Chapter 2: Fire Beams and Shoulder Accidents

Get Off My Case
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh come on Jihyo-ah. Don’t be like that.”

 

“You guys knew I was against this!” Jihyo exclaimed, frustration making its way into her veins. “But you still went behind my back like that?”  

 

She hadn’t understood the hype behind the so-called-superhero. Was sure a dorky teenager was hiding behind the mask, at least she wished it was. The girl was anything but mature. Sadly for her, she had experienced it first hand on the job that was supposed to be it for her, had worked hard on the case for months, only for the superhero to show up and steal the show from her. It was supposed to give her the promotion she well deserved. Instead, she had to wait four more months to break another case, finally earning the detective title with it. 

 

“Get over yourself Jihyo. It’s not about friends here; we need to solve a case.” Nayeon responded, rolling her eyes. “Which she can help us with, or would you rather have more people be in danger because of your hatred for the girl?”

 

“She’s a kid; we can’t just involve her into this.” 

 

“Sorry to break your bubble but,” Sana started, looked up from the papers on her desk that she was currently going through, still wishing for that breakthrough. “She isn’t exactly a normal kid. And we don’t even know who’s behind the mask, don’t judge so quick.” 

 

“I doubt that she’s older than nineteen though.”

 

“You don’t know that.”

 

“Exactly. Her actions would more likely cause me to guess that she’s around fourteen.” 

 

Sana let out a deep, exaggerated sigh while she leaned back into her chair, looking at the girl with a smile. “My dear Jihyo-ah, if she’s nineteen that would mean you’re only three years older. No reason to call her a kid.”

 

“You’re the same age as me!”

 

“You don’t see me calling her a kid though babe,” Sana replied, shooting her a kiss and wink through the air.

 

Quirking her eyebrow, the younger titled her head. Their desks stood against each other, the computers on both their desks made it difficult to look at the older girl. “You’re just defending her because you think she’s cute. Like you think every girl is.” Sana just shrugged, a smile already making its way onto her face, couldn’t even deny what she had said. Could only agree with the truth. “You’re unbelievable.” Jihyo scoffed.

 

Nayeon had been quietly sitting in her chair, her desk that had been attached to both Jihyo’s and Sana’s, connecting all three of them. She had been going over the evidence once again. The said detective had never felt so lost in a case, couldn't just let it go. There had to be something on the security footage that could lead them somewhere, anywhere. 

 

The weird thing was, the break-ins had no type of pattern. The items that were stolen didn’t add up either. Thieves often had one thing in mind; it was either money that was taken or something that could deliver them a lot of money. It was always about money. But this time, it wasn't even close to that, because nothing ended up getting stolen. Stores were broken into but left the same way as how they came in. It didn’t make sense, it was so random, almost like they were trying to—

 

“What if it’s all just a cover-up?”

 

“Cover up? For what?” 

 

With a shrug, Nayeon answered. “Something big.”

 


“Tzuyu’s birthday is coming up.” Chaeyoung suddenly spoke from beside Dahyun. The pair were hanging out at the younger one her dorm. Because yes, believe it or not, the superhero still went to school. 

 

She had started studying at the university in Seoul last year, major still undecided. Dahyun figured she could take some classes here and there that could lead her to get enough credits and figure it all out on her way— something that never occurred. Her accident happened a month before her first year finished. January. Missed three weeks due to the crash, but she still decided to continue going to school. The superhero didn’t want to give up on the one part that kept her going, made her feel like she was still a bit human.

 

Her second year started in mid-February, had hoped that by the end of the first year she would’ve officially chosen her major, but she didn’t. Sadly, she still had to pick something to go further into the second year. But with everything happening, her mind changed. She got an entirely different opinion about choosing majors in college. Dahyun was never the one who thought she could major in her hobby, to make a career out of it, but she simply didn’t care anymore now that she didn’t have to live between the particular aspects of life. Felt like she should just do something that made her happy, like her friends and family always told her to do. So at the start of her second year, she chose to major in Music, specifically the production of it. 

 

And it certainly was hard when the annoying beep from her stranger danger device— Jeongyeon still hadn’t named it— kept going off in class.

 

“She’ll finally be able to drink legally, that’s fun,” Dahyun responded, scrolling through her Twitter.

 

“You know she doesn’t even like alcohol Dahyun,” Chaeyoung responded, rolling her eyes with a smile while she looked at the girl sitting next to her on the couch. She turned around and leaned into the back of the couch, phone laying in her lap. Also reached over to take the other girl her phone too. 

 

“Hey!”

 

“We’re throwing a surprise party for her. Are you coming?”

 

Dahyun reached over first, tried to take her phone back, Chaeyoung only leaning back further in the couch, arm up in the air with her phone in it. “Will you give me back my phone?”

 

The younger just looked at her. “Depends, do you have time to celebrate your best friend her birthday?”

 

With a frown, the superhero leaned back into the couch, tried to not stress too much about the fact that a text from the lab could be coming in at any second. “Of course I am Chae. I wouldn’t miss it.”

 

The blonde girl didn’t answer, looked at her lap instead. Dahyun saw the way opened and closed again when she looked up. “What is it?”

 

“It’s just…” Chaeyoung started. “You’ve been distant ever since the, uh, you know, accident… And I get it! It’s totally fine— I mean if that’s the way you deal with it then we can respect that, we just wish you would come to us if you’re having a hard time since we’re your best friends?”

 

“I’ve just been busy. I’m sorry.” The superhero answered, looked everywhere but at the girl sitting next to her.

 

“I shouldn’t have mentioned it, God, now I’m making you think about it again, Dahyun I’m sorry.”

 

The older immediately reac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter