the girl who brewed

of spells and potions

"So you haven't seen him since then?" Minju asks. 

"No, not really..." Chaewon tilts her head, trying to go through her recent memories, "Oh wait!"

"Probably saw him in the common room, right? Man why does he even matter, he's just another annoying douchebag, nothing to talk about," Yujin leans back on one of the pillars, accidentally kicking Chaewon in the process, "Oops, sorry." 

Chaewon rolls her eyes and adjusts her position, "I don't know how I forgot this, but I saw him with Wonyoung a few weeks back." 

Yujin immediately shoots up, "Wonyoung?! What was she doing with him? Was he bullying her? Oh he's gonna get a piece of my fist." 

"Don't worry, warrior Ahn, I already dealt with it," Chaewon replies, "And no, he wasn't, but he was trying to pressure her into teaching one of his juniors to fly or something. Now that I think about it, it doesn't even make sense. Isn't he the self-proclaimed best Slytherin keeper? Shouldn't he teach his junior?" 

"You settled it?" Yujin tilts her head and squints her eyes, "Why?"

Chaewon rolls her eyes, "Oh c'mon. He was being annoying and she needed help. That's all there is to it. Besides, she's on the team, I can't let her be affected by him." 

Yujin doesn't budge, "So you're sure you have no other intentions?" 

Chaewon heaves a sigh, "No, Yujin. She's just a teammate. Why do you care so much though?" she teases.

"N-no reason. She's my close friend, I can't let him do that to her!" 

"Is that so?" Chaewon gives Yujin a look and Yujin looks away with a 'hmph'.

After a long period of silence, Minju finally speaks up. 

"What exactly did you do to him, Chaewon?" 

"Nothing, okay. I didn't jinx him. I just told him to stop bothering her before I cast another spell on him," Chaewon shrugs.

"And he fell for it?" Yujin laughs, "Didn't headmistress specifically say you'd be expelled if you do it again?" 

"Suspended, actually," Chaewon replies, "I mean... if he deserves it, I'd gladly do it again." 

Minju purses her lips and asks, "You're willing to get suspended for Wonyoung?" 

"T-that... Oh c'mon, I'm not interested in Wonyoung like that, I swear on my mother's 100% catch rate," Chaewon mutters under her breath, "Not her, anyway." 

Unfortunately, Yujin heard it. 

"WAIT, Kim Chaewon likes someone?" she says a little too loudly for Chaewon's liking.

"Yah, shut up!" 

"You do?" Minju asks softly. 

"N-no, I don't!" Chaewon defends, but her face gradually turns redder and Yujin just has to point it out. 

"Your face is red! Oh god, who is it! Is she in your house? In the Quidditch team? Is she pretty? What year is she in?" Yujin bombards Chaewon with questions while Minju stays quiet. 

(They don't notice, but Minju's face gets darker with every question) 

"It's not!" Chaewon covers her cheeks, "It's no one, I don't like anyone!" 

"Then why are you so defensive, huh? Tell us Chaewon, te--" 

She's interrupted when Minju abruptly stands up.

"I forgot, I have a makeup class with Professor Flitwick now. I'll catch up with the two of you next week," she says, 70% of her body facing Yujin. 

"Oh, bye!" Yujin waves, seemingly unable to notice the change in Minju's mood. 

Chaewon sighs, "Look at that, you made her annoyed with your whining." 

"That's not it! Yujin is cute," she pokes her cheek and Chaewon pushes her hand away. 

"You're so annoying."  

"I know," Yujin cheekily replies, then snaps her fingers, "Oh wait, I forgot! I had to ask Minju something. See you next week, Chaewon!" 

Chaewon watches as Yujin runs after Minju and sighs. 

Professor Flitwick doesn't even have classes on Thursday afternoons. 

-

"Don't you think that was too obvious?" Yujin's voice startles Minju.

"What're you doing here? Where's Chaewon?" Minju stops in her tracks.

Yujin dramatically sighs, "That's what I mean by too obvious. I told Chaewon I had to ask you something." 

"I'm still not following?" 

Giving another dramatic sigh, Yujin replies, "You like Chaewon, don't you?"

