New kid

That was his name...

 

 

 

  

I’m seeing Busan in 5 years. I’d be lying if i said that nothing’s changed. The buildings and the roads are the same as they were back then,but the faces, I don’t recognize any of them.

 I remember, around 6 years ago, jong in and i used to  come to this same place , sit at the same table and drink something like I’m doing right now.
   Well today I didn’t go for the cheapest coffee i could find as i did back then.
  I laughed at the memory..how happy we were back then..

I sipped my coffee as i thought of the day i first saw him. Likewise, the memories of the whole year i cherish the most came flooding back to me.
 And I couldn’t even decide whether to laugh or to cry as they did...


6 YEARS AGO
 

Just another Monday morning. I went to school early as usual, sat in my usual spot near the window and kept looking out of it till the bell rang.
 It was just another day of school, that was, until he stepped into our class.
           A new handsome transfer student.
 That was enough for the girls and boys to make the whole day noisy. 
Did i care? For this day I’m sure that I didn’t. Not when he came and sat next to me, not when he ignored me, or when he slept throughout the lesson. 
 Because i was used to being alone and shut down the world around me. 
      But it changed that monday.

 I went to lunch carrying a novel and sat alone in the table at the corner as i always did. Eating and reading,  thats how i spent my lunch break.

But that day a new figure joined me at the table. I didn’t object, I couldn’t to tell you the truth as my focus was on the book.
 That was when i decided to change my habit of reading while eating.
 My sixth got the sense of this change so i looked up. And to my suprise it was the new kid, Kim Jong In.
 I kept starring at him because I couldn’t understand why he sat at this table. And He caught me staring at him. He must have seen the questioning look in my eyes.

       “ other tables are noisy” he said.
 
I nodded and lowered my head, thinking whether to go back to reading or not. I shouldn’t. With a new kid sitting  in front of me. I decided and went back to eating. 
           “ What’s your name?” Jongin asked.      
           
           “ Kyungsoo. Do kyungsoo”                                          
   

He nodded and smiled slightly.
   I can’t remember whether i returned the smile.