END

The Girl in the Converse Shoes

Moonbyul known as Byul had refused to go to the party a hundred times. She hate parties and loud people, she would rather be at home and play her favourite games or watch movies or just go to bed early. Still, her only two friends, Wheein and Hyejin had managed to get her out of the house that night.

 

Now she stood in the crowded living room, nursing a warm cherry cola and looking around. Her friends had ditched her as soon as they had crossed the threshold of the front door. Now she was alone in a sea of people which smells like an armpits.


A few who bumped into her would give her a weird look. “Why aren’t you wearing a costume?” a girl who bumped into her asked. Instead of answer her she ignored her. She walked away headed toward the back porch. She realized she was literally the only one who didn’t dress up. She didn’t care.

 

She’d been dragged out of the house in such short notice that she didn’t bother. So there she was in her black hoodies covers half of her face with black tight ripped jeans and black sneakers. Besides, she was a sophomore, surely too old to dress up for Halloween. Unlike the girl who just passed by complete from head to toes dress up as Elsa.

 

The October air felt comfortably cool as she stepped out onto the back porch. The dim light fell on a couple making out in a dark corner and a few people chatting on a raggedy old couch. She rolls her eyes as she pulled her hoodies as lower as she can hoping that it would cover up her face wholly. She really hate it here and she really want to go home.

 

“Byul!” she heard a giddy female voice approach. She turned to see the owner of the voice. With the hoodie covering her eyes all she could see was from the girl’s shoulders and below, she didn’t fail to notice that the girl had blonde hair and a puffy ballerina skirt. She lift her hand tried to remove her hoodies but she was stopped by the girl. The girl held her hand firmly.


“I’ve always had a crush on you”, the girl declared and kissed her softly on the lips. “See you at school”, she said before she turned and ran. Byul scrambled to remove her hoodie quickly. She only caught a glimpse of her flowing blonde hair and bright pink Converse sneakers before she disappeared around a corner.


She stayed up all night trying to figure out who the mysterious girl was. There were a few blonde girls at her school that she know of. All famous and hot. And of course all of them already have a boyfriend. So it couldn’t be one of them. But whoever she was, she really need to know who the girl is. And the only other clue she had to go on were the bright pink Converse shoes.


Byul usually walked with her eyes to the ground, hoodies covering half of her face, earphones plugged into her ears. But this morning she had a mission. So she removed her hoodies for the first time in her live in school for a better views, she need to find the blonde hair girl and bright pink Converse sneakers.

 

She was so focus on her mission as she failed to notice her surroundings. Wide eyes and breathy gasped could be heard as she walked by. They can't simply believe their eyes as how handsome and pretty Byul really was. With fair skin, long eyelashes, pointy nose, cold and y stares, she could be a model if she want. Plus her grey ash color hair make her looks even more breathtaking. It was a shocker to everyone as she was always known as a geek who was very unsocialize and a sole loner who prefer to sit alone at the back corner of the class, who hardly talk to anyone or even responded to the people around her.

 

As the news about her looks spreading like a fire around the school, she keep on looking at everyone’s shoes in the hallways, in the cafeteria, in the classrooms… She searched, her eyes darting from shoe to shoe, so much so that by fifth period she had a huge headache, as if all those shoes had each kicked her in the head.

 

The same thing went on for two more days, and for two more days she found nothing but a headache. Not to mention she started getting text from people she doesn’t even know, both from the boys and girls, some of them would even approached her in person to ask her out. Without a second thought she would rejected the boys. But for the girls…

 

"Do you have a pink Converse sneakers?" she would asked.

 

"No. Why?" they would answered her.

 

Then she would just walked away leaving them puzzled. And she would repeated the same ritual to all the girls who asked her out.

 

By Thursday, she had given up all hope and dismissed the whole thing as a joke. She was a loner anyway, not many people who understand her, and some would say bad stuff behind her back. So she decided to store the incident in the “prank” folder and just forget about it. The kiss was sweet, the girl’s lips are so soft, not to mention its taste so good, she had enjoyed it, she enjoyed it to the point she kept thinking about it every night before she goes to sleep. She sighed as the thought, so the joke was on them.


Friday rolled around and she actually felt glad not to spend her whole day in a frantic shoe-search. Hoodies back on covering her face with earphones plugged into her ears. But now she had to deal with another problem as strangers keep on bugging her by asking her either to joined their ridiculous hangout group, inviting her to their stupid parties, asking her to joined their boring club and it keep on coming nonstop.

 

She sat on her usual spot at the back with a sigh, feeling annoyed and tired with all the attention she's getting. She slumped herself against the desk, her head buried in her hands. Closing her eyes as she tried to gain her peaceful moment back. So when she feels a tap on her shoulder she finally lose herself and ready to blow up as she abruptly sat straight to look at the person preparing to give this person a peace of her mind, for the nerve to interrupted her peaceful moment.

 

But all the rage and anger and disappointment disappear like chalk powder as her eyes land on the person next to her. She blinks a few times as she couldn’t believe her eyes. She thought she must be dreaming or maybe she’s actually died from the tiredness because right now in front of her is the most beautiful, cute, smart, not to mention funniest girl in her school, Kim Yongsun.

 

The one and only Kim Yongsun which was love by her friends, by her classmate and adored by all the teachers. Always with good grades, top student, and her bright personality that makes her easier to approaches. A total opposite of Byul. Why is she here? She’s not a student in this class. Byul thought to herself.

 

“Hi, Byul”, Yongsun smiling brightly at her. Showing her cute two dimples under .

 

Byul was a bit stun as she couldn’t believe her ears, did she just call her name? But gosh, those smiles are so cute. She thought.

 

“Hey” she responded.


“Could you pass this to Wheein for me? She’s mad that I kept her silly costume for a week too long.”

 

Once again she was stun. She knew Wheein? How did she know her? Byul make a mental note to herself to ask her friend later on. “Sure.”


Yongsun handed her a paper bag full of pink fluffy clothes and what looked like a blonde wig.

 

A blonde wig?


Could it be?


Byul looked down at Yongsun’s shoes, bright pink Converse sneakers. She looked up at Yongsun once again, who was flashing a gorgeous smile. Trying hard to figures out what’s going on. Byul sat there like a rock not moving an inch, frowning hard when suddenly it’s hit her.

 

“It…it was you…”


Yongsun chuckles before slowly leaned forward, “Took you long enough”, she whispered into Byul’s ears.