Minju tilts her head, "Yeah, but so do you? And Wonyoung, apparently," she mumbles the last part.

Yujin shakes her finger, "No no. I like Chaewon as in we're friends and I love her as a friend. You," Yujin points at Minju, "like her in that you want to date and kiss her, don't you?"

"Huh?" Minju leans back out of shock, "I.. That's.... that's not how I," she sighs and relents, "Is it that obvious?" 

"To me, an intellectual, yeah. To Chaewon? Probably not. The girl is denser than osmium."

"Osmium?" 

"Yeah it's the most dense muggle meta- wait no that's not the point! The point is how you're going to deal with it," Yujin pulls Minju to stand at the side of hallway. 

"Didn't you hear her? She likes someone else," Minju laments. 

"Uh-uh," Yujin shakes her head, "She likes someone. No one said it couldn't be you." 

Minju rolls her eyes, "It's Chaewon, you know. If it was me that she likes, she would've confessed a long time ago," she pauses, "Besides, we don't even know if she swings that way!"  

Yujin stares at Minju with raised eyebrows, "Please tell me you're kidding. Chaewon reeks of useless gay." 

Minju doesn't know about 'useless', but now that Yujin mentions it, Chaewon might actually be gay.

She gets reminded of Chaewon talking about how cute Wonyoung is and of Chaewon talking about how one of her Quidditch teammates was 'drop dead gorgeous'. 

"Okay.. but that doesn't really solve the 'she doesn't like me' problem. Because she doesn't," Minju sighs. 

"I swear on Wonyoung, Chaewon probably has a thing for you," Yujin says, not noticing her tongue-slip. 

"On Wonyoung, huh," Minju squints her eyes at Yujin. 

"N-nothing! Ignore that!" Yujin waves her hand away, "The point is! You should do something before someone else snatches Chaewon away." 

Minju raises her eyebrows at Yujin, "You're one to talk. When are you going to confess to Wonyoung?" 

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Yujin sticks her fingers in her ears and sticks her tongue out at Minju, who is unfazed. 

"..."

Yujin stops, "Okay yeah, I like her. But I'm not going to do that. Not gonna risk our friendship," Yujin sighs, "Well, worse come to worst, there's always amortentia right?" she jokes, "Anyways, I really should get going. I have class with Professor McGonagall later. Kinda don't wanna get called out in front of the whole class. See you 'round, Minju!" 

As Minju watches Yujin's back getting farther away, she thinks about Yujin's suggestion. 

Amortentia... hmm.

-

Two months later.

"You can't possibly think this is a good idea," Yujin is walking with Minju, who has a small capped vial of something. 

Minju huffs, "Please, you were the one who suggested it." 

"Yeah, but I didn't expect you to actually go and brew it without my knowing! I didn't even know you were capable of brewing it!" 

Rolling her eyes, Minju replies, "What, you wanted in?" 

"W-wha, no! I would've stopped you. God, how is it you're a top student but you don't see what a horrible idea this is?" Yujin shakes her head, "Also, won't Chaewon find it out?" 

"I'll just obliviate her or something," Minju mentions offhandedly. 

"And possibly cause her brain damage? Yeah, that's not happening on my watch." 

"Okay fine! If she finds out then I'll tell her I accidentally gave it to her when I was supposed to give it to someone else. That'd work, wouldn't it?" 

Yujin ponders on it. 

"Actually, yeah it cou- WAIT NO, that's not the point! This isn't the right way to do it. You don't even know if Chaewon likes you back!" 

"I think... I know who Chaewon likes, actually..." Minju heaves a sigh. 

"Wait, who? How do I not know this?" 

"I overheard her and Wonyoung the other day..." 

-

Two weeks ago.

"So... this might be a little bit too straightforward..." Wonyoung trailed off. 

"Yeah?" 

Wonyoung and Chaewon were walking back to the castle together after quidditch practice. 

"I like Yujin. Like... I like like her," Wonyoung confesses.

"Yeah. I know." 

"Right, so I was thinking-- Wait, you know?!" 

Chaewon shrugs, "It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, y'know." 

"Am I that obvious?" 

"You are aware that Yujin's name comes out of almost every sentence you say to me, right?" 

