it away from my room?"

He opens his eyes, looking at me.

"That's it?" He asks.

I furrow my eyebrows.

"Why, there should be more?"

"Uhh...."

"Wait a minute. What did you do, Baobao?"

He gulps.

"Spill--it."

"I..." He bites his lip again.

"I actually put it there because...."

He suddenly jumps to his bed and covers himself with his blanket.

"It peed on your bed and I didn't know what to do about it!" He shouts.

I twitch my face and press my eyes together.

For a while, I forgot that he's only a kid. How can he know how to take care of a dog? And cleaning a bedsheet?

I've been disturbing his childhood by making him have to take care of himself until I come home everyday already.

I could've dropped it on the street when he's still at school, but I didn't. Thus, it's become my responsibility. I'm the adult.

These were probably why I was super sulky in the morning.

I walk to his bed and sits on its edge. I mutter, "Hey, it's alright. I'll clean it for now."

He opens his blanket to peek a bit.

"Let's learn how to take care of it together, okay?" I smile at him.

---

We need to get some things to start living with the thing on my bed, I think. And since I don't know where to start, I'm taking Baobao to the free vet clinic.

"Wow, you're such a busy human today." I blurt that in a flat tone. It should sound like a sarcasm, because I really didn't expect to see him here.

How is he willing to work here in the morning, then cafeteria in the afternoon, and now here again in the evening?

"Not really. We only have very few visitors today." He mutters. That's not what I meant, but who cares.

As he notices that it's me by looking at my face, he chuckles. "I didn't know that you're as this driven to see me." He can't seem to drop the annoying-arrogant-cashier persona yet, ever.

"We just met in the cafeteria and now you even bring me a friend." He smirks to himself then suddenly tilts his head to peek at Baobao.

"Heey, who is this cute little guy here?" He's trying to sound cute while showing off his wide grin.

But instead, Baobao hides behind me. "I'm 8 already, I'm not little." He sounds annoyed. Even my brother isn't interested in you. Lol.

"Okay, so you're a big guy. What's the name of this big guy, then?" He's still trying so hard to sound cute.

My brother starts tugging my shirt. He probably wants to ask me whether I allow him to tell his name or not. I don't.

"Ah, I know it! It starts with Sun, right?" You don't say?

But he still doesn't want to give up. He's wasting our time.

"So, you're Sun what?"

"I'm not supposed to talk with strangers." Baobao blurts.

The guy furrows his eyebrows as he turns to me, "Just what have you brainwashed him with?" He twitches his face.

"Ugh." I roll my eyes, groaning. "Aren't you going to ask us what you should help us with, or what? We're leaving if you're not."

"Okay," He pauses. "—so what do you guys want me to help you with? You don't even bring any animal, though?"

I clench my teeth and squint.

"We only want to ask you something."

"Which is?"

"The things we should get to start taking care of a dog."

"Huh?" He looks really confused.

I sigh.

"Should we get some bath necessities or what?" I roll my eyes. "Come on, you're the one who knows stuff here."

He chuckles, then furrows an eyebrow. "You could've just looked it up on the internet." He mutters.

"Uh, that." I blurt that while I raise my lip corner on one side. But suddenly I gasp, and immediately bend to reach Baobao's level.

"I didn't say anything just know, ok? You heard nothing." I tell him.

"Pfffttt." The guy starts.. being himself.

I turn back to him.

"Just tell us the list already."

"Really, why didn't you try Google? You don't have to come all the way here."

"It's easier this way than reading." I roll my eyes. I made the wrong decisionby coming here. "So you want to help us or not?"

He purses his lips.

"Alright, we're leaving." I grab my brother's hand and drag him to the door.

"Hey, calm down. We're about to close in a few minutes, anyway."

I let out a heavy sigh.

"But I think, I'm available to go with you guys shopping tonight."

My nose crinkles to the thought. "Ugh, no thanks. I'll just take care of it according to what I know."

"Huh?"

"Some people give their dogs the excess food that their family can't finish, right? They also clean the dogs with human's bathing products." I roll my eyes. "So, bye."