"What else am I supposed to talk to you about?" Wonyoung defended.

"Quidditch. Schoolwork. Our housemates. Oh, I don't know, the weather?" Chaewon mocked with a grin on her face. 

Wonyoung panicked, "Does Yujin know though?" 

Chaewon tilted her head, "Hmm. Knowing her, she probably thinks she's out of your league. So no, I don't think she does." 

"Oh phew. I don't want her to find ou-- wait, out of MY league?" Wonyoung's eyes widened in shock, "But... no! If anything, I'm outta her league." 

Chaewon dramatically sighed, "Both of you are in each other's league. Just date already, damn it. You're making the singles feel bad." 

"Single?" 

"Yeah, like..." Chaewon gestured to her face with her hand. 

"Wait. So you're not dating?" 

"Dating? Me? Who in the world???" Chaewon was visibly confused. 

"Oh my god. I can't believe I got it all wrong... and Yujin didn't even bother correcting me! I'm taking it back, I hate her!" Wonyoung angrily pouted and stomped her feet.

"Okay, lil baby. Don't need to get so mad," Chaewon tiptoed and patted Wonyoung's head, "But you didn't answer me, who the hell did you think I was dating?" 

"Oh you know, just Kim Min--" Wonyoung got interrupted when a familiar voice sounded.

"Chaewon?" 

'Speak of the devil,' Wonyoung thought, 'Except Minju is an angel. Huh, that doesn't really work.' 

"Oh, hey Minju." Chaewon's smile grew and her steps quickened, walking towards the girl, "Where are you going?" 

Wonyoung wanted to roll her eyes. 

Even if they weren't dating, Chaewon was so obvious. 

-

Yujin stares at Minju with a raised eyebrow. 

"What?" 

"Okay. You say you heard Wonyoung say 'Kim Min', and correct me if I'm wrong, but your name kinda has both 'Kim' and 'Min', right?" Yujin asks. 

"I know, I thought of that too. But you know who else does?" 

Yujin shakes her head immediately, "I literally do not know any other 'Kim Min'. Like... at all. It's you, you idiot!" 

Minju sighs, "Kim Minkyung. She's in Slytherin." 

"Oh wait, yeah, I think I've heard of that name." 

"She's in the Quidditch team too, you know." 

"That doesn't mean anything. Chaewon's 'Kim Min' could still be you!" 

"Chaewon has, on three separate occasions, talked about how cool and pretty this Kim Minkyung is."

"That doesn't mean anything! She calls you pretty too, doesn't she?" 

"Well," Minju's face turns a light shade of pink, "Yeah, she has. But that's because we're friends, it's like... a friend thing." 

"Chaewon calls me the spawn of satan," Yujin deadpans. 

"You kinda are..." 

Yujin tilts her head, thinking about it, before finally nodding, "Fair point. But hey, Chaewon jinxed that guy to protect you!" 

"She also said she'd risk getting suspended to protect Wonyoung from him. It's just how she's like towards her friends," Minju sighs. 

"But-!" 

"Anyways," Minju interrupts, "It's not me. It can't be me. Have you seen that Kim Minkyung? She's tall, pretty and good at Quidditch. Why would Chaewon choose me over her?" 

"Exactly. Tall, pretty, good at Quidditch, aka completely out of Chaewon's league. C'mon, you have a chance!!! And not one that involves using a love potion." 

"I'm doing it, Yujin. One day of Chaewon loving me is enough, then I'll get over her." 

"Okay, but how do you expect no one to be suspicious when you're walking in with that vial?" 

"I'm not an idiot, I'm gonna put it in a drink and say it's what the muggles call 'isotonic', or something," Minju holds up her other hand, which is holding a bottle of pocari sweat. 

"But!"

"No buts," Minju strides away, walking to the Slytherin quidditch room. 

Unfortunately for Minju, the first person she sees in the room is Wonyoung, who tilts her head at the sight of her. 

"Are you looking for Chaewon? She's not in yet!" the girl tells Minju. 

"Ah, it's okay! I just wanted to give her this drink," Minju passes the bottle to Wonyoung, "I heard it was good for exercising or something?" 

"Oh!" Wonyoung exclaims, "It's Pocari! Ah, I miss muggle drinks sometimes..." she trails off, thinking about something. 

She only snaps out of it when someone calls her. 

"Sorry, I have to go first. I'll definitely pass it to her!" Wonyoung gives Minju a thumbs up and an adorable smile. 

'Man, Wonyoung really is a cutie,' Minju thinks as she watches Wonyoung jog away. 

She decides to wait near the entrance of the room so she could get a glimpse of Chaewon in that adorable Quidditch uniform that seemed too big to fit her. 

She only has to wait for a while when Chaewon enters the room. 

"Oh? What's a Hufflepuff doing in Slytherin's quidditch room?" Chaewon teases and walks closer to Minju.

"Shut up," Minju hits Chaewon, "I just wanted you to try this muggle sports drink. Apparently it's great for you." 

"And?" Chaewon looks at Minju expectantly, "Where is it?" 

"I wasn't sure if you'd come before I had to leave so I passed it to Wonyoung. Have fun playing, Chaewon," Minju pats Chaewon on the shoulder before walking away. 

"Huh? You're not even gonna watch me practice?" 

Minju turns and smiles, "Not today, I have to meet Yujin for something." 

"Oh," Chaewon replies. 

Minju doesn't know if it's just her being too hopeful, but Chaewon's voice seemed to have a hint of disappointment in it. 

"Alright, see you later then. I'll enjoy your muggle drink deliciously," Chaewon tells Minju, then picks her broom up and runs to some of the other players. 

After their practice game, Chaewon decides to drink the muggle drink Minju bought her. 

"Hey, Wonyoung," Chaewon calls out to the girl, who turns around and nods, "Minju said she passed you some... drink to give to me?" 

"Oh, yeah!" Wonyoung scurries to somewhere and comes back with the bottle in her hand, "Here! It's a really good drink. My mom used to buy it for me all the time!" 

Chaewon hums and opens the bottle. It's an odd translucent-y colour and Chaewon's first instinct is to smell it. 

"Huh. Of all things to expect, I didn't expect this to smell like roses." 

"Roses?" Wonyoung questions, "I've never actually smelled it before." 

"Yeah, try smelling it," Chaewon hands the bottle to Wonyoung, who smells it. 

"Smells more like asters to me," she passes it back to Chaewon. 

"I wish I knew what that was," Chaewon laughs, then takes a gulp of it, "Hey, this tastes pretty good. Don't know how this works though, I don't seem to have a burst of energy." 

"That's not how it works with muggles, Chaewon," Wonyoung laughs, "Ah, I miss it. I haven't drank it in a while." 

"Do you want a sip?" 

"Really?" 

"Yeah, just don't finish it. Yujin might get jealous if you drink another girl's drink, you know," Chaewon teases and Wonyoung rolls her eyes at her senior. 

Wonyoung lets out a satisfied sound after drinking it, "Yep, this still tastes amazing." 

"Hey hey hey, what's that suspicious looking liquid?" 

Chaewon and Wonyoung turn around to see Minkyung and Kyungwon. 

"It's some muggle sports drink," Chaewon says, then offers it to them, "It's pretty good. Wanna try?" 

"Don't mind if I do then," Minkyung takes the bottle and drinks it, "Tastes good but," she takes a whiff of the bottle, "Smells odd. Smells like Kyungwon's stuffed puppy toy that she hugs to sleep every night." 

"HEY!" Kyungwon protests, "I just miss Kongie okay!" 

Minkyung rolls her eyes, then passes the bottle to Kyungwon, who doesn't take it. 

"My stomach doesn't agree with muggle food or drinks very well, so I'm gonna have to pass this time." 

"Unfortunate," Minkyung teases then passes the bottle back to Chaewon, "See y'all next week!" 

Within the next 15 minutes, the quidditch room was empty. 


wow i'm alive. a shorter chapter than usual but pls look forward to the mess that's gonna happen soon!

didn't proofread so all mistakes are mine. 

also decided to stick with minju because it's a habit now orz. if you have VERY strong problems with this just let me know, i'll change it or something. 

as usual, comments greatly appreciated! talk to me about chaewon ships pls